Alien Research Group

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alien Research Group
 Woody1 wrote:
Ok, I hope people will, between purchases of woot, stop by once in a while and look this forum over. I will try to give to every charity (no cruzer, your college beer monies fund is not a charity, LOL!) and do what I can to help.

If you have a charity you feel passionate about, please post a link to it and why people should care, donate, support, etc.

I think this community of wooters can make a difference to all people in need. (No cruzer, beer monies still don't count) Holmesdog, this is for you[Z]

SO POST AWAY Cool

Give the Gift of Site

Please donate any used pair of prescription glasses to help both children and adults that cannot afford clear vision, to see for the first time.

Not asking for money, just one pair (or as many as you can find laying around Cool ) to help people that cannot afford to see.

I will post pictures and stories from the Sonora, MX mission I will be on in September off site to show you what your contributions meant to the people in need.

Please send them to;

Luxottica Retail
Attn: Woody1
4000 Luxottica Place
Mason, OH 45040

I appreciate woot for allowing this to post, and the person with the most pairs sent in by Sept 12th, (nudge factor coming, and send them all together please, so they can be counted) will get a package worth over $500 including a new Home Toshiba DVD Recorder and Dell 5.1 speaker set. This comes out of my pocket; this is just one of many, and I do mean many, charities I try to support.

i know this is 58 min. late, Woody.
But I said I would!

Payment Information
You have sent a secure payment of $20.00 USD for the items below. You will receive an email receipt for this transaction shortly.

Amount: $20.00 USD
Shipping & Handling: $0.00 USD
Item Number: 31-1385607
Item Title: Give the Gift of Sight

Quantity: 1
Total Amount: $20.00 USD

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom
 Alien Research Group wrote:

i know this is 58 min. late, Woody.
But I said I would!

Payment Information

You have sent a secure payment of $20.00 USD for the items below. You will receive an email receipt for this transaction shortly.

Amount: $20.00 USD
Shipping & Handling: $0.00 USD
Item Number: 31-1385607
Item Title: Give the Gift of Sight

Quantity: 1
Total Amount: $20.00 USD

How nice of you, ARG.....Mom approves and gives you MOMlove....

Alien Research Group

acemom wrote:

How nice of you, ARG.....Mom approves and gives you MOMlove....

Awww, acemom, I loves the MOMlove! Cool

Alien Research Group

cruzer wrote:
umm how about the charity for beer money for cru.....Big SmileCool

.......seriously though.... The Victory Junction gang camp is where I would start.
http://www.victoryjunction.org/vj/index/home

Hey cruzer, it doesn't show here but I made this donation in honor of "cruzer."

Victory Junction Gang Camp
4500 Adam's Way
Randleman, NC 27317
336-498-9055

August 25, 2005

X X XXXXXXXX
Cosmic Release Inc.
XXXXX IXXXXXXs Rd
XXXXX XXXXXX, CA XXXXX

Dear XXXXXXXX:

Now that 2005 is well underway, the staff and campers alike are looking forward to a phenomenal summer! Everyone is proud of the hard work and successes of this past year. Your recent donation of $20.00 on behalf of Cosmic Release Inc., paid with a Visa, will ensure scores of new campers will experience the magic that takes place at Victory Junction.

With ten summer sessions in 2005, we’ll aim to serve more than 1000 campers. This will be double the number of children (and twice the fun) as our first summer. If you are interested in volunteering, we would love your help. Our summer calendar is now posted on our website for your use.

We are thankful for friends like you who clearly understand the mission of the Victory Junction Gang Camp. Victory Junction is a magical, memorable and medically-advanced facility that is changing the lives of children with chronic and life-threatening illnesses and their families. The feedback we receive from campers’ families lets us know these children are more independent and livelier after their time here. And they can’t wait to come back!

Because of you, we are celebrating victory at every turn. We are grateful for your continued support.

Please know that in order to ensure that our costs remain low, this email will serve as your acknowledgement and tax receipt. No goods or services were received in exchange for this gift. If you require further assistance, please contact our office.

Once again, thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,
Victory Junction Gang Camp

Alien Research Group

holmesdog wrote:
Heifer Project International

Our History

A Four-Footed Attack Against Hunger

A Midwestern farmer named Dan West was ladling out rations of milk to hungry children during the Spanish Civil War when it hit him.

“These children don’t need a cup, they need a cow.”

West, who was serving as a Church of the Brethren relief worker, was forced to decide who would receive the limited rations and who wouldn’t – literally, who would live and who would die. This kind of aid, he knew, would never be enough.

So West returned home to form Heifers for Relief, dedicated to ending hunger permanently by providing families with livestock and training so that they “could be spared the indignity of depending on others to feed their children.”

In 1944, the first shipment of 17 heifers left York, Pennsylvania, for Puerto Rico, going to families whose malnourished children had never even tasted milk.

