SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
pooflady wrote:Morning, Skek. Why are you up?

Grading... and writing a lab for tomorrow (today). It's gonna be a late night. I might make it to when Gman gets on the boards

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
SkekTek wrote:Grading... and writing a lab for tomorrow (today). It's gonna be a late night. I might make it to when Gman gets on the boards

When is school done? At least this session.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Grading... and writing a lab for tomorrow (today). It's gonna be a late night. I might make it to when Gman gets on the boards

An all nighter? Aren't you too old for that?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

SkekTek

dontwantaname wrote:An all nighter? Aren't you too old for that?

Yes. But all-nighter I go... Semester ends in a week, so I just need to tough it out. You guys (EDIT: ladies/gals/women/whatever the appropriate term is) always help

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Yes. But all-nighter I go... Semester ends in a week, so I just need to tough it out. You guys (EDIT: ladies/gals/women/whatever the appropriate term is) always help

Glad to help.
You moved the fish cam. Too much reflection. I saw endless diplomas on the wall! What did you do, start in preK?

Oh, I meant to ask you. What is going on with the birds this time of year? Every car on the road has been hit by bird poo!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

SkekTek

dontwantaname wrote:Glad to help.
You moved the fish cam. Too much reflection. I saw endless diplomas on the wall! What did you do, start in preK?

Oh, I meant to ask you. What is going on with the birds this time of year? Every car on the road has been hit by bird poo!

Whoops. THat's what I get for opening the windows... endless reflections. I say, I've got to do something about the placement of that tank to make it easier and more consistent. I got an idea... let's see what happens tomorrow. They are awards for research, not diplomas. And yes, it's supposed to look impressive. Counteracts the posters of MST3k the movie and a large photo of Scrat from Ice Age

Birds are back in droves, so poo is naturally going to increase as they wander about looking for nest sites and mates... It'll calm down in a month when they all stop flying around and squat on eggs.

pooflady

SkekTek wrote:Yes. But all-nighter I go... Semester ends in a week, so I just need to tough it out. You guys (EDIT: ladies/gals/women/whatever the appropriate term is) always help

Glad to be of service. So do you figure your fellow professors are also pulling all nighters?

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

pooflady

SkekTek wrote: Whoops. THat's what I get for opening the windows... endless reflections. I say, I've got to do something about the placement of that tank to make it easier and more consistent. I got an idea... let's see what happens tomorrow. They are awards for research, not diplomas. And yes, it's supposed to look impressive. Counteracts the posters of MST3k the movie and a large photo of Scrat from Ice Age

Birds are back in droves, so poo is naturally going to increase as they wander about looking for nest sites and mates... It'll calm down in a month when they all stop flying around and squat on eggs.

One of husbands houses on his bluebird trail has five eggs in it. Hope that frost didn't hurt them.

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:Glad to be of service. So do you figure your fellow professors are also pulling all nighters?

Probably not. I'm the only one with a new class this semester, so I find myself trying to endlessly play catch-up. Plus, I've had to deal with this stubborn cold I'm trying to fight off.

But hey, we just signed away our lives here at home... getting new windows as part of our "been in the house five years and we're sick of crappy stuff" phase. Ordered 7 insulated windows plus new sliding patio door. $4200. Ouch.

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:One of husbands houses on his bluebird trail has five eggs in it. Hope that frost didn't hurt them.

If the mom/dad is still alive, so are the eggs most likely. THey can survive below freezing as long as they're getting sat on and the cold doesn't last longer than 2 days or so.

pooflady

SkekTek wrote:Probably not. I'm the only one with a new class this semester, so I find myself trying to endlessly play catch-up. Plus, I've had to deal with this stubborn cold I'm trying to fight off.

But hey, we just signed away our lives here at home... getting new windows as part of our "been in the house five years and we're sick of crappy stuff" phase. Ordered 7 insulated windows plus new sliding patio door. $4200. Ouch.

of our "been in the house five years and we're sick of crappy stuff" phase. Ordered 7 insulated windows plus new sliding patio door. $4200. Ouch.[/quote]

Oops.

What kind did you get? We're thinking of shopping for our second set of replacement windows. When we moved here, they were the old aluminum casement windows. Finally scraped enough money together to do half the house and then a couple years later, the other half. But these are a prime and storm window. So every time I wash a window, I'm washing two and you have to take them in and out. I'm getting tired of it.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:If the mom/dad is still alive, so are the eggs most likely. THey can survive below freezing as long as they're getting sat on and the cold doesn't last longer than 2 days or so.

I found the page with the picture of the bird you research in Hawaii.
I still think it looks like a sparrow.
So, when I sit in my yard with my newspaper and coffee ( no computer yet, this screen isn't bright enough)
and watch the sparrows at the birdfeeder, I can get a degree? Or would I have to write a paper?
I hated papers.
You are reading the results of three years of writing on the internet. Three years.
You can imagine what I wrote like before.
Can I get half a degree for just the watching part?

How did you get funding to watch sparrows in Hawaii?
They have them in NJ.

