SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Schrobblehead wrote:well said.



Aw carp. I'm out of the fog. The buckyball beat me.

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
SkekTek wrote:Aw carp. I'm out of the fog. The buckyball beat me.



That vacuums. Now the only one in the fog I voted for is Fable's. I don't really like the color combination of the duck, or the duck as a shirt at all really.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
SkekTek wrote:Aw carp. I'm out of the fog. The buckyball beat me.



You are fogged now. damned close though.

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
SkekTek wrote:It's called people justifying their childish behavior. IE- they get all mean and pouty to the usual demographic, and excuse it as "freedom of criticism". It looks more like it is (bad behavior) since it's in the daughter's shirt thread. If this really was a "for big people" contest, there'd be an age limit. There isn't, so people should ST-FU and sit down.



I told my wife about all that this morning and she just wrote something interesting in there.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:I told my wife about all that this morning and she just wrote something interesting in there.


Is your wife jenny78?

EDIT: Or jaf28?

EDIT 2.0: Oops, edited too late.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
superspryte wrote:Is your wife jenny78?



no. jaf28.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:no. jaf28.


Right. I realized but edited my comment too late. ^_^;

I contemplated removing that comment to avoid further flaming...because we don't need any more people stirring stuff up in there. Now that I'm here and have cleaned up the thread I'm keeping a close eye on the comments and will be handing out more probation as necessary. Let's hope nobody gives me a reason. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
superspryte wrote:Right. I realized but edited my comment too late. ^_^;

I contemplated removing that comment to avoid further flaming...because we don't need any more people stirring stuff up in there. Now that I'm here and have cleaned up the thread I'm keeping a close eye on the comments and will be handing out more probation as necessary. Let's hope nobody gives me a reason. ^_^



You're the mod, not me, but I think that responses to negative comments shouldn't be removed, so long as they don't stoop to name-calling or personal attacks, because that IS censorship. Now if the original poster's responses to that post got out of hand those responses would be fair game because their opinion has already been stated and they are just trying to win the argument by out-posting the others with posts of unnecessary nastiness and length. Unless the reader is subjected to language not suitable for children or a lenghty repetitive comment I'd hope that we'd see probation before deletion.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Schrobblehead wrote:That vacuums. Now the only one in the fog I voted for is Fable's. I don't really like the color combination of the duck, or the duck as a shirt at all really.



Fable's got 1st... I can feel it. It's a dead heat between the duck and genome for 2/3. I know I wont get printed, but I want the honor to end up in the fog more than anything.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I just noticed no1 has a strange affinity for posting me in the random quotes thread. So far he is the only one to have done so...and he likes to chop up my text to make it say funny things. Strange bird. Speaking of which, where is he?

EDIT: Oh, I noticed Raining quoted me too. I take it back.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
superspryte wrote:I just noticed no1 has a strange affinity for posting me in the random quotes thread. So far he is the only one to have done so...and he likes to chop up my text to make it say funny things. Strange bird. Speaking of which, where is he?

EDIT: Oh, I noticed Raining quoted me too. I take it back.



You mean she took a break from quoting cruzer?

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
superspryte wrote:Right. I realized but edited my comment too late. ^_^;

I contemplated removing that comment to avoid further flaming...because we don't need any more people stirring stuff up in there. Now that I'm here and have cleaned up the thread I'm keeping a close eye on the comments and will be handing out more probation as necessary. Let's hope nobody gives me a reason. ^_^



Spryte, sometimes I seriously feel bad for you as a mod. Probably would be easier if people who posted stupid stuff would stop getting mad that their stupid/flaming posts get deleted...

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:You're the mod, not me, but I think that responses to negative comments shouldn't be removed, so long as they don't stoop to name-calling or personal attacks, because that IS censorship. Now if the original poster's responses to that post got out of hand those responses would be fair game because their opinion has already been stated and they are just trying to win the argument by out-posting the others with posts of unnecessary nastiness and length. Unless the reader is subjected to language not suitable for children or a lenghty repetitive comment I'd hope that we'd see probation before deletion.


