kuoh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kuoh

The Garmin is better, but also more expensive. The traffic alert would be one of the useful features to have if you live in a large congested city.

KuoH

barrooze wrote:I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 350. How does this compare to it? More/less reliable, basically the same thing, etc?

liammc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages liammc

Can this do video? If so which formats? Can not seem to find much information about it.

The tree leaves are dead.

Insouciant

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Insouciant

Ok, went to the manufacture site (two links in early comments). "Registered" fake info, serial number of "1". Was then allowed to "Download". So, here is the User's Guide and "Quick Start". They are interesting, but I hope there's more info on the CD.

(https links MIGHT not work for others depending upon cookies, etc. If not, sorry, I tried to share.)

Nav-Cam 7700 User Guide
pdf, , posted 06/12/2006 14:42:50
https://www.evesham.com/navcam/secure/downloads/downloadmod.asp?e=C674C62F-2F66-4E26-90A7-C9CD6B2351F0

Nav-Cam 7700 Quick Start Guide
pdf, , posted 06/12/2006 14:43:22
https://www.evesham.com/navcam/secure/downloads/downloadmod.asp?e=5CAE492D-7F11-4501-8F62-6C22F570E31C

no real mention of USB cable and if you can (easily) update the on-board 1GB flash memory. Seems that the SD card is only for photos/MP3s... MAYBE can load an extra PointOfInterest database on the SD card?! (mentioned in a review, but NOT in the manual.) Manual does say "door to door" and "text to speech of street names when giving voice directions" implied. EDIT - but manufacturer sourced material DOES NOT confirm the street names. (some other 3rd party stuff does but I don't necessarily trust the sources.)

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - Those who understand Binary and those who don't.

unusualbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unusualbob
Hammerofthegods wrote:
You keep it plugged in to your car when you're driving. The battery is for when you need to use it away from the car. Duh! You go for three hour walks much?

KuoH

Away from the car??? Do you need GPS when you go for a walk??? Maybe on the plane just in case your captain has no idea where he is going? And with a lot of these Li ion batteries, leaving them plugged in while using them can cause them to get very hot. Spend a few extra bucks and get a better unit......

Some people bike for long distances, and most of them don't tote around a car battery.

...woot?

americandan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages americandan

i just bought 2... why? i don't know..

unusualbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unusualbob
lateniter wrote:

My daughter and I pulled into Bethesda, Maryland at 1 am 3 weeks ago. She was hungry. The hotel lot was FULL and cars were hunting for spots, so we didn't want to move the car. So, I just looked up the nearest Mcdonalds or Dunkin Donuts, got the fact that DD was only a mile away and we walked cross town to it at 2 am. Wouldnt have found it otherwise.

As to in the plane? Funny thing: I took mine out on a flight to california last year. It *could NOT* find a road and had NO Clue where we were...it kept saying "go to the nearest road".

However, I DO KNOW that we were traveling at 472 miles pe hour!

Due to the speed of the flight, you were moving past every road it knew too fast for it to calculate your route.

...woot?

nikknaack1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikknaack1

meh... couldn't help myself. I'm in for one. Now I just need to fix this little problem of purchasing things which I really can't afford.

Thanks woot for sucking me dry of my money.

damnhawk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damnhawk

go ebay fujitsu tablet pc, and find one thats bundled with MS S&T. about 200 dollars for it and its an absoulty huge 10 inch screen!

nick8624

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nick8624

Ok, I thought I take a moment out of my life and help you guys out with no bias information.

Centrality Atlas II has 24 channels although it can only track 16 channels in parallel and can aquire signals as low as -157dBm

Sirf StarIII has 20 channels although it can only track 12 channels in parallel and can acquire signals as low as -159dBm

In theory, the Sirf StarIII is more sensitive than the Centrality Atlas II by 2dBm. The number of channels means how many "connections" it can utilize to gather GPS information from Satellites.

Most people prefer to buy on brand such as Garmin or TomTom. There are some pros and cons with brand such as tech support, firmware updates, features and craftsmanship but companies such as Garmin and TomTom utilize the same technology to gather information from satellites.

