dmcdunnd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmcdunnd

Would this unit work on a motorcycle? It would need to be waterproof & able to handle vibration. Thanks

leshrak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leshrak
dmcdunnd wrote:Would this unit work on a motorcycle? It would need to be waterproof & able to handle vibration. Thanks

It sticks to the windshield via suction cup, I would think if you could somehow build it into the frame you'd be okay, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue or inclination to do so.

rrwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rrwoot
amyteg1 wrote:

Good for you. Admitting it is the first step. j/k

But, more importantly, why WOULDN'T you want it to play music? I have five or six MP3 players, and I just can't get enough of them. I'm telling ya', if they ever put an MP3 player on a Roomba, I'll even buy one of those. (But that's the only way.)

I agree. But it would be better if these players let you play mp3/watch videos without having to shut off the GPS functionality. I understand it would need to have more horsepower etc, but it makes the added functions useful only if u arent gonna touch it for quite some time.

Xavier

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Xavier

Hey Woot! You think you could get this to me by Mother's Day?

- Xavier

the_drm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the_drm

Does anyone know how these do for off-road situations? I'd like to be able to use it on an ATV for trail mapping, as well as in the car for street driving.

Can it do waypoints and tracking, and can you load topo style maps?

Thanks!

Ronin26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ronin26

Hmmm..... A really big map that never needs folding...... how is that possible???

What alien technology are they tryin to sneak out to the people now???

I sure hope it has a "you are here X" or someting.... *wanders off mumbling*

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
Catbird wrote:Please excuse my ignorance...

With this particular GPS unit, how do you get current maps? Is it like the Garmins, whereby you pay $75 for the most current map available?

FWIW, I have had my Garmin 2620 for ~3 years or so and paid BIG bucks for it back then (close to $$900). I have never purchased any updated map info., but probably should if I am going to continue to use it.

The thing is, today's woot GPS only costs the same as 2 map updates, my Garmin 2620 has no internal battery for outside the car use and it's about the size of a small brick.

I'm seriously considering this woot... HELP!

I love my Garmin iQue 3600 and Garmin service! Just cracked the screen after years of use and they exchanged it for a completely re-habbed unit for $75. (only drawback for this older model is that the screen is not as bright for car use as the newer models, but new maps are available). Palm OS and talks, too. Recording with built in mike sufficient quality for 95% accuracy on DragonNaturallySpeaking PRO transcription downloads.

There's a lot to be said about good customer service, especially when a unit is years out of warranty, but still usable! Rare in these throw-away times.

Someone mentioned Canadian maps. My basic Garmin maps include not only US, but luckily enough Toronto to save me from the inevitable closed highway exits during construction times, which seem to occur whenever I travel to my favorite Canadian city.

Barbiekay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barbiekay

I got mine!! Can't wait to get it...

17 total Woots
Total Woot wage $940.79

jessincase

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jessincase

i wooted one... figured if we don't like it we can give it to the rents. They dont usually accept "expensive" gifts unless they're our hand-me-downs...

cryhavok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cryhavok

So can anyone who has one/experience with one actually CONFIRM that it will do Door to Door navigation? There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions...

freekshow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freekshow

Can you , for example , program a destination I want to travel to in Florida and have it guide me there from Michigan. Many of the Gps units will not give you start to finish directions because it will only let you load one state at a time . Thanks for any info y'all :-)

clarkstoncracker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clarkstoncracker
KingWiley wrote:Breakdown:

Touch screen is very nice, we have only begun to see this on GPS models lately, and it's very convenient for automotive use.

Only begun to see this lately? huh?

My three year old Garmin Ique is touch screen as is my 2 year old street pilot

Politics + internet = trouble.

towknie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages towknie
freekshow wrote:Can you , for example , program a destination I want to travel to in Florida and have it guide me there from Michigan. Many of the Gps units will not give you start to finish directions because it will only let you load one state at a time . Thanks for any info y'all :-)

I've used mine from Texas to Oklahoma, but beware of the extraordinarily circuitous route it would have you take. If you try to do a route from Michigan to Florida, it'll give you directions, but it might be via Phoenix.

sdluce1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdluce1

In for one...the wife would be proud that I am, in a adhoc way, giving up the manly urge to disregard all directions and use only maps. In her words, welcome to 2007 luddite.

