don'twantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Too far down. Up it goes!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AlienResearchGrpHome wrote:
Please be a part of the cure.

Got to bring the beautiful child with us!
I'll go find the big sister and fuzzy headed on too!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Families of SMA has partnered with GoodSearch.com to raise
money for FSMA. On Wednesday, April 5, 2006 we will be the featured charity of the day.

GoodSearch.com is a search engine, like Google. The site is powered by Yahoo!, so you'll get the same quality search
results that you're used to. What's unique is that they have
developed a way to direct money to FSMA with every click.

The more people who use this site, the more money will go to
research. If 1,500 people search only twice a day that will
equal over $10,000 a year for FSMA. Just from searching the
Internet. There is no limit.. the more searches, the larger
the donation.

So please spread the word to your friends and family. It doesn't
matter where you live - anyone can help!
GOODSEARCH
Put FSMA in the "I'm supporting" box and get clicking!!!
(Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy - National Office Libertyville)

Thanks,
Families of SMA
CureSMA.org

found them

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pblgov wrote:Did you know you can help by searching?????[/

And finally pblgov's charity

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov
don'twantaname wrote:
And finally pblgov's charity

thanks d'name

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

qwertyuiop001 wrote:

Here's a link to a list of charities on the give.org web site. They seem to be associated with the national Better Business Bureau somehow. Could be a useful tool for people who want to check out a charity before giving. If it's not some scam, you could post this link periodically, even though it doesn't have any pics of ARGH's family.

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

melanies wrote:http://www.deweydonationsystem.com/

Hurricane Katrina took out more than just New Orleans. Mississippi was hit particularly hard, and anybody who loves curling up in the bath with a paperback knows that paper and water don’t mix. After contacting the acquisitions department for the Harrison County Library, we learned just how bad it was — several libraries lost their entire collections.

Dewey to the rescue!

Your wonderful donations over the years have put an entire village of kids back to school after a Tsunami, stocked library shelves after wildfires, and helped a struggling library system gain nationwide attention, which helped them get their own government involved in allocating more funds to their acquisitions department. Your attention, word of mouth and kind gifts continue to enrich struggling communities, villages, states and nations. There’s a lot of power in one mouse click. Year after year, you’ve proven that with your generosity.

If this is your first time helping with a book drive, welcome. You’re a great person. If you’re one of the fantastic people who have helped in the past, welcome back. We need you again, and we love what you do. And whatever moisturizer you’re using is awesome, because your skin is super-glowy. Or that could be the philanthropy working its magic. Whatever it is, keep doing what you’re doing, baby, because you are beautiful.

===========

Your donations to the Harrison County Library System will help eight branches get their shelves restocked with lovely yummy books after being hit hard by hurricane Katrina. More info on each branch (some have yet to re-open) can be found on the HCLS Branches page and links to each branch’s wish list are on our How To Donate page.

A Letter from the Harrison County Library System

Greetings from the Harrison County Library System! We have been touched by your care and concern, and your offer of help. Before the storm, our system consisted of two larger libraries in Biloxi and Gulfport, along with six smaller locations. We have been left with 3 intact buildings and have spent the our time post- Katrina working to salvage and store what is left of our collections in the Biloxi, Gulfport, and D’Iberville libraries, and trying to re-establish library service at our surviving locations.

Our two largest libraries, Biloxi and Gulfport, were hard hit by tidal surge. As a result, we have lost major portions of the system’s collection. Gulfport Library, which also served as the system’s administrative headquarters, had everything on its first floor washed out of the building, including all of the shelving, furniture, and even the walls. All that was left on the first floor were the staircases and the support columns. The entire fiction, children’s, and audio-visual collections were lost. The fate of the building is still under discussion by city and county officials. The library may eventually be renovated, or we may be able to build a new library further away from the beachfront.

The Biloxi library had three feet of water on its first floor. Unfortunately the library’s entire collection was on that level and, as a result, everything from the third shelf down was destroyed. We salvaged as much of the local history and genealogy collection as possible, and sent it to a professional salvage and restoration company to see what could be restored. We are not sure yet on the time frame for restoration of the Biloxi library, but are estimating two years before we are able to reopen.

