transfigure

quality posts: 3 Private Messages transfigure

I resent the assertion that this Roku is "compatible with virtually any TV." It is compatible with exactly zero analog TVs. This means that it is incompatible with virtually many TVs.

spartikus84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spartikus84

Does the Roku 3's netflix app support profiles?

Also, is there a noticable increase in interface\channel speed from the roku 2 to the roku 3?

wizwor

quality posts: 26 Private Messages wizwor
transfigure wrote:I resent the assertion that this Roku is "compatible with virtually any TV." It is compatible with exactly zero analog TVs. This means that it is incompatible with virtually many TVs.

Resent? Yikes! But you are correct. The Roku 3 and the Roku Stick are the ONLY Rokus without composite out. That means you MUST have hdmi to use these. Worse, you cannot route the analog out audio to a soundbar or aux jack on a HTIB so you can listen to Pandora without running the television.

wizwor

quality posts: 26 Private Messages wizwor
spartikus84 wrote:Does the Roku 3's netflix app support profiles?

Also, is there a noticable increase in interface\channel speed from the roku 2 to the roku 3?

You can scroll up and down the grid faster -- except that loading the ads slows down all Rokus -- but I am not aware of any app that runs faster on a Roku 3.

teeps

quality posts: 2 Private Messages teeps
daemonfly wrote:My Roku 3 has been great, but the main question should be "How good are the Roku Refurbs?" Do they have QC issues? Are they reliable?

For example, in my experience: Samsung refurbs - never again, ugh, 0/3 there.

I have gotten two refurbs to date from Woot with a 50/50 success rate. The first I had to return, and it took 1.5 hours on the phone with someone who understands networking less than I do to go through a list of issues before giving me a return authorization number, which did suck, but I did get the issue resolved and I use both Roku's extensively. We have since dropped our cable provider and supplement with over the air HD for news, and Roku for entertainment. But ultimately, yes, there certainly exists the change that the refurb is problematic, though that can be rectified if so inclined.

rasputinaxp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rasputinaxp

Indeed it does, and fabulously.

chaseg327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaseg327
ginabarrett wrote:I bought this last time it was on. I was so excited. But I cannot get it to connect to our Internet. It gets part way through the connection and then says it can't connect. So it's worthless to me. I have tried restarting our wireless, I can still receive the signal on my laptop and phone. Just not this. Actually, it gets the signal. Just can't log in to use it.

This might sound crazy, but try a different HDMI cable if you have one. I was having the same issue with my Roku 2XS and after a lot of searching, I came across this suggestion. I thought it sounded crazy because in my mind, there was no way the HDMI could be affecting the Wi-Fi. Since I was desperate, I tried another HDMI cable I had laying around and sure enough, it connected to my network right away. No idea why this worked, but it might be worth a shot for you.

teeps

SpacemanSpif wrote:I'm on a Roku XD as well. I'm hoping a newer unit will load apps faster, and have a better Hulu app (current one is slow and unresponsive at times).

I own an XD and Roku 2. Speaking from my personal experience, the difference is simply huge, and the end user will most certainly appreciate the increase in the speed. The post-XD models have additional features as well (apps, search, more dynamic backgrounds, ect.) but the speed has been the largest benefit I have appreciated between XD and Roku2. I think I'll pick up one of these Roku and go ahead and retire the XD - even if performance is only similar to the Roku 2, it is worth it to me.

luvduchovny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luvduchovny
wizwor wrote:Probably because it's not true.

VideoBuzz
See Question 6

No, it's true. YouTube is a channel you can put on Roku3 (I don't know about the other versions of Roku). I installed it in January you have to plug in a code on the web to get it activated but it works. Heck last night for grins while looking at YouTube on my phone, I tapped the Chromecast button at the top of the YouTube screen and it offered to play the video on my Roku. So I did... Sweet!

In fact,... link:

Channel link.

I'm too lazy for signatures... oh, okay not completely lazy.

Bealz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bealz

Every "refurb" I've ever bought was ragged around the edges in some form or other.

