DigMe

quality posts: 23 Private Messages DigMe

In this price range you'd be far better off Ebaying any given Gaggia espresso machine. The Gaggia machine may not have a stainless body but it is capable of making better espresso that can sometimes rival the more expensive machines. This Breville machine with its pressurized portafilter can do no such thing.

Also, don't even think about getting quality espresso out of any espresso machine without also investing in a quality burr grinder.

shacky003

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shacky003
maxinater wrote:Holy carp. twitter is freaking out. new message every 2 minutes/

Ironic, as we would have all liked to have had that amount during the woot-off (even if it was the same item alerting..)

I hope the woot gods are listening so that they can fix the issue..

1 "THE CLAW!" cd/dvd eater - 1 Dremel duo-kit 7.2 - 2 HP Multimedia Keyboards - End of Wootoff SCREAMING MONKEY! (Purple) - 1 Candi, The USB Pole Dancer - 3Cube Memory 4GB Micro SD Cards with Adapters - 1 DigiPro 8" x 6" USB Graphics Tablet - 3 sellout.woot coleman 5 watt solar chargers - End of Woot-off FM Radio TP Holder! 9/24/08 - Book of Crap - Sonic Impact Video Player for ipod (worthless w/3g nano)

cocteau30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cocteau30

Does anybody know the power supply? Can I use it in Europe? Otherwise, 1500 Watts, too big for a voltage converter.

justinmar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justinmar
maxinater wrote:Holy carp. twitter is freaking out. new message every 2 minutes/

the tweets had me sold. I'm turning them off for the night!

ganesha23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ganesha23

TURN OFF YOUR TWITTER UNTIL YOU FIX IT!

jjdarling

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjdarling

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up soon, and I was starting to sweat. Thanks for taking care of me woot!

pezancik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pezancik

I have to assume this is a 110 volt only machine? Or would it by any chance also work on 220? Product info says nothing about voltages...

DallasFlier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DallasFlier
elpepe wrote:I'm sorry, but a used appliance that makes food or beverages is gross. Even if it does use boiling hot water and air 15 times greater than atmospheric pressure.

*giggles*, how stupid! Remember that dumb statement next time you go to a restaurant, and eat a meal made with appliances and utensils which have likely been used hundreds, if not thousands of times before they were used to make YOUR meal!

(too many woots in the past couple of years to list anymore) :-)

DigMe

quality posts: 23 Private Messages DigMe
pezancik wrote:I have to assume this is a 110 volt only machine? Or would it by any chance also work on 220? Product info says nothing about voltages...

Yeah, it's 110.

Masterface7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Masterface7

Hi wooters, I think this is a great deal I have had an espresso machine for quite a few years now and i have upgraded to a fully automatic gaggia, and i can say i wish i could have found a deal like this when i bought my first machine. The 250 dollars that you can save on woot represent a significant jump in quality in the espresso machine world, going from a walmart machine to something you will be proud to serve your friendsand family. I have read numurous reviews on this mashine saying that is was a great deal for the money at $400! So if you want an espresso machine i would say there is no time like the present. Also I resommend Illy beans as the are findable in many large groceriery stores yet still taste great.

jonez176

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonez176
pezancik wrote:I have to assume this is a 110 volt only machine? Or would it by any chance also work on 220? Product info says nothing about voltages...

99% of electronics only work at 110V. Your exceptions are PCs that can switch between the two voltages and another minute few.

MatthewVinez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MatthewVinez

Much nicer than my $50 version from Bed Bath & Beyond.
Still not buying though!

shacky003

jonez176 wrote:99% of electronics only work at 110V. Your exceptions are PCs that can switch between the two voltages and another minute few.

The question was valid, as small appliances that use major watts/amps generally do switch, ie hair dryers, toasters (yes, mine switches) some blenders, etc..

