FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
NeoLuddite wrote:"If a man does not have an ideal and try to live up to it, then he becomes a mean, base and sordid creature, no matter how successful."
Theodore Roosevelt, letter to his son Kermit, quoted Joseph Bucklin Bishop, 1915

I guess I'm a base and sordid creature...

Still single, can't imagine why.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
FenStar wrote:

I guess I'm a base and sordid creature...

At least you're not mean.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

NeoLuddite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NeoLuddite

"There are two things that I want you to make up your minds to: first, that you are going to have a good time as long as you live - I have no use for the sour-faced man - and next, that you are going to do something worthwhile, that you are going to work hard and do the things you set out to do."
Theodore Roosevelt
Talk to schoolchildren in Oyster Bay, Christmastime 1898

FenStar

NeoLuddite wrote:"There are two things that I want you to make up your minds to: first, that you are going to have a good time as long as you live - I have no use for the sour-faced man - and next, that you are going to do something worthwhile, that you are going to work hard and do the things you set out to do."
Theodore Roosevelt
Talk to schoolchildren in Oyster Bay, Christmastime 1898

Wish it was that simple...

NeoLuddite

FenStar wrote:

It is.

FenStar

NeoLuddite wrote:
It is.

Is it?

NeoLuddite

FenStar wrote:
Is it?

Yes, it is.

It's no one else's responsibility to make you happy or sad...only you can do that.
How you deal with a situation is a result of your attitude, not the situation.
I know multiple amputees who are thrilled with the fact that they wake up every morning, and millionaires who dread every day...
Life is not fair, but you've only got one to work with. Why not have a good time?

FenStar

NeoLuddite wrote:
Yes, it is.

It's no one else's responsibility to make you happy or sad...only you can do that.
How you deal with a situation is a result of your attitude, not the situation.
I know multiple amputees who are thrilled with the fact that they wake up every morning, and millionaires who dread every day...
Life is not fair, but you've only got one to work with. Why not have a good time?

I do not disagree with that, however I would say the amputees probblay have a burden they must overcome, you can't just say, poof! all there troubles go away. And the millionare is probblably a unhappy person, how can he ever hope to be happy?

FenStar

My problems are none other than my own, but they exisit regardless.
When you do not know where to go or how to get there, it is not impossible to reach your destination, but it is not easy either. Do not pitty me or make excuses, but do not tell me life is so simple. I hardly have any problems or setbacks, but my life is not all flowers and candy either, I do not wish to think how it would be for those who do have problems.

FenStar

FenStar wrote:My problems are none other than my own, but they exisit regardless.
When you do not know where to go or how to get there, it is not impossible to reach your destination, but it is not easy either. Do not pitty me or make excuses, but do not tell me life is so simple. I hardly have any problems or setbacks, but my life is not all flowers and candy either, I do not wish to think how it would be for those who do have problems.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
AlienResearchGrpHome wrote:
Please be a part of the cure.

Reprise

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
FenStar wrote:

were

FenStar

killingtime wrote:

were

It's a sentance fragment...

don'twantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote:

It's a sentance fragment...

Bump for the nonspelling english teacher!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

FenStar

don'twantaname wrote:

Bump for the nonspelling english teacher!

HI D'name!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote:

HI D'name!

Hi Fen!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

FenStar

don'twantaname wrote:

Hi Fen!

How are you?

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote:

How are you?

Just fine! Hope I'm still fine tonight, as in tomorrow night.
Hope I survive KT! Still think it is easier to get to the ferry from here than to get to the ferry from the cape!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

FenStar

don'twantaname wrote:

Just fine! Hope I'm still fine tonight, as in tomorrow night.
Hope I survive KT! Still think it is easier to get to the ferry from here than to get to the ferry from the cape!

did you see todays colbert report?

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote:

did you see todays colbert report?

No, missed the whole week. Never missed a whole week before.

See you tomorrow, going to sleep. Need to be well rested, just in case KT is nuts!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

Bump it up.

pooflady

And again.

AZGman

Just because . . .

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

Thanks Gman!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

AZGman

don'twantaname wrote:bump

Thanks Gman!

Always a pleasure . . . for that little guy!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AZGman wrote:

Always a pleasure . . . for that little guy!

he is so cute! How did this get to be the last thread on the first page? It was bumped a few hours ago!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Bump again

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

You guys need to stop running the threads!
Bump again!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

stlwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stlwooter
don'twantaname wrote:You guys need to stop running the threads!
Bump again!

What do you mean running. I'm sledding
Hope I don't hit a bump!

killingtime

LOL

Dork!!!

FenStar

FenStar wrote:

haveaheart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haveaheart

There is no such thing as normal. Normal is a setting on a washing machine.

killingtime

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

killingtime wrote:

Going to bed early bump!

KT stop running the threads, or at least bump this one back up when you are done.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

killingtime wrote:

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

melanies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melanies

http://www.deweydonationsystem.com/

Hurricane Katrina took out more than just New Orleans. Mississippi was hit particularly hard, and anybody who loves curling up in the bath with a paperback knows that paper and water don’t mix. After contacting the acquisitions department for the Harrison County Library, we learned just how bad it was — several libraries lost their entire collections.

Dewey to the rescue!