A new product that would last for 6 years lasts for 2 when refurbed.
Longevity is a definite issue with refurbs.

teeps

sirpas wrote:Usually I would take Woot's sarcasm pretty well, but the "Time Warning" text actually got my attention. This isn't the first time I've heard about media corps. wanting to control streaming media. How real is this issue? I have an Apple TV and have enjoyed it plenty (along with DirecTV). Would like to dump satellite all together. Thoughts?

Excellent note here, and thanks for pointing it out (I skipped the read). Currently, I have changed my preset DNS to use an alternate to my ISP (Comcast) default DNS. Go to openDNS and you should find the closest DNS entries to your current location, and I believe directions on how to implement this in your router. Since doing so, Comcast isn't able to throttle my Netflix as harshly as before. Again, ultimately this may not be a good solution in the future, but perhaps one more workaround for when the end is near?

I have noticed that I get zero throttling when using a VPN connection since my packets are encrypted to the ISP, so I suppose I'll need to look into setting up a machine to route my connection to the Roku, keeping all packets encrypted to the service provider. If the roku had a VPN option built into it, that would be a great solution for those who have a VPN option to connect to... Wonder if that would be done in a SW update?

TL:DR - Change DNS settings in your router for now (openDSN). In the future, consider leveraging a VPN if possible.

reid3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reid3000

im about to buy 2 of these but im hearing a lot of concern about the remotes not successfully pairing with the refurbished units. if i have a defect, who do i contact about is? woot or roku? the 90 day warranty says its with roku.

thanks for the help yall.

spummerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spummerr

No need for language like that.

Tufflaw wrote:Goddamnit and I just bought that stupid Angry Birds Roku, wish I'd waited.

teeps

reid3000 wrote:im about to buy 2 of these but im hearing a lot of concern about the remotes not successfully pairing with the refurbished units. if i have a defect, who do i contact about is? woot or roku? the 90 day warranty says its with roku.

thanks for the help yall.

Roku is who you would contact, speaking from an experience I had I suppose about 18 months ago. It took me some time on the phone before they caved, but ultimately got me a working product in the end.

teeps

teeps wrote:Excellent note here, and thanks for pointing it out (I skipped the read). Currently, I have changed my preset DNS to use an alternate to my ISP (Comcast) default DNS. Go to openDNS and you should find the closest DNS entries to your current location, and I believe directions on how to implement this in your router. Since doing so, Comcast isn't able to throttle my Netflix as harshly as before. Again, ultimately this may not be a good solution in the future, but perhaps one more workaround for when the end is near?

I have noticed that I get zero throttling when using a VPN connection since my packets are encrypted to the ISP, so I suppose I'll need to look into setting up a machine to route my connection to the Roku, keeping all packets encrypted to the service provider. If the roku had a VPN option built into it, that would be a great solution for those who have a VPN option to connect to... Wonder if that would be done in a SW update?

TL:DR - Change DNS settings in your router for now (openDSN). In the future, consider leveraging a VPN if possible.

One final thought: I save as much as this unit costs EACH MONTH that I use it in lieu of paying for the most modest cable package available to me. Considering that, I'm in for one, even if the device is rendered less functional at some future date (as long as it's not next month).

AVspec

quality posts: 6 Private Messages AVspec

Thank god it sold out... I was so close to buying one to upgrade my XD model. Need to save money for early retirement! ;-)

usindimar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages usindimar

Thats because this is not the Woot you fell in love with. Now its Amazon.coms bastard child where they offload stuff they couldn't even sell on amazon.

inirons wrote:I agree whole heartily with this post, bought Roku off woot back in December and it simply would not pair.

Took 2 weeks for them to respond and every email to their support checking the status of request for RMA resulted in another trouble ticket. I finally got RMA.

So you roll the dice and takes your chances... if you get a Roku that has actually been QC'd you will be happy, otherwise you are on your own.

