bluchez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez

Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

Please vote for my nice simple diagram of the production process.

mia3mom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
SkekTek wrote:Here's the animal design- I'm thinking it looks too contrived, but I need to share it since I worked on it for 2 hours. The idea is Little Green Animals (Martian Life). EDIT: Amazingly, it's only 5 colors, and could be 4 if I spend time making one shade transparent to show the shirt.

I'm working on another idea though that should be more popular: think of it as a rechargeable battery theme...

this is such a fun entry! it'll definitely have my vote when entered. great recycling

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
mia3mom wrote:I was trying to figure out what to make for this derby, and I decided on aliens, nature, flowers, and jealousy.

I think its one of my best designs. I will always love my herding revolution, though.

Green means nature, growth, jealousy, and aliens. The alien ship comes down from the skies, and waters one flower, and one alone. That flower thrives, with greenery gathering around it. The non-watered flower is green with jealousy, watching the other flower grow.

Many of the designs in the derby don't actually deal with green as a concept. I really appreciate all the disparate concepts of green you incorporated into one design. I tried to do the same thing in mine.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mia3mom

crayzass1 wrote:if i could change my name on here i would. when i signed up for woot i never planned on being part of the community, but things change!

you can email them and ask. they've changed a few people's usernames at their request.

I think it's less problematic than asking for an un-rejection, but more troublesome than doing nothing.

or you could just create another acct, but that wouldn't have the purchases & comment totals

mia3mom

We just had the best mail delivery ever.

check out this flickr series

we lurve JadenKale, she is a great designer and so nice. so go buy her shirt. Who else can make a kid squeal so much that my ears are ringing? Other than the great summer design, there's a bonus, with the girls dressed in Oh Burned!!! I won't lose them very easily!

And in derby news, um, I'm really proud of my design.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct

Eat your greens before they eat you!

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
bluchez wrote:Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

Please vote for my nice simple diagram of the production process.

Perfect gift for the movie geeks out there...

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

Hope the Ducky is enjoying her birthday.

Pretty quiet around these parts for a Derby Friday.

illuminator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator

Anywho... how's everybody doing? I've been stuck at home all day with a really bad cold that's been going on for four days... got to skip work though :D

SaritaBeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SaritaBeth

ok I am irritated. someone totally stole my idea. or a major part of it. I am getting ready to finish up my submission, and someone stole it. what are the chances that mine will be rejected, even though i posted my idea first in the derby thread?

and another Edgar gets printed:

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

http://cameesa.com/buy/design/168/fiction-vs-non-fiction

no1

SaritaBeth wrote:ok I am irritated. someone totally stole my idea. or a major part of it. I am getting ready to finish up my submission, and someone stole it. what are the chances that mine will be rejected, even though i posted my idea first in the derby thread?

I don't know what the official policy is, but you could "tattle" on the other entry, referencing your post in the Derby thread. Wootstaff and mods should be able to see posting and editing times. (Mabe don't edit your original Derby post so the last edit shows up as before the other entry was posted).

Keep in mind that parallel thought processes aren't that uncommon. It may be just coinkydink. Often when that happens someone will say "great minds think alike." What derby entry and what derby post?

SaritaBeth

no1 wrote:I don't know what the official policy is, but you could "tattle" on the other entry, referencing your post in the Derby thread. Wootstaff and mods should be able to see posting and editing times. (Mabe don't edit your original Derby post so the last edit shows up as before the other entry was posted).

Keep in mind that parallel thought processes aren't that uncommon. It may be just coinkydink. Often when that happens someone will say "great minds think alike." What derby entry and what derby post?

well, its possible. i don't know if this person is a consistent contributor or not. http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=17263
and I posted in the derby thread for this derby my idea of a melting earth ice cream cone, but adding an alien baby coveting it, but with the title "the real danger of global warming" maybe its just coincidence. I just find it rather startling, and I am hoping mine doesn't get rejected, considering i posted my idea immediately when the derby was announced, and posted something last night here with a rough draft of my cone. it just kind of ticks me off, the similarity. and hopefully they are not copying, but just thinking of the same thing.

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

no1

SaritaBeth wrote:well, its possible. i don't know if this person is a consistent contributor or not. http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=17263
and I posted in the derby thread for this derby my idea of a melting earth ice cream cone, but adding an alien baby coveting it, but with the title "the real danger of global warming" maybe its just coincidence. I just find it rather startling, and I am hoping mine doesn't get rejected, considering i posted my idea immediately when the derby was announced, and posted something last night here with a rough draft of my cone. it just kind of ticks me off, the similarity. and hopefully they are not copying, but just thinking of the same thing.

