jakemercurio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jakemercurio

You usually shoot 2 shots at once with most machines, so a triple or a quad usually takes a good 2 mins to make. I've heard very good things about this machine : http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/breville800esxl/rehren/4599

Jacob Mercurio

heheman3000

quality posts: 1 Private Messages heheman3000
jjdarling wrote:My girlfriend's birthday is coming up soon, and I was starting to sweat. Thanks for taking care of me woot!

Exact same situation for me!

ppremont

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ppremont
shrumscott wrote:Does anyone know the warming time on this machine? You know, from plug-in to prime. Also, is there a significant time between shots (besides knocking out the old puck and tamping a new one)?

With this machine, there will be no "knocing the puck out" because you will have awet sludgy mess instead. Only machines equipped with a three-way soleinoid vvalve do that and they don't sell for less than 500 bucks.

Bring back the 4 O'Clock Flash!!!

Peitho

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Peitho

My Very First WOOT! I'm no longer a Wootergian.

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac

I can almost use any coffee making anymore as long as I use real Kona coffee from Hawaii. I must be just getting old......*sigh*

bkyhoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bkyhoe
grtgrfx wrote:So ya know...new high-def TiVos only work with Cable. SD TiVos work fine with Satellite but you won't get a sharp signal if you have HD service. I have a Series-2 TiVo connected by S-Video cable to my DirecTV box, and it controls the receiver just fine. However, it is NOT high-def, so you won't see widescreen channels on occasion (reverts to standard format and lower quality). If you don't have a HDTV, then it doesn't matter at all, TiVo works fine.

Thanks for the info

schelzel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schelzel

OK, so I took the plunge. Just got back form Italy, and they have this thing there they call "Coffee". We have some black stuff here in the US that I think actually goes by the same name.

Anyway, I bought it. Damn you, Woot.

So, now I need a grinder. I'm really thinking $50 (not $500). I'm a complete beginner, and not a serious coffee conniseur, but I can accept that the bean-whacker I have isn't going to alllow this machine to work properly. So, can someone recommend me an adequate, inexpensive grinder that won't I am an un-original person at espresso grinds? I saw this on Costco,:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11242594&search=grinder&Mo=5&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=grinder&Ntt=grinder&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

but Saeco doesn't rate well at Coffeegeek.com. But nothing under a 2-week paycheck rates well at Coffeegeek.

Can someone help?

RealifeTauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RealifeTauren

Ummm...I think an espresso machine is cool and all, and i'm as big a coffee snob as they get (about to invest in a home roaster), but I would personally not buy any espresso machine for my home.
http://fantes.com/espresso-stovetop.html
You can pick this style up for under $20, and it makes espresso at least as good as any "espresso machine". If you love espresso, and are thinking about buying something to make your espresso at home, check out the link.
Also, make sure you have a good burr grinder...absolute must. If you buy pre-ground, or grind them in the store, I am an un-original person. Don't even think an airtight container in the fridge or freezer is good enough. IT ISN'T! The condensation that collects on the coffee when you take the container out of a cold environment will stale the beans quicker than the same container on the counter.
Store WHOLE BEANS in an airtight container in a cupboard, and grind as needed.
Filtered water is fine, distilled tastes flat.
Seriously though, I can't recommend the stovetop type espresso maker enough.

KryseeMac

schelzel wrote:OK, so I took the plunge. Just got back form Italy, and they have this thing there they call "Coffee". We have some black stuff here in the US that I think actually goes by the same name.

So, now I need a grinder. I'm really thinking $50 (not $500). I'm a complete beginner, and not a serious coffee conniseur, but I can accept that the bean-whacker I have isn't going to alllow this machine to work properly. So, can someone recommend me an adequate, inexpensive grinder that won't I am an un-original person at espresso grinds? I saw this on Costco,:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11242594&search=grinder&Mo=5&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=grinder&Ntt=grinder&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

but Saeco doesn't rate well at Coffeegeek.com. But nothing under a 2-week paycheck rates well at Coffeegeek.

Can someone help?

