Exoskins

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Exoskins

Does anyone know if these work with Vista Ready boost?

Ready boost works best with Single Level Cell flash drives. If you are using Dual Level Cell flash drives, ready boost becomes very slow. SLC drives are much more expensive than DLC drives but are substantially faster in read/writes. Since the datatraveler is a Dual Level Cell flash drive they are not your first choice for ready boost. I use eBooster on my XP with a 2gb SLC Flash Drive and the results are fantastic. The results are similar on my Vista laptop. If you are interested in more info about hwat types of flash drive to use with ready bnoost or ebooster, just google ready boost compatibility and there are several sites with great info about flash drives that work best with ready boost or eBooster.
If you are using a DLC for your ready boost you are in for a great speed increase if you swap it out for a SLC unit.

b3nd3r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages b3nd3r

super good buy i own them and they are very useful

ya2sabes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ya2sabes

For all you impatient people who can't wait for rebates:

http://www.supermediastore.com/super-talent-8gb-sm-style-usb-flash-drive-black.html

8gb for 15.99 shipped.

pryoplasm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pryoplasm
Cheesewater wrote:I heard that the thumb-flicky thing wasn't too reliable. Any first thumb reviews?

Of the two I now own, both have had the thumb moving portion move after a matter of time. if you try to just keep it out, it make it a lot easier to break off the contacts inside for the usb portion that is soldered onto the breadboard. I was able to repair one of them, but I would not reccomend this woot, the usb sticks simple won't last

ihateu3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ihateu3

same price, same company, same model.....but its an 8 gig for the exact same price to the penny, with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134642

superfly68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superfly68

I'm in for 1 (or 2 as the case may be). Like i really NEED more fargin memory sticks...

TAYLORT5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
ihateu3 wrote:same price, same company, same model.....but its an 8 gig for the exact same price to the penny, with free shipping

I think you need glasses, the one for sale on woot is black & this one your showing is white. once you go black, you don't go back.and notice the ® on the white one...and the handle thingie.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

labombard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages labombard

Will this work on USB 1.1?

rhmurphy

quality posts: 19 Private Messages rhmurphy
labombard wrote:Will this work on USB 1.1?

Yes, but you won't get the same transfer speed.

I'm in for three!

Woot! Now 100+ woots for me!
That's 87 woots (Including Twelve Bats On Crack!), 12 Sellout.woots, 8 wine.woots and 4 kids.woots, and finally, 2 shirt.woots!

brian2000boston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian2000boston
Exoskins wrote:Does anyone know if these work with Vista Ready boost?

Ready boost works best with Single Level Cell flash drives. If you are using Dual Level Cell flash drives, ready boost becomes very slow. SLC drives are much more expensive than DLC drives but are substantially faster in read/writes. Since the datatraveler is a Dual Level Cell flash drive they are not your first choice for ready boost. I use eBooster on my XP with a 2gb SLC Flash Drive and the results are fantastic. The results are similar on my Vista laptop. If you are interested in more info about hwat types of flash drive to use with ready bnoost or ebooster, just google ready boost compatibility and there are several sites with great info about flash drives that work best with ready boost or eBooster.
If you are using a DLC for your ready boost you are in for a great speed increase if you swap it out for a SLC unit.

Kingston website says no

http://www.kingston.com/flash/dt100.asp?id=2

these do not support Vista ReadyBoost

Dazzle DVD Recorder x 1
Uniden DECT 6.0 Dual Handset Cordless Phone x 1, Leakfrog x 3
Orion Stainless Steel Convection Outdoor Cooker x 1
Random Crap x 3
DozyDotes Contemporary Child Rocker Recliner x 1
Pentax Optio E60 10MP Digital Camera x 1

Odd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Odd

missed the 8 gig during the woot off. in for 1

thepeacemaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepeacemaster

IN FOR 2 GOOD DEAL WOULD GET MORE IF I COULD

apctek1998

quality posts: 6 Private Messages apctek1998

Picking up an 8gb lexar fire-fly today for 24 bucks at Fry's so this is not looking so great to me right now

Genomerio

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Genomerio

And I was just thinking of buying a new flash drive since I keep losing them and just have a slowpoke 1GB freebie left. Great woot to restock.

bud85pk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud85pk

Got the 8 gig a couple months ago and love it! Very handy.

reeds101

quality posts: 2 Private Messages reeds101

Got one, need one for school and one for personal files, so this works perfectly for me, the same total storage as an 8 gb but I can keep my files separate.

rookie1132

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rookie1132

2nd woot. love 2 for tues. I got the 2gig kingston SD cards last time. I used one to transfer all my music to my new comp. It worked great. My son had to reboot his comp. the other day and it saved his ifo that he didn't want to lose. Anyway I trust Kingston, and with 2 kids in digipen, (gameing college) these will make great stocking stuffers.

davidmichaelmalloy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmichaelmalloy
apctek1998 wrote:Picking up an 8gb lexar fire-fly today for 24 bucks at Fry's so this is not looking so great to me right now

$20 for 8gb of Thumb-Driving + Added convenience of staying at home
$24 for 8gb of Thumb-Driving - Inconvenience of driving to the store

You lose.