The speed of which it collects data is determined by the processor and signal, NOT BY BRAND. If you are wondering how it compares to the Sirf Star III, it's pretty much similar in speed. Think of it like an Intel vs AMD processor. Intel may have higher speed in hz (SIRF -159dBm) however AMD can support more pipelines (Centrality 16 parallel channels) which make it at comparable speeds. [Somehow I believe i'm going to get flammed on with this analogy]

If you are worried that this will not give you proper directions, dont worry, it will. You might not get the same tech support or features as if you were to buy a Garmin GPS but for $159.99 + $5, this is a great price for GPS.

What you should worry about is the craftsman ship of the device itself. But like I said, $159.99 is a bargin.

liammc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages liammc
Insouciant wrote:Ok, went to the manufacture site (two links in early comments). "Registered" fake info, serial number of "1". Was then allowed to "Download". So, here is the User's Guide and "Quick Start". They are interesting, but I hope there's more info on the CD.

(https links MIGHT not work for others depending upon cookies, etc. If not, sorry, I tried to share.)

Nav-Cam 7700 User Guide
https://www.evesham.com/navcam/secure/downloads/downloadmod.asp?e=C674C62F-2F66-4E26-90A7-C9CD6B2351F0

https://www.evesham.com/navcam/secure/downloads/downloadmod.asp?e=5CAE492D-7F11-4501-8F62-6C22F570E31C

no real mention of USB cable and if you can (easily) update the on-board 1GB flash memory. Seems that the SD card is only for photos/MP3s... MAYBE can load an extra PointOfInterest database on the SD card?! (mentioned in a review, but NOT in the manual.) Manual does say "door to door" and "text to speech of street names when giving voice directions" implied.

The price and features make me want to buy. And TY for the links. The security of their site make me wonder.

The tree leaves are dead.

blastokid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blastokid
unusualbob wrote:

Some people bike for long distances, and most of them don't tote around a car battery.

How many do? o_O

ackmondual

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ackmondual
scuac wrote:1) Does this work in Europe (could I load maps of Europe using an SD card?)
2) Is there a monthly fee for this thing to keep running or is it a one time pay?

1) many GPS devices allow you to load maps of other countries despite the maps of home countries being built in or included. May wanna check the Evesham site to see if it has the part of Europe u want, and if it costs anything extra

2) the fees for GPS include but not limited to:
-optional updates for maps ($20 to $100? Dunno, prices vary)
-monthly/yearly fee if your GPS also sends signals, which I doubt this lower end/simpler GPS does. It appears it only receives signals, so no cost there.
-for optional "real time info" which this does not even appear to be an option to consider. E.g. it would route around a normally fast route since there's heavy traffic there due to a car accident, or around a whole district b/c there's a riot/parade going on there.

marriage is the price men pay for sex
sex is the price women pay for marriage

eberin

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eberin

This uses NavTec maps - from my experience with a Tom Tom 4-based system (Palm Zire 72) and a Mio C310x (returned 1 week after use in Hawaii), these are marginal maps for accuracy.

The NavTec maps (on the Mio C310x) have significant errors (e.g. missing major tourist destinations such as Pearl Harbor land-based memorial) - since this uses the same maps, it can be assumed to have the same errors.

I agree with some folks - it's probably a good enough buy for the money. But don't believe your sub $200 GPS is on a par with a reputable $500+ GPS system - most likely it is not.

Springles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Springles

This is so tempting but I am a little worried about this not being a name brand and therefore falling apart after a month. I'd love to hear from more people that have actually used this GPS.

alowicious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alowicious

Seems like a decent price. Hope it is worth it.

Insouciant

Hmm, conflicting info from buy.com?, Amazon.com?, and Evesham as to whether this DOES announce STREET NAME as well as the Highway Numbers. Some places said so, but I can't find anything from manufacture (or downloaded manuals such limited as they are) to confirm it.

A few reviews mention that it "extrapolates" the street number -- so if you are in a place like I live with MANY "re-numbering and multiple numbering" of the same road as it goes through municipalities with many breaks and jumps of 1000s in the numbers from one block to the next, this may be no good. I fyou live in a place where the streets are continuous and straight and numbered linearly evenly and regularly, it may not matter.

Can't MANIPULATE the MP3 player while navigating. That is, you can listen to a playlist while navigating, but not skip to the next song, "rewind", etc.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - Those who understand Binary and those who don't.

seneca ripple

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seneca ripple

pulled the trigger. now have 4 gps. cant get lost now!

adster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adster

Woot, it's not a "desert island." You would be hard pressed to find an island in the desert. The proper phrase is deserted island.

greenngld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenngld

I use a Garmin c330 and love it. It isn't perfect...it once told me to make a right turn....directly into the Mississippi River. Advice which I ignored, but it is a nice unit overall that saves me time and problems.