//runs and hides from SkekTek

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:Oops.

What kind did you get? We're thinking of shopping for our second set of replacement windows. When we moved here, they were the old aluminum casement windows. Finally scraped enough money together to do half the house and then a couple years later, the other half. But these are a prime and storm window. So every time I wash a window, I'm washing two and you have to take them in and out. I'm getting tired of it.

We also have the drafty aluminum single-pane windows, but they were double hung. The glass is cracked on 1, and another can't open. The outside of several are badly caulked. So it was with pleasure that they're gonna do everything- Remove, replace, and add all the niceties (outside flashing, wood all around the window frame instead of drywall, etc). We went with Window Wizards, and the window type is "Thermal-King". It's the step up from the basic vinyl window, with insulated glass and sashes. They have a buy 2 get 1 free deal always, and they do everything themselves (don't subcontract the work). They guarantee that they'll be done 1 week after they start (and say usually it's 2 days).

EDIT: They also have lifetime replacement (at no cost) if the window ever has a problem (Sticks, things fall off, etc) or ever gets broken (even if it's due to a child throwing something through it) with no pro-rated cost. And it transfers if we sell the house.

pooflady

SkekTek wrote:We also have the drafty aluminum single-pane windows, but they were double hung. The glass is cracked on 1, and another can't open. The outside of several are badly caulked. So it was with pleasure that they're gonna do everything- Remove, replace, and add all the niceties (outside flashing, wood all around the window frame instead of drywall, etc). We went with Window Wizards, and the window type is "Thermal-King". It's the step up from the basic vinyl window, with insulated glass and sashes. They have a buy 2 get 1 free deal always, and they do everything themselves (don't subcontract the work). They guarantee that they'll be done 1 week after they start (and say usually it's 2 days).

EDIT: They also have lifetime replacement (at no cost) if the window ever has a problem (Sticks, things fall off, etc) or ever gets broken (even if it's due to a child throwing something through it) with no pro-rated cost. And it transfers if we sell the house.

My son has that, although you still pay labor to put it in.

When we got the first new windows, we were real excited that there wasn't any ice on the inside of the window.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:We also have the drafty aluminum single-pane windows, but they were double hung. The glass is cracked on 1, and another can't open. The outside of several are badly caulked. So it was with pleasure that they're gonna do everything- Remove, replace, and add all the niceties (outside flashing, wood all around the window frame instead of drywall, etc). We went with Window Wizards, and the window type is "Thermal-King". It's the step up from the basic vinyl window, with insulated glass and sashes. They have a buy 2 get 1 free deal always, and they do everything themselves (don't subcontract the work). They guarantee that they'll be done 1 week after they start (and say usually it's 2 days).

You can do it all yourself, but it takes WAY longer than a week!
Hubby did the entire first round of repairs on the house. Kitchen, bath, windows, siding, gutted the walls, changed the electrical and the most scary, ran a gas pipe.
The house is small.
It still took almost 2 years.

We had someone do the tapeing of the drywall. Hubby is too exact and it would have taken him a year to do the whole first floor.

But, somehow now, he only does the emergency repairs.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:My son has that, although you still pay labor to put it in.

When we got the first new windows, we were real excited that there wasn't any ice on the inside of the window.

Labor is free too.

I'll be happy not to see the condensation when we have the humidifier running, and not hearing every time someone lets the dogs out / has a party / mows / sneezes.

SkekTek

dontwantaname wrote:You can do it all yourself, but it takes WAY longer than a week!
Hubby did the entire first round of repairs on the house. Kitchen, bath, windows, siding, gutted the walls, changed the electrical and the most scary, ran a gas pipe.
The house is small.
It still took almost 2 years.

We had someone do the tapeing of the drywall. Hubby is too exact and it would have taken him a year to do the whole first floor.

But, somehow now, he only does the emergency repairs.

We're leaving the windows to the professionals (along with the garage door) because both are major headaches (and we really don't want to deal with whatever is inside the aluminum flashing on the outside of the winows).

But we're fully intending to pull the natty berber out of the house and replace it with laminate flooring ourselves next summer when the kids learn not to spill fluids and food onto it.

pooflady

SkekTek wrote:Labor is free too.

I'll be happy not to see the condensation when we have the humidifier running, and not hearing every time someone lets the dogs out / has a party / mows / sneezes.

That's great, I haven't heard of anyone getting the free labor. Always thought that was the catch.

pooflady

SkekTek wrote:We're leaving the windows to the professionals (along with the garage door) because both are major headaches (and we really don't want to deal with whatever is inside the aluminum flashing on the outside of the winows).

But we're fully intending to pull the natty berber out of the house and replace it with laminate flooring ourselves next summer when the kids learn not to spill fluids and food onto it.

Your kids are all going to turn 21 by next summer?

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:Your kids are all going to turn 21 by next summer?