The Pass Christian Library was flooded, and all of its collection was destroyed. They are now operating using donated books out of a double wide trailer. The Division Street Children’s Station was also a complete loss. The D’Iberville library was somewhat luckier in that the library collection is intact, but is now in storage while the water and mildew damaged interior walls and ceiling are gutted and replaced. The repairs are just beginning, and are scheduled to be finished within three months. A considerable portion of our time and energy is being put into working with local government, insurance companies, and relief agencies to obtain the financial assistance needed to salvage and rebuild the destroyed locations.

Gulfport Library’s second floor housed the system’s administrative headquarters, including the system’s computer servers. Miraculously, we were able to salvage these computers and the administrative records, which allowed for a quicker return of library services. We have set up a makeshift headquarters at the Margaret Sherry Branch, which survived the storm relatively unscathed. Technical services and computer operations are now set up in the branch’s meeting and work rooms.

After the storm not a single book could be found at the Gulfport library’s first floor. The floor was covered with sand, and the one thing found other than debris was a small hummingbird that did not survive the storm. Outside of the Biloxi library, however, torn and shredded pages from books littered the streets. The Pass Christian library was used as a fallback point for the Pass Christian Police Department. When the department’s building began to fall apart, the police gathered their gear and headed to the library. The library then began to flood, and the police couldn’t get the doors to open due to water pressure. The library was built with hurricane proof glass, which is also bulletproof. Unable to shoot out any of the windows, the police had to rip out part of the ceiling to escape the building.

On a happier note, we are open to our patrons at the Margaret Sherry Branch, West Biloxi Branch, Orange Grove Branch, and Saucier Children’s library. It was such a wonderful feeling to see some of our regulars trooping through the doors! There has been a lot of hugging, storytelling, and even a few homemade brownies to spread around.

With [used] book donations, all items will be reviewed by a librarian as to content and condition, and then sent to the most appropriate location. Items that are not suitable for the libraries are usually sold at a book sale. If you would like for the items to go to one specific location, or would rather any books not used be distributed free to the community, please let us know. Monetary donations can be placed in a general fund for the system or applied towards a specific location or type of item. For example, you may want the funds to go towards purchasing children’s books for the Gulfport library. We will be happy to apply all funds according to your wishes.

It is extremely difficult to describe the aftermath of the storm, and the time and resources needed just to get people to a starting point where they can begin to rebuild their lives. We consider ourselves lucky in that, while many of the staff lost their homes and possessions, there were no serious injuries, and no loss of life in our library family. We are also lucky in that we do have a place to start from in rebuilding the system, and the care and support of so many. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at (228) 388-1633, or email me at s.davis@harrison.lib.ms.us.

Sharon Davis,
Harrison Country Library System

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pblgov

pblgov wrote:Did you know you can help by searching?????

Bump

pblgov

Did you know you can help by searching?????

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

again, because he is still so cute!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pblgov

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pblgov

bump

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Now that I'm back to my old self
bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pblgov

Bump

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

I'm feeling alien-abandonment . . .

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime

Nestle will donate 25¢ to City of Hope for each message you send to a child w/ cancer via their website

"With each virtual message of hope sent between May 1 and December 31, 2006, Nestle will donate $0.25 to the City of Hope with a guaranteed donation of $50,000."

"Send a message of hope to a kid with cancer on a virtual frozen pop stick. Each time you do, Nestle Ice Cream will donate 25 cents to the City of Hope and add another stick to the statue."

Just send a message. Your email address (or adding your friend's emails) isn't a requirement.

It is super-easy to do & it is kind of neat.

http://www.sticksofhope.com/

pblgov

Bump

stlwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stlwooter
killingtime wrote:Nestle will donate 25¢ to City of Hope for each message you send to a child w/ cancer via their website

"With each virtual message of hope sent between May 1 and December 31, 2006, Nestle will donate $0.25 to the City of Hope with a guaranteed donation of $50,000."

