devcon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages devcon

Think I'll stick with my Nuvi 360. It has the same map set as the Garmin (Navteq)but Garmin has a great interface, the maps are actually loaded into the unit (no card to lose), it's got a bluetooth speaker phone, longer battery life, SiRF Star III receiver (super fast lock on) and last but not least, Garmin has some pretty good support in terms of providing updates and such. Oh yeah...I can load a little red monster truck icon on it that looks like my truck (what a reason, eh). Can't say I've ever heard of Evesham.

kuoh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kuoh

No, people are just tired of wasting 5 minutes finding a new address using a map and then wasting another 5 minutes asking for more detailed directions at a gas station, when they can just spend 30 seconds and punch in any address in the country and simply get there.

Using a GPS doesn't automatically translate to an inability to read a map. Paper maps were good for what they were, but why knock better technology or the people who choose to make use of them? You might as well say, why is keyless entry so popular? Do people really have that much trouble turning a key in the door lock?

Personally, I'm inclined to believe people who keep coming in to GPS threads to tout their superior map reading abilities rarely do any traveling outside of their local comfort zone. Drop them in a different city, or even a different part of a large city with just a map and an address, and they'll quickly realize how useful a GPS can be.

KuoH

pekozpub wrote:Why are these so popular? Do people really have that much trouble reading a map?

unusualbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unusualbob
CRWJumper wrote:This says it has a "car charger". Can you leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter so that it will work for lots of hours at a time, or will you have to shut it down and recharge it every 3 hours?

You can leave it plugged in

...woot?

redbarchetta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages redbarchetta

Amazon link!

107 unique Woots since 3/9/2006
202 Total Woots

vegasn2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vegasn2001
pekozpub wrote:Why are these so popular? Do people really have that much trouble reading a map?

maps are an outdated technology. plus they are out of date before they print.

roots4x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roots4x

Obviously, you've never used a GPS before. Not only does it give you instructions on where to go, it can find any address for you anywhere, including points of interest. Can a paper map tell you where 3240 Santa Monica Blvd is exactly and then tell you where to go without having to look away from the street?

Anyways. It is very useful and if you're still using paper maps, you should pick one up now from woot!

alfa1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages alfa1
vegasn2001 wrote:

maps are an outdated technology. plus they are out of date before they print.

how much does`it cost to upgrade a map for this thing?

• woot

yoel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yoel

But if this one is good?

KingWiley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KingWiley

Breakdown:

Touch screen is very nice, we have only begun to see this on GPS models lately, and it's very convenient for automotive use.

3.5" screen isn't that big, but it's plenty for a GPS system.

Pre-installed maps don't give a whole lot to it, but are nice to have just in case.

Mp3/photo capablity with SD card is pretty good, you can always listen to your mp3's if you're stranded alone with this thing. Not sure if you'll really ever use it for this (You bought it for the GPS, not the music), but it's there just in case.

Froogled it and the closest competitor was $200. Not a bad price.

Good that it's new and not a refurbish, but you better hope it comes with a manual, or you'll have to get the online version (if it exists), or fiddle with it for days figuring it out.

All in all, not bad, I'd say 8 out of 10.

unusualbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unusualbob

They ARE maps, just upgraded with routes plotted on them and a voice to read the directions for you.

These are just quicker to use and work great for people who drive to unfamiliar locations commonly. I have one because I am an IT technician and I don't always know where the customer's business is. I just plug in the address and I have a route in just a few seconds.

These are also great for finding restaurants and gas stations quickly if you don't know the area. I just moved to a new city and this helped me learn where the nearest grocery store and things were around my house.

**FYI. These don't always land you in the exact spot you want to be because it estimates where the street number is by mathematical formula, so you still must rely on some common sense.

...woot?

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
awheintz wrote:I may be dense, this i admit, but why on earth do i want my nifty satellite nav thingy to play music?

People that travel on business are big fans of GPS navigation systems...it's nice to know how to get somewhere in a foreign town. People that travel on business also like portable music players to listen to on the airplane. People that travel on business don't like having to bring a lot of things with them on the trip. If you can have a GPS navigation system that fits in your pocket and also plays music, there's one less device/charger that you have to take with you. If you don't have a use for the mp3 capability, then don't use it. It's all about whatever works for you.

I have a small Windows Smartphone that does GPS voice navigation (and plays music), though I also have to carry a tiny bluetooth GPS unit too. The software cost me $99 and the bluetooth GPS cost me $45, so this unit is nearly the same price.

