emag

quality posts: 2 Private Messages emag

Eh, why not? I've started Couch 2 5k again recently, and I'm sore.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

Truly awful. Of the 12 or so models we tested, thisone was near the bottom. The programs (Waist, Shoulder, etc) are utterly meaningless and don't conform to anything in Western or Chinese medicine, i.e. acupressure or acupuncture. When I contacted the company to ask about the programs, they had no clue as to what they're based on. Worst are the analog dials used to control amplitude. Several patients got shocked when the dial was turned accidentaly in the pocket. Furthermore, they're not exact and lose precision over time. Finally, unlike digital controls, the dials do not reset or aiutomatically shut off. Several patients also told us that this model is weaker than other models.

And FYI, this is NOT a TENS unit. Even the company doesn't mention TENS is the instructions. At best, it's a mediocre EMS unit.

crazybobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crazybobblehead

After years of chronic pain after two back fusions and some odd & more recent situation with my neck and shoulders I am praying that this will help out, the only thing that has helped me otherwise have been narcotic pain killers.
Thank god! for those doctors who DID prescribe them and to h*** with the rest of them paranoid jerks....

Oh another thing, I am a techy nerdy type and I passed the info on this woot tonite to my buddies, one of them presented me with this link to a related topic:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_direct-current_stimulation

sdc100

ocelotito wrote:I've had 3 of these units and thee have completely different intensities. You get the same intensity at level 4 in one unit as a level 10 in the other. It seems that they are very inconsistent.

EXACTLY. That's because the company stu[pidly used analog potentiometers (dials) instead of digital controls, which every other model used (we tested about 12 models). Not only are they not well-calibrated, but they lose precision over time. Because of the analog controls, this was one of the few models that we told patients to avoid. Several patients even shocked themselves by accidentally cranking up the amplitude, i.e. in the pocket -- something that doesn't happen with digital controls (some models, i.e. Sharper Image, even locks the buttons).

sdc100

crazybobblehead wrote:After years of chronic pain after two back fusions and some odd & more recent situation with my neck and shoulders I am praying that this will help out, the only thing that has helped me otherwise have been narcotic pain killers.
Thank god! for those doctors who DID prescribe them and to h*** with the rest of them paranoid jerks....

Oh another thing, I am a techy nerdy type and I passed the info on this woot tonite to my buddies, one of them presented me with this link to a related topic:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcranial_direct-current_stimulation

As a neurological researcher, I can tell you that this won't help. This is NOT a TENS unit. It is a mediocre EMS unit. That means it simply stimulates the muscles to move, i.e. a massage. It will NOT block pain impulses like a TENS unit would. The instruction book wisely makes no mention of TENS because TENS are considerd medical devices regulated by the FDA.

Anbd this has nothing to do with transcranial stimulation which is not something you do on your own.

crazybobblehead

I would suspect that the knobs, AKA potentiometers become scratchy after periods of non useage, just like how when you turn up the volume on that old ghetto blaster and you hear scratchy noises, by running the control thru its range over and over you wipe clean the electrical contact area and clean off all the bumps and glitches that would be a scratchy sound or in our case here a quick burst of voltage that is probably going to give you a little bit of pain

sdc100 wrote:EXACTLY. That's because the company stu[pidly used analog potentiometers (dials) instead of digital controls, which every other model used (we tested about 12 models). Not only are they not well-calibrated, but they lose precision over time. Because of the analog controls, this was one of the few models that we told patients to avoid. Several patients even shocked themselves by accidentally cranking up the amplitude, i.e. in the pocket -- something that doesn't happen with digital controls (some models, i.e. Sharper Image, even locks the buttons).

crazybobblehead

I would be interested in finding out what frequencies, amplitudes and waveforms are working then..

