Yeormom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yeormom

Recertified and food items do not go together.

jdemetris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdemetris
elpepe wrote:I'm sorry, but a used appliance that makes food or beverages is gross. Even if it does use boiling hot water and air 15 times greater than atmospheric pressure.

I would have to agree with you....

ppremont

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ppremont

This would be a good beginner machine. The price is nice. Buy this instead of the crappy $40 steam driven espresso machine you'd from Target It makes some kind of coffee, not really espresso. It'll be stored on the back of that cupboard for the next year and then, in the trash.

On the plus side:
-Pump driven (not steam driven like those $40 useless espresso makers)
-Will make a good (not great) shot.
-A thermocoil makes the steam (a constant flow right from the tank, you can go back to shots right after steaming, no need to cool down like for machines that make staem from the boiler.
-The portafilter is pressure controlled to help make consistant shots. (good for beginners)

Drawbacks:
-Not 3-way solenoid valve (your used grinds will ber wet and mushy - you won't knock-out a nice dry puck of coffee)
-Steam can be somewhat weak and you'll need some time to bring your milk to temperature
-The portafilter is pressure controled so you can't really experiment with your shots.
-This is not a commercial grade machine, don't beleive what they say.

I think this is very good for someone who doesn't want to have a headache over making espresso shots. Remember though that your little spinning blade grinder won't do a very good job at grinding coffee. Think at least to purchase a burr grinder in the near future. You won't need a very expensive one (they go from $50 to $500) since this machine won't be too sensitive on the grind size. If you don't, you better have a good relationship with your coffee supplier and play a little with the grind size.

I personally have a Rancilio Silvia which I love with a passion. Cost me $500 plus a $300 (Rancilio Rocky) grinder but makes many many circles around my brother's Breville. It is a wonderful machine whith a somewhat steep learning curve. It is very sensitive to grind size (as all good espresso makers are) which explains the need for a good grinder.

Another good choice for serious beginners could be the Gaggia Coffee. Both have a solenoid valve for dry used coffe pucks. The Rancilio is actually made of commercial parts. The portafilter is full sized and heavy. If you're serious, read about it a little. You can start here: wholelattelove.com its a retailer with an excellent knowledge base.

Bring back the 4 O'Clock Flash!!!

janker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages janker
oskay wrote:I bought one of these, and I can safely recommend to STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THIS MACHINE. It's worth its weight in scrap metal and nothing more.

While it looks pretty good, the number of things wrong with this machine are truly incredible. It is made of 100% pure failure. There are lots of subtle little problems like the fact that it's *not* possible to hold the filter basket in place while you bang the grounds out-- you have to scoop the grounds out or retrieve your basket from the trash. Or the fact that you can't pause while steaming milk without it venting the system and having to start warming it up again from scratch. Or the fact that the scrap water tray will indicate that it's full, but not until after it's so full that you can't carry it to the sink without spilling. Or the fact that you have to actually PHYSICALLY UNPLUG the machine whenever you're done making coffee, because the fancy LED-lit software-only power button doesn't actually cut the power off, so it will randomly start up in the middle of the night, run its pump for a while and overflow the water tank onto your kitchen floor.

"Brilliant design!"

What the heck were those jerks who made this thinking? Why the bleep did I waste money on this incredible piece of carp? Don't make my mistake!!!!

I am having the same issue with mine. It worked fine for a year, but recently just started powering up on it's own and draining the water tank. My only other complaint was mentioned above as well. If you pause while steaming milk, it vents it's steam and you have to wait for it to build up again (30 seconds) when you go back to steaming. Other than that it makes great coffee.

enigma326

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enigma326

Is anyone surprised that WA is lit up so brightly?
Seatlleites Unite~

androus2001

quality posts: 3 Private Messages androus2001

In for one. Have been thinking about buying a Rancilio Silvia for a while-- it is the gold standard of home espresso machines-- but at $600 have been shy to pull the trigger. And if I get bored with it-- that's a lot of $$$ down the drain.

For $150 this seems like a good way to dip my toes in the home espresso machine market.

In for one!!!

meh3884

quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884

would love to have one of these, but i can't do $150 for my morning coffee. may as well go to staaaahbucks

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

enigma326

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enigma326
janker wrote:I am having the same issue with mine. It worked fine for a year, but recently just started powering up on it's own and draining the water tank. My only other complaint was mentioned above as well. If you pause while steaming milk, it vents it's steam and you have to wait for it to build up again (30 seconds) when you go back to steaming. Other than that it makes great coffee.

