twedsworth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twedsworth

I subscribe to our local cable conglomerate (TWC/Comcast) for home phone primarily for the link to our home security system (ADT). I know that MagicJack is not an acceptable system to interface with the ADT system, so I called ADT to see if Ooma would be. They said that they had never heard of Ooma. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

dgreene0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgreene0

For home phone I replaced our ATT landline with the Ooma purchased a couple of years ago for $140 at Costco. It works great, but what I don't like is the $10/month they expect you to pay for extra features like call blocking, GV integration, etc...

I also have an Obi100 device which up until recently was integrated with Google Voice for my home office line. I recently ported my GV number to VoIP.ms and reconfigured the OBi100. No monthly fee, $0.01/min to USA and $0.005 Canada, which with my low call load is like $2/month. Plus all of the fancy features are included. For example I can block calls, and also have it set up to ring my cordless and cell phone during business hours, and only ring my cell phone after hours. It emails voicemail as WAV files. Call quality on the Obi100 has improved since porting from GV to VoIP.ms, with noticeably less latency/delay. Highly recommended.

Now I want to sell my Ooma and replace it with another Obi100 ($30) on VoIP.ms.

paradise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paradise
cengland0 wrote:To be clear, you can always use your google voice account to make a call without using their website to initiate the call.

Cool! I doubt I will do this but it's good to know there is an option.

drthomasho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drthomasho

I asked Brighthouse how much I would save if I DIScontinued voice service and it was only $10/month! I currently have a bundled price for voice, video, and Internet.

Tufflaw wrote:I love my Ooma, bought it here on Woot a few years ago for $149 I think, worth every penny. I pay about $3/month in taxes and that's it. When I moved recently I just plugged in the Ooma in my new house and bam my phone worked with my old number.

Answers in advance to a few questions everyone always seems to have - yes you can port your old number, it takes a few days but it works. Yes the sound quality is the same as whatever you're using now (at least it was for me). Yes if you lose internet connection you lose phone service. Also you can check your voicemail on the Ooma itself, via your phone, on on their website. You can NOT listen to the message as it's being left unless you pay for premier service which I think it $10/month. I had it for a month or two as a free trial and it was fine but I could live without the extra features so I didn't sign up for it when it was done.

I was paying $35/month with my cable company, and assuming they haven't raised the prices since I cancelled, I've saved about $400/year.

jcwd01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcwd01
Tufflaw wrote:I love my Ooma, bought it here on Woot a few years ago for $149 I think, worth every penny. I pay about $3/month in taxes and that's it. When I moved recently I just plugged in the Ooma in my new house and bam my phone worked with my old number.

Answers in advance to a few questions everyone always seems to have - yes you can port your old number, it takes a few days but it works. Yes the sound quality is the same as whatever you're using now (at least it was for me). Yes if you lose internet connection you lose phone service. Also you can check your voicemail on the Ooma itself, via your phone, on on their website. You can NOT listen to the message as it's being left unless you pay for premier service which I think it $10/month. I had it for a month or two as a free trial and it was fine but I could live without the extra features so I didn't sign up for it when it was done.

I was paying $35/month with my cable company, and assuming they haven't raised the prices since I cancelled, I've saved about $400/year.

Ditto... I've had Ooma for couple years now.. $4 a month incl tax for landline phone rocks. Porting the # took a while but worth it to me...I don't subscribe to the Premier stuffies. Flushed Vonage as their fees crept up & up.

napes22

quality posts: 1 Private Messages napes22
jcwd01 wrote:Ditto... I've had Ooma for couple years now.. $4 a month incl tax for landline phone rocks. Porting the # took a while but worth it to me...I don't subscribe to the Premier stuffies. Flushed Vonage as their fees crept up & up.

Just grabbed one. I've read through the forums now and haven't seen an answer to this. Since the hand set is sold out, can someone link me to a good handset to pair with the device?

EDIT: I only need one handset since I have a small apartment.

mamballama

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mamballama
Tufflaw wrote:You can NOT listen to the message as it's being left unless you pay for premier service which I think it $10/month. I had it for a month or two as a free trial and it was fine but I could live without the extra features so I didn't sign up for it when it was done.