"Send a message of hope to a kid with cancer on a virtual frozen pop stick. Each time you do, Nestle Ice Cream will donate 25 cents to the City of Hope and add another stick to the statue."

Just send a message. Your email address (or adding your friend's emails) isn't a requirement.

It is super-easy to do & it is kind of neat.

http://www.sticksofhope.com/

I am always suspicious of these types of campaigns. Companies get more web hits because of them at least, and at most they increase their sales. Box tops for education is another good example of questionable marketing.

Here is a quick and probably very biased comment on Nestle http://www.babymilkaction.org/action/nspons.html

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Bump!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

stlwooter

As much as I like looking at the same cute kids and reading bump all of the time, how about we challenge ourselves. Every time someone writes a charity related comment with a new charity to see or commentary on another's post, we add $1 to a count. When it reaches $50, each person personally, on his or her own, without checking in on the others, donates up to $50 to a charity of his or her own choice. Each valid, non-child or bump post should just add a dollar to the running total.

$1

pblgov

Bump

$2.00

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Hey Alien! Get your alien butt back here!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pblgov

(thanks to Fen)

pblgov

pblgov wrote:

(thanks to Fen)

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

stlwooter

Doctors without Borders continues to send people into danger in order to provide medical care for those at risk and those who are under served medically. I am constantly inspired by them. Often they are one of the only aid organizations in a region.

$2 (add a dollar for each relevant post of the non-bump or cute picture variety. When total reaches $50 donate up to $50 to one of these causes or one of your own choosing. This way more charity actaully happens)

pblgov

stlwooter

$3

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Another bump, another dollar

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

stlwooter

don'twantaname wrote:Another bump, another dollar

I think dollars should only go to posts that add info. Cute pics and bumps are not helping me with charity. New ideas do.

Southern Poverty Law Center does many things. They help litigate for people who are targets of racism. they create excellent teaching materials, and they watch hate groups. You might not agree with all the things they do, but they are a pretty good group.

$4

pblgov

i'll add a dollar with a bump

$5

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

You guys do know that there is a link to a charity on those pictures? I post the pictures to keep the thread active. That is ARGH's nephew and the link is to the research org for the illness he has. Besides, he is beautiful and a lot of us like to see him.

People have posted here after love ones died in memorial. People have charities they give to and they should post them.

The picture with all the kids links to a search engine. You can pick the charity you want and it will get a small donation every time you do a search. You do not have to use the one that comes up on the link.

At least by keeping the thread on the page people might think about charities every day.

This was started by Woody1, adopted by Alien and somehow passed on to me. It has been kept on the first page for a year now. I don't know 365 different well run charities.

It is just easier to say bump.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Told Woody1 this thread was still going strong even though he had abandoned it. He said he'd look in on it if he gets the time. We'll see.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

OK, you guys want a charity.
www.thesmiletrain.org (if this link doesn't work I can't repair it because of my missing edit function.

Our Mission

No one knows how many millions of children there are in the world suffering from clefts.

No one knows how many lives will never be lived. How many children will never eat or speak properly, never go to school or hold a job. How many boys and girls will go through their entire life without ever being able to smile.

The greatest tragedy is that all of these children are suffering not because they were born with a cleft, but because they were born poor. Too poor to pay for a simple cure that has been around for decades.

Helping these children is the mission of The Smile Train. We help provide free cleft surgery and related treatment for children who would otherwise never receive it.

In as little as 45 minutes, and for as little as $250, we can help give these children not just a new smile — but a second chance at life.

With every cleft we repair, we restore a life.
With every doctor we train, we help a community take one more step toward self-sufficiency.
With every smile we deliver, we bring hope and dignity.

I like this charity because it is a one shot deal.
Also it has been listed as a charity that is very well run, you know the money is going to where they say.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Link didn't work. I'll try again

http://www.thesmiletrain.org/

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

don'twantaname

Volunteer Moderator

ARGH's nephew still has the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen!

Where have you been Alien? Time for a visit!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!