This seems like a pretty good deal to me; I'm considering buying one for my parents. The problem is that they'd probably never figure out how it works.

traderjohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages traderjohn

Get the Garmin Nuvi or one that have text to speech. It is extremely useful in unfamilar area at night in particular. It is like having night vision in darkness. Anyway, who would carry the map of every city and suburb in California anyway?

candelabra

quality posts: 2 Private Messages candelabra

Eve sham? Eve, loss of innocence, sham, well you know...

scuac

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scuac

1) Does this work in Europe (could I load maps of Europe using an SD card?)
2) Is there a monthly fee for this thing to keep running or is it a one time pay?

steinhof

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steinhof

Got the Whistler GPS a couple of weeks ago. I love it, but would have preferred to save the money and get this one... If you've never navigated to a strange place via GPS, you don't know what you're missing.

paulhtck

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paulhtck

Why, any fool can read a map! Which explains why so many map readers don't understand the usefulness of GPS receivers, even after it's been explained to them countless times.

guy2watch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guy2watch

Well I'm temted enough to get this one yet I'll check with one of my friend who has good knowledge about these GPS's... meanwhile I found this if, this helps anyone :

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=272962&sourceid=2004

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=709

Have Fun ...

Hammerofthegods

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammerofthegods
mychen wrote:i have used one of these in the past. one of the advantages is that the battery life is really long, and so they'll definitely come in handy on cross-country roadtrips.

Really? With a very generous three hour battery life, just how far are you going to get? Within three hours of my house? Don't need a GPS for that.........

kuoh

Lol...that's a good one!

KuoH

paulhtck wrote:Why, any fool can read a map! Which explains why so many map readers don't understand the usefulness of GPS receivers, even after it's been explained to them countless times.

Camoli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Camoli
roots4x wrote:

Obviously, you've never used a GPS before. Not only does it give you instructions on where to go, it can find any address for you anywhere, including points of interest. Can a paper map tell you where 3240 Santa Monica Blvd is exactly and then tell you where to go without having to look away from the street?

Anyways. It is very useful and if you're still using paper maps, you should pick one up now from woot!

Tend to disagree. The GPS unit is only as good as the updated software like hardcopy maps. Not a fair comparison particulary with new streets... The newer versions have voice recognition. So, when you say: "3240 Santa Monica Blvd" you're all set just as long you key in the city/state/country code. If you can only read a hard copy map when only going North, then this a special deal for YOU.

fightclub

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fightclub

can i add my own maps? like can i get more maps and them put them on the SD card? or are the maps built in good enough for all of America? thanks

ABAGINOONGMARIA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ABAGINOONGMARIA

is it really that hard to use a map?

You will never know what you are missing unless you own one.

Trust me, I run a delivery service.

fjc6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fjc6

I get lost extremely easily. I have wanted one of these for a while, and this looks to be a great deal.

This is my first woot!

...w00t!

fastfox

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fastfox

Manufacturer's product site. It doesn't do text-to-speech for road names but does voice highway numbers.

http://www.evesham.com/navcam/default.asp?e=D1DFB592-275C-4941-A76F-A96443608AA5

kuoh

You keep it plugged in to your car when you're driving. The battery is for when you need to use it away from the car. Duh! You go for three hour walks much?

KuoH

Hammerofthegods wrote:With a very generous three hour battery life, just how far are you going to get? Within three hours of my house? Don't need a GPS for that.........

meanska

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meanska

Looks like it only navigates to zip codes, not door to door (check the description). Also, saw a comment from a user online (was searching) who confirms you can't enter a specific address, only a zip code. Why would ANYONE put together a GPS that does only that?

Kantany

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kantany

I'm in for one.
Looked around and this one looks like the best you can get for the price range.

A good review on it
http://www.epinions.com/content_329006157444

CHeifer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CHeifer
meanska wrote:Looks like it only navigates to zip codes, not door to door (check the description). Also, saw a comment from a user online (was searching) who confirms you can't enter a specific address, only a zip code. Why would ANYONE put together a GPS that does only that?

Look under features...it does door-to-door

Hammerofthegods

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammerofthegods
kuoh wrote:

You keep it plugged in to your car when you're driving. The battery is for when you need to use it away from the car. Duh! You go for three hour walks much?

KuoH

Away from the car??? Do you need GPS when you go for a walk??? Maybe on the plane just in case your captain has no idea where he is going? And with a lot of these Li ion batteries, leaving them plugged in while using them can cause them to get very hot. Spend a few extra bucks and get a better unit......

schrody

quality posts: 8 Private Messages schrody
kirax2 wrote:YES! Awesome description! Patrick McGoohan kicks Daniel Craig's ASS, as far as I'm concerned.

