cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
daj59 wrote:Well I use condiments!

Example: Baked potato is butter only. No weird stuff in it. No addtional textures.

no sour cream? no cheddar cheese? No salt? No BACON??

krapposelli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krapposelli
SkekTek wrote:I know it won't help, but I thought it would be appropriate:

Awww. He has his halo and is up in heaven.

Did you draw that? Man, I wish I could draw! If they ever have a rat derby, you'll have to enter it.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
krapposelli wrote:Awww. He has his halo and is up in heaven.

Did you draw that? Man, I wish I could draw! If they ever have a rat derby, you'll have to enter it.

It started as my quitter entry from a few weeks ago. I two-toned him to match Splinter, and drew the cloud up fresh and added the halo. Thought it was perfect.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
dontwantaname wrote:No. This is stupid. Dumb rodent. 20 months, only 15 good ones!

It's OK to be sad. Don't beat yourself up over being sad. Since your kids went to school you have spent more quality time with Splinter than with your kids. Get a dog. They usually last longer. Don't you have a shelter pretty close?

Now that I have butted into your life, I have to go to a luncheon and board meeting. See everybody tomorrow.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cruzer wrote:no sour cream? no cheddar cheese? No salt? No BACON??

Butter & salt.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

SkekTek

Darn you folks! Gotta go find food now... and it's not going to be anything as yummy as a loaded baked potato.... grumble...

cruzer

SkekTek wrote:Darn you folks! Gotta go find food now... and it's not going to be anything as yummy as a loaded baked potato.... grumble...

ha! I thought it sounded pretty good myself.

Gumiho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gumiho
krapposelli wrote:Awww. He has his halo and is up in heaven.

That's sweet and kind. Ha ah.

darthv8r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthv8r

Splinters gone?

I'm sorry d'name

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Pet owners, Is it good or bad to jump right back in?
My dad never replaced his dog. He got Suzie when he was 9 and she died when he was 25.
But does the pain of losing one get worse because you lost more than one?
Was his life better because he never went through that pain again?

I know Splinter was my first loved pet and the rat boys in Petco, that I have been visiting since they got them in, are not him. Never will be him.
They won't sit on my lap and watch TV with me for months yet. They will pee on my keyboard and chew my power cord. They might even get loose in the house (oh lord, not that again!!!!)
But on the other hand, they are something alive in the house.
I could hold them.
They would have each other if I don't.
One book said a single rat will bond with you much more than a pair who have each other.
But I can always get the dog

Next question...can I go to petco and not cry?

And DON'T stop playing when I'm around! I can laugh at funny stuff!
Just ignore the crazy lady holding the dead rat in the corner!
(no, not anymore. I left him at the vet because I knew I would sit here all day and hold him....I'm a little too young to be that crazy! Besides I did it all last night, and for an hour at the vet...and he is still gone.)

I apologize to everyone here who had people crisis in their lives right now.

Woot has always been the place to go for pet stuff. Ex military and ex cops come here to be sad when their pets die, because somehow you don't get time off work, or people being extra nice to you in the real world for stuff like that. Or, you just don't go to work and tell people how sad you are about a loss pet. The woot relationships are perfect for it.

I'm going to get the boys. Maybe even the two tan ones, even though they are not as pretty, because those two are always together when I go visit.
Yeah, I can try to find some just old enough babies....but I've been talking to this cage of rats for weeks now, I should take some.
I hope I don't get a biter.
At least they will make noise.

Although.....in NYC among the rich manhattan crowd, I bet people do take off for pet deaths.
My niece, the dog, I absolutely think my sil and bil will take off. They live their lives around that dog!
Bought the dog a country house, bought the dog a car (can't take the dog on the train). If you sleep over, the dog will wake you up by walking on you (and she weighs 140 lbs!)

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:Pet owners, Is it good or bad to jump right back in?

Next question...can I go to petco and not cry?

Ms. Name,

I'd say wait until you can go there and not cry.

Here is what USA Weekend Magazine has to say:

Carolyn Butler, curriculum coordinator at the Argus Institute at Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine, which trains veterinary professionals to meet the emotional needs of pet owners, says that "there's no correct formula about when to bring another pet into the home. For some people, moving very quickly to get another pet seems to work. However, it's best to wait until all family members have had appropriate time to grieve. That time frame varies, since we all grieve so differently, but getting another pet that same day or as soon as a week after the pet dies is generally too soon."