An overall observation of woot... absolutely TERRIBLE customer service now, to me this company has lost its way, so Caveat Emptor

ch333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ch333

What happened to this deal?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ch333 wrote:What happened to this deal?

Wooters done bought 'em all up. They're gone.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

quitlan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quitlan
murphdogrrr wrote:HOW MUCH ARE THE MONTHLY SERVICES?

Many channels are avail at no extra charge. A huge number of channels are available. Most will tell you before you add to your list of channels what the cost would be and you'll have to agree to pay before you add, and some tell you before hand there is a free trial. If interesting I'd suggest you stagger adding these. Costs I've seen range 99 cents a month for exercise and language learning channels, to 8 for netflix. YouTube, with documentaries, full movies and mini series, exercise--pretty much everything--is way enough for me. Others like Crackle are free but you'll have to endure commercials.

Hope that helps. There is NO additional cost you NEED to consent to to use this. The 3 has ONLY HDMI connection and wired or wireless net connect. The 2 has ONLY wireless net connect.

As for Woot. Well, sold out so who cares about them? : >

SamChamFat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SamChamFat
usindimar wrote:Thats because this is not the Woot you fell in love with. Now its Amazon.coms bastard child where they offload stuff they couldn't even sell on amazon.

I feel the same way. I've been visiting and shopping with Woot for years and it seems to have changed for the worst since the Amazon acquisition. I recently had my first customer service experience with Woot and it was rotten. I ordered a large pack of batteries that was damaged during shipping. I did all of the detective work in order to find out why my package hadn't been delivered and once I contacted Woot about it and I simply got a "Oh hey it was damaged and returned, so since we're out of stock we'll just return the money." I'm glad the money was returned but I was a bit shocked at the lack of "lets make this situation up to you". I didn't expect them to pay for my order or anything, but ya know, free shipping on my next order would've been a nice gesture. Whatever. Time has moved on and i've found better deals on batteries. But since that I've kinda lost faith in ordering through Woot.

quitlan

usindimar wrote:Thats because this is not the Woot you fell in love with. Now its Amazon.coms bastard child where they offload stuff they couldn't even sell on amazon.

Thanks for insights. I have a recon from USA. I'd rather pay 30 more for new as I think not uncomplicated devices and not working is useless. I was very lucky--I think. Getting a new one so will compare to see if ours is really good as ought to be.

As for woot. Well, I just signed on to comment on their logbook writeups. Who in hell thinks up this crud and what side are they on?

quitlan

transfigure wrote:I resent the assertion that this Roku is "compatible with virtually any TV." It is compatible with exactly zero analog TVs. This means that it is incompatible with virtually many TVs.

MIssed that comment. It is NOT compatable with a tv that hasn't got HDMI and then, well, you have to try to know or find a list somewhere. And Roku 2, another limitation. ONLY wireLESS! Found out last night when I got one. GRRR.

quitlan

Interesting oomment and likely goes a long way to telling why their remarks are so loathesome. PROPAGANDA. Roku one isn't just a sales pitch on Roku. It's a harbinger of things to come that we are supposed to 'just accept.' WILL be limited on streaming. If we hear that often enough we are meant to believe it WILL HAPPEN and we HAVE NO CHOICE. NOT just accepting is a start. We all need to be far more aware and realize WE are powerful and outnumber the corporate bastards. And NO, I am NOT going to let those jerkfaces, 'just get away with saying that!'

We don't have to fight them, and we DO NOT have to buy from them either.

Thanks for heads up on Woot. YUCK! Best avoided. "Deals" my butt. Consider the seller.

quitlan

The roku site claims the 3 is 5x faster than the others. I only have a roku 3 now and it's FAST. I only use for channels, not games. It's is so much faster than my Bravia, and entering search terms MUCH better unless using a keyboard with my Bravia (DVD player with..) which is not a roku option I think.