No, but the 5-year old is relatively clean, but the 2-year old is a terror- he spills stuff just to watch them bounce/splash off the floor. Took me 1 hour just to get out ground-in applesauce. He also just learned how to open the gates around the house, so we're dealing with a toddler who has also learned the true meaning of freedom as well (I'm not gray, but I'm getting there in a hurry

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Well, I put the rats back. I took the people food dish out.
They are searching for it.
Poor little guys. This vet only fed her rats , rat blocks. I'm reading the book that the vet recomended and it says 80% blocks and 20% fruits and veggies.
Unless you make your own food, but that sounds complicated.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pooflady

SkekTek wrote:No, but the 5-year old is relatively clean, but the 2-year old is a terror- he spills stuff just to watch them bounce/splash off the floor. Took me 1 hour just to get out ground-in applesauce. He also just learned how to open the gates around the house, so we're dealing with a toddler who has also learned the true meaning of freedom as well (I'm not gray, but I'm getting there in a hurry

Kids'll do it to you.

I have Formica laminate in the kitchen and dining room. Not the kind that looks like hardwood. I'm not fond of hardwood floors (I know, blasphemy) and the laminate ones I've seen look kind of fakey. What I have doesn't show many spills and the cleaning instructions are: Wipe with damp mop. But I did have trouble with Formica, I'll never use them again.

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:Kids'll do it to you.

I have Formica laminate in the kitchen and dining room. Not the kind that looks like hardwood. I'm not fond of hardwood floors (I know, blasphemy) and the laminate ones I've seen look kind of fakey. What I have doesn't show many spills and the cleaning instructions are: Wipe with damp mop. But I did have trouble with Formica, I'll never use them again.

What's the cheapest vinyl no-wax flooring you can buy? We have that. People before us in the house decided to try to put a big ol' shine on the floor, so they stripped off the no-wax coating. Then realized their mistake and left it all dull and whatnot. Grr... Though we can't complain really- the house had issues, but we practically STOLE it from the previous owners, who had no clue how much their house was worth. We're probably going to sell it for about $80K more than we paid (50% profit).

Did everyone check out shirt.woot? Fat unicorn- hiLARIOUS!

pooflady

Night all. Tomorrow.

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:Night all. Tomorrow.

Night poof!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Sorry Shek. I'm going too.
Night all!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

SkekTek

dontwantaname wrote:Sorry Shek. I'm going too.
Night all!

Night... just me I guess... that means I'll get off too. Chat later! And the forum is empty until morning...

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Mornin', folks

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

selli

quality posts: 0 Private Messages selli
AZGman wrote:Mornin', folks

Morning. Back to the regular grind today?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

surprising morning today.

Sometime in the night I heard my wife calling the dog (Cletus) back into our bedroom, he had apparently gotten the door open and gone on a little trip into the house.
When I got up to take the dogs out in the morning, I saw poop on the stairway, just a little. "that's not so bad", I thought to myself, considering that he's done far, far worse to the house when he's escaped when we were away from the house.
Apparently he also peed on the bathroom floor, though I missed that, regrettably. ;^)

When I got to the kitchen to take the dogs out, it was like a charnel house.
The 2 trash cans were knocked over, and every bit of stuff that was either edible or had had something with an odor in it from the top of the island and all the kitchen counters was on the floor and torn to bits. Fortunately we have much better habits than we had the last time he did this, and the mess was mostly just damp paper, cardboard, etc. most of our leftover food gets fed to the dogs, so there wasn't a lot of that biodegradable stuff in the trash cans, if any.

Overall, it wasn't nearly the horror that it was the first time he did it, 5 yrs ago, when the whole house looked like a whirlwind had been through it.

Josephus

The first time he did it, we came home from work to it. My wife just cried and cried, and wouldn't come into the house.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer

dang dogs.

morning joe, morning gman, morning selli.

selli

cruzer wrote:dang dogs.

morning joe, morning gman, morning selli.

edit: Never mind. You edited quickly. G'morning.

Josephus

selli wrote:

morning all. he's a handful, no doubt.

daughter went to work with wife. 3 yr old wanted to go too.
9yr old doesn't. he has perfect attendance, and though this would be an excused absence, it would still count to the bureaucratic pricks in the school as an absence. I hate them, sometimes. OK, most of the time.

selli

Josephus wrote:morning all. he's a handful, no doubt.

daughter went to work with wife. 3 yr old wanted to go too.
9yr old doesn't. he has perfect attendance, and though this would be an excused absence, it would still count to the bureaucratic pricks in the school as an absence. I hate them, sometimes. OK, most of the time.

Perfect attendance for just this year or his whole school-life?

Josephus

selli wrote:Perfect attendance for just this year or his whole school-life?

year.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
selli wrote:

Sorry, I knew there was someone else this morning, but I forgot who it was so I went back to add you in.

selli

Josephus wrote:year.

Still an accomplishment. I was just going to give him a standing ovation if he'd made it to 4th (?) grade without missing a day...

selli

cruzer wrote:Sorry, I knew there was someone else this morning, but I forgot who it was so I went back to add you in.

Just trying to give you a hard time. Your yard and flowers looked nice. Looks like a decent size yard - bigger than a postage stamp but not so big that you spend all your free time maintaining it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning everyone.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items