My daughter has a toy dog that turns on by itself in the front room at night. Maybe they manufactured my daughter's toy too... llo sorry sad story guys~

androus2001

androus2001

meh3884 wrote:would love to have one of these, but i can't do $150 for my morning coffee. may as well go to staaaahbucks

Dude-- 30 trips to starbucks and this thing has paid for itself

unless you go to the Magical Starbucks where you only pay 30 cents for your Grande Latte

murnanjj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages murnanjj
elpepe wrote:The difference is that at a (reputable, at least) restaurant, the appliances are cleaned regularly and they are inspected by the health department. Now, I am not saying this is the case with these espresso machines, but someone could buy an appliance, use it once, not clean it for months while mold and mildew grew. If they then return it under warranty, how well is it actually cleaned? Maybe very well, maybe not. And the other thing is that of course not all the parts of this machine have the superhot water and high pressure ... some parts just sit there.

This is by far one of the silliest posts of the day. Something like this should never deter buyers for multiple reasons: 1) this is insanely speculative (if someone did this then maybe- maybe not); 2) its probably save to assume the company sterilizes the product thoroughly to avoid anything that some crazy owner did (like the possibility that something toxic was run through the thing); and 3) why would a company expose itself to legal liabilty for the sake of selling refurbs if it knows theres a good chance it cannot properly refurbish the product?? Point to real facts rather than basing a buying choice on mere speculation!

Joseph John Murnane

androus2001

For those of us in Cat withdrawal after the woot-off...

bkyhoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bkyhoe
androus2001 wrote:For those of us in Cat withdrawal after the woot-off...

that would be me!

With no woot off, I actually have to get stuff done. No more excuse to be lazy and sit at the computer

2woot2woot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2woot2woot
androus2001 wrote:Dude-- 30 trips to starbucks and this thing has paid for itself

unless you go to the Magical Starbucks where you only pay 30 cents for your Grande Latte

Starbucks? Is that the same as the place we call 5bucks around here?

2woot2woot

ppremont wrote:This would be a good beginner machine. The price is nice. Buy this instead of the crappy $40 steam driven espresso machine you'd from Target It makes some kind of coffee, not really espresso. It'll be stored on the back of that cupboard for the next year and then, in the trash.

On the plus side:
-Pump driven (not steam driven like those $40 useless espresso makers)
-Will make a good (not great) shot.
-A thermocoil makes the steam (a constant flow right from the tank, you can go back to shots right after steaming, no need to cool down like for machines that make staem from the boiler.
-The portafilter is pressure controlled to help make consistant shots. (good for beginners)

Drawbacks:
-Not tri-way soleinod valve (your used grinds will ber wet and mushy - you won't knock-out a nice dry puck of coffee)
-Steam can be somewhat weak and you'll need some time to bring your milk to temperature
-The portafilter is pressure controled so you can't really experiment with your shots.
-This is not a commercial grade machine, don't beleive what they say.

I think this is very good for someone who doesn't want to have a headache over making espresso shots. Remember though that your little spinning blade grinder won't do a very good job at grinding coffee. Think at least to purchase a burr grinder in the near future. You won't need a very expensive one (they go from $50 to $500) since this machine won't be too sensitive on the grind size. If you don't, you better have a good relationship with your coffee supplier and play a little with the grind size.

I personally have a Rancilio Silvia which I love with a passion. Cost me $500 plus a $300 (Rancilio Rocky) grinder but makes many many circles around my brother's Breville. It is a wonderful machine whith a somewhat steep learning curve. It is very sensitive to grind size (as all good espresso makers are) which explains the need for a good grinder.

Another good choice for serious beginners could be the Gaggia Coffee. Both have a solenoid valve for dry used coffe pucks. The Rancilio is actually made of commercial parts. The portafilter is full sized and heavy. If you're serious, read about it a little. You can start here: wholelattelove.com its a retailer with an excellent knowledge base.

Ovaltina, my goat, I just realized I am not only technically challenged but grind challenged as well....I pressed the big yellow button .... now what... I can't use my $15 grinder???? I need a $300 one...?

2woot2woot

enigma326 wrote:Is anyone surprised that WA is lit up so brightly?
Seatlleites Unite~

They have nothing else to do, whilst sitting under those umbrellas, but hope that Woot will have something to lift their gray spirits

bkyhoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bkyhoe

in a totally unrelated subject, does anyone use a satellite with TiVo? Was thinking of getting my parents Tivo for Christmas and wondering if it works ok with satellite.

labrocca

quality posts: 1 Private Messages labrocca

Buy a Gaggia for another $50-$100 and it will be worth it.

CardinalGoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CardinalGoldstein
2woot2woot wrote:Ovaltina, my goat, I just realized I am not only technically challenged but grind challenged as well....I pressed the big yellow button .... now what... I can't use my $15 grinder???? I need a $300 one...?

A spot-on proper grind isn't essential for this machine. It uses a pressurized portafilter and a crema enhancer, so you have some leeway. The bean whacker won't do, of course, but you can buy a small Cuisinart burr grinder for $50 at Costco when it is in season, and you'll be fine - they also have them at Fry's Electronics if you are fortunate enough to live near one.

And if you decide to step up to a true espresso machine in the future, you'll be ready to upgrade your burr grinder then, also.

androus2001

2woot2woot wrote:Ovaltina, my goat, I just realized I am not only technically challenged but grind challenged as well....I pressed the big yellow button .... now what... I can't use my $15 grinder???? I need a $300 one...?

don't put a $50 saddle on a $10 horse

use pre-ground espresso coffee in something like this

this guy recommends Illy Fine Grind, Medium Roast

link: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/breville800esxl/fkarayan/4452

andrewkl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages andrewkl
sticknam50392 wrote:I was actually looking for a gift for a friend who really likes coffee....but I'm not buying this.
Why? Not because I dislike the product.
I'm not buying it because Woot just sent out SEVEN IDENTICAL TWEETS IN THE PAST 14 MINUTES ADVERTISING THIS DAMN PRODUCT.
NO. I DON'T want 7 text messages for every piece of ... you guys try to sell.
EDIT: Just got yet ANOTHER text.
STOP WOOT, JUST STOP.
EDIT: DIE WOOT, DIE. 10 text messages is 9 too many, I've stopped following Woot.

Go to your "My account" page, and turn off the notifications...

That Was Easy.

Just really damn lucky: Random Crap: 2/15/08, 2/19/09, 12/25/09, 4/1/10, 12/1/10, 12/25/10, 4/1/11, 5/11/11, 9/14/11, 10/12/11, 12/25/11

titililly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages titililly

In for one

jcgking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcgking

I have a 10.00 Black and Decker coffee maker. Does that make me not cool?
Dang, thought I was cool

JustPaulPez

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JustPaulPez
kippyj wrote:This is a beautiful machine. If I hadn't spent so much money during the w00t-off, it would be mine. Nobody needs a $200 grinder to go with it...even I'M not THAT big a coffee snob! I have worked in restaurants before, too...many barristas are basically quite lazy. If you love your espresso, just buy it. At Starbucks' prices, this thing will pay for itself in a couple of months. Cleaning it isn't that big of a deal.

Kippy! Missed you (and Mel, and Tim, and Jaden, and Kimber, and...) over the last couple of days! Did you score your Bundle of Carrots yesterday?

I refuse to waste any more time trying to have a better past!

FJRFoxes

quality posts: 3 Private Messages FJRFoxes
Friesie wrote:Save yourself $125 and buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GXZ2GS

Aeropress...has great reviews...manual expresso maker.

THANKS

FJRFoxes

fast4d

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fast4d

this is a great price!

it's over $300 at bed,bath & beyond.

even though its "recertified"?

what the heck does that mean? reconditioned?

martinliv

quality posts: 2 Private Messages martinliv
tubasparky wrote:Utah ends up bright orange on the map for most Woots. I guess we love a good deal. However, Mormons don't drink coffee, so our state may stay dark for this one. I can't wait to see how that turns out.

Me either...that'll keep me in stitches for weeks... ;)

"Never rub another man's rhubarb." - The Joker

JustPaulPez

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JustPaulPez

I just love reading the posts about this!

I LOVE a good cup of coffee. But then again, I like a bad cup of coffee too!

Guess I'll go grab a refill out of the pumper in the office kitchen and save my money for the next w00t-off.
Have a great day everyone!

I refuse to waste any more time trying to have a better past!

raelalt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raelalt
murnanjj wrote:This is by far one of the silliest posts of the day. Something like this should never deter buyers for multiple reasons: 1) this is insanely speculative (if someone did this then maybe- maybe not); 2) its probably save to assume the company sterilizes the product thoroughly to avoid anything that some crazy owner did (like the possibility that something toxic was run through the thing); and 3) why would a company expose itself to legal liabilty for the sake of selling refurbs if it knows theres a good chance it cannot properly refurbish the product?? Point to real facts rather than basing a buying choice on mere speculation!

