JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee

Someone close to me is working on a project that we hope will be a great resource for people with Multiple Sclerosis. Please indulge me as I use this forum to try to get the word out...I do not intend for this to be spam. So many of us know people with Multiple Sclerosis that I thought this might be a good way to spread the word.

Amy has had MS for 20 years. During that time she has discovered that in the process of trying to learn more about what is happening to her, she finds information that is sometimes more scary than helpful. MS is different for each person who has it. Some worst-case scenarios will never happen to some individuals, but it can be very disturbing to come across this kind of information by accident.

As a result, she has set out to create a website to allow those with MS to learn about their experience on their own terms. It is called MS SoftServe. The mission of MS SoftServe is to help people with Multiple Sclerosis embark on a lifetime of learning -- helping them better understand their individual experience with MS through anxiety-free access to information, resources and support. This site is designed so that the user will have the opportunity to learn in a meaningful way; a way that can be controlled.

This is a non-profit organization, and the site is still under construction. Right now Amy is looking for feedback, donations, and corporate sponsors. These sponsors are very interested in how many hits the site is getting, how many people have viewed her videos on YouTube, etc. If you have any interest at all, or know someone with MS, it would be great if you would visit the site, Amy's YouTube videos, or her Wordpress Blog, in which she discusses both the development of MS SoftServe and her own personal experience with MS. Please forward these links to anyone who would benefit from a site like MS SoftServe.

http://www.mssoftserve.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Nc1JbgcU4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey5lLVyH1bY&feature=user
http://mslol.wordpress.com/

Sorry this was so long. This project is very near and dear to us, and every "hit" helps! Thanks!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

JoeDeeDee wrote:Someone close to me is working on a project that we hope will be a great resource for people with Multiple Sclerosis. Please indulge me as I use this forum to try to get the word out...I do not intend for this to be spam. So many of us know people with Multiple Sclerosis that I thought this might be a good way to spread the word.

Amy has had MS for 20 years. During that time she has discovered that in the process of trying to learn more about what is happening to her, she finds information that is sometimes more scary than helpful. MS is different for each person who has it. Some worst-case scenarios will never happen to some individuals, but it can be very disturbing to come across this kind of information by accident.

As a result, she has set out to create a website to allow those with MS to learn about their experience on their own terms. It is called MS SoftServe. The mission of MS SoftServe is to help people with Multiple Sclerosis embark on a lifetime of learning -- helping them better understand their individual experience with MS through anxiety-free access to information, resources and support. This site is designed so that the user will have the opportunity to learn in a meaningful way; a way that can be controlled.

This is a non-profit organization, and the site is still under construction. Right now Amy is looking for feedback, donations, and corporate sponsors. These sponsors are very interested in how many hits the site is getting, how many people have viewed her videos on YouTube, etc. If you have any interest at all, or know someone with MS, it would be great if you would visit the site, Amy's YouTube videos, or her Wordpress Blog, in which she discusses both the development of MS SoftServe and her own personal experience with MS. Please forward these links to anyone who would benefit from a site like MS SoftServe.

Sorry this was so long. This project is very near and dear to us, and every "hit" helps! Thanks!

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Thread is slowly dying.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

JoeDeeDee wrote:Someone close to me is working on a project that we hope will be a great resource for people with Multiple Sclerosis. Please indulge me as I use this forum to try to get the word out...I do not intend for this to be spam. So many of us know people with Multiple Sclerosis that I thought this might be a good way to spread the word.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:Thread is slowly dying.

If nothing else, let this thread be a reminder that kindness for others in need is not a bad thing.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

Bump, because Ms. Name is too lazy to do it.

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
dontwantaname wrote:

d'name, thanks for bumping the info on MS SoftServe for me!

edit: and no1, thanks for bumping the whole thread!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

JoeDeeDee wrote:d'name, thanks for bumping the info on MS SoftServe for me!

edit: and no1, thanks for bumping the whole thread!

Don't thank him, he was just burying his new thread!
If he didn't bump this thread I would have posted in his!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

This seems to be the only charity anyone on woot has.
so
bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

whatsthis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whatsthis
dontwantaname wrote:This seems to be the only charity anyone on woot has.
so
bump

amen

soothedbyrainfall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soothedbyrainfall

Recently, two of my friends were the victims of a senseless and horrific crime. The quote below is taken from stattswilliams.com

On Saturday, June 28th, at around 3:00 a.m., Jason Statts and Dave Williams were needlessly shot while arriving at a friend’s house on East 48th Street. They had just finished playing their first show as Sürt {the destroyer} at the Live Wire on River Street. A single bullet went through Jason’s neck and lodged in Dave’s neck. Their injuries are very serious and both guys have a long and painful recovery ahead of them.

