SnifferSir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SnifferSir
SkekTek wrote:Lots of info
LP

Like this?

LP

Call me masochistic... But I wish 'STUPID' was painful !!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
SnifferSir wrote:Like this?

LP

Yeppers.

A device utilizing a vibrating pen to graphically represent sound on discs of paper, without the idea of playing it back in any manner, was built by Edouard-Leon Scott of France in 1857. The device, known as a phonautograph was built to examine the characteristics of sounds, but the inventor failed to appreciate that it actually recorded the sound. An early recording made in 1860 has recently been reproduced using computer technology.

In 1877, Thomas Edison developed the phonautograph into a machine, the phonograph, that was capable of replaying the recordings made. The recordings were made on tinfoil, and were initially intending to be used as a voice recording medium, typically for office dictation. This initial machine was developed further by Edward Guilliard, though his developments were subsequently incorporated into Edison's patent, something that he had to fight for the next 26 years.[citation needed]

This phonograph cylinder dominated the recorded sound market beginning in the 1880s. Lateral-cut disc records were invented by Emile Berliner in 1888 and were used exclusively in toys until 1894, when Berliner began marketing disc records under the Berliner Gramophone label. The Edison Blue Amberol Record was introduced in 1912, with a longer playing time of around 4 minutes (at 160 rpm) and a more resilient playing surface than its wax predecessor, but the format was doomed due to the difficulty of reproducing recordings. By November 1918 the patents for the manufacture of lateral-cut disc records expired, opening the field for countless companies to produce them, causing disc records to overtake cylinders in popularity. Production of Amberol cylinders ceased in the late 1920s. Disc records would dominate the market until they were supplanted by the Compact Disc, starting from the 1980s.

LP

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:Yeppers.

A device utilizing a vibrating pen to graphically represent sound on discs of paper, without the idea of playing it back in any manner, was built by Edouard-Leon Scott of France in 1857. The device, known as a phonautograph was built to examine the characteristics of sounds, but the inventor failed to appreciate that it actually recorded the sound. An early recording made in 1860 has recently been reproduced using computer technology.

In 1877, Thomas Edison developed the phonautograph into a machine, the phonograph, that was capable of replaying the recordings made. The recordings were made on tinfoil, and were initially intending to be used as a voice recording medium, typically for office dictation. This initial machine was developed further by Edward Guilliard, though his developments were subsequently incorporated into Edison's patent, something that he had to fight for the next 26 years.[citation needed]

This phonograph cylinder dominated the recorded sound market beginning in the 1880s. Lateral-cut disc records were invented by Emile Berliner in 1888 and were used exclusively in toys until 1894, when Berliner began marketing disc records under the Berliner Gramophone label. The Edison Blue Amberol Record was introduced in 1912, with a longer playing time of around 4 minutes (at 160 rpm) and a more resilient playing surface than its wax predecessor, but the format was doomed due to the difficulty of reproducing recordings. By November 1918 the patents for the manufacture of lateral-cut disc records expired, opening the field for countless companies to produce them, causing disc records to overtake cylinders in popularity. Production of Amberol cylinders ceased in the late 1920s. Disc records would dominate the market until they were supplanted by the Compact Disc, starting from the 1980s.

LP

I will DIE if that is the last post.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:I will DIE if that is the last post.

Sorry.

Early speeds

Early disc recordings were produced in a variety of speeds ranging from 60 rpm to 120 rpm, and a variety of sizes. At least one manufacturer, Philips, produced records that played at a constant linear velocity. As these were played from the inside to the outside, the rpm of the record reduced as reproduction progressed (as is also true of the modern Compact Disc).

As early as 1894, Emile Berliner's United States Gramophone Company was selling single-sided 7″ discs with an advertised standard speed of "about 70 rpm."[1]

One standard audio recording handbook describes speed regulators or "governors" as being part of a wave of improvement introduced rapidly after 1897. A picture of a hand-cranked 1898 Victrola shows a governor. It says that spring drives replaced hand drives and that "the speed regular was furnished with an indicator that showed the speed when the machine was running so that the records, on reproduction, could be revolved at exactly the same speed." It notes that "the literature does not disclose why 78 rpm was chosen for the phonograph industry, apparently this just happened to be the speed created by one of the early machines and, for no other reason continued to be used."[2]

By 1925, the speed of the record became standardised on (nominally) 78 rpm. However, the standard was to differ between America and the rest of the world. The actual 78 speed in America was 78.26 rpm, being the speed of 3600 rpm synchronous motor (run from 60 Hz supply) reduced by 46:1 gearing. Throughout the rest of the world, 77.92 rpm was adopted being the speed of a 3000 rpm synchronous motor (run from 50 Hz supply reduced by 38.5:1 gearing. (See also below)

So this might be LP.

