Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

As this recent article on TechCrunch reminded us, we think it’s really cool when Woot-fan programmers create their own Woot-based apps, like the various Woot-Off trackers and Woot widgets out there. So cool, in fact, that we’re offering a programming interface to make it easier to create custom apps.

As you can see at http://www.woot.com/salerss.aspx, it’s basically a standard RSS XML feed with some added Woot sale extensions for properties like price, condition, sold-out status, etc. (There’s one for Wine.Woot, too, at http://wine.woot.com/salerss.aspx.) Designing your apps to look at this page is a lot better than scraping our regular front page, for a whole bunch of reasons: the XML code is easier to work with, it puts less load on our servers, and your apps will be more stable because code changes to our front page won’t affect them. And the programming interface is just as up-to-date as our front page, even during Woot-Offs.

Feel free to show off your custom Woot widgets, gadgets, whatnots, and flibbertigibbets in the discussion below. And let us know what you’d like to see us do to encourage more of this kind of thing. We know we already have a substantial bank of 3rd-party apps – it’s our policy never to discourage anyone from doing unpaid work for us.

christoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christoc

Great news! All the developers thank you!

dbt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbt

I actually use the Microsummary, because it's the smallest amount of text and I hate xml. And it has the wootoff % which means you can use it in a greasemonkey script to update the progress bar and reload the page when the microsummary description has changed from what's on the front page.

BobMysterioso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobMysterioso

Good job woot!

This should help with the stability and accuracy of some woot checkers, reduce load and increase euphoria in general.

I feel better already.

jordan314

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordan314

Very ribs!
That linkedinabox script is freaking awesome, thanks for the techcrunch link. It reminds me of a certain SNL song though...

-edit-
Very ribs? You guys have a sense of humor...

airjrdn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages airjrdn

I've been using http://www.woot.com/blog/rss.aspx on MyOwnSite.us for a long time.

RSS is where it's at baby.

quicksilverish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quicksilverish

I use wootagent.com (the one mentioned in the woot article)

Their program seems great and I love it. I'm glad woot lets its users do this kind of thing, you guys rock!

ircmaxell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ircmaxell

Well, since you like unpaid work, could I make a dumb sugestion/request... Make a listing on the woot site of trackers/widgets/gadgets/etc...????

BagsOfCrap.com - For All Things Woot!
Woot-Off Trackers
Items So Far This Woot-Off

Note - My old signature image won't work anymore since Woot stores it, so it won't be updated... Sorry for the inconvenience...

SailorSpoon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SailorSpoon

I've been putting off writing a wortwhile Dashboard Widget for far too long.
This will make it easy when I finally get down to brass tacks.

ribs ribs ribs.

Spoooon!

tomwm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomwm

It would be nice if you offered this in JSON format as well--it's somewhat easier to consume. I might make a woot-off monitor myself if this happened.

Oh, and thank you for creating an RSS feed that only has the products in it! I don't need you to help me waste my time, thank you ;-).

--Tom

12/8/2006: Dell Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Bundle ($39.99 + $5.00 S&H)
4/14/2007: Aerielle Audiobug FM Transmitter ($9.99 + $5.00 S&H)
6/25/2007: Nokia 770 Internet Tablet ($129.99 + $5.00 S&H)

Zilla79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zilla79

*rant for no reason*

*looks at xml file*

*codes*

*happy*

--> Official Muse: Dodgeball #25

--=-=-=Penguin Assault Force=-=-=--

lukeduff

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lukeduff
ircmaxell wrote:Well, since you like unpaid work, could I make a dumb sugestion/request... Make a listing on the woot site of trackers/widgets/gadgets/etc...????

We'd have to pay someone to track them all, test them all, keep the list updated, etc.

BC4L!

Bandman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bandman

You guys rock!

I whipped up a little shell script (since I run Linux on my desktop at work) for woot offs. It displays the current woot and pops up a little message window when it changes. I'll modify it to make use of this new page. Thanks!