1 "THE CLAW!" cd/dvd eater - 1 Dremel duo-kit 7.2 - 2 HP Multimedia Keyboards - End of Wootoff SCREAMING MONKEY! (Purple) - 1 Candi, The USB Pole Dancer - 3Cube Memory 4GB Micro SD Cards with Adapters - 1 DigiPro 8" x 6" USB Graphics Tablet - 3 sellout.woot coleman 5 watt solar chargers - End of Woot-off FM Radio TP Holder! 9/24/08 - Book of Crap - Sonic Impact Video Player for ipod (worthless w/3g nano)

russianmoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages russianmoo

This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't respiffed. I'm weary of anything that's a respiff, so I'm out on this one.

I'm the bad, you're the ugly. There is no good.

elpepe

quality posts: 13 Private Messages elpepe
DallasFlier wrote:*giggles*, how stupid! Remember that dumb statement next time you go to a restaurant, and eat a meal made with appliances and utensils which have likely been used hundreds, if not thousands of times before they were used to make YOUR meal!

The difference is that at a (reputable, at least) restaurant, the appliances are cleaned regularly and they are inspected by the health department. Now, I am not saying this is the case with these espresso machines, but someone could buy an appliance, use it once, not clean it for months while mold and mildew grew. If they then return it under warranty, how well is it actually cleaned? Maybe very well, maybe not. And the other thing is that of course not all the parts of this machine have the superhot water and high pressure ... some parts just sit there.

frankrizzo96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frankrizzo96
joedrozal wrote:in for one...quit drinking so turning my wet bar into a --COFFEE BAR--...so sad

actually, that is very sad.

oskay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oskay

I bought one of these, and I can safely recommend to STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THIS MACHINE. It's worth its weight in scrap metal and nothing more.

While it looks pretty good, the number of things wrong with this machine are truly incredible. It is made of 100% pure failure. There are lots of subtle little problems like the fact that it's *not* possible to hold the filter basket in place while you bang the grounds out-- you have to scoop the grounds out or retrieve your basket from the trash. Or the fact that you can't pause while steaming milk without it venting the system and having to start warming it up again from scratch. Or the fact that the scrap water tray will indicate that it's full, but not until after it's so full that you can't carry it to the sink without spilling. Or the fact that you have to actually PHYSICALLY UNPLUG the machine whenever you're done making coffee, because the fancy LED-lit software-only power button doesn't actually cut the power off, so it will randomly start up in the middle of the night, run its pump for a while and overflow the water tank onto your kitchen floor.

"Brilliant design!"

What the heck were those jerks who made this thinking? Why the bleep did I waste money on this incredible piece of carp? Don't make my mistake!!!!

Matingas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Matingas

CARP! as always.. i'm really high and this sounds like a great buy ... if i don't like it or don't use it .. i'll easily sell it for $200 on craigslist!! grrr

Matingas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Matingas
joedrozal wrote:in for one...quit drinking so turning my wet bar into a --COFFEE BAR--...so sad

I think it's pretty awesome dude! ... i would do it.. except.. i'm 22 and not an alcoholic...

BigD

quality posts: 69 Private Messages BigD
elpepe wrote:The difference is that at a (reputable, at least) restaurant, the appliances are cleaned regularly and they are inspected by the health department. Now, I am not saying this is the case with these espresso machines, but someone could buy an appliance, use it once, not clean it for months while mold and mildew grew. If they then return it under warranty, how well is it actually cleaned? Maybe very well, maybe not. And the other thing is that of course not all the parts of this machine have the superhot water and high pressure ... some parts just sit there.

On home/kitchen appliances that are recertified, any part of the product that would touch food is typically replaced with brand new parts. We're not talking about something you buy at a flea market, you're talking about a reputable manufacturer that sells their products in top tier retail stores like Crate and Barrel, Williams Sonoma and Neiman Marcus. I dont think they are willing to risk their reputation by simply cleaning and re-using a $2 part instead of replacing it. IN addition, a large percentage of recertified items are never even used to begin with. Often they are repackaged due to a box being damaged, or the product being a return (Xmas or wedding gift) or even being a display unit on a store shelf.

What does refurbished or recertified mean? Click here to find out.

shacky003

xBudahx wrote:Wow, way to go after someone who stated their opinion about another person's opinion.

I didn't go after him - I posted my comment as the OP I was speaking of was attacking another member of the forum. While you might not like the fact that I had a light shining on him doing something that is clearly against the forums policies, what I did was in no way against any rule, etc.