So I ordered one of these for the wife. Hell, I don't care if she gets lost anyway.

agent1atl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages agent1atl

When I pass a turn on my Garmin 360 it says "rerouting"

This ones says "You fool! You missed your turn go back!!"

Agent1

sniz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sniz
talonkarrde88 wrote:awheintz:

You don't want your GPS to play music. Neither do I; that's what my car's custom headunit and speakers are for. But most of the GPSes these days have it bundled in them; the best of them are essentially hyperexpensive iPods with a humongous screen - they do pictures, music, video, and - oh yeah, tell you how to get where you need to go.

If you just want a basic gps and you have a laptop, getting Streets and Trips is worth it: it comes with a GPS locator and S&T also gives audio direction.

...or show some skills and take out parts of your front current headunit/fan settings and install a computer in, complete with touchscreen LCD and roadrunner software.

Why not? I have a nuvi 350 and obviously don't need it 100% of the time (I've memorized the route I take to work every day) so I plug a 6" cable into the line-in on the front of my custom head unit and play mp3's through the custom amplifiers and custom speakers that I customly installed myself to show my skills

greenngld

agent1atl wrote:When I pass a turn on my Garmin 360 it says "rerouting"

This ones says "You fool! You missed your turn go back!!"

Agent1

Hopefully you use the British accent girl on your Garmin. She's hot.

But keep your hands off, she is mine. I've spent many long hours talking to the lady in the box. Sometimes she tells me what to do and I say "Yes dear", other times I ignore her, but alas, she just tells me a new order in a few seconds. Just like my wife.

kuoh

I don't think the 4 extra channels help with the time to acquire a fix. Currently, a ground based GPS receiver can only see about 10 to 12 satellites max at any one time, usually less due to the number of satellites in operation and terrain obstructions. The higher sensitivity of the Sirf on the other hand, will help in acquiring and maintaining a lock under difficult situations. Most GPS receivers have cold start times of well under a minute and nearly instantaneous warm start times, so the extra channels won't help much. Especially when those channels are unused because there aren't enough satellites up yet.

KuoH

nick8624 wrote:The speed of which it collects data is determined by the processor and signal, NOT BY BRAND. If you are wondering how it compares to the Sirf Star III, it's pretty much similar in speed. Think of it like an Intel vs AMD processor. Intel may have higher speed in hz (SIRF -159dBm) however AMD can support more pipelines (Centrality 16 parallel channels) which make it at comparable speeds.

kuoh

True, it is rather annoying to have to give all that information just to download a user manual.

KuoH

liammc wrote:The price and features make me want to buy. And TY for the links. The security of their site make me wonder.

dvw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dvw
roots4x wrote:

Can a paper map tell you where 3240 Santa Monica Blvd is exactly

Or that there's a decent little Sushi restaurant two blocks over on Wilshire?

fightclub

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fightclub
Insouciant wrote:Ok, went to the manufacture site (two links in early comments). "Registered" fake info, serial number of "1". Was then allowed to "Download". So, here is the User's Guide and "Quick Start". They are interesting, but I hope there's more info on the CD.

Nav-Cam 7700 User Guide

no real mention of USB cable and if you can (easily) update the on-board 1GB flash memory. Seems that the SD card is only for photos/MP3s... MAYBE can load an extra PointOfInterest database on the SD card?! (mentioned in a review, but NOT in the manual.) Manual does say "door to door" and "text to speech of street names when giving voice directions" implied. EDIT - but manufacturer sourced material DOES NOT confirm the street names. (some other 3rd party stuff does but I don't necessarily trust the sources.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858711001

heres some good pics of it from all angles... USB included

Anandpv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anandpv

I just bought my first GPS. Hope it worth for the money.

Insouciant

Yes, Buy.com and Newegg have good pictures.

Still wondering if the USB will access the internal memory or just the SD memory. I'd be interested in more detailed maps and/or a more refined street numbering.

I can't find more info at the GPSPassion.com site on hacking the unit with/to TomTom6? Any more info?

kuoh

As far as I know, they all calculate street numbers, but some manufacturers are more up to date with changes, and also more expensive. Re-numberings are usually done to make the streets more consistent, not less. Still, even if the numbers aren't exactly right, it should still get you close enough to navigate the rest of the way on your own. If that's not good enough, then you may want to consider hiring a chauffeur.

