cshupe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cshupe
peteswoot wrote:yes, acceptable, but not correct

I still disagree. Emphasis on the second word means a pause between...my spelling would depend on the spoken word. Written, both are correct. You were wrong to call out the original post.

"There is a grammatical misunderstanding common to many U.S. Americans, largely because we learned about grammar in the either/or terms of right vs. wrong. Here's the misunderstanding: can not or cannot? My public school teachers said can not was the correct form, and that cannot was a corruption. A friend of mine from a previous generation was taught the opposite. Her son, much better at using the language than either of us, said both were right, but usage depended on context."

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles
TooOldForThis wrote:I view acceptable as correct, especially if the intent was to show emphasis. Incorrect would be something like, "Gov. Palin has all ready shot her moose."

How about her hunting partner like that dude Cheney did? I won't, however, turn this into a political debate by wondering if she's going to get to be V.P. or not.

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis
peteswoot wrote:you gave the original poster far more credit than I

And being generous would be wrong?

Well, maybe in this case. Chastising someone for spelling in a blog posting after midnight, where many contributors think speed is more important than spell checking, may have been uncalled for. So I will generously cede you victory, on the grounds that the original poster was too busy being spiteful to pay attention to his/her own grammar.

bacta785

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bacta785
peteswoot wrote:cannot, one word, not two

Darn, you beat me to it...

basschica

quality posts: 2 Private Messages basschica

I think $80 for a good blender is totally reasonable. I had a $50 to $60ish "smoothie" blender with a spout and it was a piece of junk. When it was continually leaking out of the base since cheap ones have that screw bottom to the carafe, I threw it out and got a Kitchen Aid that was roughly $100. If I wasn't totally happy with it, I'd buy this one. It looks saweet and in my opinion it's better to have 1 expensive blender that lasts a long time and never frustrates you than buying a new cheap $20 every other year and swearing at it every time you try to make anything. This looks like a good woot to me.

niklan123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages niklan123

I am Joe the Plumber and I bought three. As for all you nerds that sit around on your fat ass, and correct spelling on others, you really need to get a life. I make over $250,000.00 a year, and I’m sorry but I don’t want to redistribute the wealth with any of you. A bunch of losers working for me, and looking for a handout. You can spell, big deal. I hire low life’s like you for minimum wage. So I’m rich, and you can spell, big deal. I guess I was out getting laid, when you were home studying, and playing your computer games. You pimple faced nerds really need to get a life, and get rid of your blow up dolls. Trust me the real thing is much better, and more expensive.

tla290

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tla290

In for one...I have some rocks in the backyard I need to turn into gravel.

spatchcock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spatchcock
Aaron385 wrote:$80 blender.. are you serious?? maybe woot doesn't understand what a recession is.

maybe you don't understand a $200 blender on sale for $80. recession...great frozen drinks...when you really need them most.

peteswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peteswoot
bacta785 wrote:Darn, you beat me to it...

Plenty of time to join in, many uneducated on here believe I'm wrong

zozzles

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zozzles
aausterm wrote:Here is a video of an iPhone getting blended...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI

I thank you from the bottom of my tin-plated heart. Oh - I don't have one yet. Where is the Wizard when you need him?

Signed:

Tin Woodman (or possibly Woodsman, according to Wikipedia).

edit: I think I've got 5 706'th postings at this point. Of course, they'll be gone tomorrow, but it just feels WONDERFUL!

TooOldForThis

peteswoot wrote:Plenty of time to join in, many uneducated on here believe I'm wrong

How polically incorrect. The term is "differently educated," if you please.

peteswoot

TooOldForThis wrote:How polically incorrect. The term is "differently educated," if you please.

go to bed, you are "TooOldForThis" nonsense

cshupe

Dazphotog wrote:Actually both are correct in this context...read this post from http://alexfiles.com/cannot.shtml

There is a grammatical misunderstanding common to many U.S. Americans, largely because we learned about grammar in the either/or terms of right vs. wrong. Here's the misunderstanding: can not or cannot? My public school teachers said can not was the correct form, and that cannot was a corruption. A friend of mine from a previous generation was taught the opposite. Her son, much better at using the language than either of us, said both were right, but usage depended on context.

Here's the explanation: If I can not do something, then I can also do it. I can not write these words if I choose (and you may think I shouldn't), but I also can, and am, writing them. What I cannot do is know who will read them, or what they will think. I can imagine such things, but I'm limited by my experience and perceptions. So this is the rule: if you either could or could not do something, then you use two words, because you can leave out the second word if you so choose. If you could not do something no matter how much you desired or tried, then you use one word, cannot. There is no other option.

Sometimes both are true. Witness:

I cannot change the world.

I can not change the world.