If I have a wireless phone setup, with 3 Uniden handsets and an answering machine built in to the charging hub, that ought to solve the problem without having to subscribe to the Premium service.

bltkmt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bltkmt
mamballama wrote:If I have a wireless phone setup, with 3 Uniden handsets and an answering machine built in to the charging hub, that ought to solve the problem without having to subscribe to the Premium service.

I am curious if that is true?

beischel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beischel
creiss74 wrote:Anyone using this with the wifi adapter? I may get this for my mother who misses having a home phone but she would need this device to connect to a wifi network.

Quality drop noticeable?

Yes, I have two Ooma - one using the Ooma wireless adapter, the other with a CAT5 connection. The wireless adapter works perfect and I swear it even seems to work better than the other Ooma device that I have connected with a cable.

eds65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eds65

Have used Ooma for about a year, and it is great. Some of the desirable features, like caller blocking, require an additional sub to Premiere. If you call them, you can get premiere for $99 a year. It's worth it. You can also extend the warranty. It gives you free number porting, and also a second line. The second line requires an additional device to access it, which costs $40.

WaltAmante

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WaltAmante

From Ooma's forums...

If you have an Ooma core (Ooma hub + scout) - then based on the terms of service that is designed for that box, caller-id WITH NAME is included in the base service. Ooma is very careful to honor the terms of service advertised//included in the box of the unit you purchased.

If however you have an Ooma TELO (the newer unit and the one being sold here at Woot), then no, called-id WITH NAME is not included in the base service. Regular caller-id is included, but you need to subscribe to the Premiere service to get caller-id with NAME.

wizeguy6

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wizeguy6
bltkmt wrote:I am curious if that is true?

Sure it is, it's just a matter of having your phone's answering system set to answer in fewer rings than your Ooma voice mail. Of course, that means you'd be negating any advantage of Ooma's voice mail, you'd have to decide the tradeoff.

But back to the point, if your phone system's voice mail is set to be the preferred by answering sooner, you can then "screen" as normal.

Make sense?

I used my Panasonic system in this same manner, until I subscribed to Ooma Premier. I like getting emails on my smartphone when I have a new message on my home phone, with the voicemail attached as a WAV file. That's the best Premier feature, for me at least!

middiepnb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages middiepnb

I have had an OOMA for several years.

The Telo unit featured hear stopped working after hurricane Sandy following a 4 day power outage. The $200 unit was replaced after sending the not working one back for $100.

The explanation about a power surge damaging the device plugged into my UPS and network where nothing else was damaged struck me as thin.

The reason I value the OOMA and decided to replace it with another OOMA after Sandy is phone calls can ring both the OOMA and a cell phone at the same time.

Being able to ring both the OOMA and cell phone works in conjunction with being able to block unwanted phone numbers. If there is a phone number you want to block you log into your account on the OOMA website. I believe I also checked the box where I wanted to have OOMA's black list just block phone calls.

The phone almost never rings with political adds (allowed legally even if you are on a nationally sponsored no call list.) Nor does my phone rarely ring for someone trying to sell me something.

Most people get my OOMA number. I'll note that you need their monthly upper level of service for the forwarding features to be active.

Worth it for me. I leaned toward... not picking up another OOMA today. Hopefully that my first or two OOMA Telos died was just a fluke.

Haven't looked recently for how much OOMA Telos cost. But if they are still $200, today's deal for aprox. $80.00 appears very good.

Middieman

awsam007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awsam007

I'm confused abt the questions abt porting the GV number. Why would you have to port it? One of the points of GV is that it's a number that can be used to route to ring other phones, right? So why cant you just keep your GV the way it is and have it ring this new phone just like it already rings your other current phones? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Winnereb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Winnereb

I had the Ooma Telo a couple of years ago, and it worked great... For 6 months. Then it died. I switched to the OBI-100 through Google Voice. It's been OK, but lately the call quality has been terrible. I loved the quality of calls on my Telo, but was gunshy after the first one died. I hate that I'm going to have to pay $40.00 to port my GV phone number - but the headaches of having to change it in all my databases and accounts is probably worth the $40.00. This is a DEAL at $80.00 so I'll give it a shot.

awsam007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awsam007
Winnereb wrote:I hate that I'm going to have to pay $40.00 to port my GV phone number - but the headaches of having to change it in all my databases and accounts is probably worth the $40.00.