Woots-to-date:

-ESPN The Ultimate Universal Remote with WiFi
-6 Device Charging Station
-Kingston 4GB USB 2.0 Data Traveler Thumbdrive (2 Pack) || -Linksys Network Optimizer for Gaming & VOIP || -Kensington Optical Wireless USB Mouse (2 Pack) || -RCA 200 watt 5.1 Channel Home Theater System w/5 DVD Changer || -Westinghouse SlicerToaster Two-Pack || -The Ultimate Matrix Limited Edition Collector’s Set

davidmichaelmalloy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmichaelmalloy
ihateu3 wrote:same price, same company, same model.....but its an 8 gig for the exact same price to the penny, with free shipping

Phale. Not the same product.

Woots-to-date:

-ESPN The Ultimate Universal Remote with WiFi
-6 Device Charging Station
-Kingston 4GB USB 2.0 Data Traveler Thumbdrive (2 Pack) || -Linksys Network Optimizer for Gaming & VOIP || -Kensington Optical Wireless USB Mouse (2 Pack) || -RCA 200 watt 5.1 Channel Home Theater System w/5 DVD Changer || -Westinghouse SlicerToaster Two-Pack || -The Ultimate Matrix Limited Edition Collector’s Set

dmer269601

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmer269601

I'm in for two sets!

rbihun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbihun

I'm In! i'm still carrying around a 64MB one...how embarrassing...

stevegoad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevegoad

Well.I'm in for a set.

I don't know "ready boost" - I open, drag and drop files. A 4 gig thumb drive is a great thing for me as I carry songs from the Mac in my recording studio to my Vista laptop. Having 2 will just make it all the better... one for business, one for personal. I'm definitely in.

BAWatz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages BAWatz
kitcatbrat wrote:the 8 gig was $5 more

ONE 8 gig was $5 more. Don't forget that the "item" being offered today is a PAIR of these 4 GB drives.

donjoyking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donjoyking

the prices in flash drives have really gone down, good chance this is not the greatest deal, besides, there is also the size of thing to take into consideration and the durability, this thing is plastic, and pretty big

cguytech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cguytech

I own two of the 8GB models. They crack apart down the center seam, I have to use electrical tape to hold it togther. The drive is VERY difficult to insert into a USB port because there is very little gripping surface and the male end retracts back into the drive when you attempt to insert it. JUNK!!

WootAnimal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WootAnimal

Im in for 1...well 1x2 :P

BAWatz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages BAWatz
zikzak wrote:The second is that sometimes you push it in and it starts to retract so you can't push it in the port.

Ah, USB flash drive erectile disfunction. I think that there are drugs for that.

billrhea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billrhea

This is a killer deal.............. Great stocking stuffers

RasOne

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RasOne

In for 3 (2 packs)! This will make another nice set of stocking stuffers. Everyone can always use another thumb drive!

ravenfury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravenfury
brian2000boston wrote:Kingston website says no

http://www.kingston.com/flash/dt100.asp?id=2

these do not support Vista ReadyBoost

Weird. I have the same drive. I tried using Ready boost on mine and it work using 1gb of space.
My flash drive has data in it already. I'll try it later after emptying it.

bromanzier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bromanzier

in for one... been rolling with 256mb for too long

RasOne

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RasOne

I should be using larger thumb drives, the one I have plugged in at the moment is only 256MB. Still large enough for the Word files I need to transfer to the PC without a network connection. I might keep one of them for myself and use the others for Christmas Stocking Stuffers!

pjmanhart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjmanhart

these suck. Will not fit on ANY key chain.

ahfomike

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ahfomike

I'm in for 2...but if I read the product specs right-the package is a 2 pack...so doesn't that mean for a single purchase you get 4 ??????

mediaocker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mediaocker

if you only want one, check out buy.com:
Kingston 2GB Flash Memory DataTraveler 101 w/ Secure Traveler (Pink)  
SAVE $10.98 
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING  
Buy.com price: $7.77
List price: $18.75  
-and it's pink

"-ask not woot you can do for your country, ask woot you can consume..."

myokubai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myokubai

I'm in for 3...will make great stocking stuffers!

Woot! Woot!

kirkcandan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kirkcandan

These little things are great.

Bought two 1Gb Data Travelers over a year ago from Woot.com and have been VERY happy with them. Thanks!

mediaocker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mediaocker
mediaocker wrote:if you only want one, check out buy.com:
Kingston 2GB Flash Memory DataTraveler 101 w/ Secure Traveler (Pink)  
SAVE $10.98 
FREE BUDGET SHIPPING  
Buy.com price: $7.77
List price: $18.75  
-and it's pink

Doh! i got my Gigs confuzed...

to quote Emily Latilla, " Never Mind.."

"-ask not woot you can do for your country, ask woot you can consume..."

arslock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arslock

anybody use these on macs? I need my flash drives to play well with both OSs.

also, do you think upgrading from a 2gb would even be worth it?

tempting woot, very tempting...

ZDarryl

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ZDarryl

I just bought an 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Titanium for $30 from Buy.com

Much better drive for$10 more w/ free shipping

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206917839&adid=17653&dcaid=17653

7+ Years
81 woots
219 items
1 order to steal1
$2,458.57 and counting!!!!!