Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

TOM HANKS FIXES HIS SPACESHIP PROBLEM AND HIS HOUSE PROBLEM WITH DUCT TAPE!

Josephus

KEVIN BACON, BY LAW, IS IN EVERY FILM.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

TOM HANKS THINKS HOOCH IS DEAD, BUT HOOCH MIRACULOUSLY LIVES AND FATHERS MANY BABY HOOCHES WITH SOME BITCH.

Josephus

NOAH ISN'T ALLOWED INTO THE PROMISED LAND!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

BILL MURRAY REALIZES THAT THE ONLY WAY TO BREAK THE LOOP IS BY BEING A SELFLESS, COMPASSIONATE HUMAN BEING. ANDY MACDOWELL FALLS FOR HIM, AND NEVER DOES ANYTHING WORTHWHILE WITH HER CAREER EVER AGAIN.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

kenney9226

TOM HANKS IS THE CONDUCTOR, THE HOBO, SANTA CLAUS, THE KID, AND PRETTY MUCH EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE MOVIE BECAUSE HE IS THE GREATEST ACTOR EVER AND NOBODY ELSE COULD DO IT AS WELL AS HIM!!

kenney9226

TOM HANKS IS A SLEAZY CONGRESSMAN WHO SAVES THE WORLD FROM BAD GUYS USING THE POWER OF PERSUASION!

Josephus

THAT WHOLE MOVIE BASICALLY SUCKED!

EDIT: THE POLAR ONE.

PemberDucky

Staff

THE DEMENTED LITTLE GIRL CRAWLS THROUGH A TELEVISION SCREEN AND KILLS A DUDE. I SPEND THE REST OF THE MOVIE STARING AT THE INSIDE OF MY SHIRT.

kenney9226

TOM HANKS REGRETS HAVING TO CARRY OUT THE DEATH PENALTY ON MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN AFTER HE MIRACULOUSLY HEALS HIS KIDNEY STONE PROBLEM!

kenney9226

TOM HANKS MEETS MEG RYAN AT THE TOP OF THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING AFTER IT'S CLOSED ON VALENTINE'S DAY BECAUSE HOS BOY FORGOT HIS LITTLE TEDDY BEAR ON THE OBSERVATION DECK AND IT'S TOTALLY MAGIC!

kenney9226

TOM HANKS FEUDS WITH MEG RYAN BY DAY AND EMAILS HER LOVE NOTES AT NIGHT, AND DOESN'T REALIZE IT'S HER UNTIL ABOUT HALFWAY THROUGH THE FILM SO HE PLAYS TRICKS ON HER AND SHE STILL LOVES HIM AFTER SHE FINDS OUT!!

WayneAndGarth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WayneAndGarth

APPARENTLY SKEKTEK IS ON 96 HOURS PROBATION FOR "REFERRAL LINKING" WHEN IT'S PROHIBITED. WHAT THE $#%#$% IS UP WITH THAT? HE NEVER LINKED FOR SALE STUFF, JUST STUFF ASKING FOR VOTES. IS WOOT CRACKING DOWN ON THAT?

Ya, right!!!

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
WayneAndGarth wrote:APPARENTLY SKEKTEK IS ON 96 HOURS PROBATION FOR "REFERRAL LINKING" WHEN IT'S PROHIBITED. WHAT THE $#%#$% IS UP WITH THAT? HE NEVER LINKED FOR SALE STUFF, JUST STUFF ASKING FOR VOTES. IS WOOT CRACKING DOWN ON THAT?

His signature contained referral linking, masked by Bit.ly. But, you should know that, since you share a connection.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Josephus

THE RUSSIANS BASICALLY KICK THE ASS OF THE JAYHAWKS.

kenney9226

Josephus wrote:THE RUSSIANS BASICALLY KICK THE ASS OF THE JAYHAWKS.

WOLVERINES!!!!!!

WayneAndGarth

Gatzby wrote:His signature contained referral linking, masked by Bit.ly.

WHICH ONE? SO I CAN TELL HIM WHICH ONE TO DELETE...

Ya, right!!!

Josephus

THE BOMB BLOWS UP THE DARK STAR.

kenney9226

WAYNESTOCK IS A WILD SUCCESS!

Gatzby

WayneAndGarth wrote:WHICH ONE? SO I CAN TELL HIM WHICH ONE TO DELETE...

The offending one was removed from his signature already. I believe it was a threadless referral.

Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.

Josephus

SLIM PICKENS RIDES A BOMB DOWN TO OBLIVION!

kenney9226

HOLLYWOOD MAKES A MOVIE ABOUT HOW FRANCIS STOLE PEE WEE'S BIKE!

kenney9226

IT.. WAS... THE... DUKES...
IT.. WAS... THE... DUKES...

