jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink
morfred wrote:Count me in as a dissatisfied customer. After sending in the defective unit it took three weeks and two phone calls to finally get the replacement unit that was promised to be brand new. SURPRISE-another respiffied one!
Broken promise=lousy customer service=dissapointed me
Do not promise me something you will not do.

You purchased a refurbished, and I'm not sure why everyone thinks they should get a brand new retail box one?

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

morfred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morfred
jwink wrote:You purchased a refurbished, and I'm not sure why everyone thinks they should get a brand new retail box one?

I do not know about "everyone"- I do know that customer service told me that I would get a "brand new one for my troubles". Had I not been told that I would not have expected it. Once I am promised it I do expect it. (I cannot speak for others)

zzyzxfc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zzyzxfc
morfred wrote:I do not know about "everyone"- I do know that customer service told me that I would get a "brand new one for my troubles". Had I not been told that I would not have expected it. Once I am promised it I do expect it. (I cannot speak for others)

Bummer. Seems to me that when you buy refurbished you get something that is basically a new unit only that it has been open and might have been used very lightly.

I bought a Breville recertified from buy.com and it looks new to me ($149 + free shipping).

http://www.buy.com/prod/breville-800esxl-commercial-15-bar-triple-priming-die-cast-espresso/q/loc/111/203186584.html

Hit me, Spank me, Make me buy stuff on Woot I don't really need...
10/18/08 $79.99 Breville Ikon Diecast Blender
09/26/11 $9.99 Dingo Original Rawhide Bones

aztech

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aztech
zzyzxfc wrote:Bummer. Seems to me that when you buy refurbished you get something that is basically a new unit only that it has been open and might have been used very lightly.

I bought a Breville recertified from buy.com and it looks new to me ($149 + free shipping).

http://www.buy.com/prod/breville-800esxl-commercial-15-bar-triple-priming-die-cast-espresso/q/loc/111/203186584.html

i also just ordered the breville from buy.com... how is yours? have there been any probs with any from that site that you know about? hopefully they are of a different batch.

i didn't start reading the bad parts of this thread until after i ordered. what is the 3 digit batch number on the bottom of yours?

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink
morfred wrote:I do not know about "everyone"- I do know that customer service told me that I would get a "brand new one for my troubles". Had I not been told that I would not have expected it. Once I am promised it I do expect it. (I cannot speak for others)

In the semantics of that i would read into it "we're not going to try to fix the one you sent us we'll send a different "new" (i.e. not the same exact one) unit to you". I've had zero problems with mine from day one, I'm one of the lucky; and there are a few sratches and scrapes on it but nothing i wouldn't have created in normal use.

Your objective should be to get a properly functioning unit that is in good cosmetic shape. Most of these from what I've read (myself included) the unitls show almost as brand new on the outside.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

morfred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morfred

"Brand new for my troubles" does not mean almost brand new.
As for what my objective should be-I will decide that thanks.

junior224466

quality posts: 0 Private Messages junior224466

My machine is back and it's kicking out some sweet cappuccinos. It's not new, but 'unused'. They probably had to change a part at the factory and couldn't sell it as new.

I also have the Breville Ikon grinder. I tried the non-pressurized filter and things did not go as well so I switched back to the pressurized filter.

The grinder is key for the non-pressurized filter. I will make the modification to the grinder for the finer grind and will attempt the non-pressurized filter again at some point.

porterlu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages porterlu

So I've been using mine now for the past two months and...
Awesome. Not the best out there but for the money, I have never used its equal.
Excellent crema and a solid 20-30 seconds for a 2-ounce shot. I've always been a sugar-in-my-coffee kind of guy and now understand that a truly fine cuppa doesn't need it.
Now for the not so great.
Something weird has just started happening - not all the time, but regularly. The pump continues to pull water from the reservoir then immediately dumps it, even if turned off. The pump keeps going also if there is no water in the reservoir, which can't be good for the machine either. I have had to unplug it to make it stop. And when I plug it back in it will often start right back up where it left off.
The solution has been to keep feeding it water until it decides it is done - I estimate about 1-2 quarts. I don't know what the capacity for the discarded water pool is, but the amount of water it cycles through in order to be content is about 3 fill-ups.
I am probably at some point going to send this is for a replacement or tune-up, but may hold off it the problem stays the same. Although I would love one that works perfectly, I know how to get a great cup with this machine and wouldn't want a new one that is perfect mechanically and electronically but still lacks in the end result, a criticism I've heard about this machine.