Why heifers? These are young cows that haven’t yet given birth – making them perfect not only for supplying a continued source of milk, but also for supplying a continued source of support. That’s because each family receiving a heifer agrees to “pass on the gift” and donate the female offspring to another family, so that the gift of food is never-ending.

This simple idea of giving families a source of food rather than short-term relief caught on and has continued for almost 60 years. As a result, millions of families in 115 countries are experiencing better health, more income and the joy of helping others.

Please visit Heifer Project International ?)

Here you go, holmesdog!

Thank you, your order has been completed.
08/25/2005 02:16 AM (PT)
Order #: 23596270
Heifer International

Billing Address

Cosmic Release Inc.
XXXXX IXXXXXXs Rd
XXXXX XXXXXX, CA XXXXX-XXXX
Payment Method: credit card

The following summarizes your order:

Name Description Quantity Price Total
Donation

Additional Donation Subtotal: $20.00
Total: $20.00

Heifer International contact information:
Email Address: info@heifer.org

Alien Research Group

OK, I have followed Woody's example and donated to every charity posted to this group up to this point.

Let's be Wooterz that don't just consume stuff! :)

holmesdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages holmesdog
OK, I have followed Woody's example and donated to every charity posted to this group up to this point.

Let's be Wooterz that don't just consume stuff! :)

You get some of gimma's hearts
Thank you ARG, I'm up next.

holmesdog

holmesdog

cerealkiller_001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cerealkiller_001

this is not the post you are looking for
::waves hand::

cerealkiller_001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cerealkiller_001

ignore this post

obob

quality posts: 6 Private Messages obob
I made a pledge to spamcon

Cool! Thanks much; it's rare among internet people to not gripe about all the spam in our in-boxes, yet even more rare are the people willing to do something, anything, about it. Other than, of course, gripe.

Obviously there are many other causes to which one could compare it, and it could come up lacking in relative urgency, but if that was all that mattered then we really should all be figuring out what's the one thing at the very top of every list (yeah, right - like more than a handful of people could ever agree!) and then working only on that one until it's solved. But that's certainly not how volunteering works best.

what, Me, sig?

Zack2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zack2
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), the number one genetic killer of children under the age of two.

Enough said.

http://www.fsma.org/

Except, "Please!"

and

Thank you.

ARG, thanks for this. We have a young child in our church (single mom situation) who has this terible disease, BUT, you will not (most of the time) find a happier, more well Adjusted young lady. Zipping around in her wheel chair is a sight to behold, although mom looks tired.
The Dr's said that it would help here strengthen her bones and perhaps give her some more time if she had a Dani (a standing wheelchair). Her state insurance turned them down cold. This is a $15.000 item, so what to do. Her story was picked up by the local paper, and the church (not knowing of the need before the story) became the clearing house for donations from individuals, businesses, etc.. Also, our pastor challenged us to raise enough to cover a major portion of the cost (much more with training etc.). In a very short time, with the community, the fundraisers, and donations from the children to the elders, the chair? is delivered, and there will be a "coming out party" at the church Sept 10th.
My point is, the need is there, the generous people are there, the prayers are there, but, if there is no information let out that there is a need, things become tougher. This is a case in point where, letting the people around you know that there is a need, can lead to a satisfactory resolution of a problem. This is where Woody's charity forum is needed here, it focuses on needs. SMA is truly a terrible thing, but with support from friends, family, and a community that cares, it is an easier burden to bear.
So, give to the charities, but also look around you, there are needs to be met on a local level and a direct donation to an individual cause not only speed the realization of a dream, but makes the donation personally satisfying. Nuf said.

Zack2

If I may make a suggestion. It is but a small thing, and you will not even notice it. When you buy postage stamps (some us still use them Smile) please buy the breast cancer stamps. They cost a few pennies more, but the $ above the going rate is donated to breast cancer research. This is a real easy, painless way to leave something for someone else, you may save a life. Ok, Thanks

holmesdog

You rock Zack. Great suggestion for some low cost donating.

Alien Research Group

Zack2 wrote:

ARG, thanks for this.

My pleasure.
This month happens to be SMA awareness month.
FSMA
They are making great progress towards a cure.
My nephew is such an amazing little guy. He is also such a great example, though not much more than three years old, in living a life joyously in spite of serious challenges!
Like yourself, I also trust in the power of prayer.
I also know faith without works is dead.
C'mon Wooters, forego that vat of popcorn and feel good about the legacy you wil leave for the time you spent while on your earth!
*smile*

Alien Research Group

holmesdog wrote:

You get some of gimma's hearts
Thank you ARG, I'm up next.

Your welcome!

holmesdog

Your welcome!

Awww

You made my day ARG, thanks.

Alien Research Group

holmesdog wrote:

Awww

You made my day ARG, thanks.

