superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:crazy. Is edgar even real? I swear his name keeps changing. Maybe I just don't know how it is spelled. I thought it was edgarmmcherley, now its edgarrmcherly.

What you see now is the real deal. Anything else is a doppleganger. Apparently only we cool kids have people making similar names to trick people. ^_~ If you don't know what I'm talking about, oops.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Schrobblehead wrote:crazy. Is edgar even real? I swear his name keeps changing. Maybe I just don't know how it is spelled. I thought it was edgarmmcherley, now its edgarrmcherly.

Don't forget the Cho/Edgar one too...

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

Ha, if there hadn't already been a sh--storm over the previous fake Edgar, I'd suggest making up a fake Edgar account, PMing the password to the Cyberpubbers, and each person try to enter one Edgar-like design (for a total of 10 or 20!). Imagine the chaos!

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
superspryte wrote:What you see now is the real deal. Anything else is a doppleganger. Apparently only we cool kids have people making similar names to trick people. ^_~ If you don't know what I'm talking about, oops.

I noticed a few, but I didn't know who is the real deal. There are about 84 of Cho, so I figued 84= the real one.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:Ha, if there hadn't already been a sh--storm over the previous fake Edgar, I'd suggest making up a fake Edgar account, PMing the password to the Cyberpubbers, and each person try to enter one Edgar-like design (for a total of 10 or 20!). Imagine the chaos!

I'm not usually a fan of chaos, but that's funny. Note for anyone who decides to organize said thing or something similar in the future: Even if I'm not invited, please give me a head's up on it. I'll keep quiet but knowing something like that would be helpful, possibly critical.

PS - I'm assuming you don't mean it to poke fun at Edgar.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:I noticed a few, but I didn't know who is the real deal. There are about 84 of Cho, so I figued 84= the real one.

Yeah those were made by a group of angry wooters who blamed Cho's exile on...whatever. He has requested that he be kept out of things though so hopefully we won't be seeing any more of the fake Cho accounts.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

no1 wrote:Ha, if there hadn't already been a sh--storm over the previous fake Edgar, I'd suggest making up a fake Edgar account, PMing the password to the Cyberpubbers, and each person try to enter one Edgar-like design (for a total of 10 or 20!). Imagine the chaos!

Clever, but I wouldn't want to do that to Edgar. He is just too darn nice, and anything I produce in attempting to mock him would be abysmal and probably an insult to his art.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

no1

PemberDucky wrote:Clever, but I wouldn't want to do that to Edgar. He is just too darn nice, and anything I produce in attempting to mock him would be abysmal and probably an insult to his art.

It's an homage. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or some similar . If you're concerned that someone could really make something that could be mistaken for an Edgar, the name could be something to point it out. Reinterpreting Edgar... that could be the name. Or Composite Edgarites.

Schrobblehead

no1 wrote:It's an homage. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or some similar . If you're concerned that someone could really make something that could be mistaken for an Edgar, the name could be something to point it out. Reinterpreting Edgar... that could be the name. Or Composite Edgarites.

RedgarMcEarly? doesn't point it out, but isn't trying to deceive.

nah. sounds too mocking. I wouldn't like it if someone started posting as Scribblehead.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:RedgarMcEarly? doesn't point it out, but isn't trying to deceive.

nah. sounds too mocking. I wouldn't like it if someone started posting as Scribblehead.

Someone thought supersprite was me. At least one someone.

Schrobblehead

superspryte wrote:Someone thought supersprite was me. At least one someone.

that's a difference that is easy to miss.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:that's a difference that is easy to miss.

Except the sig was completely different and the name lacks a certain notation to the left. Still, even I glossed over the name part of it.

Schrobblehead

superspryte wrote:Except the sig was completely different and the name lacks a certain notation to the left.

fair enough. Did you figure out who it was? Surely woot can check IP's and whatnot.

PemberDucky

Staff

superspryte wrote:Someone thought supersprite was me. At least one someone.

Did they submit something or do you mean the forum clone?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:fair enough. Did you figure out who it was? Surely woot can check IP's and whatnot.

