krapposelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krapposelli
AZGman wrote:We got caught by the western edge of one in '03 (can't remember it's name) . . . lost power for about 11 hours . . . winds in our area only hit 50-60 mph, slightly higher gusts . . .

Isabelle! We lost power for 3-4 days and since we have a well & septic, no power=no running water. It was not fun. The boy kid was 6 months old and I had a freezer full of breast milk, and was scared that it was going to go bad. Fortunately, it didn't. The power came on the morning we went to the airport to pick up my Mom.

krapposelli

AZGman wrote:Intensity has more to do with solar activity . . . they've been reported seen as far south as North Carolina when conditions are just right.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen those from my house here in Maryland too! There was something funky going on in the sky - very colorful.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
krapposelli wrote:Isabelle! We lost power for 3-4 days and since we have a well & septic, no power=no running water. It was not fun. The boy kid was 6 months old and I had a freezer full of breast milk, and was scared that it was going to go bad. Fortunately, it didn't. The power came on the morning we went to the airport to pick up my Mom.

uhm . . . that's a lot of . . . uh . . . milking . . .

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

tall4agirl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tall4agirl
AZGman wrote:I'm waiting for the baby monkey to puke . . .

Ewww. I hate when that happens. Baby puke in your hair requires a shower as soon as possible.

AZGman

krapposelli wrote:I'm pretty sure that I've seen those from my house here in Maryland too! There was something funky going on in the sky - very colorful.

That was probably it . . .

The aurora can manifest itself in many ways . . .

krapposelli

AZGman wrote:uhm . . . that's a lot of . . . uh . . . milking . . .

Okay, the freezer wasn't full, but there was a good bit of milk. I'll spare you the details of my breastfeeding.

AZGman

krapposelli wrote:Okay, the freezer wasn't full, but there was a good bit of milk. I'll spare you the details of my breastfeeding.

What about the details of your son's breastfeedings???

tall4agirl

AZGman wrote:That was probably it . . .

Are there certain times of the year when it occurs? (I guess I could just google it...)

krapposelli

AZGman wrote:That was probably it . . .

I remember looking at it and being fascinated by it. At the time I thought of "northern lights" - is that the same thing? I also thought that it could mean that something went terribly wrong somewhere and I was seeing the atmospheric effects of it. There I go turning into Chicken Little again.

The only other cool thing we've seen is a year or so ago they had a night time Space Shuttle launch that took an unusual course up the East Coast. So we saw the rocket take off, then ran outside and saw it streaking across the sky. Okay, we saw a glowing little dot moving very quickly across the sky, but we knew that's what it was.

AZGman

tall4agirl wrote:Are there certain times of the year when it occurs? (I guess I could just google it...)

I don't believe so, although I seem to recall it's more prevalent in the cooler months. But since it's activity is driven pretty much by solar activity, I'd venture to say that when the sun is "cookin'," so is the aurora.

krapposelli

AZGman wrote:What about the details of your son's breastfeedings???

I had started to explain why I had a freezer full of milk, then decided you probably wouldn't be interested. I'm guessing you'd rather hear about the act of breastfeeding itself, and we're just not going to get into that.

AZGman

krapposelli wrote:I remember looking at it and being fascinated by it. At the time I thought of "northern lights" - is that the same thing? I also thought that it could mean that something went terribly wrong somewhere and I was seeing the atmospheric effects of it. There I go turning into Chicken Little again.

<snip>

Yup, "Northern lights" is synonymous with the aurora . . .

AZGman

krapposelli wrote:I had started to explain why I had a freezer full of milk, then decided you probably wouldn't be interested. I'm guessing you'd rather hear about the act of breastfeeding itself, and we're just not going to get into that.

uhm . . . okay

krapposelli

AZGman wrote:Yup, "Northern lights" is synonymous with the aurora . . .

Just googled it, this is what I remember it to look like:

tall4agirl

AZGman wrote:I don't believe so, although I seem to recall it's more prevalent in the cooler months. But since it's activity is driven pretty much by solar activity, I'd venture to say that when the sun is "cookin'," so is the aurora.

I may have to look into this. I would love to see it in person. I'm gonna need a better camera for that trip, though. I was very disappointed in my pictures of the eclipse last night.

AZGman

krapposelli wrote:Just googled it, this is what I remember it to look like:

Oh my gawd!!! That's radiation from the planet Krypton!!!

krapposelli

tall4agirl wrote:I may have to look into this. I would love to see it in person. I'm gonna need a better camera for that trip, though. I was very disappointed in my pictures of the eclipse last night.

