+ Add a Comment

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
thelutes wrote:

This is what the sun has done to my blue lake green beans.....

A little on the crispy side



I'll say. That's what husband usually plants, but I have a feeling he may not be planting beans this year. I think he's getting tired of it after 35 years. He's more into flowers now.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

Garden is coming along slowly:



(The row labeled 'White Boston Lettuce' is actually only showing the radish that was sown along with the lettuce seeds. The lettuce is in there too, but smaller.)

The main problem with this garden is an ornamental bush in the neighbor's lawn that sheds MILLIONS of tiny little paper punch looking petals. Every one of them germinates into a new plant when they hit the soil of the garden, which 900,000+ of them made a conscious decision to do ... Bastards. I weeded the main aisles and between two rows of corn yesterday, and filled a 5 gallon bucket with weeds 4 times. I hope the crops have as good a yield as the weeds do.

The compost pile has become overrun with bird vetch though (as can be seen in the background of the corn pic). Nothing is as persistent or prolific as this stuff. Luckily, I've managed to keep it out of the garden for the most part this year.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Very nice looking garden. Tons of work.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

gwp wrote:Garden is coming along slowly:



(The row labeled 'White Boston Lettuce' is actually only showing the radish that was sown along with the lettuce seeds. The lettuce is in there too, but smaller.)

The main problem with this garden is an ornamental bush in the neighbor's lawn that sheds MILLIONS of tiny little paper punch looking petals. Every one of them germinates into a new plant when they hit the soil of the garden, which 900,000+ of them made a conscious decision to do ... Bastards. I weeded the main aisles and between two rows of corn yesterday, and filled a 5 gallon bucket with weeds 4 times. I hope the crops have as good a yield as the weeds do.

The compost pile has become overrun with bird vetch though (as can be seen in the background of the corn pic). Nothing is as persistent or prolific as this stuff. Luckily, I've managed to keep it out of the garden for the most part this year.



LOL, what is that in your sig line?
I'm rotating the pictures, I still have the idol one. I'll put it back.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
dontwantaname wrote:
LOL, what is that in your sig line?



There are ten rotating sig sayings. I can tell from your reaction which one you saw.


dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:It worked! I finished the garden because I posted the pictures of it just sitting there undone!
Did it yesterday.

before


And after....I still need a few more plants, but now it is easy.






Progress report as of today 6/17



WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
dontwantaname wrote:Progress report as of today 6/17





Stuff's growin'! (More so in your garden than in your neighbor's buckets.)

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

gwp wrote:

Stuff's growin'! (More so in your garden than in your neighbor's buckets.)



It seems that way. My cukes aren't doing much.
I should have blackberries soon. That is a weed. A tasty weed. We were lucky that I put that plant in a garden with the house on one side and driveway on all the others, or it would be everywhere!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

gwp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
dontwantaname wrote:

It seems that way. My cukes aren't doing much.
I should have blackberries soon. That is a weed. A tasty weed. We were lucky that I put that plant in a garden with the house on one side and driveway on all the others, or it would be everywhere!



My cukes are showing small leaves, as are the first few Butternet and Acorn squash. Pumpkins have leaves about silver dollar sized. Watermelon have a few of the mature leaves showing, but they were planted as seedlings, so they have a little head start. Peas are starting to put out feelers, so they're doing OK too. I've seen nothing from the cauliflower or chives yet. Endive, parsley and celery are doing fine in another garden.

No rain for a couple of weeks though, so they're all being watered at my expense for now...

ahrjones


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ahrjones
gwp wrote:

My cukes are showing small leaves, as are the first few Butternet and Acorn squash. Pumpkins have leaves about silver dollar sized. Watermelon have a few of the mature leaves showing, but they were planted as seedlings, so they have a little head start. Peas are starting to put out feelers, so they're doing OK too. I've seen nothing from the cauliflower or chives yet. Endive, parsley and celery are doing fine in another garden.

No rain for a couple of weeks though, so they're all being watered at my expense for now...



gwp - PM

Very impressive garden. I got some tomatoes & peppers from a guy at work, and the tomatoes are already flowering. My husband & I planted our pots yesterday in the very sweaty part of the day. We really like the ornamental millet; adds some nice height in the pots.

We don't do much in the dirt part of the yard, it's pretty well-landscaped, and I don't want to fix it if it's not broken.

Yes, and since I live in the same area, we are having the same lack of rain...

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Closer view



blackberries

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

kalyha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha

some one stole my dahlia!


I can't believe it, I had a gorgeous deep ruby dahlia that bloomed the other day, and I went out this morning and someone had pulled it out of the planter.

We were very proud of ourselves that we had over wintered it & replanted it successfully and happy that we would have something blooming for the garden tour next week (we have a lot of perennials that have already bloomed or will be blooming in July, late June is pretty green in our garden)
rrrrr starting to hate city living!

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
kalyha wrote:some one stole my dahlia!


I can't believe it, I had a gorgeous deep ruby dahlia that bloomed the other day, and I went out this morning and someone had pulled it out of the planter.