The argument you attempt to make with your comment would be, in an example, like faulting a neighborhood watch member for chasing off someone who was mugging a person walking down the street, because they caused some type of panic in the attacker - That is just simply not a valid argument.

But have a nice night!

harrv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harrv

Why isn't Utah bright yellow as usual? Oh, right. Coffee.

shacky003

oskay wrote:I bought one of these, and I can safely recommend to STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THIS MACHINE. It's worth its weight in scrap metal and nothing more.

While it looks pretty good, the number of things wrong with this machine are truly incredible. It is made of 100% pure failure. There are lots of subtle little problems like the fact that it's *not* possible to hold the filter basket in place while you bang the grounds out-- you have to scoop the grounds out or retrieve your basket from the trash. Or the fact that you can't pause while steaming milk without it venting the system and having to start warming it up again from scratch. Or the fact that the scrap water tray will indicate that it's full, but not until after it's so full that you can't carry it to the sink without spilling. Or the fact that you have to actually PHYSICALLY UNPLUG the machine whenever you're done making coffee, because the fancy LED-lit software-only power button doesn't actually cut the power off, so it will randomly start up in the middle of the night, run its pump for a while and overflow the water tank onto your kitchen floor.

"Brilliant design!"

What the heck were those jerks who made this thinking? Why the bleep did I waste money on this incredible piece of carp? Don't make my mistake!!!!

I certainly hope you tried to at least get the water/power issue fixed..

shacky003

harrv wrote:Why isn't Utah bright yellow as usual? Oh, right. Coffee.

ha ha

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON
jonez176 wrote:99% of electronics only work at 110V. Your exceptions are PCs that can switch between the two voltages and another minute few.

Cell phone chargers, NiMH battery chargers, beard trimmer, camera power supply, all are world voltage capable. Heck, I bet your iPod charger is world voltage.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

shacky003

JOATMON wrote:Cell phone chargers, NiMH battery chargers, beard trimmer, camera power supply, all are world voltage capable. Heck, I bet your iPod charger is world voltage.

Agreed - I was thinking of physical switch items - I stand corrected for my bit above - I should have included those as well

I think the issue was that perhaps the person that stated 99% of electronics are 110, was thinking all electronics (and all woot'ers) will only use anything in the US..

shacky003

BigD wrote:On home/kitchen appliances that are recertified, any part of the product that would touch food is typically replaced with brand new parts. We're not talking about something you buy at a flea market, you're talking about a reputable manufacturer that sells their products in top tier retail stores like Crate and Barrel, Williams Sonoma and Neiman Marcus. I dont think they are willing to risk their reputation by simply cleaning and re-using a $2 part instead of replacing it. IN addition, a large percentage of recertified items are never even used to begin with. Often they are repackaged due to a box being damaged, or the product being a return (Xmas or wedding gift) or even being a display unit on a store shelf.

Thank you for letting us know

wwoott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wwoott

My wifes birthday present hope she likes it.

rickgrx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickgrx

Ok guys, let's figure a double espresso costs about $1.35 at the 'bucks. Assuming $15 bucks a pound for quality espresso, and assuming a double shot of espresso uses 15 grams of coffee, this machine will have paid for itself after 183 double-shot espressos ("espresso doppio" in coffee language). Factor in a cappuccino, which adds about $0.10 worth of milk, costs around $4.50. Given that, and assuming you don't scald yourself with the steam wand (cost of burn cream is not factored in), the machine will pay for itself after only 40 12 ounce cappuccinos.

I'd argue the quality of beverage would be on-par with that of the local 'bucks, since I have little faith in the coffee-spewing robots insofar as flavor and quailty of extraction. Not to say you're going to put them out of business, since you do have to buy beans from somewhere...

rickgrx

cocteau30 wrote:Does anybody know the power supply? Can I use it in Europe? Otherwise, 1500 Watts, too big for a voltage converter.

Easy! Order 2 and run them in series!