Any electric coffee/herb grinder will work as long as you grind the coffee to the size you need for the machine. I also bought a decent, one inch wide paint brush, to sweep out the grinder every time I used it. Works great. Just don't ever really paint with the thing and you should be fine. *giggles*,

longdropbotha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longdropbotha

Does anyone know how quick this thing whips up a cup? Is it gonna beat the McDonalds drive-thru?

RealifeTauren

schelzel wrote:OK, so I took the plunge. Just got back form Italy, and they have this thing there they call "Coffee". We have some black stuff here in the US that I think actually goes by the same name.

Can someone help?

That coffee grinder will work just fine for you.

Also, pay attention to the grind settings, and Costco sells some good coffee's! I forget the brand, but it's in a yellow bag, and is about 2.5lb's. Sells for under $10. This is a very good home coffee for the price IMO.

RealifeTauren

KryseeMac wrote:Any electric coffee/herb grinder will work as long as you grind the coffee to the size you need for the machine. I also bought a decent, one inch wide paint brush, to sweep out the grinder every time I used it. Works great. Just don't ever really paint with the thing and you should be fine. *giggles*,

Blade grinder for spice, burr for coffee IMO. You will get more consistent results. A burr grinder acts like a pepper mill, and just seems to do a better job. I like that I press the button to grind, and then leave it grind and use the time to fill the water reservoir, and clean out the filter basket.

Then you can use the paint brush to...baste bbq ribs? hmmmm

RealifeTauren

longdropbotha wrote:Does anyone know how quick this thing whips up a cup? Is it gonna beat the McDonalds drive-thru?

STONE THE BLASPHEMER!

KenKaniff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KenKaniff

Yes I need to know how fast this takes from setup to cleanup.

I have a busy schedule but have a few minutes in the morning that I'd like to do this.

Beats standing in line during the morning rush!

Yea, so for those of you have this, how long would it say it takes you on average to enjoy this?

I currently use a POD system to eliminate some time. Thanks in advance!

worlddomnit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages worlddomnit

Blehhh i hate coffeeeee this is really cheep though =\

nlaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nlaw

If you think Star Bucks or the equivalent serve good coffee then you can ignore this post.

The whole comment section for this product just go to show how uninformed the general public is about espresso and coffee in general, especially if one considers how savvy Wooters are when it come to any other products.

Rule of thumb for good espresso:
Never use a Burr grinder that has a list price of less than $100.00.
Never use a pressurized filter basket.
Always grind your beans fresh, and use fresh beans (1 month maximum from roasting).
Always use a decent tamp (List price of more than $30.00 is preferable) with the basket.
Thermoblock is more convenient, but produces worse coffee than boilers.
If you want great steamed milk, then choose a machine with a dial steam control (as oppose to a button) with high roof temp(at least 300F is pref); this machine has a button (,and a steam helper which is worse).

What does this mean for this machine? It means that it's worth it for the price, but you better get the extended warranty (I'm getting 2 years) because the company has a bad reputation both in product durability and customer service. If you want good espresso then do some research and buy a non-pressurized double basket that would fit the machine (Krusp is often rccmnded for this) and a 51mm tamp; they should cost you under $50.00 altogether. An interesting fact is that because if its patented design, the machine might actually use all 15 bars it produces; that means it might actually work better than other machines of the same retail price range with the rccmnded add-ons.

KryseeMac

RealifeTauren wrote:Blade grinder for spice, burr for coffee IMO. You will get more consistent results. A burr grinder acts like a pepper mill, and just seems to do a better job. I like that I press the button to grind, and then leave it grind and use the time to fill the water reservoir, and clean out the filter basket.

Then you can use the paint brush to...baste bbq ribs? hmmmm

When you grind coffee that long it becomes so much powder you need the paint brush to wipe out the grinder. I am not talking about a cheap $1.99 brush either. It is so much easier to wipe it out each time with one.

rwoody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwoody
srlagarto wrote:These sensors will not work correctly if there is no mineral content in the water, and may cause the machine to "refuse" to brew espresso because it believes that there is no water in the tank." This makes sense, since distilled water isn't very good at conducting electricity.

Distilled water does not conduct electricity. The minerals in drinking water are what conducts electricity.

schelzel

nlaw wrote:If you think Star Bucks or the equivalent serve good coffee then you can ignore this post.