We were very proud of ourselves that we had over wintered it & replanted it successfully and happy that we would have something blooming for the garden tour next week (we have a lot of perennials that have already bloomed or will be blooming in July, late June is pretty green in our garden)
rrrrr starting to hate city living!



That was really rotten. Couldn't be deer or rabbits or something like that?



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

kalyha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha
pooflady wrote:

That was really rotten. Couldn't be deer or rabbits or something like that?


No deer or rabbits in the city, and there wasn't enough evidence for it to be a squirrel (they usually only bother with my bulbs and some herbs any way)

there was only a little dirt on the sidewalk below it like someone pulled it up & shook off some of the excess.

I can't believe someone poached my plant!

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
kalyha wrote:
No deer or rabbits in the city, and there wasn't enough evidence for it to be a squirrel (they usually only bother with my bulbs and some herbs any way)

there was only a little dirt on the sidewalk below it like someone pulled it up & shook off some of the excess.

I can't believe someone poached my plant!



Look at it this way. Maybe it was a little kid. Somebody might be handing it to their mother and saying, "I love you, Mommy."



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

terrybatey


quality posts: 2 Private Messages terrybatey

The rabbits are having a field day in the garden this year. Glad someone has time to enjoy the garden around here.

kalyha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha
pooflady wrote:

Look at it this way. Maybe it was a little kid. Somebody might be handing it to their mother and saying, "I love you, Mommy."



If it was just the flower I would have thought that, but the whole bloomin' plant? Roots dug up? I'm sure some one admired the color & brought it home to impress someone else, I just wish they had waited a week when the garden tour is over.

Sorry, I'm just pouting.

Oh well. Maybe I'll put mouse traps in my zinnias if they bloom this week.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kalyha wrote:
No deer or rabbits in the city, and there wasn't enough evidence for it to be a squirrel (they usually only bother with my bulbs and some herbs any way)

there was only a little dirt on the sidewalk below it like someone pulled it up & shook off some of the excess.

I can't believe someone poached my plant!



Plantnapper!
Where do you live that plants are unsafe.
That is the pits though. Especially since it was in bloom.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

peglegwookie


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peglegwookie

Actually have had some delicious greens come out of the garden my wife helps take care of.

Yummy salad with bacon ranch

kalyha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha

oops that was supposed to be a reply to D'Name's question of where plant nappers hangout.

I'm in Reading PA. In one of the Historic Districts, but I'm across from a bar, so I'm wondering if a drunk grabbed it on the way home

kalyha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha
peglegwookie wrote:Actually have had some delicious greens come out of the garden my wife helps take care of.

Yummy salad with bacon ranch



I clipped some grape leaves from the vines in the yard & blanched them, stuffed them with goat cheese & sun dried tomatoes & pine nuts then grilled 'em up. That was quite tasty!

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

kalyha wrote:oops that was supposed to be a reply to D'Name's question of where plant nappers hangout.

I'm in Reading PA. In one of the Historic Districts, but I'm across from a bar, so I'm wondering if a drunk grabbed it on the way home



That sounds nice....except for the drunks!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

kalyha


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalyha
dontwantaname wrote:

That sounds nice....except for the drunks!



It's good to be stumbling distance, bad to be trying to sleep with windows open when stumblers (& crotch-rocket jockey's) leave

qwertyuiop002


quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwertyuiop002

This thread is about as exciting as watching plants grow.

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

We put a timed sprinkler system in our flower bed . . . yay . . . they're all not dead.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

acemom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
qwertyuiop002 wrote:This thread is about as exciting as watching plants grow.


I like this thread, and I like seeing pics of people's gardens.
Back to page one.
dammit, Gman.



pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady




When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

acemom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom

Very pretty.
Thank you, pooflady.



pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady




When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady




When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:



Did you post the same garden last year?
Can he do my garden?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:



Holy c rap! Those are huge!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Have ya ever noticed how dirty dirt is?!?!?

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

acemom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom

Nice pics, Pooflady!
And I agree with dont, those are some big tomatoes!!

Yum.



AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

I love me some plump 'maters.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:

Did you post the same garden last year?
Can he do my garden?



The pots change every year and he adds and subtracts from the other gardens.

I'll see if I can do the deck and the other side of the deck tomorrow.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

acemom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
AZGman wrote:I love me some plump 'maters.


I did not plant any this year, not even grape tomatoes.
And I LOVE homegrown tomatoes!
I suppose I could still get a couple of those big potted ones they have at the nursery.
We cleaned out our greenhouse a couple of weeks ago.



AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
acemom wrote:
I did not plant any this year, not even grape tomatoes.
And I LOVE homegrown tomatoes!
I suppose I could still get a couple of those big potted ones they have at the nursery.
We cleaned out our greenhouse a couple of weeks ago.




slacker.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

acemom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
AZGman wrote:


slacker.


Thread vandal.



AZGman


quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
acemom wrote:
Thread vandal.



yup

Grumpy 'til the day I die.