gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
kahuna75 wrote:I have FIOS and there is no way I would run this in my house with a wife and two kids...FIOS is $5 a month for the card which to me makes the saving not worth it for the hassle..I can not even imagine the phone calls I would get from home while trying to work due to something not working right.

If I had a dedicated TV to myself or lived alone then I would be in on this in a second...

FIOS is brutal with the card rental prices but overall I just keep reducing services every time they raise prices and usually they will negotiate.

If you have a good stable network this thing works pretty well. But I know what you mean as far as being away and the TV not working. Fortunately my 8 year old son can troubleshoot better than my wife who is really quite intelligent. I'm convinced there is a gene on the Y chromosome that is necessary to troubleshoot wifi.

I am right with you regarding Verizon, Comcast and all the rest of the cable/fios companies that charge exorbitant fees for nothing. It's ridiculous that you even have to keep negotiating- they offer no advantage to being a long term customer, in fact, you get penalized for it. The long term customers get hit with all the price hikes, while the new customers get all the great deals. Whose brilliant idea was this model? Netflix for $8/month is an example fairly priced streaming content- if they could add live streaming, I'd pay 10X that and still be way ahead.

deejayoh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deejayoh
joelsisk wrote:I've seen this listed as a benefit a couple times now. I can do this on my Comcast cable box, so this isn't much of a selling point.

I think this depends on where you live. Standard Moto box here does not allow you to customize the guide - so while you might not see it as a selling point, your experience is far from universal.

rjk185

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjk185

So, this box replaces the cable box or the DVR??? What about premium channels like HBO?

eddykim3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddykim3
rjk185 wrote:So, this box replaces the cable box or the DVR??? What about premium channels like HBO?

You can view premium channels like HBO on Windows Media Center or on HDHomeRun VIEW Android app.

bnetty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bnetty
steveb944 wrote:Cable only, no satellite per above posted link.

EDIT: Personal note

I'll be contacting Comcast to find out how much they'll charge me to 'rent' the cable card. I REALLY hope it's not more than the box I'm already paying for.

I did this back when I had cable. If memory serves, it was only a few bucks. Way cheaper than renting a box.

moonie66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moonie66

Simple questions:
I have
Verizon Fios - great wifi
4 TVs - each with set top box now
1 router
1 pc
1 kindle
2 smart phones
1 desk top computer
1 xbox:
DO I HAVE EVERYTHING I NEED to install this - but the smartcard?
Can I get rid of all four set-top boxes, still record shows?
If you answer me in time I may still have time to order one of these!.
Thanks for quick CLEAR response

KenHAVSHDTV

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KenHAVSHDTV

Regarding Comcast and CableCard: Each Comcast area can have different fees for using a CableCard, which is why there are so many different reports. In my area the first one is free, but in other areas there is a charge, usually less than $3.00 per month.

Regarding Switched Digital Video (SDV): Some cable companies, like Time Warner Cable and Brighthouse, use SDV to get more channels on their systems, and if yours is one you'll need an adapter from your cableco. The SDV adapter is usually provided at no charge and connects to the HDHomeRun Prime USB port. Without it, you will not get all the channels your cableco carries. To my knowledge Comcast does not use SDV on any of their systems.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

KenHAVSHDTV

joelsisk wrote:I've seen this listed as a benefit a couple times now. I can do this on my Comcast cable box, so this isn't much of a selling point.

No, you can not customize a channel guide on a Comcast cable box. You can set up a 'Favorites' list, but it only has a maximum of 10 channels and it does not let you channel surf up and down without seeing all the channels.

When using a HDHomeRun Prime with Windows Media Center, you can set up your guide to include or exclude as many channels as you want and cycle thru them in the guide or surf without seeing the channels you delete.

Tegeril

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Tegeril
bryaninphx wrote:Just Google "comcast cablecard fees", and see all the different fees people are paying in different markets, and many are paying an A/O fee of $8.50/Card
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=comcast+cablecard+fees

Comcast's own FAQ seems to support your answer, but the reality is very different.
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/purchasing-a-cablecard/

I was also being charged $1.50/mo for a cablecard, but when I contacted them, they confirmed as it is the only device and only card I have that I should not have been charged. I was retroactively credited and the charge was removed going forward.

