ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ahhhhhhhh, got my back cracked over lunch. Then Schlotsky's for a sammich.

Still sleepy though.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
AttilaTheMom wrote:Good luck to you. I'm so busy with end of semester papers and carp I haven't looked much. Egad I hate writing boring papers. (I need 4 pages on the effects of altruism on principal-agent models, by tomorrow. Anyone? Anyone??)

But on that only slightly related note, I have a new favorite threadless shirt.

Thanks! A paper on altruism doesn't sound that bad. The poli-sci aspect sounds like a nightmare (but then politics isn't my thing). (assuming google gave me the right answer to what a principal-agent model is)

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
daj59 wrote:Ahhhhhhhh, got my back cracked over lunch.

cccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkk

ThunderThighs

Staff

cruzer wrote:cccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkk

I'm supposed to go to a neighborhood meeting tonight. I think I might bail on it and just hear about it from someone else.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
daj59 wrote:

I'm supposed to go to a neighborhood meeting tonight. I think I might bail on it and just hear about it from someone else.

happy nappy tuesday?

ThunderThighs

Staff

cruzer wrote:happy nappy tuesday?

It would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

FORUM MODERATOR

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

I'd like people to share what kind of olive oil they use and why. I've been using ordinary olive oil for grilling and sauteeing, and extra virgin for marinades. But do I want all Italian olives, Greek olives, first press and a bunch of other things on labels that I don't know if it's good or they just want me to pay more.

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, why do so many recipes call for butter to be added to olive oil for sauteeing?

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
pooflady wrote:I'd like people to share what kind of olive oil they use and why. I've been using ordinary olive oil for grilling and sauteeing, and extra virgin for marinades. But do I want all Italian olives, Greek olives, first press and a bunch of other things on labels that I don't know if it's good or they just want me to pay more.

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: Also, why do so many recipes call for butter to be added to olive oil for sauteeing?

The olive oil, heated properly, cooks the food; the butter adds an enriching flavor.

I only use virgin olive oil . . . Greek or Italian is a matter of taste . . . extra virgin olive oil (I think) can tolerate higher cooking temps without scorching, while not over-saturating the foods . . . (speaking from experience, not culinary fact.)

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Okay; library time . . . see y'all tomorrey.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

pooflady

AZGman wrote:The olive oil, heated properly, cooks the food; the butter adds an enriching flavor.

I only use virgin olive oil . . . Greek or Italian is a matter of taste . . . extra virgin olive oil (I think) can tolerate higher cooking temps without scorching, while not over-saturating the foods . . . (speaking from experience, not culinary fact.)

"heated properly"?

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
pooflady wrote:

butter alone has too high of a smoke point for cooking most foods, but it has extra flavor. So you add the olive oil to increase the smoke point. With a mixture you get optimum cooking and flavor.

If you're allergic to dairy, a dairy-free (tasty) margarine works great in place of the butter. You can also only use olive oil.

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
pooflady wrote:"heated properly"?

Lady Poof,

I'm guessing he means "careful not to burn the oil." I think extra-virgin olive oil has a lower smoke point than the more slutty olive oils.

Either that, or he means "it's hard to cook with cold oil."

ThunderThighs

Staff

At least Smackie killed the thread this time.

I left work about 20 minutes early and went home to nap. Good long nap. Skipped the meeting. Feeling a bit better.

Anyone around? I'm watching Hell's Kitchen.

FORUM MODERATOR

pooflady

Thanks all for the help with olive oil. If anyone else has anything else to add, I'll be glad to hear it.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Thanks all for the help with olive oil. If anyone else has anything else to add, I'll be glad to hear it.

I have never heard oil referred to as slutty.

FORUM MODERATOR

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
daj59 wrote:I have never heard oil referred to as slutty.

Ms. Daj,

How should I have referred to the olive oils which were not as virtuous as "extra virgin?"

pooflady

no1 wrote:Ms. Daj,

How should I have referred to the olive oils which were not as virtuous as "extra virgin?"

Or even just plain virgin? Used?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Lightly experienced?

FORUM MODERATOR

ThunderThighs

Staff

Teased, yet unfulfilled?

FORUM MODERATOR

pooflady

Ruffled?

zea3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zea3

extra non-virgin

Hi folks!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

zea3 wrote:extra non-virgin

Hi folks!