More like fantasy speculation. THis is a great machine for the price, it is about the cheapest cost you can do and still get real espresso. I have been making my own for 20+ years with periodic upscaling of machines and never before made such a good cup of espresso then with this machine. It is a little messy on cleanup due to the fact that the used grounds are soggy instead of dry, but it is still easy to do.

Ever had one of those days where you just felt like:
BadDay

*** 6/1/2007 Bollocks Of Cthulthu ***
Nyah, nyah, na-yah, nyah!

ppremont

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ppremont

Dear absent minded reader,

Use your $15 grinder. I really don't care about what you do, really.

For better results other people can get a 50$ grinder like I said, not $300. The coffee will be better.

But you, you can drink mud for all I care.

Bring back the 4 O'Clock Flash!!!

psumek

quality posts: 9 Private Messages psumek

Amazing machine. Completely worth the $150. Heck I get 20% @ Williams Sonoma and this is still a better a deal.

Only complaint I've ever heard is the espresso isn't hot enough. Seems to be the biggest reason for returns. Just an FYI.

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
FJRFoxes wrote:Aeropress...has great reviews...manual expresso maker.

THANKS

YES. Aeropress is the best for the money. Makes the best coffee.

cryosilver

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cryosilver

After just throwing away my empty $3 Starbucks cappuccino cup, I can say that I am so in for one

mbj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbj

WHAT'S UP WITH THE WOOT BLOG PUSHING SCIENTOLOGY? I HAVE BEEN CHECKING THIS SITE FOR OVER FOUR YEARS BUT NO MORE.

lucky77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lucky77

Think of the WOOT-OFF,you will need many espressos to stay up. So it is an investment.

ledzeppelin588

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ledzeppelin588

At this price, you're better off shelling out an extra $50-100 for a Gaggia Espresso or Carezza. There's a saying on coffeegeek, that if a company makes a toaster you probably shouldn't buy an espresso machine of the same brand (De Longhi, Breville). Also, the most important investment when getting an espresso machine is the GRINDER. I have a 500 dollar grinder (Mazzer Mini) that can pull excellent shots with Gaggia machines.

Also, note that this is a single boiler machine, so you can't steam and make espresso at the same time. If you want to do that, you'll have to shell out quite a bit more for an HX machine (like the Expobar Pulsar) or a double boiler (La Marzocco GS/3)

k0rtnie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k0rtnie
kippyj wrote:This is a beautiful machine. If I hadn't spent so much money during the w00t-off, it would be mine. Nobody needs a $200 grinder to go with it...even I'M not THAT big a coffee snob! I have worked in restaurants before, too...many barristas are basically quite lazy. If you love your espresso, just buy it. At Starbucks' prices, this thing will pay for itself in a couple of months. Cleaning it isn't that big of a deal.

*thumbs up* (to all of the above).
I bought a cute, solid little grinder from (gasp) Starbucks for about $30 bucks.
But, as for the cleaning issues, this machine COMES WITH a POD ADAPTER (capitalized for other readers to see), so you can buy the espresso pods, which will reduce/eliminate the cleanup hassles. *YAY*

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink

Good thing I was too busy working than to spend all of my money during the woot-off. Did the research, and it's got great reviews and it seems the company will help you with any problems. The best and most comprehensive reviews I found are here: http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/21434-breville-espresso-maker.aspx

I'm a newbie to the whole espresso maker world and figured I'd start with a solid model, which this seems to be, and at a great price. I'll probably go with pre-ground for now until I get the hang of things.

Looks like I'll not be purchasing shirts for a while either...

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

Bunnyko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bunnyko
DigMe wrote:A brass portafilter is the standard in high quality espresso machines. They are usually nickel-plated brass because it's heavier and holds heat better.

Looks like this one is stainless steel, not brass.
http://www.brevilleusa.com/products/800esxl/index.jsp?sku=800esxl&cID=108&pID=6&pvID=6

Look at the print ready produc sheet at the bottom of that link.

as long as it is not aluminum, most cheaper machines have aluminum portafilters, which can warp with repeated high heat, and your shots will taste bad. it just need to be a heavy-wieght material that can withstand the high heat of the machine.

Mescalero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mescalero
elpepe wrote:I'm sorry, but a used appliance that makes food or beverages is gross. Even if it does use boiling hot water and air 15 times greater than atmospheric pressure.

Are you serious or are you just trying to be funny? Refurbished DOES NOT mean used.