KuoH

Insouciant wrote:A few reviews mention that it "extrapolates" the street number -- so if you are in a place like I live with MANY "re-numbering and multiple numbering" of the same road as it goes through municipalities with many breaks and jumps of 1000s in the numbers from one block to the next, this may be no good.

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
unusualbob wrote:

Very true. And those 0.01% of Woot! customers that bike for long distances probably should not buy this item.

omghax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages omghax

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=74155&SearchTerms=,Evesham
Intreting, memory card can be hacked to use tomtom!

greenngld

Springles wrote:This is so tempting but I am a little worried about this not being a name brand and therefore falling apart after a month. I'd love to hear from more people that have actually used this GPS.

From their website

For over 23 years Evesham have been at the forefront of providing the latest technology for the home at the best value. As a major UK based computer manufacturer, the Evesham name is synonymous with quality and excellence in customer service and support. The company has won many customer and industry awards for its product design and reliability including overall ‘Best PC Manufacturer’ in the UK, ahead of many well known multi-national competitors.

Trdguy2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Trdguy2001

My 1st woot!!!Finally!!

SpotlessMizzle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpotlessMizzle

These are really useful if you live in NYC

Audikid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Audikid

I'm in for one. Never had a GPS before. I will take it to Cali this summer and give it a good workout. Sounds great for finding the nearest Dunkin Donuts in a strange land. It will also look good on the dash of my new S4 WOOT!

WOOTS! + a few more
  • Logitech Wireless USB Music System for PC
  • Digital Blue PC Animation Station - 2 Pack
  • iRobot Roomba Discovery SE
  • Logitech Wireless Music System
  • Audiovox Portable 10” LCD TV with DVD Player & In-Car Mounting Kit
  • Digital 2-Way FRS/GMRS Wristwatch Radios
  • Logitech Bluetooth Headphone for MP3
  • Rio Cali Sport 128MB MP3 Player
  • HP Photo Paper Bundle II
  • Rockford Fosgate WiFi Car/Home Audio Bundle
  • Kensington Pro Gaming Mouse and Splinter Cell Game

Insouciant

kuoh wrote:As far as I know, they all calculate street numbers, but some manufacturers are more up to date with changes, and also more expensive. Re-numberings are usually done to make the streets more consistent, not less. Still, even if the numbers aren't exactly right, it should still get you close enough to navigate the rest of the way on your own. If that's not good enough, then you may want to consider hiring a chauffeur.

KuoH

LOL, not here! We have common roads that run for a few miles, abruptly stop [NOT combined with another road], shift east 3 miles, then continue on, sometimes with a jump in the numbers and SOMETIMES NOT! Then there's all the municipalities (NOT suburbs) who will give a single street overlapping numbers as it passes through their area. Eg. several "4000 blocks" on the same named street within 10 miles of each other just "down the road" a ways. I have a "chauffeur's" license and have gotten around very well without a GPS -- just don't want it to be a frustration if I get one. There is a very good map book (printed paper, bound) produced by the Gas Company here which lists street numbers in the index and municipality - haven't seen this in any national map brand/Atlas.

Comments in forums indicate a break in numbering can cause re-routing? uggg, serious mental note (probably applicable to all GPSes if they all guestimate numbering.)

Thanks omghax for the search URL. Might be fun to play with this cheap unit.

Whippo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Whippo
Hammerofthegods wrote:

Really? With a very generous three hour battery life, just how far are you going to get? Within three hours of my house? Don't need a GPS for that.........

Well, those of us with a little common sense could turn on the gps WHEN WE ARE IN UNFAMILIAR PLACES, I'm not buying the thing to find my way from my mailbox to my door.

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
xludexgenx5 wrote:

because if you miss an exit it will tell you how to get around it without delay because time is money and no point on wasting time reading a map.

could I hook this up to my bicycle????????

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

darkangel115

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkangel115

just got one. i hope its good. i've been wanting a navi and this price is too good

hawker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hawker

I'm in for 1. Just going through the user guide from the company site told me what I needed to know...for this price (all over the web it's considerably more, at my favorite electronics site-newegg, it's $250) what's the harm? They're selling on ebay for $195. I need a portable unit, I don't care at all about the music/picture features, but they all seem to do that these days, and this one seemingly fits my needs well.