Wait, no...

mike240se

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mike240se

will this give me the head on the espresso that starbucks big machine does?

i have a hamilton beach "15 bar" espresso maker, it works but the espresso is nothing like starbucks. theirs comes out with this nice little tiny head on it and some interesting color, mine just comes out dark. basically like strong coffee.

i so want this machine if it does this.

rickgrx

mike240se wrote:will this give me the head on the espresso that starbucks big machine does?

i have a hamilton beach "15 bar" espresso maker, it works but the espresso is nothing like starbucks. theirs comes out with this nice little tiny head on it and some interesting color, mine just comes out dark. basically like strong coffee.

i so want this machine if it does this.

yea, it's got "cheater" crema enhancers, so "head" shouldn't be a problem. Also be sure to use fresh coffee, ground right before use in a burr grinder. A blade-type whirly coffee mill won't get the particles the same size, which means lower pressure through the "puck" of coffee, which means less emulsification of coffee oils, water, and air, and therefore less crema, and more strong coffee.

mike240se

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mike240se
rickgrx wrote:yea, it's got "cheater" crema enhancers, so "head" shouldn't be a problem. Also be sure to use fresh coffee, ground right before use in a burr grinder. A blade-type whirly coffee mill won't get the particles the same size, which means lower pressure through the "puck" of coffee, which means less emulsification of coffee oils, water, and air, and therefore less crema, and more strong coffee.

cool thanks. i dont know if i havea burr grinder. its a stainless black and decker with a wheel on the back. its more of like two discs that smash it up some how, no blades.

should i be pressing down hard with the tamper? also it seems like my machine pushes out the coffee too fast, i wonder if i can do something about that. it has some descent reviews on that coffee geek site.

drjboulder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drjboulder
paulinaz wrote:How good of quality can these be if so many broke to begin with and had to be refurbished? Maybe the die-cast parts are good, but what about the electronics?

This is incredibly good deal. If you worked for Bed Bath and beyond you would realize how great of a deal this is. People return things for the stupidest reasons. If I drank Coffee, I would jump on this. Breville makes very high quality products. respiffied on something like this may mean, "It was tested at the factory and I found Coffee Bean residue." You would be surprised by the quantity of top class items that are returned by snobs. This is a top notch machine. If you want a top notch espresso maker -Woot this! Great Deal!

HWICA

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HWICA
shacky003 wrote:I certainly hope you tried to at least get the water/power issue fixed..

Call Breville Customer Service Number 1-866-273-8455, they will take care you by replacing it without asking you paying even a penny. Shipping and Handling is covered, as long as you can show the proof of purchase.

HWICA

oskay wrote:I bought one of these, and I can safely recommend to STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THIS MACHINE. It's worth its weight in scrap metal and nothing more.

"Brilliant design!"

It is certain Breville stands behind their products not to mention on the failure of purging water. Breville shall be able to replace your unit without costing a penny, round trips shipping and handling are covered by Breville. Not many company is doing this kind of service on market. Call them 1-866-273-8455

rickgrx

mike240se wrote:cool thanks. i dont know if i havea burr grinder. its a stainless black and decker with a wheel on the back. its more of like two discs that smash it up some how, no blades.

should i be pressing down hard with the tamper? also it seems like my machine pushes out the coffee too fast, i wonder if i can do something about that. it has some descent reviews on that coffee geek site.

That'd be a burr grinder. Make sure you crank it as fine as it'll go. For tamping, I've heard about 20 lbs of force is good--mash it down, but you don't have to stand on it or anything. Also, you may try more coffee in the portafilter. About 9 grams for a single and 15 grams for a double. That'd be 2 "normal coffee" scoops (~7 grams, 2 tbsp) for a double. If your machine is still running through too fast, try more coffee/finer grind/more tamp.

HWICA

cocteau30 wrote:Does anybody know the power supply? Can I use it in Europe? Otherwise, 1500 Watts, too big for a voltage converter.

Please look for a UL or ETL certified Power transformer / power supply is capable of producing 115 to 125 Volt and output min. 15 Amp of current.

HWICA

Operting voltage at 115 to 125 volt, 220 volt has model number 800es

lucky77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lucky77

in for one. Great price and I love espresso. These machines last forever and make kiss ass coffee. BTW, hurry up IMO they will be gone very soon.