If you have other devices, one of *those* may be the "free" one Comcast provides and you pay for the cablecard.

mickloud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mickloud

I have this thing... it's awesome.

I returned all my Verizon cable boxes and run this with one $5/month cable card and an i5/16gb PC running Windows 7 Ultimate with Media Center (Also running Plex and XBMC). This machine powers all my TV watching and even acts as a DVR.

If you're looking to strike a compromise between cutting your cable costs and cutting the cord altogether, this is what you're looking for.

One thing I'll point out:

The 'official' HDHomeRun app sucks. You cannot watch HD -- only SD is watchable. (This is on a 5ghz network too).

However, a compatible app -- InstaTV Pro -- does work and will provide a beautiful HD stream. They will require you to make an additional purchase in order to stream live TV -- something about codecs. It's well worth it if you're going all-in with this solution.

mickloud

moonie66 wrote:Simple questions:
I have
Verizon Fios - great wifi
4 TVs - each with set top box now
1 router
1 pc
1 kindle
2 smart phones
1 desk top computer
1 xbox:
DO I HAVE EVERYTHING I NEED to install this - but the smartcard?
Can I get rid of all four set-top boxes, still record shows?
If you answer me in time I may still have time to order one of these!.
Thanks for quick CLEAR response

Yes, you can achieve what you're describing. See my post above.

I'm running a Windows 7 PC with Media Center... this acts as my DVR. You're going to need WMC or some type of comparable PVR product on your PC in order to replace the DVR functionality.

I use my Xbox 360 as the "main" media center extender for watching live TV and recorded content (DVR) in the living room.

After that though, you're going to need some kind of 'receiver' to push TV signals to those other 3 TVs.

You can hookup a laptop/desktop, you can get another Xbox 360 on the cheap, you can buy an official 'Media Center Extender' product, or you can rig some kind of over-the-air solution like using the InstaTV Pro app on your iOS device to ChromeCast the live cable TV signal to the TV.

mickloud

I'm going to make this a separate post:

The official HDHomeRun app sucks.

Use InstaTV Pro instead

tmann05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tmann05
mckinnej wrote:Another Roku question, sort of. I have a pretty simple setup. I use a plain old antenna to get OTA broadcasts and I have multiple Rokus for streaming media via Netflix, Plex, etc. I've got a network connection to each TV, but not an antenna connection.

Can I use this device to share the OTA channels to all of my TVs? (Let's keep this simple folks. I'm not interested in setting up a satellite tracking station just to watch TV. If this device will not do this, does anyone know of something that will? TIA!

You should opt for the Tablo. Roku is supported for viewing. It is a great device and I've been reading good reviews. The current model has 2 tuners and the 4 tuner model is coming soon.

http://www.tablotv.com/

It's so funny to read about everyone's tv setups and how much work is being put into them. I use an OTA Antenna for local channels and playon + roku for any other content I could ever need.

Search youtube for "using playon and roku to get free tv" and watch my video you will see what I mean.

All you need is:
*A good computer
*Playon software
*Roku
*TV
*Internet

I pay $25 a month for internet and can get anything you guys with cable are getting.

Thank me later

KenHAVSHDTV

Tom84 wrote:So will it work with someone who has cable but not a cablebox/cablecard? I get a few digital channels too (local HD and the music channels).

No, without a cable TV subscription and a cablecard, the HDHomeRun Prime will not get you any cable TV channels.

The basic way to think about the HDHomeRun Prime is when you connect it to a PC it's a replacement for a cableco supplied box or DVR that gets all the cable channels you pay for. You can also use other hardware (like a tablet) and apps (like InstaTV Pro) to replace the PC.

With the HDHomeRun Prime and PC, and CableCard and cable TV subscription, you can get any of the channels your cableco carries, but you still have to pay for the cable package those channels are on.

The benefit is that a it usually costs a lot less than renting the cableco supplied equipment and is much more flexible in what it does (3 tuners) and more sophisticated (better guide and user interface) in how it lets you watch and record TV.

Also, DLNA? Does that mean it will work with, for example, a smart tv like the Samsung ones which support playing from DLNA?

