New
product(s):
1 Evesham Nav-Cam 7700 GPS with 3.5" Touchscreen, MP3 & Photo Viewer

Froogle Pricings: Lowest Price $199.99
Amazon Pricings: Lowest Price $289
PriceGrabber Pricings: Lowest Price $207

mychen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mychen

i have used one of these in the past. one of the advantages is that the battery life is really long, and so they'll definitely come in handy on cross-country roadtrips.

lueckemc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lueckemc

Does this one have hidden required "microtransactions" to add regional maps? I've seen some GPS nav systems that are really cheap at the store but cost much more when you have to buy regions of the U.S.

Also, are the maps and POIs updatable?

jonphamta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonphamta

autogol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autogol

"Bowie kissing Jagger"
eww.

Syrrys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Syrrys

If only I still drove as much as I used to....
Kinda still want one tho

awheintz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awheintz

I may be dense, this i admit, but why on earth do i want my nifty satellite nav thingy to play music?

mattlscc

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mattlscc

Touchscreen GPS... mouth waters... must click "I want one"

pekozpub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pekozpub

Why are these so popular? Do people really have that much trouble reading a map?

bmiller962

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmiller962

Good features for the price. Navteq are the same maps as Garmin, and Garmin is by far the best. A comparable Garmin would be nearly twice the price. Looks Good.

dj245

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dj245

I just got a Garmin Nuvi 350 today. This looks identical. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made in the same factory. The feature set is about the same, Garmin's extra things; tour POI's, and some other items are mostly pay-as-you go (bleh). Is this a good buy? Probably.

Don't expect the speakers to sound like much for MP3 playback.

klein103

quality posts: 6 Private Messages klein103

Product's website with info

http://www.evesham.com/navcam/cms/navcam7700us/overview.asp?e=D1DFB592-275C-4941-A76F-A96443608AA5

exsys

quality posts: 1 Private Messages exsys

I just received the Whistler GPS a few days ago that I bought during the wootoff and I love it but I would have loved to have saved $60 for basically the same thing. The Whistler GPS does not do MP3 or photos like this one. I have not used this unit but based on the Whistler unit at $219, this one is a good deal. Wish I bought a Samsung Q1 but I just did not want to release my grip on that much money.

greenie44

quality posts: 5 Private Messages greenie44

During a recent Tangthon, they had one of these (https://secure.tanga.com/products/456-Nav-Cam-7700). A bit more information on that blog. It was $10 cheaper, but only one person got to take advantage.

023Davis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 023Davis

my friend had a nav cam, worked great until it got stolen in Florida on spring break...

-TB and the Swassers- google them
eat our smurf

IronCook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IronCook
pekozpub wrote:Why are these so popular? Do people really have that much trouble reading a map?

They are fun and easy to use. Plus with a paper map you either have to pull over or have someone navigating for you, and I can't think of one person I could actually trust to read the map correctly.

dmoadab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmoadab

Can this run Tomtom?

xludexgenx5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xludexgenx5
pekozpub wrote:Why are these so popular? Do people really have that much trouble reading a map?

because if you miss an exit it will tell you how to get around it without delay because time is money and no point on wasting time reading a map.

binbo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages binbo

Looks good for the price, but I've never heard of Evesham. The name doesn't inspire confidence, especially if you shorten the name to something more manageable. "Hey, I'll just see where we're at on this 'sham GPS!" Also, some oversensitive types might take the name to be a denial of Original Sin.

gnarf

quality posts: 20 Private Messages gnarf

is it really that hard to use a map?

dj245

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dj245

[quote user="pekozpub"]Why are these so popular? Do people really have that much trouble reading a map?

