Kommie2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kommie2000
ShopliftinCWS wrote:

It should be set to 4800 baud, not 9600. Don't worry, 4800 is plenty fast.

Before you start TomTom, run the GPSViewer app on the desktop. Go to the Tracking tab and wait until you have Valid Position turns green. Once you have that click on the OK in the top right corner and then start TomTom. Go to Preferences and then GPS Status. Wait there until you have valid satellites. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two. You should only need to do that after a hard reset or if TomTom errors out, which mine has done on occasion. You might also need to select another GPS device and then re-select the Other NMEA GPS device.

francoamerican5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages francoamerican5

Randyoo, thanks so much for the information on your website. I was able to get a working version of TomTom on my Nav-Cam. Everyone is right, TomTom's software is much, MUCH better and easier to use. TomTom DOES do exact addresses rather than a dumb range like the built-in software that came with it. Now I would like to get the volume switch to work... Next project!

Woot! Items (Total All Sites: 72)
  • Proud Woot! member since: Feb 2006
  • Catbird

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Catbird

This may be a big mistake on my part, but I've decided to sell my NAV-CAM 7700 for the woot price I paid (plus shipping). It is still in mint condition just like the day I received it with box and all accessories.

If interested, please contact me at mrjcw1(AT)comcast(DOT)net.

Thanks.

randyoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randyoo
    francoamerican5 wrote:Randyoo, thanks so much for the information on your website. I was able to get a working version of TomTom on my Nav-Cam. Everyone is right, TomTom's software is much, MUCH better and easier to use. TomTom DOES do exact addresses rather than a dumb range like the built-in software that came with it. Now I would like to get the volume switch to work... Next project!

Hey, you're welcome!

I don't know if you noticed the update on my site, but we've found a way to get the volume working, and it's not terribly difficult. It involves launching LiteOnAP, more details on the install pages on my blog.

r81984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r81984
    aceattorney wrote: No, the toggle switch does not work in TomTom, but there is a volume slider in the TomTom software.

TomTom is so much better than the one that comes in the Nav-Cam. Far superior - and I even installed various celebrity-impersonated voices. Love the C-3P0 voice. ;)

The Volume swith works fine with tomtom. You just run the menu program first and then run tomtom with the navigation button in that program.

I have tomtom running on mine and use the volume switch on top.

Kommie2000

I found a way to have full volume without using the app first. There is a registry setting you need to change. Here it is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Volume]
    "Volume"=dword:FFFFFFFF
    "Screen"=dword:00000003
    "Key"=dword:00000002
    "Mute"=dword:00000007

The key to change is the Volume entry. Set it to all eight F's. This is full volume.

It does not enable the volume control though.

Peaty

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Peaty
    Kommie2000 wrote:I found a way to have full volume without using the app first. There is a registry setting you need to change. Here it is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Volume]
    "Volume"=dword:FFFFFFFF
    "Screen"=dword:00000003
    "Key"=dword:00000002
    "Mute"=dword:00000007

The key to change is the Volume entry. Set it to all eight F's. This is full volume.

It does not enable the volume control though.

That would be handy. To enable that can I just use randy's modified.reg and add your text above to the bottom of the reg file, save it then move it to the GPS , import then run? Is that how to get it enabled? Just want to be sure if the bottom after the local machine text is the proper place.

TIA

Peaty

150+ Woots and no signs of stopping...

BatteryMan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BatteryMan
    Peaty wrote:

That would be handy. To enable that can I just use randy's modified.reg and add your text above to the bottom of the reg file, save it then move it to the GPS , import then run? Is that how to get it enabled? Just want to be sure if the bottom after the local machine text is the proper place.

TIA

Peaty - Don't take this as a definite answer as I haven't opened Randy's in several days and don't have it handy, but based on my knowledge of .reg files in general, it shouldn't matter. As long as you start the entries with the correct bracketed line
    Example: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Volume]
    it won't matter where it goes in the file whatsoever. The sole exception being, if there was already the same key referenced in the file, the 2nd one would win.
    For example, if somebody else had the same [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Volume] entries with defferent values above, yours at the bottom would modify the first set of values. Other than that, any order you like should suffice.

Kommie2000

Peaty wrote:

TIA

Yes, you can add that to Randy's modified.reg file. That's what I did. I've also been playing with starting TomTom and the Evesham menu together but they don't like each other. I've got mine starting TomTom and the explorer.exe and that seems to work well.

brancusi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brancusi

Perhaps this thing works well in Great Britain and Europe, but I wouldn't recommend it for use in the US.; the maps are too limited, not recognizing many streets, not having certain blocks of other streets in the database. ( it can't find my property in New Orleans, nor my friends' home in San Diego). This device offers limited utility. Otherwise, it captures satellites quickly, gives good directions to towns and points of interest. The moral is, $300- $400 is the bottom of the market for auto navigation. Buy lower at your peril.

zeek69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeek69
    Peaty wrote:

I could not get Activesync to install on my PC. After checking around I discovered that the MAPI Server was interfering with the install. I was getting an error that the install of the active sync was interrupted try later (something to that effect). For me it turned out to be my Eudora e-mail app. In the options I had to go to the MAPI and select "Never" then I was able to install it. BTW there is a newer version on the Microsoft site it's 4.5 and it seemed to work fine with the GPS.

edit: this is for windows XP

I had found some info like that myself, but I don't use Eudora, will have to see if there is any way to turn that off in Outlook or Outlook Express. I had tried the 4.5 version also with no luck.

