Hemo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hemo

fargle. I'd be interested but I am lucky and someone gave me a Barista for Christmas last year.
http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/starbucks_barista

Hemo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hemo
joedrozal wrote:in for one...quit drinking so turning my wet bar into a --COFFEE BAR--...so sad

It truly is. unless you start using coffee/espresso as a mixer. wootkins

chiieddy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chiieddy

I have the non-diecast version at home because of how much this cost originally (since we were using a wedding gift card to purchase it). This is a good price. If you are using the milk steamer, make sure you clean it regularly or it will clog, In addition, you need to clean out the espresso machine itself or you won't get the pressure you need to make the good stuff anymore. About once every 30 - 40 uses. The reviews I've seen about people complaining the machine has stopped working has been mainly from lime build-up.

dman00001000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dman00001000

Been wanting a good machine at a bargain price for some time and I finally found it... great deal... in for one!

lucky77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lucky77

key for hot coffe with this machine..................PRE-HEAT MACHINE THEN RUN WATER THRU PORTAFILTER FOR 10 SECONDS.

ahmadsamha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahmadsamha

I bought one of these two days ago. I'm packaging it up now and taking it back to the store and ordering one off here.

savings: $250!

Hooray!

Oh and it's an INCREDIBLE espresso machine. It's my first one and I'm already turning out near starbucks level espresso. I was going to buy the cheaper Cafe Roma, but when I held the filter, and it weighed a ton, I figured the entire thing was die cast stainless steel. The other one had this cheap piece of a major Hollywood production filter that would've broke in no time.

25 woots and counting!

marcj0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcj0

I've had this model for just over a year and despite it's quirks* I absolutely love it. Great machine: consistent shots, low maintenance, aesthetically pleasing, love the height between portafilter and base. I've been consistently pulling it 6-10 shots a day since the day I got it. A Rocky it is not, but at about half the price of going retail, I'd call this a great buy.

*eccentricities:
-soupy grinds, no real puck after extracting
-double walled presurized portafilter

GreatJorge

quality posts: 37 Private Messages GreatJorge

I have a Breville machine similar to this one (different model).
Bought it new, at a retail store when it was on sale.

It's an awesome machine, built to last.
But the important thing, is that it makes excellent expresso, latte and all that. The milk REALLY foams/froths.

We've had it for 3 years and it operates flawlessly.

Complaints?

The only complaints you'll get from real owners of this machine are minor and not related to the quality of coffee it brews: for example when you take the handle out,after making coffee, the grounds are soggy/not packed tight. That's an aftermath of the double pressure thing.

Love it.

ellemy08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellemy08

This is not really cheap. I owned this bought same model in ebay a month ago it only cost me $120 brandnew.

commodog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages commodog

i have the Breville ikon Espresso Machine

http://www.appliancist.com/espresso_machines/breville-espresso-machine-ikon.html

looks similiar to this one, holds filter in nicely when tapping grounds out unlike complaints about this one (i guess)

I paid 149 for mine and love it

RobAtSGH

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RobAtSGH

Thermoblock + false-bottom "crema enhancer" basket = failure.

Better than a steam toy, but what you want to look for is a solid brass boiler and plain stainless filter baskets that clip into the portafilter (the bit with the handle). This kit will only ever make mediocre coffee. "Crema whipper" baskets aerate the coffee to get that fake foam, and that noticeably hurts the flavor.

dman00001000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dman00001000
ellemy08 wrote:This is not really cheap. I owned this bought same model in ebay a month ago it only cost me $120 brandnew.

Did you buy a stolen one? Everywhere else they're $399 new and ebay right now has the respliffed like this for $199....

osiris3mc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osiris3mc

I own this product (paid retail for it a year ago), and it makes fantastic espresso. Honestly, it's the best machine out there under a couple thousand. I am strongly considering buying another one!

dcollicott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcollicott

"15 bar Triple-Prime™ pump"

Wow, I've been looking for a coffee maker with that! The one I have only has 14 bars!

wmpracer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmpracer

My wife and I have this machine and it has worked perfectly for the past 2.5 years. Beware of the more inexpensive models. You always get what you pay for. This is a great quality machine and is well worth the money. I wish I had found a refurbished one when we got ours.

hardworkingjulie

quality posts: 15 Private Messages hardworkingjulie
elpepe wrote:I'm sorry, but a used appliance that makes food or beverages is gross. Even if it does use boiling hot water and air 15 times greater than atmospheric pressure.