Here's a page that I thin is predicting when / where to see it. It's all scientific and it's too late in the day to make heads or tails of it.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html

AZGman

tall4agirl wrote:I may have to look into this. I would love to see it in person. I'm gonna need a better camera for that trip, though. I was very disappointed in my pictures of the eclipse last night.

I probably slept right through it . . . although it did feel darker out for a little while last night . . .

tall4agirl

krapposelli wrote:Here's a page that I thin is predicting when / where to see it. It's all scientific and it's too late in the day to make heads or tails of it.

I'm not convinced that's really English. It looks like English, but I don't understand it at all.

AZGman

krapposelli wrote:Here's a page that I thin is predicting when / where to see it. It's all scientific and it's too late in the day to make heads or tails of it.

Cool! Thanks!!

tall4agirl

AZGman wrote:I probably slept right through it . . . although it did feel darker out for a little while last night . . .

It was darker for about 50 minutes here. I stood outside in my down parka for 20 minutes to watch the shadow cover the last crescent of the moon. My dog thought I was crazy. ...my neighbors probably did too!

krapposelli

AZGman wrote:Cool! Thanks!!

Translate it for us and let us know what the hell it says...

AZGman

krapposelli wrote:Translate it for us and let us know what the hell it says...

It shows the area covered by the aurora at one point in time. The colors indicate intensity with the blue end of the scale being least intense - essentially invisible. The pic that is currently up shows that it is 12 noon at about Midway Island (red arrow).

AZGman

Ah! It updates automatically . . .

tall4agirl

AZGman wrote:It shows the area covered by the aurora at one point in time. The colors indicate intensity with the blue end of the scale being least intense - essentially invisible. The pic that is currently up shows that it is 12 noon at about Midway Island (red arrow).

So, the dark yellow/orange would be the best place to see the aurora? (since there is no red on the current map)

AZGman

tall4agirl wrote:So, the dark yellow/orange would be the best place to see the aurora? (since there is no red on the current map)

I don't completely understand the amount of intensity indicated . . . but I suspect that even in the yellow it would be fairly faint . . .

tall4agirl

AZGman wrote:I don't completely understand the amount of intensity indicated . . . but I suspect that even in the yellow it would be fairly faint . . .

Thanks for the translation.

And thanks for the link, 'selli!

AZGman

I wonder if poofguy is grumpin' around the house cuz his basketball game was canceled?

tall4agirl

AZGman wrote:I wonder if poofguy is grumpin' around the house cuz his basketball game was canceled?

Probably; men are like that.

He could watch Xavier on tv tonight.

krapposelli

tall4agirl wrote:Thanks for the translation.

And thanks for the link, 'selli!

Yes, thanks Gman for the translation. Glad it's a useful link for you guys.

Off to go fix another fancy shmancy bowl of cereal - no bananas this time. Have a great night... and Gman, don't stay up too late. Don't want you to be grumpy tomorrow.

AZGman

Looks like the weather is getting crappier in southern Ohio . . .

tall4agirl

krapposelli wrote:Yes, thanks Gman for the translation. Glad it's a useful link for you guys.

Off to go fix another fancy shmancy bowl of cereal - no bananas this time. Have a great night... and Gman, don't stay up too late. Don't want you to be grumpy tomorrow.

g'night 'selli. Enjoy the cereal.

AZGman

krapposelli wrote:Yes, thanks Gman for the translation. Glad it's a useful link for you guys.

I get to sleep in!!

Cya tomorrey!!

tall4agirl

AZGman wrote:Looks like the weather is getting crappier in southern Ohio . . .

Yup. It sure looks pretty from my living room, though.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

AZGman wrote:It shows the area covered by the aurora at one point in time. The colors indicate intensity with the blue end of the scale being least intense - essentially invisible. The pic that is currently up shows that it is 12 noon at about Midway Island (red arrow).

From what I can tell, in TX we're SOL.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Nite Selli!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

AZGman

daj59 wrote:From what I can tell, in TX we're SOL.

Yep; pretty much!!

tall4agirl

daj59 wrote:From what I can tell, in TX we're SOL.

Well, the stars at night are big and bright there...

AZGman

tall4agirl wrote:Well, the stars at night are big and bright there...

Enough to shine on the yaller roses of Texas in Red River Valley!!

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

When we were in Alaska in September, they told us there was a slim chance we'd see the northern lights, but not real likely, that it was too early for them.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."