(Got any links?)
I have just got my first arduino and cant wait to get going with it.. interfacing this with a neural device:
developer.neurosky.com/docs/doku.php?id=arduino_tutorial
would be very fun also.. all of this with some laser lumia projection to address those other stimili area's

sdc100 wrote:As a neurological researcher, I can tell you that this won't help. This is NOT a TENS unit. It is a mediocre EMS unit. That means it simply stimulates the muscles to move, i.e. a massage. It will NOT block pain impulses like a TENS unit would. The instruction book wisely makes no mention of TENS because TENS are considerd medical devices regulated by the FDA.

Anbd this has nothing to do with transcranial stimulation which is not something you do on your own.

sdc100

crazybobblehead wrote:I would suspect that the knobs, AKA potentiometers become scratchy after periods of non useage, just like how when you turn up the volume on that old ghetto blaster and you hear scratcy noises, by running the control thru its range over and over you wipe clean the electrical contact area and clean off all the bumps and glitches that would be a scratchy sound or in our case here a quick burst of voltage that is probably going to give you a little bit of pain

There are many reasons using analog controls is a bad idea. Many of our old test equipment also have analog dial controls. But those use quality parts that remain stable over use. This seems to use very cheap parts, and from what the other person said, it's poorly calibrated. We bought 3 of each model to test on patients but unfortunately did not check for consistency among different units of the same model. We found some $10 models on eBay that performed better -- although they lacked the meaningless LCD graphics.

crazybobblehead

Hey sdc100, sorry for changing the order of the replies, I did not know that editing my few typos would reorder everything.. Well, you mention one for $10 was better, not much I can do now that I have already ordered this one..
I will try googling whatever you were talking about with some working parameters..

Hey though, lot of people report pain relief with this unit so at least it will be in the ballpark.

Now I will figure out how to give you some rep for the good replies, it seems I have scared you off?

turika

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turika

I hope this comes back, I want one!

Spazkatt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Spazkatt

Mine just arrived today and I am officially in love, I've already used it twice today and have ordered 24 replacement pads for under $20 on Amazon! I no longer have to schedule an appointment with my chiropractor for this amazing treatment. Thanks again Woot!

slein

quality posts: 6 Private Messages slein

Just got mine. It doesn't work. Must have gotten a bad unit

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
slein wrote:Just got mine. It doesn't work. Must have gotten a bad unit

I had to fiddle with the included batteries to get mine to work.

that was fun while it lasted!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

slein wrote:Just got mine. It doesn't work. Must have gotten a bad unit

Sorry about that. You might fiddle with the batteries as mentioned above or try new ones. If that doesn't work, feel free to email support@woot.com for assistance.

I am NOT customer service.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tintar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tintar

anyone else have non/intermittent controls?

the device works in terms of general output.

but every time I turn it on, it is stuck on manual mode / massage.

none of the buttons would do anything, and the various display icons would never change. refused to go into any of the auto modes.

I called the company support number and they said that is normal, the only thing that should change is the minute timer. but that pressing the buttons will change the output anyway.

um. yeah. well, the manual says differently. and pressing the buttons does not change the output at all.

once in a while, pressing the auto buttons actually works, and the display icons change accordingly.

does this mean I got a bad unit? or is this normal for others as well?

I actually bought 2 from woot, but can't test out the 2nd one because it's a gift and the recipient won't be here to receive it until about a week from now.

thanks!!!

xaberz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xaberz

This thing is confusing to operate, but after spending half an hour I figured it out. You have to put both wires into the machine and turn on both notches.

The instructions actually tell you to test out just two pads first, so I did that, but it didn't work. I had the pads on my shoulders, and I kept on second guessing myself if it was working or not. Any sort of tingle sensation from the glue, I wondered if it was a pulse from the machine. Then I thought it was just broken, but when I decided to try it with all four pads, and I turned on both the numbers to 1 instead of just one, then it started working, and man it worked hard. At 5 it's downright painful. Just so you know.

Anyway, I'm posting this in case anyone else is having trouble. Still, the instructions are very unhelpful.