It should, yes.

moonie66

mickloud wrote:I have this thing... it's awesome.

I returned all my Verizon cable boxes and run this with one $5/month cable card and an i5/16gb PC running Windows 7 Ultimate with Media Center (Also running Plex and XBMC). This machine powers all my TV watching and even acts as a DVR.

If you're looking to strike a compromise between cutting your cable costs and cutting the cord altogether, this is what you're looking for.

One thing I'll point out:

The 'official' HDHomeRun app sucks. You cannot watch HD -- only SD is watchable. (This is on a 5ghz network too).

However, a compatible app -- InstaTV Pro -- does work and will provide a beautiful HD stream. They will require you to make an additional purchase in order to stream live TV -- something about codecs. It's well worth it if you're going all-in with this solution.

I just checked this months Verizon bill here in NY - I would save $43/month. pays for itself in 2 months. WOW. I am leaning towards purchase. Just hoping I can figure it all out.

moonie66

mickloud wrote:Yes, you can achieve what you're describing. See my post above.

I'm running a Windows 7 PC with Media Center... this acts as my DVR. You're going to need WMC or some type of comparable PVR product on your PC in order to replace the DVR functionality.

I use my Xbox 360 as the "main" media center extender for watching live TV and recorded content (DVR) in the living room.

After that though, you're going to need some kind of 'receiver' to push TV signals to those other 3 TVs.

You can hookup a laptop/desktop, you can get another Xbox 360 on the cheap, you can buy an official 'Media Center Extender' product, or you can rig some kind of over-the-air solution like using the InstaTV Pro app on your iOS device to ChromeCast the live cable TV signal to the TV.

This may be a silly question but I saw someone else - less techy - like me ask it too. How do I change the channels? With PC Media?

eddykim3

Here's my setup, since my inlaws moved in with us I have 2 of these.

I live in a 3 story house and it's NOT wired with ethernet. The router & HDHRs are next to the TV in the living room on the 2nd floor, the main media center computer is in my office on the 3rd floor.

I use and XBOX360 to the TV in the living room. I have a dual band AC router and it seems to work well over wifi. My father-in-law is 65 and doesn't know how to use a smart phone, but he caught on fairly quickly. FYI - the XBOX360 Media Center remote gives it a pretty intuitive user experience.

In my bedroom I'm using a FireTV box side-loaded with XBMC. The latest beta release of XBMC is able to HW decode MPEG2. XBMC is a little buggy but it works well for me.

My mother-in-law uses a Nexus 10 in the kitchen.

Wife uses her iPad (with InstaTV). She does most of her TV watching in the bathroom while getting ready for work.

KenHAVSHDTV

moonie66 wrote:This may be a silly question but I saw someone else - less techy - like me ask it too. How do I change the channels? With PC Media?

If you use a PC, you run everything with Windows Media Center (WMC). WMC 'sees' the HDHomeRun Prime as a 3 tuner cable TV source.

It gives you easy access to all the media (pictures, videos, music, recorded TV, live TV, etc.) on your PC. For live TV it gives you a guide, program info, recording options, trick play (rewind and pause live TV), audio volume, and more.

You can use the mouse and keyboard to control WMC, or buy a WMC remote control and USB IR receiver (plugs into PC) that makes the whole set up work like a cable box DVR, except much better.

eddykim3

moonie66 wrote:This may be a silly question but I saw someone else - less techy - like me ask it too. How do I change the channels? With PC Media?

Maybe a screen shot will help.

Windows Media Center - full guide, etc, DVR capability, etc....

QuickTV - for live viewing, quick and dirty.

KenHAVSHDTV

eddykim3 wrote:Maybe a screen shot will help.

Windows Media Center - full guide, etc, DVR capability, etc....

