kbaker1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbaker1
edmcguirk wrote:You can try to compare last year's Nexus 7 to various cheap current tablets like the Hisense but most of the cheap tablets are missing features.

They may have cameras or SD ports that the Nexus lacks but I can't find any mention of GPS on the Hisense reviews.

I find GPS missing on many of the under $100 tablets. Some are missing bluetooth.

If you want to compare Nexus to cheap tablets, know which features you will use and read the specs carefully.

The Hisense Sero 7 Pro does have GPS, a rear camera, HDMI output, SD card slot, etc. About the only feature that it lacks compared to the Nexus 7 is a magnetic sensor to put it to sleep. And it only has 8GB of built-in memory. It works well for me, but not for my technically-challenged sister, who wouldn't know how to take advantage of the SD card slot. For her, the Nexus 7 would be a better choice.

strollin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages strollin

For those wanting to add a micro SD card slot to their Nexus 7 there is this: http://www.meenova.com/st/p/m3r.html

I have one and it works great on both my 1st & 2nd gen Nexus 7s. It's tiny, the size of a quarter. You could do the same with an OTG cable and external reader but this is smaller and more compact. You do need the Nexus Media Importer app.

bogdan00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bogdan00

Is it better getting this now for this price or waiting for black friday for any deals online for the the 2nd Gen nexus 7? Im right now dont know if there will be any deals for them

eq5150

quality posts: 6 Private Messages eq5150

The lack of storage expandability and the fact that cyber monday / black friday is arou\nd the corner makes this a deal breaker

ArtBrymer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ArtBrymer

I got all excited about this tablet, especially the price, considering I just purchased a Nexus 7 tablet yesterday for a whole lot more.

But, I realized that I have the second generation Nexus 7 tablet, instead of what Woot is selling here today.

So, I'm feeling a lot better about my purchase now, thanks!

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 6 Private Messages starmanbackwards
ArtBrymer wrote:

But, I realized that I have the second generation Nexus 7 tablet, instead of what Woot is selling here today.

So, I'm feeling a lot better about my purchase now, thanks!

are you saying that this is not the latest generation (GEN2)? where in the ad does it give which generation it is...looked for it but never found it
thanks

tindios

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tindios
pgould98 wrote:I think you need to check your information. I'm playing PvZ2 on my Android tablet right now. Came out a few weeks ago. Yeah, a bit later than iOS, but definitely worth the wait. And so far I haven't seen any differences between the two versions.

You are right.. they have finally come out with PvZ2.. Sorry, I got PvZ2 in JULY for the IOS device so by October I had given up... Wow... they managed to make it before December. ;-) I'll have to compare, but the reviews don't speak kindly of the Android version.

pgould98 wrote:
And the PvZ (Amazon Kindle Edition) my son is playing on his Kindle has all sorts of mini games. So they have been ported to Android, just not on the generally available version for generic devices.

I have NO idea what you are talking about here. The official EA port played on a Nexus has no mini games and only about 1/2 the content of the IOS version. There are in game Mini games, but the extras are NOT there. Unless there is some special "Kindle version" that doesn't suck?

steves10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steves10

I don't see anyone mentioning that this 1st gen Nexus 7 is INFAMOUS for screens that break at the slightest breath of air, and for the Google<->Asus double finger point, and lots of pushback when trying to get the screens fixed. Does anyone know if this has been addressed in the refurb process? It put me off Google, as they are completely unresponsive to their poor customers, when it was clearly a manufacturing defect.

Woot: today some 'cloudfront.net' redirect address leaves my computer hanging seemingly forever, and then presents a poorly formatted Woot screen. Fix this, or give us a heads-up please.

candjwhis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages candjwhis

When you click I Want One, it states "(Gen 1)" right above the prices...

starmanbackwards wrote:are you saying that this is not the latest generation (GEN2)? where in the ad does it give which generation it is...looked for it but never found it
thanks

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 6 Private Messages starmanbackwards
candjwhis wrote:When you click I Want One, it states "(Gen 1)" right above the prices...

oh wow.. i never went that far

ertaisi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ertaisi
haywardk wrote:I don't give a CRAP where Google wants me. I want aceess to stuff on or OFF line, all the time.

And they have lost a TON of sales on these for that maybe $4 cost saving.

And an SD slot doesn't just double the capacity it infinitely does if you carry multiple tiny cards.

Without one stuck for ever with what you bought (hopefully the 32 not 16)

Again, it's not about the cost savings of a SD port. They reckon they stand to gain a lot more by driving people into their services like Play Music and Videos, along with ads, which are still their core business.

