Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

A couple of weeks ago, it seemed like everybody’s heart was a-flutter for Twitter, the social-networking application that lets you share brief status report messages with your fellow Twits – stuff like “currently grooming my nose hair” or “OMG this enchilada has a band-aid in it”. Then, last week, the anti-Twitter backlash set in. Today begins the anti-anti-Twitter-backlash backlash, because once people find out that Woot has its very own official Twitter-bot, they won’t be able to resist it.

That’s right: you can sign up for a free Twitter account, make Woot your Twitter friend, and receive automatic updates when we put a new product up, when the daily product sells out, or when anything else happens around here. Twitter updates are available through your IM client or as text messages on your phone, along with the standard web-based Twitter interface. Unlike other Woot watchers (which we also love), Twitter is a one-stop way to keep up with us and your “real” friends at the same time. And unlike our own SMS service through SayNow (again, much love), Twitter will be regularly updated during Woot-Offs.

But you should know that Twitter’s sudden, unexpected popularity surge has strained their servers. Hey, we know the feeling. We’ve been told that they’re working to speed things up, and we can tell: today it’s definitely faster than yesterday. Fortunately for us, the heaviest loads seem to come mostly during the day, while our most important messages go out at midnight. So it’s not much skin off our collective nose.

We have to thank a loyal and industrious Woot member, Jesse Newland, for starting this Twitter bot all on his own, and then passing it off to us. Kudos to you and yours, sir! We don’t know if any other online store has been so rash as to leap onto the Twitter bandwagon just yet. We’re not entirely certain that it makes any sense for us to do it. But let it never be said that Woot passed up any opportunity to insinuate ourselves deeper and deeper into your life.

BenrobNU

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BenrobNU

Perhaps a bit of foreshadowing for an upcoming woot-off?

awesome tool though, thanks guys

BenrobNU

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BenrobNU
BenrobNU wrote:Perhaps a bit of foreshadowing for an upcoming woot-off?

awesome tool though, thanks guys

I am an idiot.......<- it's already a woot-off!

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
BenrobNU wrote:Perhaps a bit of foreshadowing for an upcoming woot-off?

Like the current one?

The Woot-off seems to have broken it. There hasn't been a Twitter update since the Polaroid camera (5 hours ago)

The early notifications were murder via SMS though, as it was sending them for launch, sell-out, and various percentages throughout the item. Much better now with just the launch alert. (If they start back up again that is...)

Edit: The current projector (7:07 CDT) showed up. Hopefully that means people are awake now and watching things operate.

chevltom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chevltom

me thinks someone is using woot to test their service. It looks like the test didn't go so well....

splott

quality posts: 1 Private Messages splott

Y'know, there's a Firefox add-on called WootWatcher...it makes the current Woot item show up in your status bar, and if it's a woot-off it shows you what percentage of the item is remaining. It's nifty and not-broken as long as you have the most current version of Firefox (2.0+). O'course, you still have to look at your computer tho.

And wow, the update is quick, the percentage has changed just since I wrote this quick message.

Jason W

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jason W

Thanks so much for doing this -- I just got roped into Twitter myself. Woot's Twitter feed seems to be out of date; their last update suggests the Samsung UMPC is still up. Gotta keep retrying in the middle of the day while the servers are extremely overloaded!

moorerandall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moorerandall

you guys do realize that the text messages are from a foreign country therefore incurring international fees

it would be a great thing to try but i dont wanna pay the international fees

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
moorerandall wrote:you guys do realize that the text messages are from a foreign country therefore incurring international fees

From Twitter's FAQ:

Twitter is in the United States...what if I'm not?

We have international numbers for people outside of the US. If you're in the United Kingdom (UK) or most places in and around the European Union (EU) you can use: +44 7781 488126. This is our main international number currently, but if you'd like to see a local number for your area, Write us and let us know!

And:

Text Messages? Sounds expensive. How much will it cost me?

Twitter is free; we don't charge you a dime.

And:

How will Twitter affect my phone bill?

It depends on your phone plan. Some people pay a per-message charge of ten cents or more. Some people have an allotted number of text messages monthly. Some (lucky!) people have unlimited text plans.

glabifrons

quality posts: 3 Private Messages glabifrons

Um... the bot's broken.
No updates for a looong time now.
I thought this would be awesome, having an SMS message for each update... so I can actually cook, eat, sleep, (even WORK!), etc. during a woot-off.
Please fix it... this really is a great idea! :^)

Tom84

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Tom84
moorerandall wrote:you guys do realize that the text messages are from a foreign country therefore incurring international fees

You are the reason people make fun of woot forums members.

wootlover54321

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootlover54321

So, when are you guys going to get back to using the twitter accounts? Did the guy who had the password to the accounts go on vacation or something?

KevinatWoot

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KevinatWoot
wootlover54321 wrote:So, when are you guys going to get back to using the twitter accounts? Did the guy who had the password to the accounts go on vacation or something?

doh!

Thanks for pointing that out, we will fix it today.

wootlover54321

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootlover54321
KevinatWoot wrote:doh!

Thanks for pointing that out, we will fix it today.

Thanks! I see the Twitter accounts are back to giving updates.

jamesmusik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesmusik

Someone seems to have turned off the twittering again...

YouCantWootThis

quality posts: 17 Private Messages YouCantWootThis

Please use a separate Twitter account for kids.woot.com

I was using Twitter to follow the last woot-off, and I had to shut it off because it was such a pain to weed out all the kids.woot deals while both sites were wooting off.

Seriously, I want to follow woot, not kids.woot. I should be able to follow one without having to follow both.

Does anyone else feel that way?

brossow

quality posts: 4 Private Messages brossow

No Twitter updates in a week. What up with that?