Kenneth Ross Etelamaki

Peaty

zeek69 wrote:

I had found some info like that myself, but I don't use Eudora, will have to see if there is any way to turn that off in Outlook or Outlook Express. I had tried the 4.5 version also with no luck.

When I searched for the problem, I used the whole phrase from the error box and I do remember seeing something regarding Outlook but since I only use Eudora I did not commit it to memory. Try a search maybe you can find how to correct the problem.

Peaty

zeek69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeek69
    r81984 wrote:

The Volume swith works fine with tomtom. You just run the menu program first and then run tomtom with the navigation button in that program.

I have tomtom running on mine and use the volume switch on top.

The easy way to get the menu program to run is to use the menu for everything. The way to do this is to copy the TomTom Navigator directory into the \MyFlashDisk\MobileNavigator directory. After that rename MobileNavigator to MobileNavigator_old, then rename TomTomNavigator to MobileNavigator. Then when you select Navigator from the main menu, it brings up TomTom. Easiest way to do the move is exploring to the Nav-Cam from an ActiveSync connection.

Zeek

Kenneth Ross Etelamaki

loubob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loubob

I waited until I had put the unit to work in several situations before I was ready to comment on it. I have a hand held Garmin which has very detailed maps and does a good job of tracking a trip, but provides no guidance. I have used Streets and Trips for long trips with multiple overnights. Streets and Trips is the best. Very detailed maps and loads of planning options and guidance. It's inexpensive, but a nightmare to setup physically (laptop, inverter, external screen, wireless mouse, etc.).
    I purchased and used the external antenna for the Nav-Cam. The unit does not provide great detail in mapping, but I don't believe that that is it's purpose. I find the Nav-Cam easy and quick to setup and use for guidance. I have planned long trips with it and also used it to find poi's from my current location. I have mapped to street address ranges specific places and am satisfied with it's performance. My only gripe is that the avoidance feature is almost useless.

hworang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hworang

does anyone know if the hack will work with the iguidance software???
    bought it to use for my blutooth gps on my axim, wondering if it will work for the evesham gps
    is it the same process as installing the tomtom software???
    any help would be greatly appreciated??

yoel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yoel
    rickblane wrote:will sell mine for the price I paid (plus I'll pay shipping to you).

rickblane@comporium.net

Post on the craigslist.com in your area. By evening will be gone!

caseyatbt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caseyatbt

I have the 6.03 version of TomTom and cannot locate the 6.0 version that works on this unit. Can anyone help out or direct me to where I can find it?
    pm me....

Peaty

caseyatbt wrote:I have the 6.03 version of TomTom and cannot locate the 6.0 version that works on this unit. Can anyone help out or direct me to where I can find it?
    pm me....

\
    check your PM...

Peaty

romito714

quality posts: 0 Private Messages romito714

i have a question and wondering if anyone could offer some input. i have north america maps and the total size of the files is 1.2 GB, the largest file is named faces.dat which is somewhere around 700 MB. dose this seem correct? i thought it was supposed to be under 1 GB total (small enough to fit on a 1GB card).

i'm thinking about copying this one large file to the internal memory of the 7700 and then the rest on to my 1GB memory card. will this work?

thanks for any input!

Warthogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Warthogs
    romito714 wrote:i have a question and wondering if anyone could offer some input. i have north america maps and the total size of the files is 1.2 GB, the largest file is named faces.dat which is somewhere around 700 MB. dose this seem correct? i thought it was supposed to be under 1 GB total (small enough to fit on a 1GB card).

i'm thinking about copying this one large file to the internal memory of the 7700 and then the rest on to my 1GB memory card. will this work?

thanks for any input!

A couple folks have had problems as to where files are - in the SDMMC folder or the MYFLASH (I think those were the names, but could be off a bit), which is probably an old DOS PATH+ typr problem. But in any case, they couldn't get it to work. Try t, and maybe it'll work for you, anyway.
    The Canada and USA maps are somewhere more in the range of 900+ M, so the maps and a very few voices, along with the program, all fit on a 1G card. Sounds like you may have something else mixed in, as the FACES.DAT doesn't ring a bell. Note that in many cases, the maps need an activation code at first run to work, but that may be only for PDA.