I'm not saying you're wrong. You have a valid point, but it comes down to preference. I encourage you to speak with your wallet, but coming in a Nexus thread to rant about SD storage is like showing up to a Prius convention and going off about the virtues of Detroit muscle. You're not going to convince anyone that doesn't already agree.

jadruyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadruyan
mrsbrock wrote:I'm thinking about this for my 9yo for Christmas. He wants an iPod or a Kindle, but this is less expensive. I assume he wants it mainly for minecraft. Any opinions about whether this is the best option?

i own a 16gb, and i love it! easy to use, to handle, i only use it at home so keeping things on the cloud is no problem for me, that's a personal issue though depending on use. I'd say overall a great tablet!

lxl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lxl
wootmeharder wrote:The lack of an SD slot is the very reason I will be buying a samsung tablet. Screw the cloud.

I have Nexus 7 (2012) 8GB, and I don't feel much for lacking SD slot, unless you really store all your mp3 files locally, in which case, you probably want to check out Walmart's Sero 7 Pro, which has 8GB built-in, plus microSD slot, 2 cameras, and miniHDMI port, for $129 (new), it's a little bulky but the processor is the same as Nexus 7 2012. I bought Sero 7 Pro so I can save offline maps on SD card.

louque

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louque
joecooool wrote:Nook only has a dual core processor. The Nexus 7 has a quad core processor.

What does this mean to me in the real world? Is the Nexus 7 going to be noticeably faster?

bluemaple

quality posts: 72 Private Messages bluemaple

Hey Woot - any chance you could add a direct link at the top of each of these comment pages back to the product page?

The first comment page has the direct link but when the comments get flying that convenience disappears quickly for when you want to check the product specs.

pgould98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pgould98
tindios wrote:I have NO idea what you are talking about here. The official EA port played on a Nexus has no mini games and only about 1/2 the content of the IOS version. There are in game Mini games, but the extras are NOT there. Unless there is some special "Kindle version" that doesn't suck?

Yup. I've found that Amazon will frequently have developers create special Kindle editions of popular games. I have PvZ on my regular Android tablet, too, and you're right - it doesn't have the mini-games. It's just the Kindle edition that does. It's Amazon's way of differentiating their products (you get special editions!) and permanently tying you to their service at the same time (Kindle editions only work on Kindles...boo).

gfmack13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gfmack13

Thanks for the advice!

rampo wrote:If it's still under warranty, contact Asus. My 32gb Nexus (bought from Staples for $180 back in July) got hung up on the "booting X" after an update so I contacted Asus & they had me send it to them. It came back a couple weeks later & has been working fine ever since. The Nexus doesn't tick everyone's boxes, but I took it with me on a 3 week trip to Asia & it was my go-to device for ereader, email, videos, Netflix (via VPN),Slingplayer & Skype.

procizion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages procizion

Great device, I have two. My only complaint is that the micro usb for charging is very loose. I purchased them from Staples so not sure if its specific to just devices from there.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bluemaple wrote:Hey Woot - any chance you could add a direct link at the top of each of these comment pages back to the product page?

The first comment page has the direct link but when the comments get flying that convenience disappears quickly for when you want to check the product specs.

Interesting idea. You can easily get back to page 1 and go to the product from there or just hover your mouse over the site name on the navigation bar at the top of the screen. If you click on the PICTURE of the item, it takes you directly to the sale detail page.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bjoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjoot
haywardk wrote:I don't give a CRAP where Google wants me. I want aceess to stuff on or OFF line, all the time.

And they have lost a TON of sales on these for that maybe $4 cost saving.

And an SD slot doesn't just double the capacity it infinitely does if you carry multiple tiny cards.

Without one stuck for ever with what you bought (hopefully the 32 not 16)

The explanation is not quite that simple. external SD cards come in a variety of qualities, and they also consume extra power. And they increase the exposure to the elements, if plugged in from outside. They also complicate teh application configuration, wether content oer apps are to be stored on internal or external storage. If the external SD is slow or failing, many people would complain about the tablet's performance, causing more returns and warranty cases.

So I am sure it is more than just the cloud that is the reason. That said, I also prefer having an external SD, if nothing else, it makes it snappy to copy pictures, movies, pictures etc. When on the road you don't always have a fast broadband available.

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
tindios wrote:
Plants Vs. Zombies 2 - Not even AVAILABLE for Android.

Actually it has been for a while now. I'm running on my Transformer TF300.

souravzzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages souravzzz

I am looking for a 3G-capable tablet in the $100-150 range, any suggestions?

bluemaple

ThunderThighs wrote:Interesting idea. You can easily get back to page 1 and go to the product from there or just hover your mouse over the site name on the navigation bar at the top of the screen. If you click on the PICTURE of the item, it takes you directly to the sale detail page.