Must be nice having every 'bucks and restaurant open up a fresh expresso-maker when you arrive so you are not reduced to getting your java from a gross ,used appliance. (Do you bring paper plates and sporks with you to restaurants too?)

Edbert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Edbert

I had to chuckle at the comments about how good the coffee is, but any halfway decent machine will make better coffee than Starbucks!

But for my money I's steer clear of any machine with a pump, they break after a few years of daily use, there's a reason forall the respiffs you know. After having gone through several (I had a $100 Braun outlast a $300 Krups and a $500 DeLonghi) I settled on a manual style machine. It is decidedly old-school...only thing to turn on it the boiler, lift the handle and press your own. I use it 5-8 times a week and it is nearly 9 years old. The one I have is made by LaPavoni, it is chrome plated brass and might just outlive me. Besides those old style machines are pretty nice looking on the counter.

PS> I'd recommend using distilled water, scale buildup will destroy it over time.

gringor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gringor
elpepe wrote:The difference is that at a (reputable, at least) restaurant, the appliances are cleaned regularly and they are inspected by the health department. Now, I am not saying this is the case with these espresso machines, but someone could buy an appliance, use it once, not clean it for months while mold and mildew grew. If they then return it under warranty, how well is it actually cleaned? Maybe very well, maybe not. And the other thing is that of course not all the parts of this machine have the superhot water and high pressure ... some parts just sit there.

Who wouldn't clean a food/drink machine they just purchased? (new or used).

Some junk

riffrafff

quality posts: 2 Private Messages riffrafff
Zeusandhera wrote:If you buy Starbucks regularly, buy this instead, you'll save a ton in the long run!

And it'll taste better than Charbucks, too. Just be sure and get a decent burr grinder. Those cheapo whirly-gig spice grinders they market for coffee won't cut it with an espresso machine.

Oooo, speaking of coffee, check out www.sweetmarias.com and roast your own beans at home.

lousquared

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lousquared

This looks beautiful, but if you go to Amazon, there are plenty of bad reviews on it.

ryanroat

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ryanroat

Does this work with pods like the illy ESE pods? (I know a true afficionado would likely dismiss them, but I'd just like the option.)

ahmadsamha

Edbert wrote:

PS> I'd recommend using distilled water, scale buildup will destroy it over time.

Actually I have this machine and it says specifically NOT to use distilled water. I don't know why, though.

Anyone know?

25 woots and counting!

riffrafff

ahmadsamha wrote:Actually I have this machine and it says specifically NOT to use distilled water. I don't know why, though.

Anyone know?

That's weird. That's all I ever use in my Saeco Via Veneto.

ahmadsamha

ryanroat wrote:Does this work with pods like the illy ESE pods? (I know a true afficionado would likely dismiss them, but I'd just like the option.)

It does work with Pods. It has a special attachment to the filter that's engraved with POD.

25 woots and counting!

ahmadsamha

riffrafff wrote:That's weird. That's all I ever use in my Saeco Via Veneto.

Did a google and here's what I found:

http://www.coffeecrew.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,233/func,view/catid,25/id,2201/

25 woots and counting!

riffrafff

ahmadsamha wrote:Actually I have this machine and it says specifically NOT to use distilled water. I don't know why, though.

Anyone know?

Ah, soft water and distilled water is said to be less flavorful than spring water. That's what they're on about.

osiris3mc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osiris3mc
elpepe wrote:The difference is that at a (reputable, at least) restaurant, the appliances are cleaned regularly and they are inspected by the health department. Now, I am not saying this is the case with these espresso machines, but someone could buy an appliance, use it once, not clean it for months while mold and mildew grew. If they then return it under warranty, how well is it actually cleaned? Maybe very well, maybe not. And the other thing is that of course not all the parts of this machine have the superhot water and high pressure ... some parts just sit there.

