+ Add a Comment

Webfoot08

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Webfoot08
PemberDucky wrote:It seems like the hate swelled and grew into a big monster late last year. (I'm now sorta giving away that I was on the site before opening my own account. Hubs shall remain nameless.)

That's sad... IMO, and all of what I'm saying here is a rhetorical rant, of course, not aimed at anyone in particular, I'm just sayin'...: It's too bad that anytime a design hits the fog, the critics suddenly come out full force, like herds of cockroaches scurrying out of the baseboards. Yes, Cho is farming this website for income, but he has the ability to do that and who among us would do it differently? Talent is talent, and he's lucky to be blessed with it, and what else should he do with it? If I were him, I wouldn't hold back in order to be better liked, either. That would be incredibly dysfunctional and crazy behavior.

Inevitably, the time will come when something more lucrative will come along and he will leave Woot behind. This site is just part of his process of honing his talents and when he reaches the point where he can make more jack elsewhere, we won't see his designs here anymore. Then the next Cho will come along, and the dynamic will repeat itself, because jealousy is part of the human condition. Whoever becomes the next Cho had better have a thick skin like the one he's probably been forced to grow.

This is an intense site. Competition for a (perceived) rich prize makes people crazy, no matter what the competition, whether it's an Iron Man, a Pillsbury bake-off, or a cheerleading contest (remember that mom in Texas?).

It's disheartening to see that kind of stuff, though.

/rant

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
Webfoot08 wrote:That's sad... IMO, and all of what I'm saying here is a rhetorical rant, of course, not aimed at anyone in particular, I'm just sayin'...: It's too bad that anytime a design hits the fog, the critics suddenly come out full force, like herds of cockroaches scurrying out of the baseboards. Yes, Cho is farming this website for income, but he has the ability to do that and who among us would do it differently? Talent is talent, and he's lucky to be blessed with it, and what else should he do with it? If I were him, I wouldn't hold back in order to be better liked, either. That would be incredibly dysfunctional and crazy behavior.

Inevitably, the time will come when something more lucrative will come along and he will leave Woot behind. This site is just part of his process of honing his talents and when he reaches the point where he can make more jack elsewhere, we won't see his designs here anymore. Then the next Cho will come along, and the dynamic will repeat itself, because jealousy is part of the human condition. Whoever becomes the next Cho had better have a thick skin like the one he's probably been forced to grow.

This is an intense site. Competition for a (perceived) rich prize makes people crazy, no matter what the competition, whether it's an Iron Man, a Pillsbury bake-off, or a cheerleading contest (remember that mom in Texas?).

/rant

Haveng talint lik that wud be ahsum. Thee ohnlee talent I has is gud speling and ghrahmer.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
Schrobblehead wrote:Haveng talint lik that wud be ahsum. Thee ohnlee talent I has is gud speling and ghrahmer.

...don't sleep on your cheeseburger-drawing talent!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I remember a happy time when we designed t-shirts, some of us won, and we all were happy. The only crabbing was what we did wrong, or what we didn't think of.
Some of the fun has gone.
It's sad. Very sad.
I can only change my own behavior...

I'm gonna play more Lego Star Wars...

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:I remember a happy time when we designed t-shirts, some of us won, and we all were happy. The only crabbing was what we did wrong, or what we didn't think of.
Some of the fun has gone.
It's sad. Very sad.
I can only change my own behavior...

I'm gonna play more Lego Star Wars...

Always hide the true identity of your cat!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Webfoot08 wrote:That's sad... IMO, and all of what I'm saying here is a rhetorical rant, of course, not aimed at anyone in particular, I'm just sayin'...: It's too bad that anytime a design hits the fog, the critics suddenly come out full force, like herds of cockroaches scurrying out of the baseboards. Yes, Cho is farming this website for income, but he has the ability to do that and who among us would do it differently? Talent is talent, and he's lucky to be blessed with it, and what else should he do with it? If I were him, I wouldn't hold back in order to be better liked, either. That would be incredibly dysfunctional and crazy behavior.

/rant

I respectfully disagree. There can be friendly competition if we insist on being friendly while we compete. Sure it can be difficult, but it is up to us. Frankly, though, if Cho is 'farming' woot for income, then that's too bad. I don't believe he is- I think he is like a lot of us, who enjoy the rush of the competition, and can't help but submit a design when he sees the next theme. If I had his ear, I'd suggest that he stay out every few weeks, stick around, though, and be a commentator and cheerleader, just to keep it fresh, and just to keep people from feeling that way, that he's 'farming' woot for the income. He might find that he'll get a lot less haters than he does now. Might even make more money too, if he isn't entering almost every contest.

I'm sure that the contest winnings of Cho and Gentry are a nice supplement to their incomes, and much appreciated. I do not believe that they and their families (in Gentry's case) could possibly live off the money.

