+ Add a Comment

saavikam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saavikam

They're still here. I guess we ran out of people who want a respiffed espresso maker.

9/24/08--First successful epic adventure woot

romey050500

quality posts: 1 Private Messages romey050500

Will this work with a mac?

editorkid

quality posts: 95 Private Messages editorkid
saavikam wrote:They're still here. I guess we ran out of people who want a respiffed espresso maker.

I'm actually still undecided, with a little more than an hour to go. But I think I'm going to wait for the next wootoff. I have a feeling there'll still be plenty of them available at that point.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
geo8rge wrote:

Based on the soggy grounds claims, you might do just as well with a Bialetti or Bialetti knock off. I have seen stainless steel Bialetti knockoffs for $20, I bought a used Mukka Express of eBay for $20 (shame on me but it works). But Bialletti is not an espresso machine.

That Mukka Express is interesting. Can you comment on how you might expect it to compare with the woot machine being offerred, in terms of the resulting beverage product?

rwoody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwoody
romey050500 wrote:Will this work with a mac?

OS independent, just don't let the motherboard have any.

Bunnyko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bunnyko
elpepe wrote:Also, watch these two videos if you are a beginner at home-espresso:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbqE3Npk13k

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS6rveFmgTo

yes! i <3 good eats.

kimaccio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimaccio

Woot, you had me at "$400 at Williams-Sonoma".

mpanelo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mpanelo

Will this work with a Mac? oops, didn't see you there....

love, laugh, golf

speedoo

Bunnyko wrote:yes! i <3 good eats.

Yeah, those videos finally overcame my resistance.

nlaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nlaw
elpepe wrote:

You do not need to buy a new basket because it won't fit in this machine.

What a load of bollocks. Please do your research before you talk like you know something, so as to misinform others. If you search up the coffee geek forum (www.coffeegeek.com), you will find that many people happily use this machine with a Krusp basket.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge
speedoo wrote:That Mukka Express is interesting. Can you comment on how you might expect it to compare with the woot machine being offerred, in terms of the resulting beverage product?

I have not used both. The Bialetti type machines do a good job and leave behind a 'hockey puck" if you use a fine grind. They are also pots so they are easier to clean and store when not in use. They stovetop espresso is inferior to the best machines. My guess is it is as good as the machine Woot is selling. The machine woot is selling looks like it can do a whole dinner party, one problem with bialetti type pots is you have to make whatever number of cups the thing is designed for, you cannot buy the 6 cup and make one cup of espresso. BTW, the Bialetti pots last forever and there are spare parts for sale online too. I have a pot stamped in the 1970s.

In NYC I have seen discount stores sell Mokka Express (not Mukka) knock offs for $10-$20. Mukka is nice as it makes a decent Latte/cappuccino in one pot. Otherwise buy a large demi tase pot and battery powered hand held mixing thing like aero latte (I think) for Latte type drinks.

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

speedoo

geo8rge wrote:I have not used both. The Bialetti type machines do a good job and leave behind a 'hockey puck" if you use a fine grind. They are also pots so they are easier to clean and store when not in use. They stovetop espresso is inferior to the best machines. My guess is it is as good as the machine Woot is selling. The machine woot is selling looks like it can do a whole dinner party, one problem with bialetti type pots is you have to make whatever number of cups the thing is designed for, you cannot buy the 6 cup and make one cup of espresso. BTW, the Bialetti pots last forever and there are spare parts for sale online too. I have a pot stamped in the 1970s.

In NYC I have seen discount stores sell Mokka Express (not Mukka) knock offs for $10-$20. Mukka is nice as it makes a decent Latte/cappuccino in one pot. Otherwise buy a large demi tase pot and battery powered hand held mixing thing like aero latte (I think) for Latte type drinks.

Thanks, excellent info.

TheHuntress

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheHuntress

Wondering when this will ship?

allnicksgone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allnicksgone
TheHuntress wrote:Wondering when this will ship?

Says within five business days on my receipt. Thursday, October 2nd is the fifth business day.

schelzel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schelzel

By which method was it supposed to ship? <Crosses fingers> Hope it isn't Smartpost, since I'd like to practice my espresson technique before Thanksgiving Dinner guests arrive.

schelzel

Anyone take out one of the Square Trade Warranties woot advertised with this product? If so, what period did you buy? Seems like it might not be a bad investment on these, given some of the reviews.

proph3t

quality posts: 0 Private Messages proph3t
schelzel wrote:Anyone take out one of the Square Trade Warranties woot advertised with this product? If so, what period did you buy? Seems like it might not be a bad investment on these, given some of the reviews.

I decided to get the two year, it was about $25 and from what I've read they seem like a good company.