Probation and deletion tend to come together. I usually only leave posts people were probated for when I want it to be known *why* because most probationable posts are deletion material as well.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Spryte, sometimes I seriously feel bad for you as a mod. Probably would be easier if people who posted stupid stuff would stop getting mad that their stupid/flaming posts get deleted...



It's kind of funny when they get all mad that their useless posts are getting deleted. Sometimes they go overboard and start yelling at "the mods" who are being unreasonable and end up getting themselves probation for mod baiting. It's okay to question a mod but don't get carried away. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
superspryte wrote:It's kind of funny when they get all mad that their useless posts are getting deleted. Sometimes they go overboard and start yelling at "the mods" who are being unreasonable and end up getting themselves probation for mod baiting. It's okay to question a mod but don't get carried away. ^_^



Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
superspryte wrote:Probation and deletion tend to come together. I usually only leave posts people were probated for when I want it to be known *why* because most probationable posts are deletion material as well.



But you said you thought about deleting my wife's post, which is clearly not probatable, to avoid fueling the flames... so I am confused. Either way you didn't so I'll drop it.

Edit: Sorry for even having this discussion, I just never understood why comments get deleted. Never cared much either since it never involved me except for a lolcat post in the main derby thread. Which reminds me... why are we getting away with all the ancient computers and computer games discussions? Please don't delete though...

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:But you said you thought about deleting my wife's post, which is clearly not probatable, to avoid fueling the flames... so I am confused. Either way you didn't so I'll drop it.


It's a little close to deletable material. I wouldn't probate for it because reading that thread reasonably will cause irritation but I do think it's bordering on deletable. Why? Because of the tone. But if I delete that I will have to delete most of the thread, which I think needs to stay.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Schrobblehead wrote:But you said you thought about deleting my wife's post, which is clearly not probatable, to avoid fueling the flames... so I am confused. Either way you didn't so I'll drop it.

Edit: Sorry for even having this discussion, I just never understood why comments get deleted. Never cared much either since it never involved me except for a lolcat post in the main derby thread. Which reminds me... why are we getting away with all the ancient computers and computer games discussions? Please don't delete though...


Because a little variation is okay if it appears to be related to the entries. I usually only delete offensive or grossly off-topic posts. And duplicate posts.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:



<3

I want laser-beams that can shoot out of my eyes too.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
superspryte wrote:It's a little close to deletable material. I wouldn't probate for it because reading that thread reasonably will cause irritation but I do think it's bordering on deletable. Why? Because of the tone. But if I delete that I will have to delete most of the thread, which I think needs to stay.



Well, thanks for explaining. If you watch much NFL football, you've probably seen situations where the first player to throw a punch gets fined after the game, but the guy who retaliates gets ejected. Woot kinda feels like that sometimses.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:Well, thanks for explaining. If you watch much NFL football, you've probably seen situations where the first player to throw a punch gets fined after the game, but the guy who retaliates gets ejected. Woot kinda feels like that sometimses.



Heh, I get it.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
superspryte wrote:<3

I want laser-beams that can shoot out of my eyes too.



Thx. I'm not the person who did the majority of the work on the gif (that's a woot gif that predates me by a bunch), but I tweaked it quite a bit. I love it.

Maybe you can suggest the lasers as perhaps a wootoff item

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Schrobblehead wrote:Well, thanks for explaining. If you watch much NFL football, you've probably seen situations where the first player to throw a punch gets fined after the game, but the guy who retaliates gets ejected. Woot kinda feels like that sometimses.



or, in parenting terms, when a kid is teasing another, and then the teasee bites the teaser, they get it the most trouble. Or maybe the biting/hitting only happens here?

Schrobble, I love your wife's comments. I just can't spend any more energy on that thread, but I will try to remember to PM her. What is so hard is that there are valid points, and I'm trying to be objective.

I grew up in Ala-Teen, and there was a phrase which I use with my kids: "Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean" (ok, it should be "meanly", but ah well). I wish more people lived by those rules. I may not like the tone of some of the posts, but bluchez had some very valid design critiques that I agree with, along with others.