ThunderThighs

Staff

Dname, it's different for each person. You are wise to realize that a new rat will not be Splinter. That is the reason a lot of people wait. When Fred, the bestest dog in the whole wide world, died, I wanted a new buddy pretty soon -- that was Trixie. When Trixie died, I didn't want one and still don't for now. Maisy is enjoying being the sole queen of the roost.

Personally, I think you should look into a dog -- a smallish, short-haired mutt -- from a local rescue group. The dog would get you out of the house for walks and it's a great way to meet people while out on the walks. I know most of the pet names for my neighborhood but not nearly as many neighbors.

PetSmart & PetCo have adoption weekends where rescue groups bring dogs for adoption. These are nice because often they are fostered so they know a bit more about them (housetrained?). Call them to find out the dates for their adoption weekends. This is how we got Trixie. We got Maisy from the local animal shelter just after her 3-day hold period.

Even if you do get a dog, there's nothing keeping you from getting more rats later. My dogs and hammies got along fine. It depends on the dog and the training. I will admit that Fred, the bestest dog in the whole wide world, did get a mouthful of hammie now and then but one HEY! and p'tooie. Hammie just looked at him and started bathing again.

Just my 3 cents.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

no1

Wondering which forum/thread post #2,000,000 will appear in.

krapposelli

no1 wrote:Wondering which forum/thread post #2,000,000 will appear in.

oooh. Instead of last post, we can all try for 2-millionth!

no1

krapposelli wrote:oooh. Instead of last post, we can all try for 2-millionth!

Ms. K,
It'll probably be some dork posting pr0n in the product thread, which will get deleted!

SkekTek

no1 wrote:Ms. K,
It'll probably be some dork posting pr0n in the product thread, which will get deleted!

L_OL... probably right.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

daj59 wrote:Dname, it's different for each person. You are wise to realize that a new rat will not be Splinter. That is the reason a lot of people wait. When Fred, the bestest dog in the whole wide world, died, I wanted a new buddy pretty soon -- that was Trixie. When Trixie died, I didn't want one and still don't for now. Maisy is enjoying being the sole queen of the roost.

Personally, I think you should look into a dog -- a smallish, short-haired mutt -- from a local rescue group. The dog would get you out of the house for walks and it's a great way to meet people while out on the walks. I know most of the pet names for my neighborhood but not nearly as many neighbors.

PetSmart & PetCo have adoption weekends where rescue groups bring dogs for adoption. These are nice because often they are fostered so they know a bit more about them (housetrained?). Call them to find out the dates for their adoption weekends. This is how we got Trixie. We got Maisy from the local animal shelter just after her 3-day hold period.

Even if you do get a dog, there's nothing keeping you from getting more rats later. My dogs and hammies got along fine. It depends on the dog and the training. I will admit that Fred, the bestest dog in the whole wide world, did get a mouthful of hammie now and then but one HEY! and p'tooie. Hammie just looked at him and started bathing again.

Just my 3 cents.

I'm going to get the rats. There has to be a reason that I kept going to visit them. The cage is clean and ready.

Dog, there are two shelters and a s i l has a next door neighbor how has a rescue.
She said that the women knows each one.

But, other than I don't want a puppy, I don't know what I want. Little? Big? Pug, Shepherd?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

krapposelli

dontwantaname wrote:I'm going to get the rats. There has to be a reason that I kept going to visit them. The cage is clean and ready.

Dog, there are two shelters and a s i l has a next door neighbor how has a rescue.

But, other than I don't want a puppy, I don't know what I want. Little? Big? Pug, Shepherd?

Honestly, I thought you were MIA this morning because you had already gone to the store so I was kinda surprised that you hadn't adopted them already.

I've been thinking, and I haven't actually been around when our pets have died (moved out, or they had been sent to a new home - long story). My cat, Chester, is the first pet that I'm going to have that I'm going to have to deal with his death (he's almost 18, so we don't have much longer...). So I can't say whether or not you should get another one now, or wait. Either way, I'm sure it'll be both tough and wonderful. There isn't going to be a right/wrong or easy/hard way.

As far as the dog type - I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon (husband isn't a pet person) but I were to get one, I'd get a small-ish one, that doesn't shed a lot, is smart, and not too hyper. Not sure what kind of dog that is, but it'd be my criteria.

cruzer

I love my shih tzus. they usually aren't too hyper, however, my parents puppies seem to be an exception. They are crazy! very cute though! Actually they turned a year old the same day my grandfather passed away.

awww....look! puppy picture from back in May!

no1

krapposelli wrote:As far as the dog type - I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon (husband isn't a pet person) but I were to get one, I'd get a small-ish one, that doesn't shed a lot, is smart, and not too hyper. Not sure what kind of dog that is, but it'd be my criteria.