Here's the code as it exists:

[code]
#!/bin/bash

while true ; do
TITLE=`lynx --dump www.woot.com | grep -a1 product\(s\) | grep -v product\(s\) | grep -v \^\$ | tail -n 1`
PRICE=`lynx --dump www.woot.com | grep "5 shipping" | cut -d + -f 1`
echo "$TITLE: $PRICE"

if [ "$PREVTITLE" != "$TITLE" ] ; then
ALERT=`xmessage -center -print -buttons "Show Me","No Thanks" "NEW WOOT!
$TITLE - $PRICE"`
if [ "$ALERT" = "Show Me" ] ; then
firefox http://www.woot.com
fi
fi
PREVTITLE=$TITLE
sleep 30
done

[/code]

CollinstheClown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CollinstheClown

Someone should make a Woot Checker for the Google hompage.

FinalFantasyMook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FinalFantasyMook

Uh, is there a reason the xmlns:woot attribute is on every woot namespaced tag instead of in the rss tag at the top?

I think this can cause problems with some stupid xml parsers. (though they should only crap out if the provided uri's don't match)

dagimp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dagimp
CollinstheClown wrote:Someone should make a Woot Checker for the Google hompage.

they already exist. I have two in fact! Just search for woot I think thats how I found them.

wootsnoop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootsnoop

EDIT: I'm pleased to announce wootSnoop v1.94 is now fully compatible with the RSS feed. wootSnoop no longer scrapes woot.com for its data. I hope it eases server load.

Don't forget about wootSnoop. This program was created this year and has been serving nearly 12,000 users for many many months.

t is completely customizable and feature-rich with features such as audio alerts, email alerts, price comparison, history tracking, it's multi-platform (Win, Linux, AND Mac!), and the list goes on! It also has a proven track record to add many new features between every woot-off as well as fix any defect within hours! Check it out!

quicksilverish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quicksilverish

Wootsnoop:

I tested your program against wootagents. To be honest, your's is alot harder to undertsand and use/customize right off the bat. I'm not a fan of the browser window in the corner that pops up either. How long has this service been running?

blackbearnh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blackbearnh

There's also Woot Watcher, the Firefox toolbar extension (that I happen to be the author of...)

James M Turner

ircmaxell

lukeduff wrote:

We'd have to pay someone to track them all, test them all, keep the list updated, etc.

How about something like this,
Any registered member can list an item (through a simple form that checks existing listings).

Have a vote link (1-5) and a working link (yes/no) next to each link

If 5 or more users click the not working link within a reasonable time (2 days lets say), then the link is marked not functioning.

Sort the listings by functioning and then vote.

Make a user admin part that will allow the creater of the item to update the listing (incase the broken listing is fixed, etc)...

Just an idea (that wouldn't be too difficult to program)...

Woot-Off Trackers

Note - My old signature image won't work anymore since Woot stores it, so it won't be updated... Sorry for the inconvenience...

mikeq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeq

It would be nice to have flags for the Pope Hat and Two-fer Tuesday. You have <woot:soldout>, <woot:wootoff>, etc. I am suggesting adding <woot:popehat>True</woot:popehat> for example.

Thanks,

powerpiglet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages powerpiglet

Can you Woot gods add some of the stats from the "product stats" tab? My Woot checker currently scrapes the item quantity of sold-out items.

ircmaxell

powerpiglet wrote:Can you Woot gods add some of the stats from the "product stats" tab? My Woot checker currently scrapes the item quantity of sold-out items.

I asked the same thing about a week ago. He said he would do that, but nothing yet...

Woot-Off Trackers

becu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages becu
Jason Toon wrote:

Great!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed

hasn't that been around for awhile?
i thought the wikipedia entry used to keep track of the various trackers...

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

biscuitwarmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biscuitwarmer
blackbearnh wrote:There's also Woot Watcher, the Firefox toolbar extension (that I happen to be the author of...)

I use that! Good job dude.
Thanks for making the text smaller. I almost un-installed it cause it was so long.
But now its little and unobtrusive. Now throughout the day when I think to myself : "what was on Woot again.?" I look down and know. Thanks.

xoring

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xoring
lukeduff wrote:

Not if you made it a Wiki page.

strider72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages strider72
ircmaxell wrote:Make a listing on the woot site of trackers/widgets/gadgets/etc...????

lukeduff wrote:We'd have to pay someone to track them all, test them all, keep the list updated, etc.