When you submit your entry, put the relevant info and a link to your original post in the description/justification box. If you're really ticked off, you can tattle on the other entry too.

intaglio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intaglio

hey all,

thought i'd stop by to share my submission "Photosynthesis"

thanks!

SaritaBeth

ok. this is almost the final design. I am not happy about the ice cream cone. feedback anyone?

oh and its another collaboration with my son and I. he did the alien. oh but I am a proud mama! XD

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

SaritaBeth

actually, I think I am gonna scrap the ice cream cone earth thing. we came up with a better idea. planets as environmentally friendly baby toys :P

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

I have one or 2 more coming up when I can finish it L O L Have fun with them :

eHalcyon

no1 wrote:Hope the Ducky is enjoying her birthday.

Pretty quiet around these parts for a Derby Friday.

I blame Skek for not being here. Apparently he is the life of the party.

You know no1, you become rather helpful when it gets quiet. I don't know if that makes you more or less awesome. But I guess you are still awesome, more or less.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

I will be largely absent again today because instead of funeral and wedding I have work and a going away party (mine). See you guys late...or tomorrow. ^_^

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08

Got up this morning and made a batch of my prize-winning cinnamon rolls. They're the ooey-gooey, caramel-saucy, nutty-sugary, super-cinnamony kind.

(You think Cinnabons are good? You haven't bitten into my buns yet, baby!)

When I go home to my mom's house for family gatherings and make them, a dozen big ones can disappear within about 10 minutes. I'm going to have half of one now with a big cup o' tea and then drive over to the Farmer's Market and buy the week's veggies and meat so I can make utterly divine soup, hearty stew, and savory mini-loaves.

I love my life.

Hope everyone's entries are doing well. This week my energies are turned toward the indescribably satisfying art of feeding people good - make that great - food.

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24

Green Thumb

It's Your Lucky Day

SaritaBeth

testing one two three

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

eHalcyon

SaritaBeth wrote:testing one two three

Testing what now?

By the way, the link on the third image in your signature is incorrect. You have an extra forward slash at the end that's throwing it off.

SaritaBeth

eHalcyon wrote:Testing what now?

By the way, the link on the third image in your signature is incorrect. You have an extra forward slash at the end that's throwing it off.

llo i was testing the signature stuff. I think i finally got it right. I can't decide which butterfly version I like better. little up in the corner, or across the bottom large. I submitted both, figuring I would delete whichever one got less votes, but they were getting exactly the same amount XD now the larger version is ahead by one..but I am not sure yet. I think I will give it a little longer than delete the one that is getting less votes. though in truth it doesn't really matter. its not like I am suddenly going to be making a push for hotness or anything XD

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

eHalcyon

SaritaBeth wrote:llo i was testing the signature stuff. I think i finally got it right. I can't decide which butterfly version I like better. little up in the corner, or across the bottom large. I submitted both, figuring I would delete whichever one got less votes, but they were getting exactly the same amount XD now the larger version is ahead by one..but I am not sure yet. I think I will give it a little longer than delete the one that is getting less votes. though in truth it doesn't really matter. its not like I am suddenly going to be making a push for hotness or anything XD

When you update your signature, you don't need to make a new post to see it. It'll update the signature in every one of your posts, so you just need to find one of your old posts. If it hasn't changed, just give it some time.

I just noticed that your alien link is also wrong. Only your first image link works properly. Click them and see for yourself. It's the forward slash (/) at the end of the other two links that's messing it up.

dekonstruct

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
SaritaBeth wrote:llo i was testing the signature stuff. I think i finally got it right. I can't decide which butterfly version I like better. little up in the corner, or across the bottom large. I submitted both, figuring I would delete whichever one got less votes, but they were getting exactly the same amount XD now the larger version is ahead by one..but I am not sure yet. I think I will give it a little longer than delete the one that is getting less votes. though in truth it doesn't really matter. its not like I am suddenly going to be making a push for hotness or anything XD

That sounds like way too much work for a derby, but then again I like it quick and dirty.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
mia3mom wrote:We just had the best mail delivery ever.

check out this flickr series

we lurve JadenKale, she is a great designer and so nice. so go buy her shirt. Who else can make a kid squeal so much that my ears are ringing? Other than the great summer design, there's a bonus, with the girls dressed in Oh Burned!!! I won't lose them very easily!

And in derby news, um, I'm really proud of my design.

I have always liked JK. I love when good people do good things.