The whole comment section for this product just go to show how uninformed the general public is about espresso and coffee in general, especially if one considers how savvy Wooters are when it come to any other products.

Rule of thumb for good espresso:
Never use a Burr grinder that has a list price of less than $100.00.
Never use a pressurized filter basket.
Always grind your beans fresh, and use fresh beans (1 month maximum from roasting).
Always use a decent tamp (List price of more than $30.00 is preferable) with the basket.
Thermoblock is more convenient, but produces worse coffee than boilers.
If you want great steamed milk, then choose a machine with a dial steam control (as oppose to a button) with high roof temp(at least 300F is pref); this machine has a button (,and a steam helper which is worse).

What does this mean for this machine? It means that it's worth it for the price, but you better get the extended warranty (I'm getting 2 years) because the company has a bad reputation both in product durability and customer service. If you want good espresso then do some research and buy a non-pressurized double basket that would fit the machine (Krusp is often rccmnded for this) and a 51mm tamp; they should cost you under $50.00 altogether. An interesting fact is that because if its patented design, the machine might actually use all 15 bars it produces; that means it might actually work better than other machines of the same retail price range with the rccmnded add-ons.

OK, I am clearly in over my head. So, in simple terms, could you tell me what else I'm going to need to buy in addition to this woot just to make some cappucino?
Sounds like:
A burr grinder
A tamp (where, what kind, how much?)
Non-pressurized double basket (what is it? is it a typical "accessory" for a maching like this?

PS, I don't even know what "15 Bars" means. Any help?

Sorry, I'm clueless, but I generally trust Woot's product selection, so I lept.

rwoody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwoody
schelzel wrote:OK, I am clearly in over my head. So, in simple terms, could you tell me what else I'm going to need to buy in addition to this woot just to make some cappucino?
Sounds like:
A burr grinder
Non-pressurized double basket (what is it? is it a typical "accessory" for a maching like this?

15 Bars refers to pressure. "Bar" is a unit of pressure.

A non-pressurized double basket refers to the filter of the machine, i believe. From what i have read, non pressurized is better than pressurized.

Tamps can be bought a lot of places, just about any home/kitchen utility place would probably have one. Try to get one that fits your handle in which the grinds are placed. Metal ones that are more solid make the job easier, but plastic tamps work too.

someAFguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages someAFguy

Yeah I have the $10 coffee maker. Seems to do well. If I want to see steam and bubbles.... I'll stick a straw in my cup and blow. Funds arent looking good towards starting a coffee budget.

elpepe

quality posts: 12 Private Messages elpepe
schelzel wrote:OK, I am clearly in over my head. So, in simple terms, could you tell me what else I'm going to need to buy in addition to this woot just to make some cappucino?
Sounds like:
A burr grinder

Sorry, I'm clueless, but I generally trust Woot's product selection, so I lept.

You will need to get a coffee bean grinder. Burr has its fans.

I'm sure this comes with a tamp but it's probably junk. Go get a nice heavy one in any chef-supply store for like $10-$20.

You do not need to buy a new basket because it won't fit in this machine.

The other things you need are some nice espresso glasses and some coffee beans.

elpepe

quality posts: 12 Private Messages elpepe

Also, watch these two videos if you are a beginner at home-espresso:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbqE3Npk13k

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6rveFmgTo

maxers2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages maxers2

Hmm, sounds interesting but much more complicated than my instant coffee. Since I only drink coffee in the morning, I do not at that time have enough brain cells going to figure out how to work any type of machinery.

So, no go for me.

Gee, my avatar looks just like me!

tigergibb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tigergibb
longdropbotha wrote:Does anyone know how quick this thing whips up a cup? Is it gonna beat the McDonalds drive-thru?

including the time for you to drive in, wait in line, pay, and get your drink.. it's possible

dimondl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dimondl

Scored me one after researching all day....whew!! Now just hurry up and get it hear woot...im sleepy

vagent

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vagent

I guess my everyday food-lion brand brew would be wasted on this, so not for me.

schelzel

elpepe wrote:You will need to get a coffee bean grinder. Burr has its fans.