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:I respectfully disagree. There can be friendly competition if we insist on being friendly while we compete. Sure it can be difficult, but it is up to us. Frankly, though, if Cho is 'farming' woot for income, then that's too bad. I don't believe he is- I think he is like a lot of us, who enjoy the rush of the competition, and can't help but submit a design when he sees the next theme. If I had his ear, I'd suggest that he stay out every few weeks, stick around, though, and be a commentator and cheerleader, just to keep it fresh, and just to keep people from feeling that way, that he's 'farming' woot for the income. He might find that he'll get a lot less haters than he does now. Might even make more money too, if he isn't entering almost every contest.

I'm sure that the contest winnings of Cho and Gentry are a nice supplement to their incomes, and much appreciated. I do not believe that they and their families (in Gentry's case) could possibly live off the money.

Cho enjoys being here. Same for tgentry. If they didn't, they wouldn't post helpful tutorials, comment with us, etc. If they were simply grabbing easy money, they'd post designs and disappear into the aether. They don't do that. Back to shooting stormtroopers... :P

Webfoot08

Josephus wrote:I respectfully disagree. There can be friendly competition if we insist on being friendly while we compete. Sure it can be difficult, but it is up to us. Frankly, though, if Cho is 'farming' woot for income, then that's too bad. I don't believe he is- I think he is like a lot of us, who enjoy the rush of the competition, and can't help but submit a design when he sees the next theme. If I had his ear, I'd suggest that he stay out every few weeks, stick around, though, and be a commentator and cheerleader, just to keep it fresh, and just to keep people from feeling that way, that he's 'farming' woot for the income. He might find that he'll get a lot less haters than he does now. Might even make more money too, if he isn't entering almost every contest.

Okay, I misspoke. I have to agree with both you and Skek. Didn't mean "farming" as completely negative - who wouldn't want to make as much money as they could, using their talent?

What you say is very true and I'm of course willing to adjust my opinion based on additional information/point of view.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Pony.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

SkekTek

PemberDucky wrote:Pony.

Squirrel.

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:Squirrel.

Lockbox

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
PemberDucky wrote:Pony.

SkekTek wrote:Squirrel.

Schrobblehead wrote:Lockbox

Geez, all I had for lunch was a sammich and soup. I feels so ordinaries.

no1

Josephus wrote:According to thatrobert, I think it was, joel told him that they're more interested in getting new designers than they are in getting great designs.

that tells me that if they know who you are, you're less likely to get a daily accepted, no matter how good it is.

Today's designer is "Paige Wallis."

Webfoot08

no1 wrote:Today's designer is "Paige Wallis."

Wallis Simpson?

no1

Webfoot08 wrote:Wallis Simpson?

Possibly soothedbyrainfall, who has previous Derby and Daily prints.

edit: don't get me wrong, her stuff is always excellent, but she is an example contrary to Josephus's point quoted above.

Webfoot08

no1 wrote:Possibly soothedbyrainfall, who has previous Derby and Daily prints.

edit: don't get me wrong, her stuff is always excellent, but she is an example contrary to Josephus's point quoted above.

Maybe they di-int know it was her.

Or maybe they're not JUST looking for new designers. Maybe it's "this" AND "that", not "this" OR "that".

Schrobblehead

Definitely her unless someone hijacked the name.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

Another very recent example would be Amanda Barker's I'm Just Sayin', she enters the derby as CheeseSandwich.

Webfoot08

Schrobblehead

geekfactor12 wrote:Another very recent example would be Amanda Barker's I'm Just Sayin', she enters the derby as CheeseSandwich.

Maybe someday I'll try for a daily and after hell freezes over I'll get chosen. Then you'll find out my real name is ***** ************.

That was weird. The computer wouldn't let me type it.

Edit: I'm guessing Webfoot's real name is Beatrix Kiddo.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

@Josephus - I think by "new designers" they mean people who haven't gotten a print yet. From the few emails I exchanged with Joel, my impression is that they're quite receptive to designers who are at least somewhat competent and not crazy.

@Schrobble - You gave my sub a Cyberpub award? I am honoured, especially if I'm one of only two. Too bad that was before I started frequenting the Cyberpub. Well, here's a long overdue THANKS!

@Webfoot - Everyone doing what they love probably wouldn't work. A lot of people love doing nothing.

@Skek - Yeah, foot-mouth for me too. All the time.

Oh, and from a convo with rglee129 (spring-ATRON, fat unicorn, Youbetchucan), they look for dailies from people who haven't been printed in a while, i.e. if you submit two super insanely awesome daily entries, they wouldn't be printing both of them - at least not without a large cooldown inbetween. That's probably why Cho doesn't get dailies printed.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Webfoot08

Schrobblehead wrote:Maybe someday I'll try for a daily and after hell freezes over I'll get chosen. Then you'll find out my real name is ***** ************.

*gasp* how did you find out???????????????????

PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:Maybe someday I'll try for a daily and after hell freezes over I'll get chosen. Then you'll find out my real name is ***** ************.

I used my magic asterisk translation tool to figure it out:
"Then you'll find out my real name is Lurpo
Buttfingerer."