Certainly. We knew who it was as soon as the name showed up.

PemberDucky wrote:Did they submit something or do you mean the forum clone?

No submissions yet. Although I'm sure we'll see one now if he happens to read the Derby Cyberpub.

PemberDucky

Staff

Dude! Did anybody hear about the massive 200-car pile-up in the UAE?!
http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?id=14620433
The pictures (CNN has a few) are unbelievable.

SkekTek

PemberDucky wrote:Dude! Did anybody hear about the massive 200-car pile-up in the UAE?!
http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?id=14620433
The pictures (CNN has a few) are unbelievable.

Mix speed with fog and the results are usually not pretty. Looks bad.

no1

SkekTek wrote:Mix speed with fog and the results are usually not pretty. Looks bad.

Are you talking about the traffic accident or the Derby?

SkekTek

no1 wrote:Are you talking about the traffic accident or the Derby?

Good one!

jimcho84

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimcho84
superspryte wrote:Yeah those were made by a group of angry wooters who blamed Cho's exile on...whatever. He has requested that he be kept out of things though so hopefully we won't be seeing any more of the fake Cho accounts.

*cries*

no, i'm not him. i'm someone else entirely.

SkekTek

jimcho84 wrote:*cries*

It'd be a funnier username if it was jimicho84.

Pigeon shirt sold out. Wow. Considered it but I designed a better pigeon shirt long ago (and it's on sale on the camel link below).

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

jimcho84 wrote:*cries*

Yeah, like you.

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:It'd be a funnier username if it was jimicho84.

Pigeon shirt sold out. Wow. Considered it but I designed a better pigeon shirt long ago (and it's on sale on the camel link below).

Nice plug. How come your shirts are priced differently?

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:Nice plug. How come your shirts are priced differently?

The camel ones are on lightweight t-shirts, the pigeons are on heavyweight. I've been dinking with the shop the last 10 minutes too...

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:The camel ones are on lightweight t-shirts, the pigeons are on heavyweight. I've been dinking with the shop the last 10 minutes too...

Not that I would expect anything I have made to sell much, but how hard is it to set up at spreadshirt?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:Not that I would expect anything I have made to sell much, but how hard is it to set up at spreadshirt?

Yes, do share. I need to think about that too. My plane entry has fans that want it. ^_^

no1

Schrobblehead wrote:Not that I would expect anything I have made to sell much, but how hard is it to set up at spreadshirt?

I'm curious to know this too, if only to allow Dr. J to buy the "mad scientist" shirt.

Do transparent areas cause major pain?

Digital Transfer Overlay:

This process uses a special type of material that the design is printed on before being heat transferred onto the t-shirt. For this print technique, our system doesn't recognize transparencies . Therefore, any area of your design that you've set to be transparent will be changed to white . We can remove the white background [blah blah blah]

What about transparent areas in the middle of a design?

SkekTek

It doesn't appear that hard, though I haven't sold a single shirt yet

If you're doing vector, it's difficult to get things past their Quality Control. They have a 3-color limit for vector, but can print digitally using any decent high DPI raster. My camel design is vector, while the pigeon is 300 dpi raster. I think in that way spreadshirt is similar to cafe press. Redid my little logo at the bottom of my sig to take that camel off.

no1

SkekTek wrote:Redid my little logo at the bottom of my sig to take that camel off.

Gee, I was hoping you'd show some cameltoe.

no1

SkekTek wrote:It doesn't appear that hard, though I haven't sold a single shirt yet

If you're doing vector, it's difficult to get things past their Quality Control. They have a 3-color limit for vector, but can print digitally using any decent high DPI raster. My camel design is vector, while the pigeon is 300 dpi raster.

Why is there a 3-color limit for vector?

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:Gee, I was hoping you'd show some cameltoe.

There are PM's for sharing those kinds of photos of/with each other. ^_~

SkekTek

no1 wrote:What about transparent areas in the middle of a design?