Fadethephoto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fadethephoto
Terfer01 wrote:

I agree, I am amazed at the number of people who can not read a map, so for a purchase for myself it would be great, but honestly, I wonder if those that have a hard time reading a map would have the sense to enter in the coordinates to get where they are going, I did not check to see if it has voice commands, but if not, forget it, my two sisters, my wife, neither of my two b/fs, NONE of them can read a damn map...

For the latter 3 thank god for my 'treasure trail, or they might get lost on that trek too...

--Also, unless you have a really good map for every place you ever drive through this will show you roads you couldn't otherwise find. I've been lost more than once and my expensive paper maps don't cover every small road in the area.

nomarsgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nomarsgirl

Now, how can I drop the hint to my husband that I would like this for mother's day??

redspecial

quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial
dmcdunnd wrote:Would this unit work on a motorcycle? It would need to be waterproof & able to handle vibration. Thanks

Double ziplock bags and duct tape.

kuoh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kuoh

Buy it using his credit card.

KuoH

nomarsgirl wrote:Now, how can I drop the hint to my husband that I would like this for mother's day??

ssalmehe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssalmehe

my 2nd woot. couldn't resist the gps unit this time. hope it's worth it.

rherna56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rherna56

i habe a navman icn 630, its the best im may have not touch screen like the newer model but so far 3yrs later and use for 8hrs a day for my job, i love it, speaks, reroutes. has all the maps with street to srteet and knows whre tha gas stations are and resturants, was one of the easyiest to uase and load, has a sd card to and didnt even need to use it. would only buy a namvan...... i tried others and were horiible to figure out,, but u get what u pay for,,,,

TMed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TMed

meh.... I'm good with the Google maps and GPS on my Helio, next woot

ON A SIDE NOTE: love my screaming flying mokeys from the woot off!

1) Screamin Black Caped Monkey of Joy x3 :April 27th 2007 woot off!
2) Unlocked Palm Treo 650 with 32mb memory card X2 :July 20th 2007 woot off!
3)Logitech QuickCam Express USB Web Camera x1
:October 5th woot off!
4)Honestech My-IPTV Anywhere Deluxe :Nov. 15th woot off!

kaiserkwilts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaiserkwilts

I'm in for 1. Woohoo! My second woot!

marknoble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marknoble

From the product image it looks like the user was driving around at 4:20a and encountered a giant stereo speaker in the freeway - luckily the GPS has plotted a course around the massive magnetic field.

ppachuber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ppachuber

Whoo hoo..........got my first woot........hope it is as good as it sounds.....

thecameranut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thecameranut

At that price I thought I would give it a try. I have a Garmin c330 and love it... :o)

jeffmdaemon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffmdaemon

I got the $50 MS streets 2006 kit last week that comes with the gps. I finally took a trip to a central florida state parks that I've been wanting to visit, and the gps made it ever so painless. Never did I feel lost, or not know where I was heading. And when I was done, I wanted to get something to eat so I looked up some local restaurants. After that I simply pointed it to my house and away I went.

I work nights, so even on my days off, I spend half the day sleeping, so ANY time saved during the day is well worth it.

This little thing looks pretty nice, for $150 it is a nice price point (I love everything about my $50 gps and laptop combo except its size. Its way to big to mount infront of me so I can't really watch the screen while driving. As a counter point though, my laptop looks better and I can use new and better software on it).

If youve ever wanted to go out and visit places that were 1-2 hours away but didn't because you didn't wanna plan a route, and were afraid of wasting time taking bad routes or getting lost, you want a gps.

GetaMac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GetaMac
TheMonk wrote:check this reference out

Ebay link

Looks like they will make a tidy profit too...

gopirajiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gopirajiv

[This is in response to the questio- why does the Sataellite system need to play MP3 also]
]Because you would want to switch between listening to music and navigation instructions on the same gadget
Else you will have to switch off MP3 player to listen to instructions. Totally uncool and a huge pain in the - u-know-where

A dual capable system would automatically stop music and give you instructions when you arive at a turn .

dmcdunnd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmcdunnd
leshrak wrote:

It sticks to the windshield via suction cup, I would think if you could somehow build it into the frame you'd be okay, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue or inclination to do so.