I'm sure this comes with a tamp but it's probably junk. Go get a nice heavy one in any chef-supply store for like $10-$20.

You do not need to buy a new basket because it won't fit in this machine.

The other things you need are some nice espresso glasses and some coffee beans.

Thanks everyone for the help.

fixnmix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fixnmix

WOOT - my very first woot, and after such an impressive woot-off. thanks to my 'friends' I am addicted.

silverlock22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverlock22

Odered one last night. Now anyone wanna buy my saeco, italia???

hashpling

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hashpling

Well, frak my tall hat. I be tired. Michigan frog here with a corndog palace.

CONSUMERISM!

hashpling

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hashpling
fixnmix wrote:WOOT - my very first woot, and after such an impressive woot-off. thanks to my 'friends' I am addicted.

I remember my first w00t! Gave my ol lady a glass bottom boat that night. Memories. memories.

CONSUMERISM!

NoSup4U

quality posts: 2 Private Messages NoSup4U

I'm sure multiple people must have said this by now, but llo at everyone that posted how they would never buy a reconditioned coffee maker. I guess you never eat out either because they reuse those pots and pans and who knows where they've been....

dudulook

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dudulook

wow, this one looks good quality

busterjonez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages busterjonez

Any time someone mentions "soupy grounds" it makes me, as a barista, very nervous.

Espresso is made by washing the uniformly ground beans of the coffee with hot water very quickly. The idea is to wash off the oils of the coffee as fast as possible, without exposing the ground coffee to too much water. Too much water dissolves bitter tasting starches out of the ground coffee. Great espresso is often amazingly sweet. If you wish for sweeter espresso, ask for a short shot (higher ratio of crema to espresso liquid).

Incidentally, oil and water don't mix. Which is why in properly drawn espresso has a layer of oil sitting on the top (crema). The (anti-oxidant) oils decompose rapidly with exposure to oxygen ~30 seconds after the shot is finished being drawn, so drink it quickly and enjoy!

You can stabilize the espresso oils by adding them to a stable oil, like milk. Steam milk first, and then pull your shots.

fiemiller

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fiemiller

I am wondering about the quality of these considering they have enough refurbs available to last the entire day on woot.

Hemo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Hemo
busterjonez wrote:
Incidentally, oil and water don't mix. Which is why in properly drawn espresso has a layer of oil sitting on the top (crema). The (anti-oxidant) oils decompose rapidly with exposure to oxygen ~30 seconds after the shot is finished being drawn, so drink it quickly and enjoy!

all the more reason to draw the shot directly into your mouth, eh?

busterjonez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages busterjonez
Hemo wrote:all the more reason to draw the shot directly into your mouth, eh?

The easy solution is to pour in a bit of half and half. The fat will dissolve the oils, and stabilize it. If you like it sweet, try con panna (with whip), yummers.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
engineire wrote:what's the best codec to bring the tivo file into a MPEG or DVD authoring file to put to DVD?
sorry bout off topic . . .

Feed the .tivo file through a burr grinder set to about MPEG 2. You want to extract pixels that are properly saturated. Once you're skilled enough, you may be able to create visual effects resembling pictures on your TV. Enjoy it quickly as many of them last only 30 minutes.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge
fiemiller wrote:I am wondering about the quality of these considering they have enough refurbs available to last the entire day on woot.

respiffied can be brand new, merchant agrees to call them respiffied so shoppers cannot request price matches from other merchants.

respiffied can mean a new machine re-boxed.

I really doubt they got a used machine returned and meticulously cleaned and polished it until it was just like new.

As to this machine it is a $300 machine being sold half price, likely due to the imminent collapse of the American civilization. If you were in the market for a $300 machine, save $150 and buy this. Detractors are comparing this to a $500+ machine and saying no espresso is better than less good espresso.

Based on the soggy grounds claims, you might do just as well with a Bialetti or Bialetti knock off. I have seen stainless steel Bialetti knockoffs for $20, I bought a used Mukka Express of eBay for $20 (shame on me but it works). But Bialletti is not an espresso machine.

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)