I just wish it hadn't turned into a free-for-all. Honestly Spryte, if I thought it would do this, I never would have allowed her to post it! I expected some criticism, but not this. I never wanted to give the poor mods *more* work! I can (usually) see why you have to delete responses to deleted posts - I've been on boards where they don't, and it is completely confusing to read the thread when you only see one half of a discussion.

I don't know if kls reads here, but her post was wonderful. need to do a pm to her, too. Made me feel like an over-emotional female though, bringing me to tears...

Meanwhile, I need to focus on getting some work done so I can get paid (woo-hoo! my paychecks are in amazon dollars! better than beerz!), and so I can save up some energy for tomorrow. Today is better than yesterday, and tomorrow I'm running errands for my friend with the very sick son (possibly Lupus, but still undx).

Oh, Skek, we are a 1-car family, so I totally get the hard time dealing with work and driving kids! We live just up the hill from the beach & a park, so my scooter is used for days when my husband takes the car to work. I can't walk up the hill right now.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead

If anyone is interested in some Japanese pop art, I just read a cool slide-essay on Takashi Murakami on slate.com: http://www.slate.com/id/2189099/slideshow/2189062/

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
mia3mom wrote:Oh, Skek, we are a 1-car family, so I totally get the hard time dealing with work and driving kids! We live just up the hill from the beach & a park, so my scooter is used for days when my husband takes the car to work. I can't walk up the hill right now.



We're gonna donate the car to Purple Heart. Anyone here do that before? I'll post this on the charity thread too...

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

SkekTek wrote:We're gonna donate the car to Purple Heart. Anyone here do that before? I'll post this on the charity thread too...



Hubs donated his 1979 'lude to Salvation Army. It was a lovely tax write-off. AND it got rid of that useless eyesore (sorry dear).


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
superspryte wrote:blah blah blah no1 blah blah blah



I was going to say something, but...

superspryte wrote:blah blah blah I take it back.



...nevermind.

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
SkekTek wrote:We're gonna donate the car to Purple Heart. Anyone here do that before? I'll post this on the charity thread too...



we donated a volvo (for a different charity, but I think they all work the same way), and now have our almost-200,000 mile Saturn in our driveway waiting for me to find the title & donate. It was *very* easy. Just needed to give them the keys & the title, then sign the paperwork. They towed it off. Happy happy!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

PemberDucky wrote:Hubs donated his 1979 'lude to Salvation Army. It was a lovely tax write-off. AND it got rid of that useless eyesore (sorry dear).



I was just reminded that while the tow-away service worked out well and all that, several months after he donated the car, my husband was notified by the authorities that his 1979 Prelude had been found sitting on cinder blocks in a not-so-nice part of town. We never quite figured out how things went down; whether it was stolen from the Salvation Army or something shady happened. I completely forgot about that part.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
PemberDucky wrote:I was just reminded that while the tow-away service worked out well and all that, several months after he donated the car, my husband was notified by the authorities that his 1979 Prelude had been found sitting on cinder blocks in a not-so-nice part of town. We never quite figured out how things went down; whether it was stolen from the Salvation Army or something shady happened. I completely forgot about that part.



weird.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

Movie idea: "Salvation Army of Darkness"

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I guess I should go and see if I made the fog cut

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:



I haven't seen that smilie since I became a mod.
Somehow I like it a lot better now!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:I haven't seen that smilie since I became a mod.
Somehow I like it a lot better now!


Ms. Name,
Due to Prof. Tek's talents at illustrating motion. I expect greatness from him in the next Derby.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
no1 wrote:Ms. Name,
Due to Prof. Tek's talents at illustrating motion. I expect greatness from him in the next Derby.



Why thank you! That's very kind. Just finished a lab practical, and during that I got my preliminary sketches done for the dude's upper body and skateboard. I'll try to get the lower part done tonight and tomorrow morning for an on-time submit. Looks good so far.