THEN

LOOKING GOOD, BILLY RAY!
FEELING GOOD, LOUIS!

kenney9226

BASKETCASE + ATHLETE
PRINCESS + CRIMINAL
BRAIN DOES NOT MAKE A LOVE CONNECTION

kenney9226

Josephus wrote:FIONA IS ACTUALLY AN OGRE!

THAT TRULY WAS A SHOCK...

Josephus

Gatzby wrote:His signature contained referral linking, masked by Bit.ly. But, you should know that, since you share a connection.

WHY DON'T YOU GIVE MORE THAN 500 CHARACTERS IN THE SIG, AND PREVENT PEOPLE FROM USING THOSE TINY URLS? THAT'S WHY WE USE THEM, WHEN WE DO, MOST OF US. NOT ENOUGH SPACE TO LINK TO OUR DESIGNS.

Josephus

Snapster wrote:I have noted that within the referral links to some other sites, affiliate and/or referral credit tags are being inserted by the poster. While many of these links are themselves fun/helpful highlights that are appreciated (especially here on shirt.woot when they are community related), the inclusion of credit codes for financial gain is against core woot philosophy and subjects these links to moderation - please refrain from posting affiliate/referrer coded links in the future and post just the raw linkage.

Affiliate codes risk bias due to the economic incentive going to the poster and can result in widespread spam encroachment if not stopped universally.

Moderators may be taking intent and goodwill/reputation into consideration where possible, including the allowance of some codes in personal signatures, but this may not always be possible.

thanks

I BOLDED THE RELEVANT PORTION.
WHAT ABOUT THAT, GATZ? DOES SKEKTEK HAVE A BAD REPUTATION OR HAS HE BEEN REPEATEDLY PROBATIONED FOR ANY REASON IN THE PAST? GIVEN THAT THERE WAS NO WARNING ABOUT THIS, IT SEEMS A BIT HARSH.

Gatzby

Josephus wrote:I BOLDED THE RELEVANT PORTION.
WHAT ABOUT THAT, GATZ? DOES SKEKTEK HAVE A BAD REPUTATION OR HAS HE BEEN REPEATEDLY PROBATIONED FOR ANY REASON IN THE PAST? GIVEN THAT THERE WAS NO WARNING ABOUT THIS, IT SEEMS A BIT HARSH.

Referral linking has never been permitted though, as noted here under number two. (*Waits for semantics argument to ensure.*)

There is a difference between a link to Threadless to support a shirt, and one that contains a referral/affiliate link. You can read about their referral program here.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Gatzby wrote:There is a difference between a link to Threadless to support a shirt, and one that contains a referral/affiliate link. You can read about their referral program here.

mr. gatzby,

can we see the offending link with referral code, perhaps in a pm or somewhere? i find it hard to believe that prof. skektek would intentionally include a referral code, since he hasn't previously, and i would also like to know what it looks like, so i can look for it and delete it in my own threadless links in the future.

Josephus

I DON'T THINK I'D WANT THE REFERRAL LINK IN MY SHIRT VOTE REQUEST ANYWAY- WOULDN'T AN INDEPENDENT VOTE BE WORTH MORE THAN ONE FROM MY FRIEND?

Gatzby

no1 wrote:mr. gatzby,

can we see the offending link with referral code, perhaps in a pm or somewhere? i find it hard to believe that prof. skektek would intentionally include a referral code, since he hasn't previously, and i would also like to know what it looks like, so i can look for it and delete it in my own threadless links in the future.

It would look something like:
http://www.threadless.com/product/0000/Your_Shirt_Title?streetteam=threadlessusername

So, say I was trying to sell a shirt named I Hate Gatzby and my username was GatzbySucks it would be:
http://www.threadless.com/product/0000/I_Hate_Gatzby?streetteam=GatzbySucks.

You can read up on what their referral program is by visiting them here.

WayneAndGarth

no1 wrote:mr. gatzby,

HE LINKED THE THREADLESS DESIGN, ASKING FOR VOTES, WHICH ISN'T APPARENTLY ALLOWED. ALSO, THERE WAS A LINK TO THE SPONGE DESIGN ON CAMEESA, WHICH ALSO APPARENTLY ISN'T ALLOWED.

NEITHER IS ACTUALLY BEING SOLD AT THE MOMENT. HOWEVER, ONE COULD CONCEIVABLY ARGUE THAT ANY IMAGELINK IN A SIGNATURE TO A DERBY ENTRY IS POTENTIALLY FOR PROFIT.

