KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

After much thought and debate, I felt that it was time to get our political wheels active on a matter that tends to get ignored with today's politics. As many of you know I am an 'ologist. As such I have had to make my fair share of displays and other awareness building materials. Now its your turn.

As elections for our local governments are this week and the national debate scene is heating up, lets not forget those members of our planet whose numbers are few. Whose home range might not be what it once was. Those earth denizens whom are hard to find and often overlooked. Your task this week is to:

Build some awareness for an entity, that is or may be threatened or endangered by the lifestyle and influence of the human cultural machine.

Lets see some love for the almost extinct pet rocks, the Siberian tiger who seems to be getting ignored although its numbers continue to drop in the wild, or some affection for those many endangered species yet to receive a recovery plan to insure their place on our planet. Don't feel limited to one group, maybe there are many that need our attention.

The gritty:
Keep your images to a maximum width of 500px and viewable in this forum. All submissions should be posted by Midnight Woot Standard Time on Wednesday the 7th. Judging will be by all observers and participants who wish to participate in the democratic process. They can submit votes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place entries (along with who made them) to me (KtCallista) by Midnight Woot Standard Time on Thursday the 8th. The winner will be announced and receive the much coveted Dodgeball trophy AND the honor, rights, indecisiveness, joy, pleasure, backlash, that comes with hosting Dodgeball 54.

To get you all inspired here is a little something you may see posted on a web hang-out near you, concerning a subspecies which is close to my heart.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

she-geeks are awesome

fyrefall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fyrefall

-FF

biggandyy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biggandyy

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r

plinth

quality posts: 3 Private Messages plinth

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

KT, this is an EXCELLENT idea for a contest! No idea where I'm gonna go with this, but I got several ideas. Now if I could just ditch the kiddies (aka students) for a few hours and get on Paint Shop Pro...

SkekTek

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND

KtCallista

Great stuff EVERYONE!

Please don't feel limited to posters and pamphlets (love the milk carton and the protest). There are lots of ways to build awareness in our society! You are not limited to the poster, just make sure we can see your activism in this forum in the form of an image before the judging period begins!

I better go list my house with the appropriate protection agencies, it appears I am currently providing critical habitat for more Endangered Species than I thought!

SkekTek

Save the Limes!

-J

pute

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pute

Preserve the moment . . .

brianw1957

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brianw1957

Hold Me, Hold Me, never say you Dodge me.

Man, I have a couple of lame ideas, but they just wont jell.
KtCallista, you sure have created a good challenge this round. Thanks

GodfatherND

Even with awareness, brown is still the saddest color.

KtCallista

brianw1957 wrote:Hold Me, Hold Me, never say you Dodge me.

Man, I have a couple of lame ideas, but they just wont jell.
KtCallista, you sure have created a good challenge this round. Thanks

show us anyway! Its not like any of us have any cash thrown into this.

brianw1957

Kt, Thanks for pushing me...

Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

Signature censored by Woot

KtCallista

brianw1957 wrote:

Kt, Thanks for pushing me...

Your welcome! And thank you for sharing your awareness of the loss of printed texts in all formats!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp

wantabewooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wantabewooter
Xexus wrote:

AMEN!

SkekTek

no1 wrote:

Okay, am I the only one that had to paste this into an image program to see what it said?

:D

GodfatherND

SkekTek wrote:Okay, am I the only one that had to paste this into an image program to see what it said?

:D

Doh! I just turned my monitor upside down to view it.

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
gwp wrote:

Yes, sad but true.

brianw1957

Xexus wrote:

Smack on dude... Awesomeness rules.

KtCallista

no1 wrote:lost but not forgotten

You brought tears to my eyes, many of those names are who brought me out of lurkerdom.

JoeDeeDee

wantabewooter

Carbon Carbon Paper Paper

Sources

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

I couldn't read them all because the blood was all running to my head while I was standing on it.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

wantabewooter

pooflady wrote:I couldn't read them all because the blood was all running to my head while I was standing on it.

Silly Wooters! I just used my make-up mirror!

KtCallista

wantabewooter wrote:Carbon Carbon Paper Paper

I remember Carbon Paper! My Mom had some, she used it in her typewriter. Just the other night we had corn on the cob. I tried to explain to my 2 year old that you eat it like, umm err, well, she's never seen a typewriter before, so I just showed her.

Excellent stuff so far!

brianw1957

Carbon Paper, anyone remember mimeograph copy? Typewriters? Shows my age
I almost did an IBM Selectric typewriter death march. Geeks, Geeks, Geeks...

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
brianw1957 wrote:Carbon Paper, anyone remember mimeograph copy? Typewriters? Shows my age

I have an old Underwood in the garage that I used while I was in school. It has the levers for the type that you have to be careful how fast you try to type otherwise two or more levers get jammed together. And a 'Shift' key that makes the entire carriage raise up. (And almost requires two hands to push ...)

Shows my age.

Edit: I also own a floor sweeper without an electrical cord, and a lawnmower without an engine. (Though I'm not likely to choose either of those tools first ...)

pute

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pute
brianw1957 wrote:IBM Selectric typewriter

Holy forum sidetracking, Batman! The first 'word processor' I saw was an IBM typewriter with a device over the keyboard that typed what was on the screen of the input keyboard/screen. I found a YouTube clip of one of these adapted to a Commodore 64 (which was my 4th computer after a Trash80 Model 1, a Timex TS1000 and a VIC-20).

Reminiscing is not an endangered species pute1953

JoeDeeDee

We have an electric typewriter from the late 80s/early 90s, a more "modern" one with word and letter correction, etc. The kids discovered it and have been fighting over it. The most popular thing for them to type seems to be "Help I am a bug" (Okay, now who gets that reference?)

wantabewooter

brianw1957 wrote:Carbon Paper, anyone remember mimeograph copy? Typewriters? Shows my age

I remember when teachers would hand out mimeographed tests and that unusual smell. Like alcohol or something. Kind of smelled good.

terrimeyers

quality posts: 2 Private Messages terrimeyers

Thanks SS for my new togs!

brianw1957

wantabewooter wrote:I remember when teachers would hand out mimeographed tests and that unusual smell. Like alcohol or something. Kind of smelled good.

Wow, in high school, as a young nerd, I worked the AV center and had to smell the mimeograph chems everyday. Maybe that explains the strange creative path my brain has chosen for me to follow, chopping for attention, and sometimes cash.
Thanks for the memories all.

GodfatherND

During my freshman year in high school, I had typing class right after P.E. class. My P.E. teacher was fond of making us do push-ups on our fingertips, and I would walk into typing class with my hands just aching. I never could type too quickly on those manual typewriters anyway!

0x776F6F7421

quality posts: 5 Private Messages 0x776F6F7421
JoeDeeDee wrote:We have an electric typewriter from the late 80s/early 90s, a more "modern" one with word and letter correction, etc. The kids discovered it and have been fighting over it. The most popular thing for them to type seems to be "Help I am a bug" (Okay, now who gets that reference?)

I remember a bug named archy but I don't think he ever called for help. And it's unlikely your kids know about him.