*giggles*, wow. A restaurant properly cleaning their appliances?!? I don't think so. Even the reputable ones only properly clean when they have an inspection due. Trust me on this one (I have a buddy who's worked at many of the finer establishments in nyc, and well, you don't want to know how unclean most of these places are.).

ahmadsamha

riffrafff wrote:Ah, soft water and distilled water is said to be less flavorful than spring water. That's what they're on about.

It makes sense I guess. I use filtered tap. I'm going to try different types and see if it really makes a difference. I probably won't even notice!

25 woots and counting!

wmplpi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmplpi

Now is my chance to be a Barista

jagrime2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jagrime2

Save your money and go to Mickey D's

FilmFeller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FilmFeller

Can you use Folger's instant in it? Mmmmmm! Now THAT'S good java!!!!

Ed3rd

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Ed3rd
sticknam50392 wrote:I was actually looking for a gift for a friend who really likes coffee....but I'm not buying this.
Why? Not because I dislike the product.
I'm not buying it because Woot just sent out SEVEN IDENTICAL TWEETS IN THE PAST 14 MINUTES ADVERTISING THIS DAMN PRODUCT.
NO. I DON'T want 7 text messages for every piece of ... you guys try to sell.
EDIT: Just got yet ANOTHER text.
STOP WOOT, JUST STOP.
EDIT: DIE WOOT, DIE. 10 text messages is 9 too many, I've stopped following Woot.

http://twitter.com/woot/statuses/933999905

It's a krap! We cannot repel bags of this magnitude!
10/13/06 4/1/07 6/1/07 12/11/08 01/28/10 3/26/10

rlr47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rlr47

I've had this machine for nearly 2 years. I got it to work reasonably well by doing the following: 1) Getting a good grinder ($200 Gaggia) - very, very important. 2) Removing the bottom of the portafilters. 3) Steaming without the attachment. 4)Experimenting with the grind setting to get a 25 second pull - which turns out to be different for different beans - I have no idea why.

Does not work very well with pods. Yeah, it's got a pod portafilter, but it takes over a minute to finally drip an espresso cup through, and that amount of time makes for bad espresso. I've tried several different Italian brands of pods - all the same result.

This is a great price.

ustrd003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ustrd003

I bought this machine at Dillards for $300, was our anniversary gift to one another. We shopped for months for the perfect espresso/latte maker. We love it, had it now for over 2 yrs....One morning went to use it and it was dead. We had a lightning storm that week, it must have gotten zapped. I called the company and told them that it was dead, did not know what happened to it, etc. I shipped them mine and they shipped me a new one. They have great customer service. Machine is great quality, a bit noisy when steaming milk though...but that is what Tivo is for....just pause what you are watching till the milk is frothy.

amgqmp1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amgqmp1

If I wanted an espresso maker...this would be a deal! I've got a different series Breville that I've had for a couple years now...simply impressive stuff.

The steamer wand on mine is also worthless (Breville must put them on to make them look complete), but, once I took the wand condom off...this thing can shoot steam well enough to cook eggs.

jmp3530

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmp3530

Mormons don't drink coffee in public. This is for private consumption ;)

kippyj

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kippyj

This is a beautiful machine. If I hadn't spent so much money during the w00t-off, it would be mine. Nobody needs a $200 grinder to go with it...even I'M not THAT big a coffee snob! I have worked in restaurants before, too...many barristas are basically quite lazy. If you love your espresso, just buy it. At Starbucks' prices, this thing will pay for itself in a couple of months. Cleaning it isn't that big of a deal.

"I love your red hair. It's not very common and YOU are FAR from common." Tom Harris

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

Say what you will about 'steam toys'. I will stick to my Bialetti Mukka Express cappuccino pot. Bought used on ebay for $20. If you are thinking espresso start with Bialetti or its knock offs and if they are inadequate then go for a machine.

If you want coffee, I suggest a French Press, for example Bodum.

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

Friesie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Friesie

Save yourself $125 and buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GXZ2GS

brentphx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brentphx

And absolutely love it! Good quality, pulls a great shot! Only suggestion is to grind your beans just a little more coarse than normal espresso grind. Like a 1.5 if you put it in the machine at the store... the little filter can clog if you don't.

Oh, and remove the little tube that covers the steam wand... you'll learn how to froth it yourself (that thing creates too much froth, no milk)

I HIGHLY recommend this unit! i paid $399 new and it is still worth it at that price!