See my prev post above. Why would you have to port anything? Doesn't Ooma give you a new number? You could just have your GV number set to ring the Ooma and any other phone you wish, right?

bdutton

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bdutton
twedsworth wrote:I subscribe to our local cable conglomerate (TWC/Comcast) for home phone primarily for the link to our home security system (ADT). I know that MagicJack is not an acceptable system to interface with the ADT system, so I called ADT to see if Ooma would be. They said that they had never heard of Ooma. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7295#p56057

I had to change 3 settings in my ADT GE Concord 4 alarm to have to dial out successfully to the ADT monitoring center. All the setting are under programming and you will need to have the installer code to make the changes. In addition you have to have the alarm wired correctly to have line interrupt to work.
1. Changed setting in the alarm from (wait for dial tone) to (dial out after waiting a few seconds)
2. Changed the setting in the alarm under (disable call waiting) to use the fax prefix of *99. So basically you have to call OOMA to have them disable call waiting, you can’t just enter a disable code like Ma Bell. So this setting is useless to me except that it allows me to enter the *99. Originally added a pause and *99 at the beginning of the caller center number but that only worked 50 % of the time.
3. Changed the SIA/CID reporting from CID to SIA- I think that this is was really the fixed it but I haven’t tried it with only this setting.
Of Note: Most alarm systems have a built-in line voltage meter on the phone line. This is why you will receive a message on the alarm when you alarm is disconnected from a phone line. However, the absence of this message DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ALARM CAN CALL HOME, only that the alarm is detecting voltage on the phone line.

To truly test that you alarm can call home you either need to do a phone test from the console or call the alarm company and have them put your alarm in test mode and then set off the alarm. Also you need to do a line interrupt test to make sure it can still dial out after the burglar takes the phone off the hook. Easy enough call the alarm company from your ooma phone and then when the alarm dials out it will have to disconnect you first. Many of the people I have spoken to on this forum who claim to have ADT working were sadly disappointed when then did a phone home test to the central monitoring office. They incorrectly thought that if the alarm is not complaining about not having a phone line then the alarm is working. Good luck and I hope that this helps. It certainly took me long enough to figure it out.

hushpuppy20

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hushpuppy20

I've had the same phone number since I moved out of my parents house in 1999 and I'm willing to pay for the transfer but how does that work? My current number is through my local cable company. Will there be a week or two where I lose phone service while my phone company and Oooma do paperwork over the number? Just curious. Sorry if this has already been covered!

jh0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jh0
cncguy2000 wrote:how does this compare to Skype?

I can't speak for Ooma but I did buy the connect.me home adapter for skype for $40, it works great! No monthly fees for outgoing calls. Just a low per call rate which when making calls (local mobile phone calls have been free if you have a skype balance). I did however buy a local skype number for incoming calls and that costs $60 per year.

avashist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avashist

Why is woot so boring now

prabhagopinath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prabhagopinath

I have two land line numbers in my home now. The single cable from the phone company comes into a distriution box from where I patch panel it to various wall jacks throughout the house.

I have a Panasonic cordless system with base + 3 handsets for the house all of which sit on Line1. Line 2 goes to another Panasonic cordless system that is in my basement home office and has an extra handset in the kitchen. Do I need to get two Teleo units to support this setup? Can the Tel out jack on Teleo be fed to my patch panel and basically replicate my current distribution scheme?

Chris10162

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Chris10162

Is this the latest version for home use?

zybathegeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zybathegeek

Had Ooma for nearly 5 years, changed over to the Telo two years ago.
The call block feature in the Premium service worth the monthly cost alone. It works well.
Good service, cheaper and better than the Vonage service I had for years previous to Ooma.

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow
prabhagopinath wrote:I have two land line numbers in my home now. The single cable from the phone company comes into a distriution box from where I patch panel it to various wall jacks throughout the house.