Schrobblehead

PemberDucky wrote:I used my magic asterisk translation tool to figure it out:
"Then you'll find out my real name is Lurpo
Buttfingerer."

Edited.

Webfoot08

eHalcyon wrote:

@Webfoot - Everyone doing what they love probably wouldn't work. A lot of people love doing nothing.

Yeah, but that'd be their problem, not mine. I don't take on responsibility for things that aren't my stuff. Some people want to be productive, some don't. The ones that don't, it's a herculean task to teach them to think differently, and I'm not up to that job.

If you're referring to abuse of systems like welfare, etc., well... that's one of the problems we have to work together as a nation to solve, yes?

But it's far too nice a day to spend time on unsolvable problems. I love my life, and I'm going for a drive to town now. Vive la sunny day!

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:@Webfoot - Everyone doing what they love probably wouldn't work. A lot of people love doing nothing.

But I'm so damn good at it...

PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:Hulk angry!

Oh Yeah!? I bet your real name is Tit$ McGee, which is German for "a whale's v@gina."

The l0lz. You're not far off.
Sorry, Schrobblekins. I just strung a bunch of words together before it even dawned on me that buttfingerer could *mean* something.

PemberDucky

Staff

eHalcyon wrote:

So cynical! That's a shame.

Schrobblehead

PemberDucky wrote:The l0lz. You're not far off.
Sorry, Schrobblekins. I just strung a bunch of words together before it even dawned on me that buttfingerer could *mean* something.

Don't worry, I was just pretending to be mad. But I don't believe that someone who writes for a living would I am an un-original person to know what the words were.

no1

PemberDucky wrote:So cynical! That's a shame.

Cynical? What's wrong with doing nothing?

PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:Don't worry, I was just pretending to be mad. But I don't believe that someone who writes for a living would I am an un-original person to know what the words were.

Well, here's what my thought process was:
Lurp is funny...crrap, needs another letter to fit. Give it an "o". Okay. Gotta start this last name with "butt". Butts are always funny. Oh, BUTTFINGER, 'cause big brother always thought that would be a HILARIOUS Bond villain. Crrap. I need two other letters. Er. EXCELLENT."
*post*
Hmm. Fingerer. Eh, I'm going with it.

Hehe, Either you overestimate my writing skillz or underestimate the disconnect between my brain and my fingers. ers.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:Today's designer is "Paige Wallis."

perhaps ted wallis' wife? (you know, designer of one shirt I actually bought on purpose, not randomly- the creatures from the Black Lagoon shirt...TWallis).

OH, duh! Of course she is Mrs. TWallis. AND soothedbyrainfall. I completely blanked on that bit of history. She had an entry in the photoshop contest one time, when I was playing, not judging, where she put their heads swapped in the picture, as well as a kid or two. Christmasy.

eHalcyon

PemberDucky wrote:So cynical! That's a shame.

Totally not cynical. I love doing nothing.

Schrobblehead

PemberDucky wrote:Well, here's what my thought process was:
Lurp is funny...crrap, needs another letter to fit. Give it an "o". Okay. Gotta start this last name with "butt". Butts are always funny. Oh, BUTTFINGER, 'cause big brother always thought that would be a HILARIOUS Bond villain. Crrap. I need two other letters. Er. EXCELLENT."
*post*
Hmm. Fingerer. Eh, I'm going with it.

Hehe, Either you overestimate my writing skillz or underestimate the disconnect between my brain and my fingers. ers.

As I've only read your posts, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you've got any skills. I assume you wouldn't be employed if you couldn't do your job (that also assumes you don't work for the goverment).

PemberDucky

Staff

Schrobblehead wrote:As I've only read your posts, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you've got any skills. I assume you wouldn't be employed if you couldn't do your job (that also assumes you don't work for the goverment).

I was hired for my looks! They keep me here because I'm sassy.

Nah. In actuality, I'm good at what I do when I'm not hopelessly distracted.

no1

PemberDucky wrote:Nah. In actuality, I'm good at what I do when I'm not hopelessly distracted.

So we should tell JamesCho to put his shirt back on?

PemberDucky

Staff

no1 wrote:So we should tell JamesCho to put his shirt back on?

Absolutely not.

jamescho84

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84

Stop making fun of me dicks.
Do you guys know about the street view on google maps now?
I think it's only in the bigger cities right now, but if you go to http://maps.google.com and look up your address - some will have a Street view option with 360 panoramic of the entered address. Unbelievable - i've been playing around for hours.

eHalcyon

jamescho84 wrote:Stop making fun of me dicks.
Do you guys know about the street view on google maps now?
I think it's only in the bigger cities right now, but if you go to http://maps.google.com and look up your address - some will have a Street view option with 360 panoramic of the entered address. Unbelievable - i've been playing around for hours.

This is where Ducky asks for your address.

Or does she already know it? e_e

Zenne

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne
jamescho84 wrote:Stop making fun of me dicks.

How many?

<-disappears again