kbmmike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbmmike

***EDITED***

No whining about this anymore - thanks to all who helped set me straight on how to post on Woot without getting banned.

Hi there - I run a live internet TV channel at www.justin.tv/woottv where we announce the current Woot and discuss all things Woot.. There is no advertising, promotion or anything but Woot. on the channel.

I have posted links to Woots site on the 'discuss this product' page along with constructive comments about the current Woot, without comments, with a signature that has a link to my channel and so on and every time I get banned. Once for 180 hours! The reason they give is "advertising'. The only thing I am advertising is Woot! The more people from Woot that come to the channel, the more attention the channel gets in general and it attracts people from outside Woot to come see what is going on. I have had many many people come on and ask "What's a Woot?" only to have them check it out and get hooked.

So....my question to Woot is....Could you please let me post my link in the product discussion page so we can promote Woot for you? You might like to log in and have a chat yourself! We have a lot of fun and it's all in the good name of Woot...

Thanks,
Woottv

www.justin.tv/woottv

hendersonhenderson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hendersonhenderson
kbmmike wrote:Hi there - I run a live internet TV channel at www.justin.tv/woottv where we announce the current Woot and discuss all things Woot.. There is no advertising, promotion or anything but Woot. on the channel.

I have posted links to Woots site on the 'discuss this product' page along with constructive comments about the current Woot, without comments, with a signature that has a link to my channel and so on and every time I get banned. Once for 180 hours! The reason they give is "advertising'. The only thing I am advertising is Woot! The more people from Woot that come to the channel, the more attention the channel gets in general and it attracts people from outside Woot to come see what is going on. I have had many many people come on and ask "What's a Woot?" only to have them check it out and get hooked.

So....my question to Woot is....Could you please let me post my link in the product discussion page so we can promote Woot for you? You might like to log in and have a chat yourself! We have a lot of fun and it's all in the good name of Woot...

Thanks,
Woottv

www.justin.tv/woottv

Well, maybe that's it then - they don't want you advertising for them - I reckon they do just fine on their own. Sure, your site seems harmless enough, but there might be some sort of legal ramifications to advertising without consent - I don't know...just pondering.

ppremont

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ppremont

So if I understand well, you want to promote woot by posting your link on the Woot webpage.

2 questions:
Isn't this promoting YOUR website?
How can you promote Woot by attracting people who already know Woot on your website?

I know you love Woot just as much as we all do but I don't think that your request makes a lot of sense. I got to agree with Woot that you are advertising yourself. Just keep doing what your doing, advertise yourself somewhere else if you want but let woot be woot, not justinwoot.

Bring back the 4 O'Clock Flash!!!

kbmmike

Not sure you get it...but I guess you just have to experience it.

Come see me live at 10 pacific tonight and you will see that it is not promoting my site - it is a live discussion that is centered around Woot and introducing new people to Woot. The only good that can come from promoting my site is that Woot gets exposure.

I have seen other sites like www.bagsofcrap.com that are a similar concept, however mine is unique in that it is live and interactive and a way for Wooters to get together in real time...

Anyhow....I invite you to check it out. www.justin.tv/woottv @ midnight central every night.

kbmmike

hendersonhenderson wrote:Well, maybe that's it then - they don't want you advertising for them - I reckon they do just fine on their own. Sure, your site seems harmless enough, but there might be some sort of legal ramifications to advertising without consent - I don't know...just pondering.

That may be...just pondering myself...thanks for the input.

STC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages STC

It's a slippery slope. If they give an inch, sooner or later, someone will take a mile. And then someone else.

Just curious: Are you really just doing this out of the goodness of your heart? Do you really want to spend your free time promoting a commercial venture such as Woot and not getting anything in return? I mean, talk about negative entropy...

They're probably suspicious of your motives. That could be another reason.

jstutman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstutman

Dunno, I am there and its just him talking and chatting with us. I dont see what his secret plot could be.

az0madman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages az0madman

I don't see it any different than people posting IRC chatrooms and what not during wootoffs. This is basically a video chat version of all that. At the very least, the banning is a bit much.

hendersonhenderson

jstutman wrote:Dunno, I am there and its just him talking and chatting with us. I dont see what his secret plot could be.

Yeah - I'm there too - seems pretty innocent to me.....just chatting about Woot stuff....

hendersonhenderson

Hey Woot - can you tell us why this guy keeps getting banned? I checked out his site, and he's a huge Woot fan. He doesn't do anything wrong - he just sits and chats with other Woot fans about Woot products. Those of us that enjoy his site are curious to know why you feel what he is doing is wrong - or is ban worthy? Maybe an explanation would help us to understand what the problem is?

woodicted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodicted

I support Woot on this one. It isn't cute when others do it, and this is no different.

Open a lemonade stand and start a website trumpeting that. Woot doesn't need your help. It's a business, not a rock band.

rausch713

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rausch713

I have not noticed your ad for your site. How specific are you that the link taking a person to your site is not affiliated or supported by woot.com? Notice the wootalyzer disclaimer. woot.com could be held liable for something on your site if the link to your site appears to be supported by woot.com even in the slightest.

Also, it is not good business to let others have free reign in using your name. Even it it is not a legal liability issue, there could be other things that come up on your site that put woot in a bad light (it's a free discussion - doesn't matter what your intent is, some one else could come onto your site and put woot into a bad light) and woot likes to keep that possibility on this site; not allow it to go out to others - because as you know, woot can delete your post and ban you if you are on this site

My sig was too long

mitchmontona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mitchmontona

this guys legit check him out

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

Keeping it in signature isn't so much an issue, but posting every night on several accounts with no content but your link? Yeah, that's advertising/spam and it isn't welcome, regardless of what the content is.