And you made mine by your donation to the cure for SMA!

Thank you!

AlienResearchGrpHome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AlienResearchGrpHome

Ok, I have changed my SN.

I have nothing to do with the website ARG, nor am I affiliated with anyone searching for alien life forms.

I am the alien. Sleep

Sorry if this may have caused anyone to become confused.

AlienResearchGrpHome

Thanks for your contribution to Give The Gift of Sight. The above
"payment details" indicate we received $20.00 for our foundation.
We truly appreciate your contribution. You are making a difference in
the lives of others by giving them the GIFT OF SIGHT.

Ruth
Give The Gift of Sight Foundation

Ruth A. Oehler
GOS Coordinator
Luxottica Retail
Give The Gift of Sight Foundation
4000 Luxottica Place
Mason, OH 45040
(513) 765-6739, Phone
(513) 492-6739, Fax
roehler@luxotticaretail.com

holmesdog

Time to step up to the plate again folks. Give blood and cash to the American Red Cross for the victims of Katrina.

Apparently cash is better than material things at this point. If you're so inclined prayers are always needed.

gimmaroon

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

Please help...
American Red Cross(Select 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund)

Humane Society Katrina Relief Fund
...and for good measure, since he's still MIA!!!

I'm glad Glori and Snookered are doing "okay", at least from what we know, so far.

My dad is on his way to NYC from New Orleans (w/ his crazy dog in tow) to move in w/ us for what may be months...and most of my family is still missing. I know them and have no doubt they'll find a way to get out of The Big Easy and check in as soon as they can.

The city has a huge population that lives below the poverty level and they desperately need any assistance you can spare. So many lives are permanently devastated by the death and destruction, so even if you can't give financial aid, be sure to throw in a pray for those on the Gulf Coast and The Big Easy.

Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.

BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

...and a biiiig shout out to BlindWilly for his unselfish generousity to my dad and his dog while they bunkered down in Houston. If my dad's house is still there, you've always got a place to go when you wanna visit New Orleans...he loves hanging out in jazz clubs, so I know you'll have a blast (if the city can be rebuilt).

TRIPgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TRIPgrad

FEMA listed the following agencies as needing cash to assist hurricane victims:

· American Red Cross, 800-HELP-NOW (435-7669) English, 800-257-7575 Spanish.

· America's Second Harvest, 800-344-8070.

· Adventist Community Services, 800-381-7171.

· Catholic Charities USA, 800-919-9338.

· Christian Disaster Response, 941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554.

· Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, 800-848-5818.

· Church World Service, 800-297-1516.

· Convoy of Hope, 417-823-8998.

· Lutheran Disaster Response, 800-638-3522.

· Mennonite Disaster Service, 717-859-2210.

· Nazarene Disaster Response, 888-256-5886.

· Operation Blessing, 800-436-6348.

· Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, 800-872-3283.

· Salvation Army, 800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769).

· Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief, 800-462-8657, Ext. 6440.

· United Methodist Committee on Relief, 800-554-8583.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

Wootie Tootie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wootie Tootie

Good sites to help the animals suffering from the hurricane:

Noah's Wish
http://www.noahswish.org/

Humane Society of the U.S.
http://www.hsus.org/
https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005?

Woody1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Woody1
 gimmaroon wrote:
...and a biiiig shout out to BlindWilly for his unselfish generousity to my dad and his dog while they bunkered down in Houston. If my dad's house is still there, you've always got a place to go when you wanna visit New Orleans...he loves hanging out in jazz clubs, so I know you'll have a blast (if the city can be rebuilt).

AT&T is doubling the employee donations up to $50,000 per employee (wish I made that kind of coin). Point is most companies do so please check your company policy and fill out the form FIRST. That's usually a requirement to get it doubled and approved by your CFO. DO IT PEOPLE!

Thank you Wink

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

AlienResearchGrpHome

TRIPgrad wrote:
FEMA listed the following agencies as needing cash to assist hurricane victims:

· American Red Cross, 800-HELP-NOW (435-7669) English, 800-257-7575 Spanish.

· America's Second Harvest, 800-344-8070.

· Adventist Community Services, 800-381-7171.

· Catholic Charities USA, 800-919-9338.

· Christian Disaster Response, 941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554.

· Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, 800-848-5818.

· Church World Service, 800-297-1516.

· Convoy of Hope, 417-823-8998.

· Lutheran Disaster Response, 800-638-3522.

· Mennonite Disaster Service, 717-859-2210.

· Nazarene Disaster Response, 888-256-5886.

· Operation Blessing, 800-436-6348.

· Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, 800-872-3283.

· Salvation Army, 800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769).

· Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief, 800-462-8657, Ext. 6440.

· United Methodist Committee on Relief, 800-554-8583.