The purpose of this website is to raise money to assist with expenses incurred during Jason’s and Dave’s recovery process. Due to the nature of their injuries and the continued care they will need for the foreseeable future, their bills will add up quickly and overwhelmingly. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated and will help ease the financial burden facing both families. This was a senseless, violent act; the attackers didn’t even rob either victim. The fact that it happened on a quiet, tree-lined street in Ardsley Park makes it even more unbelievable. Please give whatever you can.

Jason and Dave are two of the sweetest, funniest, most talented fellows you could ever hope to know. Please help if you can by donating via the paypal link on stattswilliams.com. Thank you.

soothedbyrainfall.net

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

soothedbyrainfall wrote:Recently, two of my friends were the victims of a senseless and horrific crime. The quote below is taken from stattswilliams.com

On Saturday, June 28th, at around 3:00 a.m., Jason Statts and Dave Williams were needlessly shot while arriving at a friend’s house on East 48th Street. They had just finished playing their first show as Sürt {the destroyer} at the Live Wire on River Street. A single bullet went through Jason’s neck and lodged in Dave’s neck. Their injuries are very serious and both guys have a long and painful recovery ahead of them.

The purpose of this website is to raise money to assist with expenses incurred during Jason’s and Dave’s recovery process. Due to the nature of their injuries and the continued care they will need for the foreseeable future, their bills will add up quickly and overwhelmingly. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated and will help ease the financial burden facing both families. This was a senseless, violent act; the attackers didn’t even rob either victim. The fact that it happened on a quiet, tree-lined street in Ardsley Park makes it even more unbelievable. Please give whatever you can.

Jason and Dave are two of the sweetest, funniest, most talented fellows you could ever hope to know. Please help if you can by donating via the paypal link on stattswilliams.com. Thank you.

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Someone must have something.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AlienResearchGrpHome wrote:
Please be a part of the cure.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

whatsthis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whatsthis
dontwantaname wrote:bump

go up

terrybatey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages terrybatey

If you have any cell phones around the home that you are no longer planning on using you may want to donate to this...

http://www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com/shippingLabel_generic.html

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Charity....someone must have one!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

What To Do When A Charity Calls
The Federal "do-not-call" legislation has allowed most Americans to finally enjoy dinner in peace without being hassled by unwanted phone calls from telemarketers. You may not realize, however, that when Congress passed the do-not-call legislation, they exempted themselves (and all other politicians) as well as nonprofit organizations. Since most telemarketing firms have lost for-profit accounts as a result of these laws, many are turning to nonprofit organizations for new business.
In an effort to assist donors bombarded by telephone appeals on behalf of charities, Charity Navigator offers the following tips to help you handle the next call you receive.

Find Out Who's Calling
Many phone calls soliciting charitable donations come from for-profit professional telemarketers that keep a sizable portion of your donation for themselves and don't really care about the cause they're promoting. Find out if the person with whom you are speaking works for a telemarketing company or is a volunteer or employee of the charity itself.

Ask Where Your Donation Goes
Professional, for-profit telemarketers typically negotiate their fees ahead of time and know exactly how much of every dollar raised goes to the charity and how much stays with the telemarketer. Companies often charge the charity 20 to 90 cents of each dollar raised. Ask the person on the other end of the line to tell you how much of your donation will actually end up with the charity. By law, they must tell you.

Get It In Writing
Ask the person calling to send you a copy of the charity's annual report or a brochure describing its mission and accomplishments. Effective and efficient charities are proud of their accomplishments and are able to provide written materials describing their mission, program accomplishments, and financial information.