BUT, SKEKTEK IS REALLY SORRY AND PROMISES NEVER TO DO IT AGAIN IF HE CAN COME BACK.

EDIT: OOOOOH! IT WAS THE "STREET TEAM" ENDING THAT WAS BAD. SKEKTEK DIDN'T REALIZE THAT THE LINK HAD THAT ON THERE. SO A THREADLESS LINK IS OK AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HAVE THE STREETTEAM ENDING. GOT IT.

Ya, right!!!

Gatzby

WayneAndGarth wrote:HE LINKED THE THREADLESS DESIGN, ASKING FOR VOTES, WHICH ISN'T APPARENTLY ALLOWED. ALSO, THERE WAS A LINK TO THE SPONGE DESIGN ON CAMEESA, WHICH ALSO APPARENTLY ISN'T ALLOWED.

NEITHER IS ACTUALLY BEING SOLD AT THE MOMENT. HOWEVER, ONE COULD CONCEIVABLY ARGUE THAT ANY IMAGELINK IN A SIGNATURE TO A DERBY ENTRY IS POTENTIALLY FOR PROFIT.

BUT, SKEKTEK IS REALLY SORRY AND PROMISES NEVER TO DO IT AGAIN IF HE CAN COME BACK.

Actually, he linked to a design on Threadless using their StreetTeam referral program, which is the problem.

You could conceivably argue that, but then you'd just be arguing for the sake of arguing and grumpiness.

Josephus

Gatzby wrote:Referral linking has never been permitted though, as noted here under number two. (*Waits for semantics argument to ensure.*)

There is a difference between a link to Threadless to support a shirt, and one that contains a referral/affiliate link. You can read about their referral program here.

ensue.
My question is whether you can't use discretion in deciding to probation someone who doesn't seem to have the reputation of someone who is likely to be a repeat offender. I'm not questioning whether you are within the strict interpretation of the rules to put him on probation, I'm questioning whether you are fomenting good will while teaching the lesson. According to Snapster, woot has in the past been very lenient with Adder, considering the sort of behavior he has exhibited. Yet, I don't recall SkekTek having ever broken a significant rule, other than perhaps some petty baiting of the mods sort of things- seems to be a much better sort of individual to exhibit some discretion about to me.

WayneAndGarth

Gatzby wrote:Actually, he linked to a design on Threadless using their StreetTeam referral program, which is the problem.

You could conceivably argue that, but then you'd just be arguing for the sake of arguing and grumpiness.

SORRY. I WILL NOT ARGUE ANYMORE. I KNOW WHAT WAS BAD NOW. US DESIGNERS SHOULD BE MORE CAREFUL WHEN POSTING LINKS ON SIG IMAGES...

Ya, right!!!

Gatzby

Josephus wrote:ensue.
My question is whether you can't use discretion in deciding to probation someone who doesn't seem to have the reputation of someone who is likely to be a repeat offender. I'm not questioning whether you are within the strict interpretation of the rules to put him on probation, I'm questioning whether you are fomenting good will while teaching the lesson. According to Snapster, woot has in the past been very lenient with Adder, considering the sort of behavior he has exhibited. Yet, I don't recall SkekTek having ever broken a significant rule, other than perhaps some petty baiting of the mods sort of things- seems to be a much better sort of individual to exhibit some discretion about to me.

Generally speaking, the leniency comes into play regarding the severity of the punishment, not the application of it. In some cases, not outright banning them is the leniency.

However, it looks like someone could mistakenly include the StreetTeam referral in their link and not know it was a referral program, since it applies to all Threadless users. With that in mind, I'm going to remove the probation, but now that the warning is out there, I hope not to see the links any more.

Note that it looks like it requires extra effort on the part of the user to include the links, since a great many users link to designs without including the referral code...

WayneAndGarth

Gatzby wrote:Generally speaking, the leniency comes into play regarding the severity of the punishment, not the application of it. In some cases, not outright banning them is the leniency.

However, it looks like someone could mistakenly include the StreetTeam referral in their link and not know it was a referral program, since it applies to all Threadless users. With that in mind, I'm going to remove the probation, but now that the warning is out there, I hope not to see the links any more.

Note that it looks like it requires extra effort on the part of the user to include the links, since a great many users link to designs without including the referral code...

THANKS, GATSBY. I'M SURE NOW THAT THIS IS WELL KNOWN, IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN.

Ya, right!!!

PemberDucky

Staff

YAY, EVERYTHING IS RESOLVED. CAN WE CAP SOME LOCKS NOW?

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

HURRAH! SKEK IS BACK!! AND NOW, A MOMENT OF BOLD CAPS IN HONOR OF THE FOUNDER OF THE CAPS LOCK THREAD.
BOLD

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1