I am not a number! I am a free man!

-kirax2 (Number 31)

Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed

Be seeing you.

No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

www.gpspassion.com
Lots of happy campers,Tom Tom 6 hackable.An excellent woot!

lateniter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lateniter

I got one off woot a while ago just as a "backup" since I'm very map, mapquest, google maps, etc capable.

Holy moly. I can honestly say that I have *never* made a better investment.

A) it ALWAYS gets me there.
B) NO STRESS. I'm not trying to read my directions in a strange place and watch the road. Nor am I trying to look out for strange or unknown landmarks. Ask my wife!
C) Wrong turn? No problem. Never back track, it just re-routes on the fly. I was late for a movie with my family and hit a 5 mile traffic jam. I just pulled off the nearest exit and it completely routed me on the back roads. We got there in time.
D) I was at home depot in a different state and I needed something didn't have. I just typed in "home depot" and the nearest 5 came up WITH their phone numbers so I could call first. Or, just feeling like a Starbucks or dinner that the Cheesecake Factory and you are Out of Town. No problem - it there's one around, it will show you how to get to it.

So... I still carry and Atlas in the car. But I never bother to mapquest or anything before hand.

MikeyBWindsurfer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikeyBWindsurfer

Woot Prob..

Hey Guys, Perhaps you can help. I ordered one for myself, then went back to try and order another for a friend, and woot won't let me make a second order, or update my order to two. Any help or suggestions?

Tks in advance

barrooze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrooze

I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 350. How does this compare to it? More/less reliable, basically the same thing, etc?

Thanks.

VTC32amg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages VTC32amg

Great Buy, Get it before it's SOLD OUT. This is the most user friendly GPS with a camera built in. In-case of a minor car accident where you could take insurance pictures for proof.. or if you just want to take spy pictures of your hot blonde haired Russian neighbor, but you'd have to be careful, don't take my advise you might get arrested.

Woot'n in Nuku'alfoa.

barrooze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barrooze
lateniter wrote:

I got one off woot a while ago just as a "backup" since I'm very map, mapquest, google maps, etc capable.

Holy moly. I can honestly say that I have *never* made a better investment.

A) it ALWAYS gets me there.
B) NO STRESS. I'm not trying to read my directions in a strange place and watch the road. Nor am I trying to look out for strange or unknown landmarks. Ask my wife!
C) Wrong turn? No problem. Never back track, it just re-routes on the fly. I was late for a movie with my family and hit a 5 mile traffic jam. I just pulled off the nearest exit and it completely routed me on the back roads. We got there in time.
D) I was at home depot in a different state and I needed something didn't have. I just typed in "home depot" and the nearest 5 came up WITH their phone numbers so I could call first. Or, just feeling like a Starbucks or dinner that the Cheesecake Factory and you are Out of Town. No problem - it there's one around, it will show you how to get to it.

So... I still carry and Atlas in the car. But I never bother to mapquest or anything before hand.

What brand and model do you have?

lateniter

Hammerofthegods wrote:
Away from the car??? Do you need GPS when you go for a walk??? Maybe on the plane just in case your captain has no idea where he is going? .

My daughter and I pulled into Bethesda, Maryland at 1 am 3 weeks ago. She was hungry. The hotel lot was FULL and cars were hunting for spots, so we didn't want to move the car. So, I just looked up the nearest Mcdonalds or Dunkin Donuts, got the fact that DD was only a mile away and we walked cross town to it at 2 am. Wouldnt have found it otherwise.

As to in the plane? Funny thing: I took mine out on a flight to california last year. It *could NOT* find a road and had NO Clue where we were...it kept saying "go to the nearest road".

However, I DO KNOW that we were traveling at 472 miles pe hour!

lateniter

barrooze wrote:

What brand and model do you have?

Navman ICN 530 Love it. I started on the 330 here from woot and upgraded. My daughter has the 330 now.

fightclub

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fightclub

bought one... thanks woot

misha227

quality posts: 0 Private Messages misha227
binbo wrote:Looks good for the price, but I've never heard of Evesham. The name doesn't inspire confidence, especially if you shorten the name to something more manageable. "Hey, I'll just see where we're at on this 'sham GPS!" Also, some oversensitive types might take the name to be a denial of Original Sin.

Or that the Original Sin was not eating the apple but rather pork products (Eve's Ham) ;-)

I'm moving to a different state this summer, and I just boughta low-end Garmin, so no woot for me tonight. But my slingbox is in transit (fingers crossed).