SkekTek

Okay, I promise, no more posting of Gramophone record from Wikipedia.

LP

terrimeyers

quality posts: 2 Private Messages terrimeyers
SkekTek wrote:Okay, I promise, no more posting of Gramophone record from Wikipedia.

LP

good. last post

Thanks SS for my new togs!

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:Sorry.

Early speeds

Early disc recordings were produced in a variety of speeds ranging from 60 rpm to 120 rpm, and a variety of sizes. At least one manufacturer, Philips, produced records that played at a constant linear velocity. As these were played from the inside to the outside, the rpm of the record reduced as reproduction progressed (as is also true of the modern Compact Disc).

As early as 1894, Emile Berliner's United States Gramophone Company was selling single-sided 7″ discs with an advertised standard speed of "about 70 rpm."[1]

One standard audio recording handbook describes speed regulators or "governors" as being part of a wave of improvement introduced rapidly after 1897. A picture of a hand-cranked 1898 Victrola shows a governor. It says that spring drives replaced hand drives and that "the speed regular was furnished with an indicator that showed the speed when the machine was running so that the records, on reproduction, could be revolved at exactly the same speed." It notes that "the literature does not disclose why 78 rpm was chosen for the phonograph industry, apparently this just happened to be the speed created by one of the early machines and, for no other reason continued to be used."[2]

By 1925, the speed of the record became standardised on (nominally) 78 rpm. However, the standard was to differ between America and the rest of the world. The actual 78 speed in America was 78.26 rpm, being the speed of 3600 rpm synchronous motor (run from 60 Hz supply) reduced by 46:1 gearing. Throughout the rest of the world, 77.92 rpm was adopted being the speed of a 3000 rpm synchronous motor (run from 50 Hz supply reduced by 38.5:1 gearing. (See also below)

So this might be LP.

I'LL HAND YOU A CRANK, YOU HAND-CRANKER!!!

last post?

terrimeyers

wonder how many pages we can get this to before someone notices?
Last Post

SnifferSir

terrimeyers wrote:wonder how many pages we can get this to before someone notices?
Last Post

I dunno . . . let's see.

Last Post

kenney9226

SnifferSir wrote:I dunno . . . let's see.

Last Post

PROBATION TIME LAST POST!!!

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

kenney9226

Last Post

terrimeyers

kenney9226 wrote:PROBATION TIME LAST POST!!!

Go! Go! Go!
Last post

NoneBlacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NoneBlacker
kenney9226 wrote:PROBATION TIME LAST POST!!!

You idiot!

last post.

terrimeyers

NoneBlacker wrote:You idiot!

last post.

last post

SkekTek

NoneBlacker wrote:You idiot!

last post.

Garugula.

Last Post.

Received 3 purple-caped monkeys today.

Life is good.

Last Post.

kenney9226

terrimeyers wrote:last post

LAST POST!!

kenney9226

LAST POST!!

kenney9226

LAST POST!!

terrimeyers

last post

TheChurchLady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheChurchLady

I got Last Post.

Hmmm....

terrimeyers

at this rate I should hit 6000 posts today!

SnifferSir

SkekTek wrote:Garugula.

Last Post.

Life is good.

Last Post.

I got one purple and two orange a couple days ago.

LP

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:Garugula.

Last Post.

Life is good.

Last Post.

Oh, those monkeys came out when I was a-sleeping.

But I have some of the cheery pink ones. One's in my cube here right now, and sometimes it screams across the building, terrifying all those around!!

LAST POST!

kenney9225

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenney9225
terrimeyers wrote:at this rate I should hit 6000 posts today!

Oh yeah, ubetcha.

Don't trust anyone.

LP

Viva Puckeritas!

terrimeyers

last post

kenney9225

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenney9225
kenney9226 wrote:Oh, those monkeys came out when I was a-sleeping.

But I have some of the cheery pink ones. One's in my cube here right now, and sometimes it screams across the building, terrifying all those around!!

LAST POST!

Mine!!!!

Last Post. You're an imposter!

Viva Puckeritas!

SnifferSir

PL

terrimeyers

last post

TheUnChola

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheUnChola

I like cheese.

I hate today's shirt.

I like LAst Post.

I laugh at you! Ha.. ha ha ha!!!