SaritaBeth

@ehalcyon- thanks! I was wondering about the linky things. learn a new thing everyday n_n

dekonstruct wrote:That sounds like way too much work for a derby, but then again I like it quick and dirty.

well, its cause I am bored, in a waiting mode, and learning how to do new things. llo. I have been teaching myself illustrator with this stuff. the problem is certain things are easier to do in illustrator, and others in photoshop. I spent HOURS trying to figure out how to just simply crop something in illustrator. but I never was able to do it. only in photoshop. but its all good. plus its been fun for my son and I to keep us occupied now that summer break has come. n_nI was very proud of him. he made the alien for that tee. not bad for a 13 year old! XD

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

shan24

Webfoot08

shan24 wrote:
Green Thumb

It's Your Lucky Day

I really like the shamrock one. I would buy that shirt. It's not cutesy and is very nicely done.

shan24

Webfoot08 wrote:I really like the shamrock one. I would buy that shirt. It's not cutesy and is very nicely done.

Thank you! I agree, I want to wear that one too Must be the Irish in me.

My 3 yr old and I have been 4-leaf-clover hunting lately and I took some pictures of some 3-leaf clovers for that design, so now he keeps running into the house with different clovers and things from the back yard "for the contest!!" in such a serious manner. I don't have the heart to tell him that that part is over. hah

no1

eHalcyon wrote:You know no1, you become rather helpful when it gets quiet. I don't know if that makes you more or less awesome. But I guess you are still awesome, more or less.

Why, thank you, sir. It's just a variation on "those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

SaritaBeth

I am sad about pica not getting printed. I really wanted it. but i also really wanted (and bought 3) of youbetchacan. i just wanted them to tie. or to place second and third. I didn't get the other derby ones this weekend. but those two were the one's I was rooting for. but i like this week's even better, Ehalcyon. if it doesn't win, i might cry. My son was looking at it too and wanting it. I taught him when he was little "I am not constrained by gender rules", and even though he is a surly 13 year old, that at least still sticks somewhat. :P Of course, it will help that by the time he is finished growing he will be a ginormous 6'8 red headed monster himself. I don't think people will question his masculinity..at least not to his face. XD he is already about 5'10.

this is my new one. i couldn't fit all the thumbnail linky things in my signature though. it said it exceeded 500 characters. I am not sure how to fix that, or if I can. this one was really fun, and a major learning curve (no pun intended! hahaha) it was about 10 steps in total, and I made it completely myself. no vector packs or whatever those things are. it was hard but fun!

Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

...and that's all from me

Webfoot08

SkekTek wrote:

...and that's all from me

Oh my gosh, you make the funniest shirts!

Andy47240

Anyone else annoyed with the random rejections this week. I have not entered this week, but I can't believe all of the "Off Topic" rejections on shirts that have followed the rules perfectly.

eHalcyon

Andy47240 wrote:Anyone else annoyed with the random rejections this week. I have not entered this week, but I can't believe all of the "Off Topic" rejections on shirts that have followed the rules perfectly.

Actually, you may wish to read over the rules again. It wasn't bolded like it was about the green shirt/ink, but they said the design must deal with green conceptually. When the derby was announced, I said that this stipulation would be the one that got most people rejected. It's extremely broad and ambiguous and it really depends on interpretation. That's why I was extremely specific in the description of my entry.

Many of the rejections were probably made because the rejectionator didn't see the theme clearly and the description supplied wasn't very helpful. There are still plenty of unrejected designs that I'd say are rejection worthy, but they must have done some good explaining in their description.

Edit: On the flip side, there are some rejected entries that I think fit the theme fine, but they must not have given a very good description at all.

eHalcyon

@no1 - And those who can't teach, teach gym? By the way, I only said what I said because you were being uncharacteristically helpful (as far as I know). Usually you just make hilarious comments and quote stuff out of context.

@SaritaBeth - Appreciated. I really doubt I'm going to win this week. I haven't seen myself in the hotness at all, while I've seen the other fogged entries many times. I think Pica fared better earlier on in the week. But maybe this one will show some steam in the latter half of the week.

I still think your leaf submission has transparency in it. I realize that parts of the black showing through are because of the spaces inbetween, but what I was talking about was where the outline is grey-ish, because the black is being seen through a transparency white-ish layer (i.e. a leaf). If it was just being seen through gaps, the border should be visible as black only, or not at all, rather than coming up in lighter colours as it is in your comp. Unless there is some incredible detail in your leaf and it isn't really a solid colour but very fine line work...

@SkekTek - hehe, rechargeable.

fablefire

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fablefire
Andy47240 wrote:Anyone else annoyed with the random rejections this week. I have not entered this week, but I can't believe all of the "Off Topic" rejections on shirts that have followed the rules perfectly.

Hehe... just this week eh?

Andy47240

EDIT. (Showing great restraint)