I have a Panasonic cordless system with base + 3 handsets for the house all of which sit on Line1. Line 2 goes to another Panasonic cordless system that is in my basement home office and has an extra handset in the kitchen. Do I need to get two Teleo units to support this setup? Can the Tel out jack on Teleo be fed to my patch panel and basically replicate my current distribution scheme?

I think it might work to an extent if you went with the Premier service. You'd have 2 lines coming into one unit, and you could set up a distinctive ring for the "Office" phone #

This is a good tip for all. On the Ooma website, they have a forum you can browse without registering, to see if your questions have already been asked/answered. They also have a live rep service you can pose those questions to.

davidetodd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidetodd

We have one at work for line 4. Switched from a packet8 VOIP to Ooma.

It works fine for phone calls, but as soon as it has to do any routing functions, it crashes. You can't disable the DHCP server on it either, so you can't use another router, as it keeps fighting to hand out IP addresses. Every time it serves out a new IP address it drops it's connection completely and you have to power cycle it to get it to recover.

Ooma RMAed it twice. No help. Eventually we moved it onto it's own port and IP from our ISP.

As a phone, it's great. But it needs to be segmented from the rest of your network or it just causes problems.

timothy2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timothy2001
jlagraff wrote:I've used my 14 year old brother fax machines several times, no problem. I do have a good connection, I suppose low bandwidth could be a problem. My router is set to give Ooma priority over other network devices. I pay for the premium service solely for the blacklist feature. I use the community blacklist as well as adding my own numbers. Telemarketers get a (Number Disconnected) message.

You're way too kind to telemarketers. Anyone I blacklist hears eternal ringing and we are blissfully unaware they ever call again.

Huge satisfaction in that.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

If I take my router and Ooma with me on vacation in Europe, will it work if I can get an ethernet connection? I also have an ethernet bridge to take along to use wireless signals.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

rem9550

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rem9550
krusty3401 wrote:This may be a dumb question, but what is your telephone number?

You can port your existing landline number to Ooma for a $39 charge (one time only). Otherwise, you can choose an area code and Ooma will show you the numbers available.

sniffersrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniffersrow
Ringo4422 wrote:If I take my router and Ooma with me on vacation in Europe, will it work if I can get an ethernet connection? I also have an ethernet bridge to take along to use wireless signals.

Why yes you can! But in East Germany, they use 220 volt, so we don't want you to be found in your hotel room impaled on a large electrical device.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
sniffersrow wrote:Why yes you can! But in East Germany, they use 220 volt, so we don't want you to be found in your hotel room impaled on a large electrical device.

I pretty much figured it would work. I read some gibberish about the WiFi there was somewhat different in Europe. I can't imagine how that could be possible. As far as the 220v, all of Europe is 220 50hz. 98% of all wall wart power supplies work from 100-260v, 50-60hz so that in itself wouldn't ever be a problem.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

honestmonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages honestmonkey

A little late, but a note about the ethernet ports. I've had this a few days. The one I have can pass the internet thru, thus giving calls a little better quality, apparently. I have a modem and router that both handle 10/100/1000 or gigabit ethernet. However, the Ooma does NOT pass thru at 1000, so it could affect your speeds. I just have my Ooma hanging off the router and it seems fine, but a note of caution is in order.

thelastredeemer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thelastredeemer

Hey, all. It's gone now but after hearing this, I just want to know this: can I use it to connect to the fax machine to be able to send and receive?

mikedavis916

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikedavis916

Are these the latest models/versions? How can you tell, is there a model number? Thanks

viet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viet
mikedavis916 wrote:Are these the latest models/versions? How can you tell, is there a model number? Thanks

Doubt it. The latest Ooma device was just released on their website. It has a slightly different looking face.

miikl1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages miikl1

Just got in the mail today. Ordered the phone and handset.

Set myself up on the website, plugged the Ooma into my router, charged the handset.... was up and running in 20 minutes.

Sound clarity is AWESOME on my network. Only complaint is that you can't adjust the volume on the handset during a call.

I use this for work-- can't be beat for $4/month.