I also think worth 30 bucks more for NEW. But I have it and hate hassles.

doey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doey
SamChamFat wrote:I feel the same way. I've been visiting and shopping with Woot for years and it seems to have changed for the worst since the Amazon acquisition. I recently had my first customer service experience with Woot and it was rotten. I ordered a large pack of batteries that was damaged during shipping. I did all of the detective work in order to find out why my package hadn't been delivered and once I contacted Woot about it and I simply got a "Oh hey it was damaged and returned, so since we're out of stock we'll just return the money." I'm glad the money was returned but I was a bit shocked at the lack of "lets make this situation up to you". I didn't expect them to pay for my order or anything, but ya know, free shipping on my next order would've been a nice gesture. Whatever. Time has moved on and i've found better deals on batteries. But since that I've kinda lost faith in ordering through Woot.

I had a similar issue with a charging bag. Ordered it, never arrived. Contacted CS was told it was a second package on its way. Few days after the first, contacted again. Said they were out of stock and issueing a refund.

Funny thing is, the exact same bag was on sale for the sport.woot site. So they were not out of them.
I was having second thoughts anyways, so was happy with the refund.

- Doey

mysterytrout

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mysterytrout

In for one (before they sold out). I bought my first Roku HD 4 years ago and absolutely love it.

I'm hoping Thunderthighs words are true and that the few problem boxes were the exception rather than the rule. woot! don't fail me now.

So far I've had great luck with all my woot! and woot! refurbs - a dozen purchases to date.

Of course the first time they scr3w me vengeance shall be mine!

Kravvitz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kravvitz
bolligra wrote:Will I be able to get 5.1 surround audio with this Roku? Will I need to connect to my AV receiver?

Yes, it might default to stereo, but there's an option to use surround sound.

Yes, you would need to use your AVR. Is there another way to connect a device with only an HDMI output to a surround sound system?

rampo wrote:The caveat is that you need an iPhone or Android phone with the $14.99 Slingplayer app for those phones and use that to "sling" the signal to the Roku, similar to the way the Chromecast works.

$15? Wow. That seems quite high. I'm thinking about getting the new SiliconDust HDHomeRun PLUS HDTC-2US which has a built-in H.264 transcoder. It has a "private" Roku channel that's free.

In what context did you see that? Are you sure that was referring to the Roku 3 and not just the other models?

The compare page clearly says that the Roku 3 is only compatible with HDTVs.

rasputinaxp wrote:Indeed it does, and fabulously.

Thanks. I guess that means they won't update the Netflix channel for the older models to include that then. Anyone have an idea what the hold-up is on having a Youtube channel directly for Roku? For now at least one can use Plex, PlayOn, or Twonky. Has andbody tried using the "PlayTo TV" Android app?

quitlan wrote:It is NOT compatable with a tv that hasn't got HDMI and then, well, you have to try to know or find a list somewhere.

A list of all TV models made in the last 15+ years? Wouldn't it just be easier to look at the back and sides of the TV to see what the available ports look like? This may be an oversimplification but analog ports are usually round while digital are more angular.

quitlan wrote:And Roku 2, another limitation. ONLY wireLESS! Found out last night when I got one. GRRR.

If you want composite video and wired ethernet, while also having HDMI, then you can get a Roku 2 XS from NewEgg, eBay, or Amazon. Or, if you wanted the speed and newer/updated channels of the Roku 3 and were will to spend more, you could get an audio/video receiver (AVR). It seems the product designers decided more people would want a headphone jack in the remote than composite audio from the box.

Also the remote for the Roku 2 XS uses Bluetooth instead of wifi or infrared.

Anybody heard of anyone installing so many apps/channels that they actually needed the SD card?

dagta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dagta
shadow7118 wrote:The Roku I got from WOOT back in January powers up, but the remote won't 'Pair' with the unit rendering it useless. I contacted WOOT asking for a replacement or refund, but they said this is a known issue w/Roku and they deferred me to Roku for support.

per the manual, I've already spent an hour trying to Pair the remote, which I already told them didn't work. Yes WOOT, I can read a Manual!

I'll try Roku, but I don't have time to have non-working junk delivered to my doorstep.