Mounting isn't the problem. Gadgets for motorcycles can be mounted on the handlebars with mounting brackets designed for motorcycles. Many GPS' don't hold up to the vibration. And the description doesn't give me a clue. :-(

Jckatz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jckatz
pekozpub wrote:Why are these so popular? Do people really have that much trouble reading a map?

Yes reading a map is very hard to do when traveling 65 miles per hour in traffic.

Reading a map is very difficult in the dark.

Reading a map is useless if you can't read the street signs because the town is to cheap to replace the lost or stolen ones (of the town is to fancy, to use reflecting ones)

Superllama7

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Superllama7
TheMonk wrote:check this reference out

Ebay link

I find it horribly offensive that they actually copied the woot narrative into their ebay listing. I'm going to see if it'll be shipped now if I "buy it now"

evilnissan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilnissan

I have been wanting a GPS for my car so I dont have to worry about getting lost on my many adventures but I am flat broke.... Damn you woot, why couldnt you put this up thursday or friday when I get paid.

rockerhud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockerhud
jessiebyrd004 wrote:useful linkage blog is updated with info on this woot... i like the idea of the touchscreen and the cam and whatnot... but not a fan of this brand... who has actual experience with this one?... lets hear it.

I think the touchscreen is pretty much standard these days. But I'm not for sure on that. So don't get all hyped on touchscreen. Its a pretty average feature.

Superllama7

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Superllama7
jeffmdaemon wrote:I got the $50 MS streets 2006 kit last week that comes with the gps. I finally took a trip to a central florida state parks that I've been wanting to visit, and the gps made it ever so painless. Never did I feel lost, or not know where I was heading. And when I was done, I wanted to get something to eat so I looked up some local restaurants. After that I simply pointed it to my house and away I went.

I work nights, so even on my days off, I spend half the day sleeping, so ANY time saved during the day is well worth it.

This little thing looks pretty nice, for $150 it is a nice price point (I love everything about my $50 gps and laptop combo except its size. Its way to big to mount infront of me so I can't really watch the screen while driving. As a counter point though, my laptop looks better and I can use new and better software on it).

If youve ever wanted to go out and visit places that were 1-2 hours away but didn't because you didn't wanna plan a route, and were afraid of wasting time taking bad routes or getting lost, you want a gps.

I agree that Streets and Trips is an excellent solution; it's got tons of options for routing according to how fast you drive on certain types of roads, schedules fuel stops according to your input of your vehicle's fuel economy, and - best of all - it allows you to drag your route to another street if you just happen to want to go a little bit different way than the most efficient.

But trying to manipulate the maps on a laptop while driving is a serious compromise of vehicular safety. And stuff. I think that kit also comes with the software to load into Pocket PC operating systems, so if you already have a windows-based PDA, it would probably work better (combined with Streets and Trips) than this product.

I'm going to get this one, though, because I don't have the aforementioned PDA and my cumbersome old magellan 360 just broke. I predict I'll consider this a great improvement over that one, and at a very similar price.

francoamerican5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages francoamerican5

Sweet. Always wanted a dedicated GPS unit. No more trying to hook up my old Dell Axim or laptop. Got one!

Woot! Items (Total All Sites: 67
  • Proud Woot! member since: Feb 2006
  • Plashal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Plashal

Does it come in black. Chances are no, but my interior is black on black

Plashal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Plashal

There are cases you can use to protect from the elements. ( also there are Heads Up Display for your helmet but it comes at a price).

paulhtck

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paulhtck
    adster wrote:Woot, it's not a "desert island." You would be hard pressed to find an island in the desert. The proper phrase is deserted island.

If there's cake lying about, it might be a dessert island.

ivioo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ivioo
    pekozpub wrote:Why are these so popular? Do people really have that much trouble reading a map?

Yes we do and with one of these its easier to get in a accident while trying to poke at the screen while going 80MPH down the road.

Shut up and take my money...again

spbaum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spbaum

Does it have a standard NMEA output?