I lived in New Haven, CT last summer. Thursday I am driving to Houston for the summer. In city traffic GPS navigation is a gigantic timesaver, and incredibly convenient if you are alone. If you have to make 15 turns in a city where all the blocks look the same and you haven't driven the route before, $150 is pretty cheap to be able to toss your google maps away and have a nice voice tell you when to turn.

golaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages golaw

Does this incororate SIRF III ?

fastfox

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fastfox

Does this thing do text-to-speech, i.e. speak the name of the street you turn on etc.?

kirax2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kirax2

YES! Awesome description! Patrick McGoohan kicks Daniel Craig's ASS, as far as I'm concerned.

I am not a number! I am a free man!

-kirax2 (Number 31)

xeromem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xeromem
bmiller962 wrote:Good features for the price. Navteq are the same maps as Garmin, and Garmin is by far the best. A comparable Garmin would be nearly twice the price. Looks Good.

Twice the price but also twice as fast. I have noticed that with these similar looking items, they dont calculate routes as fast, when you touch the screen, they are not as quick on the response and the screens don't seem to refresh as quickly. also I have noticed that they don't perform a re-route as quickly when you miss a turn or go off route. They get the job done, but Garmin seems to do it better and faster.

bryontx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryontx

I have owned one of these and ended up taking it back. It was not easy to use. Very frustrating and confusing at time. Took it back and bought a different brand. Would not recommend!

talonkarrde88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talonkarrde88

awheintz:

You don't want your GPS to play music. Neither do I; that's what my car's custom headunit and speakers are for. But most of the GPSes these days have it bundled in them; the best of them are essentially hyperexpensive iPods with a humongous screen - they do pictures, music, video, and - oh yeah, tell you how to get where you need to go.

If you just want a basic gps and you have a laptop, getting Streets and Trips is worth it: it comes with a GPS locator and S&T also gives audio direction.

...or show some skills and take out parts of your front current headunit/fan settings and install a computer in, complete with touchscreen LCD and roadrunner software.

Camoli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Camoli
fjbros wrote:Another GPS, anything special about this one? Does it work for thecave?

NO! If you're interested in Speleology, then I suggest you try a different technology...such as research and a paper map!

Hemo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hemo

I'm getting just so I can get a new icon color next to my name.

jessiebyrd004

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jessiebyrd004

useful linkage blog is updated with info on this woot... i like the idea of the touchscreen and the cam and whatnot... but not a fan of this brand... who has actual experience with this one?... lets hear it.

I do a daily woot blog where I talk about the woot, link to CSEs, find reviews, etc. A few people have told me it's useful. Google "useful linkage" and there it is.

deepspace12dotcom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deepspace12dotcom

Ohh, tonight I go to bed without reading a review, rating, and thoughts of a product one does not even own. Darn, I feel so left out.

My work truck comes with GPS and Navigation, so I have no need nor any comment on it, goodnight all.

daersun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daersun

Always wanted a GPS system for my car - Got one!

pirateguy191

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pirateguy191
kirax2 wrote:YES! Awesome description! Patrick McGoohan kicks Daniel Craig's ASS, as far as I'm concerned.

I am not a number! I am a free man!

-kirax2 (Number 31)

Nice Maiden quote!!!

CRWJumper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CRWJumper

This says it has a "car charger". Can you leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter so that it will work for lots of hours at a time, or will you have to shut it down and recharge it every 3 hours?

There's no crap like WOOT! crap .

americandan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages americandan

i have GPS on my cell phone (iPaq 6900) and while this would make it useless it's still a nicely priced, nifty thing to have when travelling or as a gift to my brother or something...

TotalFark

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TotalFark

My Roadmate just broke this week and the warranty was up a month ago .. could this be a sign?

I am in no way related to TotalFark.Com

DMBFreakNo41

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DMBFreakNo41

just the right price for me woot. i know some of these are spectacular, and some arnt, but this seems like it will get the job done without much hassle for me, and a great price. thanks woot!

sarahcourtney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sarahcourtney

I just bought a Garmin Nuvi two days ago...IT IS REALLY FAST!
Good night!

I'm a Wooter for life! Wait...I am also broke.....Oh well!