I've bought a LOT of stuff from WOOT in the past, but their customer service has been pretty worthless IMO & it will be the last refurb I purchase from them.

Very disappointed WOOT..
My advise, just get a NEW one at Costco for a couple $$ more.. at least if you have a problem, they'll allow you to return or exchange it for a working product.

I had the same problem and I just spoke with Roku. After trouble-shooting it turned out that I have the wrong remote for the Roku 3. They are sending the correct remote to me.

Does your remote have a black button on the back (possibly under the battery cover), a single light in front, a headphone jack and volume controls? If not, you have the wrong remote.

shortman

quality posts: 73 Private Messages shortman

My refurb had remote pairing issues, but they vanished after I changed the batteries. It turned out that the batteries provided were crap.

aosier

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aosier
wizwor wrote:Resent? Yikes! But you are correct. The Roku 3 and the Roku Stick are the ONLY Rokus without composite out. That means you MUST have hdmi to use these. Worse, you cannot route the analog out audio to a soundbar or aux jack on a HTIB so you can listen to Pandora without running the television.

My AV receiver has HDMI in, which is how I'll be hooking up the Roku 3 when it arrives. If I start up Pandora and then turn off my HDTV, will the audio continue to play?

techiegirl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages techiegirl
shortman wrote:My refurb had remote pairing issues, but they vanished after I changed the batteries. It turned out that the batteries provided were crap.

I bought 2 Roku 3s and the one remote came with batteries that died shortly after setup. I put new batteries in and got about 6 hours streaming out of the batteries in the remote using the headphones. Do you know if this is normal.

I have two of the original Rokus from Woot and they are still going strong on old TVs.

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

techiegirl wrote:I bought 2 Roku 3s and the one remote came with batteries that died shortly after setup. I put new batteries in and got about 6 hours streaming out of the batteries in the remote using the headphones. Do you know if this is normal.

I have two of the original Rokus from Woot and they are still going strong on old TVs.

Have you contacted Roku yet? They may have some troubleshooting tips for the battery drain you're experiencing. Keep us updated!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

Kmudrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kmudrick

Total disappointment - my refurbed roku 3 arrived on Saturday & my unit turns out to be garbage.

I can get through the activation & initial system update process - then the system locks up & nothing works. Not a pairing issue. Factory Reset, then activate & system update again... followed by the same freezing again. Can't use it at all.

Called Roku but they just said to work with woot. I've yet to get a real response from woot.

I still have the original roku, which still works, but this one seems to be a hunk of junk.

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Kmudrick wrote:Total disappointment - my refurbed roku 3 arrived on Saturday & my unit turns out to be garbage.

I can get through the activation & initial system update process - then the system locks up & nothing works. Not a pairing issue. Factory Reset, then activate & system update again... followed by the same freezing again. Can't use it at all.

Called Roku but they just said to work with woot. I've yet to get a real response from woot.

I still have the original roku, which still works, but this one seems to be a hunk of junk.

Sorry to hear that. You should hear back from CS in 24-48hrs. Let us know how things go.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

reclusive

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reclusive

I brought one and it arrived DoA. I'm already in contact with Roku to help me with a RMA and replacement for the device.

Woot's customer service has been complete waste of time.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

reclusive wrote:I brought one and it arrived DoA. I'm already in contact with Roku to help me with a RMA and replacement for the device.

Woot's customer service has been complete waste of time.

Sorry for the problems. Per our FAQ, we do ask that you try the manufacturer first when they hold the warranty.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

rvan220

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvan220

Has anyone else received basic plastic earphones instead of the in-ear headphones that were listed in the description of the product?

ritsemas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ritsemas

Just received my Roku 3 today from last week's sale. It is missing the ear buds. Anyone else experience this? Product description says that they are included.

ritsemas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ritsemas
rvan220 wrote:Has anyone else received basic plastic earphones instead of the in-ear headphones that were listed in the description of the product?

Mine had no earbuds. did you purchase from last week's sold out listing?