Your wonderful donations over the years have put an entire village of kids back to school after a Tsunami, stocked library shelves after wildfires, and helped a struggling library system gain nationwide attention, which helped them get their own government involved in allocating more funds to their acquisitions department. Your attention, word of mouth and kind gifts continue to enrich struggling communities, villages, states and nations. There’s a lot of power in one mouse click. Year after year, you’ve proven that with your generosity.

If this is your first time helping with a book drive, welcome. You’re a great person. If you’re one of the fantastic people who have helped in the past, welcome back. We need you again, and we love what you do. And whatever moisturizer you’re using is awesome, because your skin is super-glowy. Or that could be the philanthropy working its magic. Whatever it is, keep doing what you’re doing, baby, because you are beautiful.

===========

Your donations to the Harrison County Library System will help eight branches get their shelves restocked with lovely yummy books after being hit hard by hurricane Katrina. More info on each branch (some have yet to re-open) can be found on the HCLS Branches page and links to each branch’s wish list are on our How To Donate page.

A Letter from the Harrison County Library System

Greetings from the Harrison County Library System! We have been touched by your care and concern, and your offer of help. Before the storm, our system consisted of two larger libraries in Biloxi and Gulfport, along with six smaller locations. We have been left with 3 intact buildings and have spent the our time post- Katrina working to salvage and store what is left of our collections in the Biloxi, Gulfport, and D’Iberville libraries, and trying to re-establish library service at our surviving locations.

Our two largest libraries, Biloxi and Gulfport, were hard hit by tidal surge. As a result, we have lost major portions of the system’s collection. Gulfport Library, which also served as the system’s administrative headquarters, had everything on its first floor washed out of the building, including all of the shelving, furniture, and even the walls. All that was left on the first floor were the staircases and the support columns. The entire fiction, children’s, and audio-visual collections were lost. The fate of the building is still under discussion by city and county officials. The library may eventually be renovated, or we may be able to build a new library further away from the beachfront.

The Biloxi library had three feet of water on its first floor. Unfortunately the library’s entire collection was on that level and, as a result, everything from the third shelf down was destroyed. We salvaged as much of the local history and genealogy collection as possible, and sent it to a professional salvage and restoration company to see what could be restored. We are not sure yet on the time frame for restoration of the Biloxi library, but are estimating two years before we are able to reopen.

The Pass Christian Library was flooded, and all of its collection was destroyed. They are now operating using donated books out of a double wide trailer. The Division Street Children’s Station was also a complete loss. The D’Iberville library was somewhat luckier in that the library collection is intact, but is now in storage while the water and mildew damaged interior walls and ceiling are gutted and replaced. The repairs are just beginning, and are scheduled to be finished within three months. A considerable portion of our time and energy is being put into working with local government, insurance companies, and relief agencies to obtain the financial assistance needed to salvage and rebuild the destroyed locations.

Gulfport Library’s second floor housed the system’s administrative headquarters, including the system’s computer servers. Miraculously, we were able to salvage these computers and the administrative records, which allowed for a quicker return of library services. We have set up a makeshift headquarters at the Margaret Sherry Branch, which survived the storm relatively unscathed. Technical services and computer operations are now set up in the branch’s meeting and work rooms.

After the storm not a single book could be found at the Gulfport library’s first floor. The floor was covered with sand, and the one thing found other than debris was a small hummingbird that did not survive the storm. Outside of the Biloxi library, however, torn and shredded pages from books littered the streets. The Pass Christian library was used as a fallback point for the Pass Christian Police Department. When the department’s building began to fall apart, the police gathered their gear and headed to the library. The library then began to flood, and the police couldn’t get the doors to open due to water pressure. The library was built with hurricane proof glass, which is also bulletproof. Unable to shoot out any of the windows, the police had to rip out part of the ceiling to escape the building.

On a happier note, we are open to our patrons at the Margaret Sherry Branch, West Biloxi Branch, Orange Grove Branch, and Saucier Children’s library. It was such a wonderful feeling to see some of our regulars trooping through the doors! There has been a lot of hugging, storytelling, and even a few homemade brownies to spread around.

With [used] book donations, all items will be reviewed by a librarian as to content and condition, and then sent to the most appropriate location. Items that are not suitable for the libraries are usually sold at a book sale. If you would like for the items to go to one specific location, or would rather any books not used be distributed free to the community, please let us know. Monetary donations can be placed in a general fund for the system or applied towards a specific location or type of item. For example, you may want the funds to go towards purchasing children’s books for the Gulfport library. We will be happy to apply all funds according to your wishes.

It is extremely difficult to describe the aftermath of the storm, and the time and resources needed just to get people to a starting point where they can begin to rebuild their lives. We consider ourselves lucky in that, while many of the staff lost their homes and possessions, there were no serious injuries, and no loss of life in our library family. We are also lucky in that we do have a place to start from in rebuilding the system, and the care and support of so many. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at (228) 388-1633, or email me at s.davis@harrison.lib.ms.us.

Sharon Davis,
Harrison Country Library System

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

killingtime wrote:

Thanks for the new charity melanies!
Welcome! Post again!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

FenStar

FenStar wrote:

AZGman

FenStar wrote:

Smart idea.

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AZGman wrote:Up and at 'em!!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!