chacongustavo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chacongustavo
midnightohone wrote:This is a high pressure 15 BAR machine, and it's recommended to tamp (manually compress the grounds in the portafilter) to 30 lbs. To find the right tamp, I started relatively light and with each pull, gave it a bit more muscle. With all good machines, there's a bit of a learning curve.

I hope Woot takes care of all of those with a problem. It's only been a couple days, and I imagine that Woot is working with Breville to figure out the best way to handle this. My guess is that we'll all get a letter/email soon about the problem and the best/most efficient way to handle this.

Remember, Woot sold these thinking they were in working order. They're probably pissed off too!

gustavo

chacongustavo

chacongustavo wrote:

expresso its coming very watery i'm very dissapointed i hope some one can help me
this was a present for my wife and shes not happy come on woot please help me.

gustavo

beerguide

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beerguide
chacongustavo wrote:expresso its coming very watery i'm very dissapointed i hope some one can help me

Good morning chacongustavo,

This machine is capable of doing a fine job but there is a bit of a learning curve. First, you must realize that you probably don't own a coffee grinder that will deliver the correct grind for this machine. I found this out myself. Proper grinders will run well over $200 new.

What I suggest you do is to go to your market, buy 1/4 lb of espresso roast and use the store's grinder to grind it at the finest setting possible. The Bunn brand grinder at our SafeWay had a "Turkish" setting. I found this was just a bit too fine but it worked with a light tamp.

You might want to try 1/4 lb ground a tiny bit coarser than Turkish and tinker with the tamp.

With patience and practice you can get the right combination of grind fineness and tamping pressure.

Good crema to you,

Beerguide

beerguide

chacongustavo wrote:expresso its coming very watery i'm very dissapointed i hope some one can help me

This machine is capable of doing a fine job but there is a bit of a learning curve. First, you must realize that you probably don't own a coffee grinder that will deliver the correct grind for this machine. I found this out myself. Proper grinders will run well over $200 new.

What I suggest you do is to go to your market, buy 1/4 lb of espresso roast and use the store's grinder to grind it at the finest setting possible. The Bunn brand grinder at our SafeWay had a "Turkish" setting. I found this was just a bit too fine but it worked with a light tamp.

You might want to try 1/4 lb ground a tiny bit coarser than Turkish and tinker with the tamp.

With patience and practice you can get the right combination of grind fineness and tamping pressure.

Good crema to you,

Beerguide

beerguide

Good crema to you,

Beerguide

chacongustavo

neills wrote:Woot sold 1785 units, wonder how many were returned to Breville. Anyone wants to conduct a poll? Start with me as #1.

my breville its not working to i'm very mad what can i do i have call breville and they would not replace it since it was purchase trough woot any one has any sugestion please call me 310-930-1240

gustavo

porterlu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages porterlu
porterlu wrote:So I've been using mine now for the past two months and...
Awesome. Not the best out there but for the money, I have never used its equal...

Okay, now I have to totally retract my previous statement. Damn, it really was working great. Steamer just stopped working. It started out by just not getting very hot, then stopped all together. I'm still getting fairly decent pours though after what, 4 months or so, I have yet to be able to produce consistent quality. I am willing to chalk it up to inexperience, though my gut is telling me otherwise.

So now I have to figure out how to get it fixed or replaced...

heheman3000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages heheman3000

Our espresso machine released its magic smoke today. Just great!

Peitho

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Peitho

I love mine!!!

jrb6961

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrb6961

My steamer just stopped working after 2 years and and 1 month of use. I have used nothing but spring water in the unit, so i don't think it is any sort of build up....fyi