Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Ever notice how we call this a "blog" but most of the posts are just our daily product descriptions? Maybe you remember back when we used to do a little something called the WWWoundup, a daily link blast, in hopes that someday we could stop making air quotes when we tell people about our "blog"? Well, get a good look at those qualifying quotation marks, because the Woot blog is about to get real, and then keep it that way, yo.

Starting today, we'll be featuring weekdaily content in this Blog space, created by me and our team of blogcrafters using artisanal techniques we learned from the ancient masters of the Orient. The WWWoundup returns later today, along with a short humor piece by new contributor Scott Lydon. All hell will commence breaking loose on subsequent days, and very little of it will have to do with Woot per se (Rao be praised, as Kal-El might say). We're fair-gaming anything from photo essays to funny little lists to insightful interviews to hot dog-racing tips. So keep us in your minds, your hearts, and your bookmarks. And let us know what would take the quotation marks off of the Woot "blog" in your mind, too.

tblain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tblain

This is all well and good, but what if you just want the daily product descriptions sent to your feed reader without the skills mastered by the Orient?

I know...I know...why? Helps to have everything in one place, without all the clutter. I hope you will be providing a way for a daily product descriptions feed.

istrebitjel

quality posts: 6 Private Messages istrebitjel
tblain wrote:I hope you will be providing a way for a daily product descriptions feed.

Just logged in to ask the same....

jerwin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerwin

You can get rid of the quotation marks by using the backspace key on your keyboard.

just saying...

46 Wine WOOTS for 345 bottles
23 WOOT shirts
Closet full of WOOT carp waiting to be gifted

Life is good

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

Please accept this laurel and hardy handshake as I wholeheartedly welcome back the WWWoundup. Been gone too long!

aschwaber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aschwaber

sweet. I was wondering where the WWWoundup went. Is the 4o'clock flash going to come back too?

Saturn2888

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Saturn2888

I say go for it.

atrophic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atrophic

Stupid hyphen, I was hoping for some hot dog racing tips. I imagine it would involve questionable meat and lots of explosives.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

DON'T YOU PUT WORDS IN SUPERMAN'S MOUTH BUDDY

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

tedzilla99

quality posts: 31 Private Messages tedzilla99

I enjoyed the Flash games and websites you used to recommend. So bring that back because it would be super cool and stuff. kthxbye

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
tblain wrote:This is all well and good, but what if you just want the daily product descriptions sent to your feed reader without the skills mastered by the Orient?

I know...I know...why? Helps to have everything in one place, without all the clutter. I hope you will be providing a way for a daily product descriptions feed.

I believe this already exists (produt specific feed) in the form of the RSS feed for widget developers. Does anyone have that address handy?

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
Snapster wrote:I believe this already exists (produt specific feed) in the form of the RSS feed for widget developers. Does anyone have that address handy?

Yep, it's here:
http://www.woot.com/salerss.aspx

Like Snapster said, it's built for developers, and so may have tags and info not readable by every rss reader, but I think most of the modern ones are smart enough to ignore tags they don't understand.

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
Slydon wrote:DON'T YOU PUT WORDS IN SUPERMAN'S MOUTH BUDDY

... Signed, Woot Staff? :confused:

[MOD: No advertising please]

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Slydon wrote:DON'T YOU PUT WORDS IN SUPERMAN'S MOUTH BUDDY

Good luck on your blog posts, Mr. Lydon.

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
no1 wrote:Good luck on your blog posts, Mr. Lydon.

I'm hoping the first one explains what a "Mouth Buddy" is. I have an idea, but I might be way off. It's probably not anywhere near as dirty as it sounds.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

gwp wrote:I'm hoping the first one explains what a "Mouth Buddy" is. I have an idea, but I might be way off. It's probably not anywhere near as dirty as it sounds.

Why can't you be more like no1?

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
Slydon wrote:Why can't you be more like no1?

I've often asked myself the very same question.

So far, most of the responses have been a dismissive wave of the hand, or a sarcastic comment. I may be closing in on the truth...

Edit: By the way, Welcome Scott! Hopefully we can play with you longer than we did with Toon before something breaks. (Your joining Woot isn't part of the terms of a court-ordered program or anything, is it?)

Eulenspiegel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eulenspiegel

This is off-topic, but whatever happened to those worst woot candidates?

jvinc12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jvinc12

Could the links on the blog be made to open the page in a new window? I'm lazy and I don't want to do the alternatives, which include clicking the back button over and over to get back to the blog; bookmarking another page (I already have the front Woot! page bookmarked); and, right clicking the link and opening it in a new window myself.

I hope I'm not the only one who enjoys going to a link in a new window, closing the box when I'm done, and moving to the next link...

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
wizard7926 wrote:... Signed, Woot Staff? :confused:

newb wootstaff, wiz.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Slydon wrote:Why can't you be more like no1?

good luck to ya. hey, woot people, shouldn't you put up some revealing photos of the new guy?

Otto42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Otto42
dave bug wrote:http://www.woot.com/salerss.aspx

That is extremely useful, however I still want more than just the latest item, which is all that feed shows. So I coded up a quick Yahoo Pipe to filter out the non-sale item stuff from the normal Woot feed. Here it is:

http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_id=2mxosSm63BGVyonFnkartA&_render=rss

Works pretty well, and weeds out the crap that I'm not interested in. Feel free to use it.

mphdavid

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mphdavid

my son has been missing the woundup and the 4 o'clock game. good to have it back.

BartLU97

quality posts: 2 Private Messages BartLU97

I loved Wiki Wednesdays! I know it was short lived, but are you bringing that back too?