I too had heard from quite a few people that these machines are prone to breaking, not to mention the product itself has already been "reconditioned". Seems like a safe bet.

qt11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages qt11

5 days for shipping.... awww man !!

but i'm thirsty.... mmmm.... crema goodness.....

Solais

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Solais

Staff

Shipping updated: The last of these have been shipped out today. Within the next day or two you should all receive a tracking email and your account will be updated with it as well.
On those that provided a physical address you can track your shipment by going to Fedex.com. The reference number to enter is your order number.

schelzel

Solais wrote:Shipping updated: The last of these have been shipped out today. Within the next day or two you should all receive a tracking email and your account will be updated with it as well.
On those that provided a physical address you can track your shipment by going to Fedex.com. The reference number to enter is your order number.

You're a Wootployee and only have 3-10 Woots? What restraint.

Thanks for the update.

mcoffey972

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcoffey972

Got mine today in Dallas, Tx. Great machine, ordering new filters for it to make it better but works flawlessly as is. No signs of return/respiffied, good woot!

mysticmiri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mysticmiri

Got Lavazza Espresso, Monin syrups, a new grinder, fancy tamper and nice cups.....all I need is a package from woot.... waiting impatiently.... oh yeah, and the pressure-less replacement filter should be in the mail tomorrow. I used to make espresso drinks with high end commercial machines, and the pressurized filer is unnecessary. Got the Krups double. Should work fine. Enjoy, Everybody!

schelzel

mysticmiri wrote:Got Lavazza Espresso, Monin syrups, a new grinder, fancy tamper and nice cups.....all I need is a package from woot.... waiting impatiently.... oh yeah, and the pressure-less replacement filter should be in the mail tomorrow. I used to make espresso drinks with high end commercial machines, and the pressurized filer is unnecessary. Got the Krups double. Should work fine. Enjoy, Everybody!

Would you mind posting a link to the Krups Double Basket you bought?

armenk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages armenk
schelzel wrote:Would you mind posting a link to the Krups Double Basket you bought?

Should be http://www.krupsonlinestore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=KRW+MS-0907163&MENU=&SKW=880&.

I found the cheapest source (with shipping) to be Ebay.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Edit: I RTFB(log) Warranty link included there.

Just got ship notice today. Crappy espresso here I come.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

BKBKBK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BKBKBK
armenk wrote:Should be http://www.krupsonlinestore.com/product_detail.asp?T1=KRW+MS-0907163&MENU=&SKW=880&.

I found the cheapest source (with shipping) to be Ebay.

You can also get it here:
http://authorizedappliance.com

Part number 0907163

mysticmiri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mysticmiri

I bought it at Amazon.com. Here's the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PJ6R8A

12.94 all together.

suegar6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suegar6

I ordered my Breville on Thursday and got it on Tuesday!! I love it!! It works great....I had my first of many, pumpkin lattes last night!

Green345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Green345

I got my espresso maker today. I was super excited opening it up! I read the manual and proceeded to make my first couple of shots. These went okay - they were a bit weak due to the machine not being heated enough I think. I tried again and got the perfect tamp on them and made two delicious shots.

I walked away from the machine for a bit and noticed that it started making a sound like it was pumping water again. The sound didn't stop. It kept pumping in new water while trying to heat what it was pumping in - to no avail. All this warm, excess water was getting pumped into the bottom tray. It kept pumping more water. Of course, the tray overflowed all over the counter. I turned the machine off and it kept pumping water. I had to literally unplug it from the wall to get it to stop. I guess its an error with the computer in the machine that tells it whether or not to discard hot water/release pressure or to pump new water in. I am calling Breville in the morning to try to get a replacement. Here's hoping they get me a new one quick!

pheasantdog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pheasantdog

I got mine in today too. I was so excited that I plugged it in to try it as soon as I got home. I followed the instructions to purge the system and when I plugged it in and turned it on, it just sat there with a blinking red light. It wouldn't heat the water. I gave it 30 minutes and the water was still the same temperature. I tried calling Breville and they didn't believe me that it wasn't working, put me on hold, then hung up on me. When I called back, I got an answering machine saying the office was closed.

I'll try again tomorrow. If no success...I will use it as an anchor for my boat.

whcargill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whcargill

Noticing from other posters, I am not the only one. So my machine just empties hot water into the bottom tray as it is heating. And after turned off, it began pumping all by itself in the kitchen; luckly I caught it before it flooded my countertop.

This is my first Woot, and I have no idea where to turn. I typically do not complain, and I was not expecting a perfect machine for half the price; but, I do expect it to work.

Can someone tell me what I can do at this point?