Thanks TT, but going back to page 1 first is an extra, unnecessary step, especially when Woot is overloaded - waiting for the extra intermediate page load can be a pain.

'Not sure what you mean about hovering over the navigation path (Woot-->Community-->Re: Google Nexus 7...). The product title words are there, but they are not hyperlinked when reading posts. I see they change to hyperlinked when in the midst of posting a comment. If that non-hyperlink issue were fixed, it would be a great solution.

Finally, if by Picture, you mean the pictures at the bottom of the page, is there always a picture at the bottom for every commentable woot?

If it matters the above non-hyperlinked behavior seems to be there for Firefox v25 as well as iOS and Android 4.2.2 on tablets.

bluemaple

souravzzz wrote:I am looking for a 3G-capable tablet in the $100-150 range, any suggestions?

@souravzzz, good luck, at least without Carrier subsidies.

Sprint has been running a cheap ($49?) deal on a 7 inch Samsung tablet, but you have to sign up for 2 years of data plan.

The other alternative is picking up this Woot and wifi-tethering to a cellular data-connected smartphone or mobile hotspot.

willyone

quality posts: 25 Private Messages willyone
captkickass wrote:I can't find anything with a quad-core processor, that price-wise, comes close to this other than a Hisense refurb for $99 from voldemart.

Could look into the Acer A1-810, $169 new at Amazon. Quad-core processor, graphics processor, dual cameras, SD slot, HDMI, Bluetooth 4, WiFi, GPS. I can have 5 or 6 apps open and 8 tabs going in the browser with no discernable performance hit. Runs android jellybean 4.2.2 and is Google centric. I've read all the posts here and feel lucky to have found the Acer. Without any input from me, other than entering appts. in google calendar,contacts (incl. addresses) in people, etc. I will all of a sudden get a notification from Google notifying me that I have a dr. appt. at 2:00, a 16 min. drive from my home to his office and it's suggesting I leave now because there are some traffic issues on my recommended route. Some may not like google knowing that much about them that google would do that, unsolicited, but I love the help. Then I use my GPS to get me there! Anyway, just mentioning this as a possible option. My tablet has been used 6 hrs. a day for 6 months error free.

bluemaple

willyone wrote:. . . Without any input from me, other than entering appts. in google calendar,contacts (incl. addresses) in people, etc. I will all of a sudden get a notification from Google notifying me that I have a dr. appt. at 2:00, a 16 min. drive from my home to his office and it's suggesting I leave now because there are some traffic issues on my recommended route. Some may not like google knowing that much about them that google would do that, unsolicited, but I love the help. Then I use my GPS to get me there!. . .

@willyone, and next Android will be reminding us when the next bathroom break should be happening based upon the last time we ate, took a break, etc..

While this learning and intelligent technology is pretty cool (and helpful as you note), I wonder whether google users (who may or may not be Android users) with their photo in their profile will like it or other personal info being used in new ways?

Like when you call someone you barely know (from your non-Android phone) who happens to have an Android smartphone and their caller ID shows your google profile pic + other personal info.

Perhaps 15-30 year old people are already conditioned to greatly reduced privacy.

kaufmanat1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaufmanat1
tindios wrote:I still own both and free games up front is not an issue on either system. There are thousands of "free games". However, on many to make them "playable", you need to spend real money on Android and NOT on IOS... Which is a huge issue!

And games "aren't quite the same"??? That's like saying a Ferrari and a Yugo aren't quite the same. Yeah they are both cars, but one is awesome and performs well, the other sucks. You may own both versions, but you obviously don't bother to look at the differences that make the Android version inferior.

And price, sure Android devices are generally cheaper. But I have seen hundreds of times where on IOS the game is Free or $.99 and on Android it's $3.22 or some other crazy price. So yes, you can buy the device cheaper, but then you die of a thousand cuts on apps. Real world example: Life (by EA Games) $4.99 on Android, got if for FREE on IOS!! Sure it was a sale for free, but the Android version rarely goes on sale and when it does it's like $2.99!

Customization?? (I keep hearing that as an excuse.) Please give me one real world example where you having a different launcher or whatever that makes it worth having the Android version of Snoopy Street fair (or any of the other 1000's of games) SUCK compared to the IOS version?

What exactly are you in need of customizing on the Nexus that makes it so much better than the stock Android? (and please don't say Widgets... they just suck and I almost NEVER get to the page I set up with them and then never use them.. ugh!)