Yes indeed. Do you have one with the transport controls on screen?

mickloud

With the xbox 360 controller

Or, you pick up a "Media Remote" (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/controllers/Xbox360MediaRemote) for the 360. I haven't done this yet but plan on it.

mickloud

mickloud wrote:With the xbox 360 controller

Or, you pick up a "Media Remote" (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/controllers/Xbox360MediaRemote) for the 360. I haven't done this yet but plan on it.

sorry, should have asked to be more clear

when using the 360 as a media center extender, you use the 360 remote or the media remote

if youre watching TV on your PC, you can simply point and click like the above screenshots

eddykim3

mickloud wrote:With the xbox 360 controller

I prefer the white one because it has a dedicated MEDIA CENTER button on it. Power on your XBOX, press the Media Center button, and BAM there you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Universal-Media-Remote/dp/B000B6MLSM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399403907&sr=8-4&keywords=xbox+360+remote+wireless

eddykim3

mickloud wrote:sorry, should have asked to be more clear

when using the 360 as a media center extender, you use the 360 remote or the media remote

if youre watching TV on your PC, you can simply point and click like the above screenshots

yes.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
KenHAVSHDTV wrote:No, you can not customize a channel guide on a Comcast cable box. You can set up a 'Favorites' list, but it only has a maximum of 10 channels and it does not let you channel surf up and down without seeing all the channels.

When using a HDHomeRun Prime with Windows Media Center, you can set up your guide to include or exclude as many channels as you want and cycle thru them in the guide or surf without seeing the channels you delete.

On my box, I can set up multiple "favorites" (lists). I haven't maxed out how many sets of favorites I can have. I have not yet run in to any max number of channels in a favorite. I have one with 45 channels - basically all the ones I use. My wife has a different list of favorites.

As someone said previously, any experience is going to be dependant on the specific location, hardware, and services.

eddykim3

KenHAVSHDTV wrote:Windows Media Center - full guide, etc, DVR capability, etc....

Yes indeed. Do you have one with the transport controls on screen?

A few more screenshots of WMC

KenHAVSHDTV

joelsisk wrote:On my box, I can set up multiple "favorites" (lists). I haven't maxed out how many sets of favorites I can have. I have not yet run in to any max number of channels in a favorite. I have one with 45 channels - basically all the ones I use. My wife has a different list of favorites.

As someone said previously, any experience is going to be dependant on the specific location, hardware, and services.

You're on Comcast, right? What box do you have? X1 platform?

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
KenHAVSHDTV wrote:You're on Comcast, right? What box do you have? X1 platform?

Yes, on comcast in Denver. I honestly have no clue which box, but it predates X1... It is whatever was standard when we got "preferred triple play" about 3 years ago. (can I just off-topic how much I hate the names of plans? how UN-intuitive they are, etc)

For what it's worth, I'm trying to figure out if this product will even do anything for me. I don't have a gaming system, just one smart tv and 2 dumb (CRT!) tvs. I was thinking I might just use this to feed a dvr, but not sure if that's "all" I need, whether this is the most appropriate product. I do have some spare computer/laptop hardware and external drives, but they only connect via usb (2), so not sure they would be appropriate to stream HD. And if I can't stream to the dumb CRTs, I'd have to pay the "additional outlet" and "additional digital adapter" fees anyway, which makes me think I may just be better off with a TiVo.

jon98gn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages jon98gn
eddykim3 wrote:I prefer the white one because it has a dedicated MEDIA CENTER button on it. Power on your XBOX, press the Media Center button, and BAM there you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Universal-Media-Remote/dp/B000B6MLSM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399403907&sr=8-4&keywords=xbox+360+remote+wireless

Why even power on your xbox 360. If you hit the Windows Media Center Button, it'll automatically turn on your xbox 360. ;) I just saved you a step.

\

KenHAVSHDTV

joelsisk wrote:Yes, on comcast in Denver. I honestly have no clue which box, but it predates X1...

Hmmm. I know Comcast pretty well and I don't know of any of their boxes that let you do what you describe. It must be one of their test beds, and the Denver area is likely for that, but I can tell you that you're very lucky and in a very small minority in this regard.

For what it's worth, I'm trying to figure out if this product will even do anything for me.

And if I can't stream to the dumb CRTs, I'd have to pay the "additional outlet" and "additional digital adapter" fees anyway, which makes me think I may just be better off with a TiVo.

After you get the PC set up and buy the HDHomeRun Prime, it would be considerably less expensive per month than a TiVo. Here is a link to info from someone who switched from TiVo to this type of system: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1422535/windows-media-center-vs-tivo-premiere
It's long but will answer all your questions and more.