If it's on a white t-shirt, then it appears as clear since it's going to be printed as white. On another color shirt (like my black ones), any transparency will come out white. My camel design is vector, which is cut using a plot knife and therefore there's no worries. The pigeon has a printed black in the design which isn't meant to be transparent. So it'll be like a solid circle of printing. I should probably order one of each design to see how they come out...

Schrobblehead

superspryte wrote:There are PM's for sharing those kinds of photos of/with each other. ^_~

better there than the signature. *threw up in my mouth a little*

SkekTek

no1 wrote:Why is there a 3-color limit for vector?

I think because they have to physically cut each color from separate rolls of plot stock, and more than three colors would make matching all those edges impossible.

SkekTek

no1 wrote:Gee, I was hoping you'd show some cameltoe.

I think there's enough of that on the web already. Plus a Bob and Tom song.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
SkekTek wrote:While I enjoy the sentiment, I am one of those few that managed to score a printed shirt design even though I ain't no designer. It did help that Cho was in a self-imposed shirt.woot exile at the time, though. And Jaden won (yay Jaden!).

But the last few weeks, it's been the Jimiyo and Cho show! And tonight's special guest... Edgar!

L O L Thanks Skek *hugs* that's just awesome. You and sigaru (has remarked in my Peaches entry) need to set up a fanclub, I think.

Well, Cho DID enter that week. We kept bumping him out of the fog all Wednesday and Thursday morning. Cho and Jimiyo are the caliber of DBH. I wonder if they come to shirt.woot for the frequent wins in comparison to DBH, even though they'd be able to use more colors, more techniques, and more applications than shirt.woot has in their arsenal. I mean basically, Cho won twice this last week and will again this week. The same with Jimiyo. I'm sure it'll come down to a tighter vote spread and Jim will make it to the fog at the very least. Then you find one or 2 people who are either new or occasionally in the fog. Sokowa has been there a couple times as has Fable, then you see a completely new person in the top 4 like ZeusandHera (just using you guys as references). Cho, Jimiyo (and I know Jimiyo hasn't been around much, but you guys can all see the level of work that he outputs on a regular basis) and Fable will almost always be in the top 10, if not the top 5.

Now I'm not ripping on anyone. So please don't feel that's my motive here. I'm just wondering why the consistently awesome artists aren't looking for bigger pots of gold? I said it last week during the line art derby that Cho could easily just open his own shop and make a fortune. And we know that Jimiyo already makes money off of his vector designs, so he very well could take that further to a shirt design shop. I mean, it would show the versatility of his vector graphics even more than his little screen shots of the package designs. Fable, I think you've said before you just do this for fun and you went kinda MIA for a while. So I don't think that's necessarily a reason why you design for the derbies.

So I'm interested in a few things here. I bring the subject to a head, because I'm more interested in people's feelings on who consistently ends up in the fog and gets printed. I'd like to know about who feels that if they are just here for the money (which, that's not how I feel, but consistent wins week after week, must be frustrating to others) why not go for a bigger payout? Do any of you feel that there should be different levels within the derby?

I present the questions and thoughts to the masses. Because I can sit here all day and argue for both sides but it's no fun discussing with myself.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
SkekTek wrote:I think there's enough of that on the web already. Plus a Bob and Tom song.

You know of Bob and Tom? I've been listening to them for at least 20 years. They used to be local (Indy) only. I'm not sure how known they are around the country.
-Andy

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

JadenKale wrote:*longness*

I present the questions and thoughts to the masses. Because I can sit here all day and argue for both sides but it's no fun discussing with myself.

Definitely for fun. And perhaps the challenge of creating a design on such a short timeline.

SkekTek

Andy47240 wrote:You know of Bob and Tom? I've been listening to them for at least 20 years. They used to be local (Indy) only. I'm not sure how known they are around the country.
-Andy

I lived in Lafayette IND for about, oh 6 years. Heard them via Indy.

Schrobblehead

JadenKale wrote:stuff...

I think everyone who does this does it for fun, even those who might have careers in graphic design or who do actually make money doing it. No levels. Woot has to be able to sell.

Oh, and lump now playing on ipod. presidents' version of "video killed the radio star" from Wedding Singer coming up.