Take it easy bro... some people like android, some like ios... I've never had trouble with apps available for android... in fact some of the apps I (emphasis on I) use most are ONLY available for android... not ios, the whole "no third party developers"thing was a big no no for me... but that's just me, most people probably are better suited for using ios, but just realize what's good for you isn't necessarily best for everyone else... Henry Ford said, "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black." - don't be that guy... some people like blue cars, some people like black cars... some people like android, some like ios - to argue android is stupid is in fact very stupid... how's that for irony?

magicjj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magicjj

Seeing this empowered me... Just today I went BACK to the Staples that was sold out of the old Nexus 7s for the deal. They allowed me to order a NEW 32 gig on Staples.com and pay in store with price match guarantee. It will be shipping directly to my door. WOOP!

Good luck to anyone trying at their Staples.

tindios wrote:I was one of those that picked up the BRAND NEW 32GB Nexus that Gamestop had for $99 for

tindios

kaufmanat1 wrote:to argue android is stupid is in fact very stupid... how's that for irony?

Where did I argue that Android was stupid? I said the games were inferior to their IOS versions. And trying to imply that I said anything else is just... well, stupid, and a lie.(And therefore irony doesn't apply)

If you bothered to read my posts you would note I have both IOS and Android devices. So I don't understand your Henry Ford "Don't be that guy". Perhaps you should re-read them as you have apparently missed the point...

tindios

magicjj wrote:Seeing this empowered me... Just today I went BACK to the Staples that was sold out of the old Nexus 7s for the deal. They allowed me to order a NEW 32 gig on Staples.com and pay in store with price match guarantee. It will be shipping directly to my door. WOOP!

Great score... and more proof people are still getting the price match!! If at first you don't succeed, try another store or even another manager. ;-)

bluemaple

@magicjj, nicely done.

I can't think of a time when I had an issue at Staples and they did not make it right. Nobody's perfect, but they blow away the other two national office stores. Not even a close race. OM is out of business but not yet willing to admit it. And OD is a shameful shadow of what they used to be.

magicjj wrote:Seeing this empowered me... Just today I went BACK to the Staples that was sold out of the old Nexus 7s for the deal. They allowed me to order a NEW 32 gig on Staples.com and pay in store with price match guarantee. It will be shipping directly to my door. WOOP!

Good luck to anyone trying at their Staples.

WalterTangoFoxtrot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WalterTangoFoxtrot

So, I get my shiney new tablet and its ----ing busted.

anyone else as lucky as me?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

WalterTangoFoxtrot wrote:So, I get my shiney new tablet and its ----ing busted.

by busted, do you mean cracked in some way or just not coming on. If it's the latter, make sure you charge it for a full 24 hours as batteries are often shipped completely drained.

If that doesn't work, email support@woot.com for assistance.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ShayUnderwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShayUnderwood

Wow, these came with lots of apps/programs that I can't remove.

AtCmdSender, LogTool, Nfc_p2p_Share...etc

Whats up with this?

Also, I'm having the worst time figuring out how to download google play. You would think that would be pre-loaded.

ShayUnderwood

I've tried loads of things, including a factory reboot. No Google play store. Help!

Upon starting the Nexus, I was not required to log in to Google.

No literature was included in the box.

I'm clueless here and have been a long time android user.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 119 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

ShayUnderwood wrote:I've tried loads of things, including a factory reboot. No Google play store. Help!

Upon starting the Nexus, I was not required to log in to Google.

No literature was included in the box.

I'm clueless here and have been a long time android user.

This FAQ may help? I hope!

Otherwise, since you do have a 90 day warranty with Asus, you may try to contact them here. Let us know if you have any issues when speaking to them!

Glowrdr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Glowrdr

Yeah - I ordered 2 for Christmas, and figured I'd be a good little boy and charge them before I wrapped them. One works, one doesn't. Now I have to pay to ship it to Asus for repair. Wish I could just return the darn thing since they probably don't need 2 anyways

ShayUnderwood

agingdragqueen wrote:This FAQ may help? I hope!

Otherwise, since you do have a 90 day warranty with Asus, you may try to contact them here. Let us know if you have any issues when speaking to them!

No dice with Asus. I have to ship the unit back to them. canned vegetables sauce.

dontera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dontera
WalterTangoFoxtrot wrote:So, I get my shiney new tablet and its ----ing busted.

I also received a DOA unit. Not looking forward to dealing with fixing this.

*shakes fist impudently at whomever at the refurb warehouse took the piss and let this one pass through*

Glowrdr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Glowrdr

Just an FYI - after receiving my RMA number from Asus, I decided to open my tablet. I was able to get it fixed, and I bet you guys can too. The back literally just snaps off (use a screwdriver or plastic tool). My battery wasn't plugged in all the way. All better now.