Excellent job, TRIPgrad.

acemom

I briefly saw a thing on NBC tonight about taking in families who've been left homelesss by Katrina.... anyone know where that website is??
Acedad and i want to check it out.
And BTW, we sent a check for $1000.00 to the Red Cross today, designated for N.O. hurricane refugee help.
This thing breaks my heart.

AlienResearchGrpHome

acemom wrote:
I briefly saw a thing on NBC tonight about taking in families who've been left homelesss by Katrina.... anyone know where that website is??
And BTW, we sent a check for $1000.00 to the Red Cross today, designated for N.O. hurricane refugee help.

That's so beautiful of you, acemom, and acedad.
ARGH approves, and gives you some Alien love!

Here's the link you want:
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/hhh/

AlienResearchGrpHome

AlienResearchGrpHome wrote:

That's so beautiful of you, acemom, and acedad.
ARGH approves, and gives you some Alien love!

Here's the link you want:

These may also be helpful:

craigslist resources for Katrina Survivors:
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/about/help/katrina_cl.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for missing family and/or friends?

lost and found:
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/laf/

Can you provide temporary shelter for hurricane victims?

temporary housing / shares / apartments

Volunteer opportunities

volunteer listings:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/vol/

General community notices and updates

all community listings:

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/ccc/

gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

ARG, thanks so much for the informational links...very, very much. You helped save me precious time.

gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

Bumping and reposting links.

Please help...
American Red Cross(Select 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund)

Humane Society Katrina Relief Fund
...and for good measure, since he's still MIA!!!

The city has a huge population that lives below the poverty level and they desperately need any assistance you can spare. So many lives are permanently devastated by the death and destruction, so even if you can't give financial aid, be sure to throw in a pray for those on the Gulf Coast and The Big Easy.

kpk021

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kpk021

Hmm.. how about a BOC relief fund? Throw up a BOC woot for $10 each ($30 for the typical 3 craps purchase) and send the excess $9 in to one of the hurricane relief funds. I know I'd buy em and it might encourage others to donate that might not normally directly contact the various relief agencies.

If 1500 craps are sold, that'd be a decent $13,500 in donations. Anything helps I'm sure.

Zack2

acemom wrote:

Thats GREAT Acemom! May I add that if you can, donations made online, on your credit or debit card go through immediatly to the need, whereas checks, cash, etc. can take longer, and a part of them is used for hands moving the $. Red Cross & others have online donation sites (Redcross.org & others), please use them if convienient for you. Thanks
AND, remember, if you can only give $5.00, or $100,000.00, or anything in between
PLEASE DO....

acemom

OMG, Acedad just came home and gave me a wonderful gift.... a receipt for yet another $1000.00 to the Red Cross for Hurricane relief.
He's the most awesome man I've ever met.
The CNN coverage is bringing me to tears.

AlienResearchGrpHome

Message from Chancellor Birgeneau on the devastation resulting from Hurricane Katrina
To Berkeley faculty, staff, students, and alumni:

I join the entire UC Berkeley community in expressing my profound sympathy to the people of New Orleans, Louisiana and the coastal regions in Mississippi and other states who are struggling with the ongoing devastation from Hurricane Katrina. The scope of the disaster is still increasing and while we express our immediate concern, we are already planning to offer what expertise and aid our academic community can extend both now and in the coming weeks and months.

As I write this, campus leaders are actively engaged in finding an appropriate role for UC Berkeley in the relief effort. In Berkeley tradition, we are committed to fulfilling our responsibilities to public service.

To address immediate needs of food, water and shelter, I encourage all members of the UC Berkeley community to donate directly to one of the many humanitarian groups best equipped to provide for those affected by the disaster. A partial list of such agencies can be found at FEMA News

The enormity of the present disaster illustrates the real-world importance of the work we do here at Berkeley. As we did with the Tsunami relief efforts, we will be looking at ways in which we can bring our faculty expertise together to help the area that has been struck by this terrible natural disaster deal with the immediate problems that it faces and devise solutions for the future so that communities can be rebuilt.

Many here have deep personal and professional ties to the areas hit by Hurricane Katrina. About 70 UC Berkeley students are from the region and we are reaching out to them via e-mail and other means to offer moral support and determine the best way to assist them at this time. We are also working with universities in the region and through the Association of American Universities (AAU) to determine if we can provide any direct assistance to students, researchers and faculty at affected colleges and universities so they may continue their studies and research.

All of us here at UC Berkeley are deeply moved by the terrible toll of this disaster and the enormous tragedy of it. We pledge to do all we can to help the people of New Orleans and the entire region struck by Hurricane Katrina to recover in the days and months ahead.

Yours sincerely,

Robert J. Birgeneau
Chancellor

AlienResearchGrpHome

ignore this message, please

acemom

bump - because it's important

Mydogkickzass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mydogkickzass
 acemom wrote:
bump - because it's important

i agree

Remember me? Doubt it...If so, shoot me a PM ;)