Wiki page!

spencerlucas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spencerlucas
CollinstheClown wrote:Someone should make a Woot Checker for the Google hompage.

there is one. search their widgets. I use it, so i know it's there somewhere.

crashspeeder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crashspeeder

My woot checker has been around for about 3 wootoffs and running strong (now with a few modifications). I decided to make a software version that checks my site and writes the XML to the program and makes it look almost exactly like my site (which in turn looks almost exactly like woot). I'll take input on changes to the checker and the software version.

here's the link to the software woot checker which requires the .NET Framework v2. Test it out and let me know.

woot-checker: http://woot.dswebhost.net - New item sound, picture, AJAX, mobile compatible
or check out the Text-only version - same features, no picture
or maybe you want a software app (DSWoot 1.0) to keep track of the woot-off.
List of woot!-off checkers

adizzle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adizzle

I've made WootWatchers.com which does SMS/Email alerts with customizable filters. It's going pretty good with over 2100 users. I'll have to update it to use the new RSS XML feed. That way reduce the load on ole woot.

I'm lovin it, keep up the good work guys!

Get Email/Text Notifications of Latest Woot:
WootWatchers.com

jordan314

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jordan314

I just wanted to note that this is now the number #1 google page for the search term "very ribs," coined by me.

Very ribs!

Nemnoch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nemnoch

Since I use Myspace a lot, I added a section and use the http://www.woot.com/blog/rss.aspx incorporated into thespringbox.com's RSS widget. That way I can check the latest RSS and still communicate with friends who insist on using myspace and not email, telephone or whatever.

Ersan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ersan

There's a problem with the soldoutpercentage:
<woot:soldoutpercentage xmlns:woot="http://www.woot.com/">0.673</woot:soldoutpercentage>

According to the main page there's 31% left, this happens on other items as well, is it just an old cache?

EDIT: nevermind, that's obviously percent sold so far - kind of strange to do it that way but okay.

dahat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dahat

Any chance you guys could remove one of the two <index> tags or just rename one of them?

ircmaxell

How about the quantity tag when an item is sold out...

Oh, and when an item sells out, the RSS feed is delayed about 30 seconds from the main page (the main page sells out, then 30 secs later the feed does)

Woot-Off Trackers

Ersan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ersan
ircmaxell wrote:Oh, and when an item sells out, the RSS feed is delayed about 30 seconds from the main page (the main page sells out, then 30 secs later the feed does)

Not from what I've seen.

ircmaxell

Any thought on adding the quantity? It's really becoming old having to manually enter them in the database...

Woot-Off Trackers

njkrut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages njkrut

I really have to give some cred to Jason.

There are quite a few things that would be nice to be able to query from the rss feed but I am thinking that it is probably static it's probably best that it stay that way. I noticed that it seems like you make it very hard to get previous woot information. The blog seems difficult to navigate and it was very hard for our Woot Tracker to mine all that information to display in the archive. Is there some way to get the blog post and other things about the item through the (what I call) Woot Item ID? In order for us to get all the data in the archive we had to mine the blog from the beginning and match the item posted against the product title in our database.

Any suggestions? I would also like to reiterate that it would be absolutely great if we could get item qty, sold out time, bought one two three, etc in the RSS feed on sellout. That would make many wooters and woot tracker makers very happy.

Happy Wooting

ircmaxell

njkrut wrote:I really have to give some cred to Jason.

There are quite a few things that would be nice to be able to query from the rss feed but I am thinking that it is probably static it's probably best that it stay that way. I noticed that it seems like you make it very hard to get previous woot information. The blog seems difficult to navigate and it was very hard for our Woot Tracker to mine all that information to display in the archive. Is there some way to get the blog post and other things about the item through the (what I call) Woot Item ID? In order for us to get all the data in the archive we had to mine the blog from the beginning and match the item posted against the product title in our database.

Any suggestions? I would also like to reiterate that it would be absolutely great if we could get item qty, sold out time, bought one two three, etc in the RSS feed on sellout. That would make many wooters and woot tracker makers very happy.

Happy Wooting

I programed my tracker, that when it detects a sellout, it queries the main page once, and pulls the needed data... Then it switches back to the RSS feed until the next item sellout...

Woot-Off Trackers