Warthogs

Warthogs wrote:
    A couple folks have had problems as to where files are - in the SDMMC folder or the MYFLASH (I think those were the names, but could be off a bit), which is probably an old DOS PATH+ typr problem. But in any case, they couldn't get it to work. Try t, and maybe it'll work for you, anyway.
    The Canada and USA maps are somewhere more in the range of 900+ M, so the maps and a very few voices, along with the program, all fit on a 1G card. Sounds like you may have something else mixed in, as the FACES.DAT doesn't ring a bell. Note that in many cases, the maps need an activation code at first run to work, but that may be only for PDA.

I meant PATH= type of problem. My bad.

jety13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jety13

Need help locating 6.0 version please. I've tried three different ones and cannot get it running. I've read all the posts and randy's blog. Help plz.

peterz78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peterz78

This GPS is one of the biggest pieces of crizznap, foo I have seen out there!
    This unit does not even know about half of the towns in the Northeast.
    I use several other brands that sell for less, MIO, Lowrance and Via Michelin
    and they all work much better than this.
    The hardware looks and feels good, the software is so in need of an update it is almost useless.
    I am not sure how a company can sell a product like this and stay in business.
    I bought 3, and boy am I happy:^)
    I would feel bad even to try to sell them to someone on EBAY for what I paid for them.
    I'll get off my soap box now.............

STRAINJAH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages STRAINJAH
    Peaty wrote:
    \
    check your PM...

Can someone please help me get tomtom navigator 6.00 mine is 6.03 also

ackerberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ackerberg

PeterZ78,
    Anytime you want to sell 1 of your 3 units that still works, let me know here and maybe we can make a deal, OK?
    Bob

05Edge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 05Edge

Is the Tom Tom version that you buy version 6.00?

Warthogs

ackerberg wrote:PeterZ78,
    Anytime you want to sell 1 of your 3 units that still works, let me know here and maybe we can make a deal, OK?
    Bob

Or deal for mine - works fine w/ original software and hack (removed).

Warthogs

05Edge wrote:Is the Tom Tom version that you buy version 6.00?

It appears 6.56x is the current version in stores.

ackerberg

Warthog,
    How much do you want for yours with the hack restored and working with sound, etc.

Warthogs

ackerberg wrote:Warthog,
    How much do you want for yours with the hack restored and working with sound, etc.

You can PM me at ragnotella at hotmail dot com.

ackerberg

I have a "copy" (I think) of TomTomv.6 in a zip file. When I look at it using Winzip I find 8 files with non-descript names and have no idea what is data and what is executable file. I can guess from the size of the file what it might be but I am really not certain. Can anyone help me sort out what these files are?

Warthog: I sent you an e-mail but it bounced back. Is the e-mail address you show correct or do you have a filter that is rejecting me?

05Edge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 05Edge
    Warthogs wrote:
    It appears 6.56x is the current version in stores.

Thanks, so from what I understand, that version will not work on the NAV CAM, right? If not, anyone want to buy one?

Warthogs

ackerberg wrote:I have a "copy" (I think) of TomTomv.6 in a zip file. When I look at it using Winzip I find 8 files with non-descript names and have no idea what is data and what is executable file. I can guess from the size of the file what it might be but I am really not certain. Can anyone help me sort out what these files are?

Warthog: I sent you an e-mail but it bounced back. Is the e-mail address you show correct or do you have a filter that is rejecting me?

I've replied to you in PM.
    As for the files, the data and executables are pretty obvious, so I don't know just what you may have. As I recall, there were:
    MobileNavigator.exe, navigator.cfg, ttmobile.bif, data.chk, and CurrentMap.dat, along with folders for Zips, Voices, USA and Canada.vxxx.xxxx, Contacts, logging, and itn (the last three were empty).
    I bought a new TomTom One for my own use, and the newer versions apparently use different files, etc.

ackerberg

Peaty,
    Did you see my comments above? The TomTom zipfile I have doesn't seem to have the right files. Do you know anything about this?
    TIA

cantucan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cantucan

Still original, opened, used about 1 hour, not hacked. I think I'm going to get a Nuvi since the prices have come down.

cantucan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cantucan
    cantucan wrote:Still original, opened, used about 1 hour, not hacked. I think I'm going to get a Nuvi since the prices have come down.

I meant to preceed this with: Anyone want to buy my NavCam?

ackerberg

Hi Cantucan:
    How much do you want for the unit?

ackerberg(at)att(dot)net

uncledave13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uncledave13

Very easy to use... excellent visual quality

I wish the sound was a little louder....

$158.00 for the Nav-Cam
    $5.00 for shipping
    Navigating everywhere with ease.....WOOTLESS!

dwellingmonkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwellingmonkey
    ackerberg wrote:Hi Cantucan:
    How much do you want for the unit?

ackerberg(at)att(dot)net

Are you interested in purchasing my unit? I decided that I don't need it.

ackerberg

What price are you asking for your unit?

ackerberg@att.net