KenHAVSHDTV

eddykim3 wrote:A few more screenshots of WMC

Thanks! As you say, easier to see than explain.

Silicondust

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silicondust
steveken wrote:My HDHomeRun Prime will work with OTA Digital Signals. Not sure where you are getting your information.

Erm, it's our product that is for sale here. And to be 10000000% clear, HDHomeRun PRIME can not receive over the air broadcasts.

steveken wrote:No, it will NOT do ClearQAM like your TV does.

Yes, it will do clear QAM.

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.
Website | Community Forum | Submit a Support Ticket

Silicondust

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Silicondust
wooterhamlincoln wrote:Chicago area Comcast: HD card fee is an additional outlet fee $10. I asked about the free card and they said it only applies to standard def cards. Because we have triple play, it doesn't save us anything (Box is included in the package).

If you have a package that includes a box, but choose to use a CableCARD instead of that box, the provider is required by federal code to provide a discount for the use of customer-owned hardware. Comcast does do this, though you may have to specifically ask for it.

Official account of Silicondust, makers of the HDHomeRun Dual, HDHomeRun Plus, and HDHomeRun PRIME networked digital TV tuners.
Website | Community Forum | Submit a Support Ticket

jmazza81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmazza81
eddykim3 wrote:You can view premium channels like HBO on Windows Media Center or on HDHomeRun VIEW Android app.

Does HDHomeRun VIEW Android app stream to Chromecast? Sounds like that would be a nice solution.

jmazza81

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmazza81

Anybody have first hand experience with using PS3 as their media extender?

thequonk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thequonk

This is incorrect, since the DRM is decoded in the HDHomerun this device is able to watch DRM channels in Linux. I've been doing this for years with no issues.

pcgooroo wrote:I've had mine for about 6 months with Comcast xfinity as my cable provider and I love it. A couple things you need to know:
1. You will need a cablecard from your television provider
2. any drm protected channels will require the use of ONLY Windows media center, you cannot descramble with anything else (Mac,Linux,etc)
3. Check with your provider on which channels are drm if you don't plan to use wmc. Luckily for me, Comcast only drms very select channels suck as premium movie channels and a couple oddball regular channels such as oxygen network, mtv, and a few others.

efooter

quality posts: 18 Private Messages efooter

Can anyone in the know tell me if this runs an OCAP stack, and if so, can I write and run my own Java Xlets for this? Or is that just wishful thinking?

E- I'll partially answer the first half of my own question - it is CableLabs certified, so it probably runs an OCAP stack. Now if I could only run those Xlets :O

SiliconDust’s HDHomeRun® PRIME™ achieves CableLabs® OpenCable™ Certification
http://www.silicondust.com/company/news/

cookm32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cookm32

I will weigh in on my set-up. I bought the HDHR Prime through Woot almost two years ago after Comcast encrypted all of their channels, rendering my HDHR Dual useless.

I use MythTV as a PVR and often am recording three channels simultaneously without issue.

I rarely stream directly from the HDHR over my wireless network (802.11n), but when I have, it hasn't been an issue. MythTV serves up the recorded stream just fine over wireless to my laptop and via Ethernet to my smart TV.

Regarding CableCard cost...for my area (Michigan), Comcast gives me one free "device". Since I have two HD cable boxes and one CableCard, I get one of my cable boxes for free and pay for the other cable box and the CableCard. The CableCard cost is much less than the cable box. I believe I pay $1.50/mo.

I did buy a Roku 3 through Woot recently with the intention of trying to extend the use of my HDHR Prime to my home theater room which doesn't currently have access to cable. As others have noted, you need to use something in between your HDHR and Roku to convert the format. I haven't had a chance to configure it yet, but intend to try to leverage PLEX, as has been noted earlier.

jon98gn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages jon98gn
jmazza81 wrote:Anybody have first hand experience with using PS3 as their media extender?

I haven't really used it much, but because it is DLNA certified, it just shows up under video as a service.

\

amoraluv

quality posts: 3 Private Messages amoraluv

I called comcast and they said additional cable cards run for $7.95. Then you get the $2.50 credit for bring your own device.