As far as the woot-off chat links and such, we request that those remain in World of Woot and not to be spammed to every thread either. Those get probated as well, but there are usually more pressing concerns doing woot-offs, as I suspect you folks know. =)

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

hendersonhenderson

Gatzby wrote:Keeping it in signature isn't so much an issue, but posting every night on several accounts with no content but your link? Yeah, that's advertising/spam and it isn't welcome, regardless of what the content is.

As far as the woot-off chat links and such, we request that those remain in World of Woot and not to be spammed to every thread either. Those get probated as well, but there are usually more pressing concerns doing woot-offs, as I suspect you folks know. =)

Oh - I didn't realize he was doing that - yeah, that's a bit much....

woodicted

Gatzby wrote:Keeping it in signature isn't so much an issue, but posting every night on several accounts with no content but your link? Yeah, that's advertising/spam and it isn't welcome, regardless of what the content is.

You know, Gatzby, while we have your attention, how about starting to archive the prices for the Woots so that we don't have to have advertising from third parties providing what they feel is a "much needed service" for us? And how many people's Froogle and Amazon links do we really need to see? I mean, who gives a monkey's butt?

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
woodicted wrote:You know ... how about starting to archive the prices for the Woots ... ?

The answer is here.

woodicted

gwp wrote:The answer is here.

Yeah, I've seen that hogwash before. But thanks...

kbmmike

Glad to be un-banned...

So I understand that the first day I was doing this I had posted some excessive messages, however the rest of the links posted were from fans of my broadcast. I think this got mis-interpreted as me using multiple accounts, etc. I was not - I have 2 accounts (kbmmike and woottv) and I have never spammed "hundreds" of messages. It was never my intention to piss anyone off and I apologize to anyone affected by my lack of tact early on.

I won't be posting anymore however since I am usually broadcasting during Woot time, so if you see a banner in someones signature that is probably someone other than me. It is my understanding that if you have a banner in your signature it is not a problem as long as you are posting is useful and on topic. If you watch my broadcast you will see that I encourage people to only post if they have something constructive to say about the current woot.

My audience is growing - 30 people on the channel last night discussing the Woots and having fun - everyone is welcome except haters...

Thanks folks - I don't want to beat a dead horse here except to say I am sorry if I caused anyone undue pain and suffering...

-mike

Snapster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Snapster
woodicted wrote:Yeah, I've seen that hogwash before. But thanks...

Hogwash aside, It actually boils down to the fact that everything here is aligned for our members to get the best pricing opportunity possible. Creating official pricing references for google's spider to find, index, and show up when subsequent searchers for that product are price shopping it is not in the interest of anyone here. While it's primarily to the manufacturers benefit in that it doesn't disrupt their channel, we all have a gain from that. Sure it's repeated in the forums but that's far from official. Woot could document it graphically instead of text, I suppose, but not documenting past pricing at all is enjoyably clean of hype.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
woodicted wrote:You know, Gatzby, while we have your attention, how about starting to archive the prices for the Woots so that we don't have to have advertising from third parties providing what they feel is a "much needed service" for us? And how many people's Froogle and Amazon links do we really need to see? I mean, who gives a monkey's butt?

At least seven.

Most of the ones that stand are slightly different -- someone might just use the product name, another might use the product number. Some posts contain more than just the Google Product Search or Amazon links, so they stay for other reasons. Mainly, though, it's trying to balance a more "hands-off" approach in encouraging people to participate, general usefulness of the posts, and overflow of repetition.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

geswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geswoot
Gatzby wrote:At least seven.

Most of the ones that stand are slightly different -- someone might just use the product name, another might use the product number. Some posts contain more than just the Google Product Search or Amazon links, so they stay for other reasons. Mainly, though, it's trying to balance a more "hands-off" approach in encouraging people to participate, general usefulness of the posts, and overflow of repetition.

I quit reading through the message blogs attached to the nightly Woots because finding useful information just became a pain in the ass. There are a good number of people that seem to want to impress me with their ability to post a Google Product search link, or even advertise themselves in the name of Woot. It just isn't fun anymore -- not like it used to be.

Perhaps a feature to divide the spam and the useful posts? I mean, I really don't care to see that crass banner for WootTv every night, now coming from multiple posters.

witespy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages witespy
geswoot wrote:I quit reading through the message blogs attached to the nightly Woots because finding useful information just became a pain in the ass. There are a good number of people that seem to want to impress me with their ability to post a Google Product search link, or even advertise themselves in the name of Woot. It just isn't fun anymore -- not like it used to be.

Perhaps a feature to divide the spam and the useful posts? I mean, I really don't care to see that crass banner for WootTv every night, now coming from multiple posters.

really? I really don't see how you can get any usefull information if you dont look. and talk to as many poeple as possible.

STC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages STC
witespy wrote:really? I really don't see how you can get any usefull information if you dont look. and talk to as many poeple as possible.

You guys with the banners remind me of the guys on bicycles dressed in shirts and ties, toting bibles. I'll just leave it at that.

All hail roombawoot.com!

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

or guys on bicycles that look like they have 10 sponsors.
why make me look less of a man in my cut-off sweatpants.