Ms. K,
Except for the shedding part, that's a cat. The only small dog that isn't hyper is about 15 years old.

no1

cruzer wrote:I love my shih tzus.

Gesundheit, Mr. Cruzer.

cruzer

no1 wrote:Gesundheit, Mr. Cruzer.

Thank you.

krapposelli

no1 wrote:Ms. K,
Except for the shedding part, that's a cat. The only small dog that isn't hyper is about 15 years old.

There has to be some breed (not necessarily purebreed) that would work!

Oh, and when Chester was younger, he was hyper. Was like a dog - would run to the door when someone knocked, would greet you very enthusiastically when you came home, pounce on you unexpectedly, etc. Now, he just sleeps in his little bed. Or on top of one of the heater grills. He's practically bind and completely deaf. Christmas before last ('06) he had a seizure and we thought he was a goner - but to my husbands dismay, he survived. My son LOVES the cat and is going to be devestated when he passes.

SkekTek

dontwantaname wrote:I'm going to get the rats. There has to be a reason that I kept going to visit them. The cage is clean and ready.

My vote would be for a small-medium dog, but breed would be dependent on what you find available. I'm also a big fan of shelter rescues.

If I had to pick breeds, my favorites are border collies and Basenjis, but I'm weird. Most people like Labs, Retrievers, Beagles and Bassets.

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:My vote would be for a small-medium dog, but breed would be dependent on what you find available. I'm also a big fan of shelter rescues.

If I had to pick breeds, my favorites are border collies and Basenjis, but I'm weird. Most people like Labs, Retrievers, Beagles and Bassets.

My favorite dogs belong to my neighbors. I can go play with them all I want, and don't have to feed or clothe them.

krapposelli

Last night on the news (just now remembered it when I heard a siren drive by) there was a story about a fire and it got me to thinking about how someone here in PWA-ville had a house fire back in late-summer/early-fall. Who was that? If they are still here, is everything rebuilt?

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

And home . . .

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

krapposelli

kenney9226 wrote:My favorite dogs belong to my neighbors. I can go play with them all I want, and don't have to feed or clothe them.

Or pick up any poop.

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
krapposelli wrote:Or pick up any poop.

yes. that's an added bonus.

AZGman

I'll bet she went to the pet store. Let's come up with a list of names for her to mull over . . .

Shiver (also means splinter)
Pierce
Chip (& Dale?)
Scoundrel
Squeak

no1

AZGman wrote:I'll bet she went to the pet store. Let's come up with a list of names for her to mull over . . .

Pierce
Chip (& Dale?)
Scoundrel
Squeak

"ARGH"

AZGman

no1 wrote:"ARGH"

Excellent idea!!

ARGH and
Noodle

krapposelli

AZGman wrote:I'll bet she went to the pet store. Let's come up with a list of names for her to mull over . . .

Pierce
Chip (& Dale?)
Scoundrel
Squeak

Trying to think of rat related names...

Bastard and Fink
Race and Trap

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
kenney9226 wrote:My favorite dogs belong to my neighbors. I can go play with them all I want, and don't have to feed or clothe them.

That's how we satiated my grandfather's desire for a dog (always has had one) and my grandmother's desire not to have one anymore. The neighbor's dog has a great routine, knows exactly what time to come visit and gets table scraps at two houses. It's a win-win.

I've always been more comfortable with big dogs, they don't tend to be as hyper (labs excluded), but big dogs need space and walks and we don't have space, so I am looking at small dogs that act like big dogs. My poor husband has never had a dog. That HAS to change at some point, that's just wrong!

Off to think of rat names. . . hmmmm

Ohhh dname PM.

Beware the V'owls screech!

krapposelli

And some Splinter-related names:

sliver
chip
fleck
scrap
bit
flake

AZGman

Ratatouille and Topo Gigio

ThunderThighs

Staff

Retired Greyhounds are supposed to be terrific pets and couch potatoes. We have a couple in our neighborhood.

krapposelli

AZGman wrote:Ratatouille and Topo Gigio

Rat-a-two-E
Rat-a-two-F

krapposelli

daj59 wrote:Retired Greyhounds are supposed to be terrific pets and couch potatoes. We have a couple in our neighborhood.

Former manager has had greyhounds. Sweet dogs, but she had to be very careful when letting them out. If they saw something running, they'd start chasing it and they were impossible to catch.