Do Some Research
Begin by checking to see if the charity contacting you is one of the over 5,000 charities that Charity Navigator rates. Charity Navigator's ratings provide clear, objective, and reliable assessments of the financial health of charities. Givers can be confident that in supporting those charities rated highly by Charity Navigator, they will be supporting organizations that are fiscally responsible and financially healthy. If someone contacts you soliciting a donation for a charity that Charity Navigator does not currently rate you can request a copy of the organization's IRS form 990. Federal law requires nonprofit organizations to provide their last 3 IRS form 990s (tax returns) and their IRS form 1023 (application for tax exemption) within 30 days of your request. (Read our guide for additional tips on how to Evaluate Charities Not Currently Rated by Charity Navigator)

Eliminate The Middleman
If you determine that the charity calling you is one you wish to support, contact them and find out how to donate to the charity directly and avoid having part of your donation taken by a for-profit company.
Additional Tips:

Never give out credit card, bank account, or other personal information over the phone.
Beware of "sound alike" organizations that have names similar to responsible, reputable charities. Don't be swayed merely by a benevolent-sounding name.
Remember that you have the right to end the phone call whenever you wish. You should never feel coerced into giving
See also Charity Navigator's 6 Questions To Ask Charities Before Donating.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Hi everyone. As most of you noticed this week, my friend's 2 1/2 year old daughter died of leukemia on Tuesday. Her parents have asked that donations be given to the charities that helped make her four month battle a little easier. Since I can't do anything for them right now, I am sharing those charities and foundations with you all.
From her Father:

In lieu of flowers, donations in Lillian’s honor can be made to one of the many organizations that helped provide some fun to Lillian through her battle – B.A.S.E. Camp Children’s Cancer Foundation, basecamp.org; Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation, candlelighters.org; Hope for Henry Foundation, hopeforhenry.org; or Nathaniel’s Hope, nathanielshope.org. A scholarship fund in Lillian’s name has also been set up with the Idaho 4-H Endowment Fund, 4h.uidaho.edu.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

KtCallista wrote:Hi everyone. As most of you noticed this week, my friend's 2 1/2 year old daughter died of leukemia on Tuesday. Her parents have asked that donations be given to the charities that helped make her four month battle a little easier. Since I can't do anything for them right now, I am sharing those charities and foundations with you all.
From her Father:

In lieu of flowers, donations in Lillian’s honor can be made to one of the many organizations that helped provide some fun to Lillian through her battle – B.A.S.E. Camp Children’s Cancer Foundation, basecamp.org; Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation, candlelighters.org; Hope for Henry Foundation, hopeforhenry.org; or Nathaniel’s Hope, nathanielshope.org. A scholarship fund in Lillian’s name has also been set up with the Idaho 4-H Endowment Fund, 4h.uidaho.edu.

check links in original post

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

please go up two posts to find the last real post with the working links.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

faughtey

quality posts: 20 Private Messages faughtey

Staff

My wonderful aunt who never met a stranger has Alzheimer's. My cousin is participating in The Alzheimer's Memory Walk which raises money for research, care, and support for people with Alzheimer's. Here is the link. Thank you!
http://chicagomemorywalk.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=265838&u=265838-229411660&e=1847342224

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

faughtey wrote:My wonderful aunt who never met a stranger has Alzheimer's. My cousin is participating in The Alzheimer's Memory Walk which raises money for research, care, and support for people with Alzheimer's. Here is the link. Thank you!
http://chicagomemorywalk.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=265838&u=265838-229411660&e=1847342224

bump...give blood

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Hey Woody! Come back and say hI!
Post a charity!
The other thread got screwed up when the code slaves did something that made all the threads that were started in 04 and 05 and were still being used , get scrambled up. All the post got mixed up and if you posted, it could go anywhere.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

faughtey wrote:My wonderful aunt who never met a stranger has Alzheimer's. My cousin is participating in The Alzheimer's Memory Walk which raises money for research, care, and support for people with Alzheimer's. Here is the link. Thank you!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
pblgov wrote:Please vote to help

http://www.sturge-weber.org/

Thanks

OK, I voted, you have to register as a guest member to vote!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks

Voting for Pblgov's charity is only until Sept 1.
There are 2 ways to register...give them you amex card #, which I didn't want to do...or sign up without it.
I voted as a non card member.

COME ON EVERYONE VOTE!!!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks

Only 2 more days to vote for pblgov's charity.
Vote counts just as much if you don't tell them you have a amex card.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks

One more day to vote.

Please vote.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

http://www.sturge-weber.org/ For pblgov

For ARGH

AlienResearchGrpHome wrote:
Please be a part of the cure.

Lets help keep all our little wooters happy and healthy!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:http://www.sturge-weber.org/ For pblgov

For ARGH

Lets help keep all our little wooters happy and healthy!

night all

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pblgov wrote:Please

Thanks

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

You can still donate!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I guess the thread has run it course.
Unless someone has a new charity.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!