Thanks

sam11i

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sam11i

Do the machines you received look new or refurbished?

jmalto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmalto

Can someone tell me a non-pressurized portafilter that will work with this unit or will the Krups one work that was mentioned above? I am going to replace the filter asap and get a good tamp.

My unit also did not come with a single expresso shot filter, a cleaning tool, or the tamp itself. Did anyone else get these items?

Thanks.

pheasantdog

jmalto wrote:Can someone tell me a non-pressurized portafilter that will work with this unit or will the Krups one work that was mentioned above? I am going to replace the filter asap and get a good tamp.

My unit also did not come with a single expresso shot filter, a cleaning tool, or the tamp itself. Did anyone else get these items?

Thanks.

jmalto: take the bottom packing material out of the box. The single fileter and tamping tool are stuck to the bottom of the styrofoam.

My system looks new. Unfotunately, it doesn't act new.

jmalto

pheasantdog wrote:jmalto: take the bottom packing material out of the box. The single fileter and tamping tool are stuck to the bottom of the styrofoam.

My system looks new. Unfotunately, it doesn't act new.

Phesant - I will check when I get home, thank you! I was about to order replacement parts this morning so I will hold off until I check it. If anyone is looking for a good milk frothing thermometer, tamp, and the krups filter you can get it all off Amazon. It was $34 shipped for everything.

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink
Green345 wrote:I got my espresso maker today. I was super excited opening it up! I read the manual and proceeded to make my first couple of shots. These went okay - they were a bit weak due to the machine not being heated enough I think. I tried again and got the perfect tamp on them and made two delicious shots.

I walked away from the machine for a bit and noticed that it started making a sound like it was pumping water again. The sound didn't stop. It kept pumping in new water while trying to heat what it was pumping in - to no avail. All this warm, excess water was getting pumped into the bottom tray. It kept pumping more water. Of course, the tray overflowed all over the counter. I turned the machine off and it kept pumping water. I had to literally unplug it from the wall to get it to stop. I guess its an error with the computer in the machine that tells it whether or not to discard hot water/release pressure or to pump new water in. I am calling Breville in the morning to try to get a replacement. Here's hoping they get me a new one quick!

Mine is scheduled for delivery today...does it say anything in the manual about "standby" mode? Is the issue that the machine is being left on instead of turned off? If anyone has updates after contacted the mfr that's appreciated.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

pheasantdog

jmalto wrote:Phesant - I will check when I get home, thank you! I was about to order replacement parts this morning so I will hold off until I check it. If anyone is looking for a good milk frothing thermometer, tamp, and the krups filter you can get it all off Amazon. It was $34 shipped for everything.

I forgot to mention that my cleaning tool was inside the box containing the frothing mug. If you haven't opened it yet, you might check there for the tool.

Good luck. I hope yours works better than mine.

jmalto

Can someone post the link for the extended warranty woot was offering? I don't remember seeing it. I saw you can just go directly to square trade and fill in the info for $19.99, is that what was offered?

trnugent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trnugent
Green345 wrote:I got my espresso maker today. I was super excited opening it up! I read the manual and proceeded to make my first couple of shots. These went okay - they were a bit weak due to the machine not being heated enough I think. I tried again and got the perfect tamp on them and made two delicious shots.

WOW, I guess I'm not alone...I'm thinking WOOT is going to get a lot of these back... I got it and made one shot...which was great, unplugged it and went to bed. The next morning I plugged it back in, filled the tank and turned it on and it started pumping...the heating light was blinking so I watched it, waiting for it to go off...and listening to it sill pumping. Then I began noticing the drip tray is filling up...hoping it would stop...but it didn't. It empties the entire tank into the drip tray before it can even heat the water. I've tried to unplug/plug it back in...remove and replace everything, and all it does is pump water from the tank to the drip tray. I even tried tricking it by putting it in steam mode and then back to standby, but as soon as the dial is in standby it pumps the water out. Called Breville today and they made me send them my reciept and info via e-mail. Now I wait. Guess I should have heeded the warnings.

***UPDATE***
...and the good news is...I got this e-mail from Breville today...3 hrs after I reported the problem.

I’m going to replace the 800ESXL with a brand new unit for you. I apologize for any inconvenience the malfunction has caused you. I’m going to send you a Fed Ex label to ship your unit to us and once we receive your unit we will finish processing your order for the new unit to be sent to you. Below are the steps for the return Fed Ex label. Once we receive your unit it should only take 7-10 business days to receive your new unit.

kinlai8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kinlai8

Seeing all this has me *very* worried, since i havent gotten mine yet. Cheer me up, does *anyone* receive machines that actually WORK?