Hi zea!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

zea3

dontwantaname wrote:Hi zea!

Hi D'name! How has your day been?

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

zea3 wrote:Hi D'name! How has your day been?

Ordered a bunch of stuff from Petco...online sale, and I special code for Mothers Day that gave another 10% and free shipping and a free tote bag (one of those grocry store like bags).
Then went to costco, which had none of the things I went for.
Oh well.
One good shopping experience and one waste of time.
How was your day?

Oh, and I did some chores in the rain, because the weather report said it would rain all day....but it stopped after I got home!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

zea3

dontwantaname wrote:Ordered a bunch of stuff from Petco...online sale, and I special code for Mothers Day that gave another 10% and free shipping and a free tote bag (one of those grocry store like bags).
Then went to costco, which had none of the things I went for.
Oh well.
One good shopping experience and one waste of time.
How was your day?

Oh, and I did some chores in the rain, because the weather report said it would rain all day....but it stopped after I got home!

I went shopping Saturday looking for clothes and shoes and found nothing. I went to the mall and to Target. I didn't even see anything to tempt me into trying it on.

pooflady

zea3 wrote:I went shopping Saturday looking for clothes and shoes and found nothing. I went to the mall and to Target. I didn't even see anything to tempt me into trying it on.

Hi, Zea and D'name. I went to Sam's today and got very little. How come Wal-Mart carries Sam's Club brand but Sam's doesn't?

zea3

pooflady wrote:Hi, Zea and D'name. I went to Sam's today and got very little. How come Wal-Mart carries Sam's Club brand but Sam's doesn't?

Hi Poof! That is an interesting question. Hmmm...

EDIT: I think the Sam's club house brand is "Maker's Mark".

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

zea3 wrote:I went shopping Saturday looking for clothes and shoes and found nothing. I went to the mall and to Target. I didn't even see anything to tempt me into trying it on.

Yeah, I have to bring most of what I got at costco back.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Hi, Zea and D'name. I went to Sam's today and got very little. How come Wal-Mart carries Sam's Club brand but Sam's doesn't?

To annoy you?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I wonder why the gods made everyone's sig line a scroll?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

Back from walkies. Hi Zea, Dname.

We've spoiled Chester[ina], the large white duck in the park. We take him [now we think a her] bread on many walks. S/he sees us coming and starts waddling to us and quacking. S/he was upset tonight because didn't bring any.

FORUM MODERATOR

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:I wonder why the gods made everyone's sig line a scroll?

AARRRRRRRRRRr, when I wrote it ,they were all a scroll and now none of them are!!!!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Now they are again.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:I wonder why the gods made everyone's sig line a scroll?

I don't see anything different than the usual scrolls on long sigs. Not yours, mine, zeas, or poofs.

FORUM MODERATOR

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

daj59 wrote:I don't see anything different than the usual scrolls on long sigs. Not yours, mine, zeas, or poofs.

Check. It comes and goes with each post. Even small ones like Poof.
Right before I posted this, they were fine.
This might be the strangest woot quirk yet.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

dontwantaname wrote:Check. It comes and goes with each post. Even small ones like Poof.
Right before I posted this, they were fine.
This might be the strangest woot quirk yet.

Nope, not seeing it. I wonder if it's a mod thing since you have more "features."

FORUM MODERATOR

zea3

dontwantaname wrote:Yeah, I have to bring most of what I got at costco back.

My mom does that a lot, buys stuff w/o trying it on. Then she doesn't want to take it back, so she gives it to me or my sister. I get a lot of my clothes that way!

zea3

daj59 wrote:I don't see anything different than the usual scrolls on long sigs. Not yours, mine, zeas, or poofs.

Hi Daj! For me the bottom 2 or 3 sigs were cut in half but no scroll bar. Then it all went back to normal.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

zea3 wrote:My mom does that a lot, buys stuff w/o trying it on. Then she doesn't want to take it back, so she gives it to me or my sister. I get a lot of my clothes that way!

You can't try on at costco. Then there is this one person who works trying to keep the clothes neat, which is a useless job if there ever was one. She yells if you try on anything at all, which just leads to taking clothes and trying them on in other parts of the store.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

daj59 wrote:Nope, not seeing it. I wonder if it's a mod thing since you have more "features."

Only yours stays the same. I even moved the print onto the same line as the mice, but it still splits.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!