It's true, I cannot change the world. What I mean, and what many mean when they say or think this to themselves, is that the world's problems are too big for any one person, or group of people, to take on. Poverty, sickness, hatred, love, weather, earthquakes, political and religious differences—these are inevitable conditions. Even Jesus said, "the poor you will have with you always," and, "Let the dead bury the dead."

It's also true that I can change the world. I, and every other person on the planet, can make a difference. We can give to the poor, and try to cure ourselves of the sickness of wealth (more on that later). We can be courteous, we can provide emotional (listening) or physical (assisting) or financial (donating) help to others, we can feed and help and forgive each other. (More about forgiveness later, too.) We can take in an abandoned dog or cat and give it love. We can plant a garden. We can put in a day's work and know we earned our pay, and someone, hopefully, was the better for it. We can not cut off someone in traffic. We can dedicate our lives to healing. We can dedicate our lives to loving our family and community. We can respect the differences of others. In other words, what we can do, we can do.

Grammar is the tool we use to communicate and should be taught as such. Our bodies, our minds, and our voices are the tools we have to interact with our universe. We must use them while we live; we cannot evade using them except through death or dire injury. In this sense we cannot not change the world. And now, while the world suffers on every level, from the sky to the deeps of the sea, from humans to tiny coral polyps, we can make what time we have count.

Don't berate yourself for previous behavior. Don't congratulate yourself, either. Just take the next opportunity to make a difference to the next person, and help make what we cannot change bearable.

that one blew my mind, too.

peteswoot

cshupe wrote:that one blew my mind, too.

think about this.. in that write-up it said if it is something I cannot know (and I cannot know if the original poster can spell or not) then it is MOST correct to say "he cannot spell" NOT "he can not spell"

cshupe

peteswoot wrote:think about this.. in that write-up it said if it is something I cannot know (and I cannot know if the original poster can spell or not) then it is MOST correct to say "he cannot spell" NOT "he can not spell"

joe plumber says i can spell.
and i took "uneducated" personally.

peteswoot

cshupe wrote: i took "uneducated" personally.

oh well

rcash54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcash54

Hey look, it comes with an iphone inside!

TooOldForThis

peteswoot wrote:think about this.. in that write-up it said if it is something I cannot know (and I cannot know if the original poster can spell or not) then it is MOST correct to say "he cannot spell" NOT "he can not spell"

My reading of the write would lead to this:

I cannot know that he can not spell. I also cannot know that he can spell. I only know that, this one time, he did not spell one word correctly.

Alternatively, "I am not sure I can believe someone who can not spell. (I can only believe someone who chooses to spell correctly all the time.)"

As I said before, though, I don't think that insurancesux put a lot of thought into it, so he probably meant the sense of "cannot" and was, therefore, incorrect in his usage. Unfortunately, we cannot know whether he has being precise or sloppy.

peteswoot

[quote postid="2652132" user="TooOldForThis"]My reading of the write would lead to this:

that you are too old and too tired and that you should go to bed?

Sweeeet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sweeeet
cshupe wrote:joe plumber says i can spell.
and i took "uneducated" personally.

enough, you two. Srsly. If you must continue with this polemic, use this forum's PM feature and allow this thread to stay on topic.

I'm surprised you haven't excoriated "TooOldForThis" for misspelling "politically".

Yeah, I know... that's a dollar word doin' a dime's worth of work.

cshupe

methinks pete had a bad week, or year. vindictive!

peteswoot

Sweeeet wrote:enough, you two. Srsly. If you must continue with this polemic, use this forum's PM feature and allow this thread to stay on topic.

I'm surprised you haven't excoriated "TooOldForThis" for misspelling "politically".

First llo

Second, on topic? there is a topic?

peteswoot

cshupe wrote:methinks pete had a bad week, or year. vindictive!

me name is not pete, don't read too much into screen names

TooOldForThis

peteswoot wrote:go to bed, you are "TooOldForThis" nonsense

Ah, but I am young at heart. And I live in California. It's early yet.

I sense a little hostility. I'm just having a little fun with Mr. Language Person (or, maybe, as Mr. Language Person). If it's making you angry, I'll stop. I don't come to these forums for bitterness.

peteswoot

TooOldForThis wrote:Ah, but I am young at heart. And I live in California. It's early yet.

I sense a little hostility.

FYI, one can NOT sense on-line.. one may THINK they can but one would be wrong

mambo143

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mambo143
peteswoot wrote:you gave the original poster far more credit than I (yes, I said I, write all night long about that.. you may be far too old and I'm far too young to really care about you ...see ya)

Can't you guys kiss and make up?
Couldn't you do it just this once?

Sweeeet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sweeeet
peteswoot wrote:FYI, one can NOT sense on-line.. one may THINK they can but one would be wrong

Hmmmm... it's entirely immaterial, but I disagree.

Second, who is the 'they' to whom you refer in this statement? You begin by speaking of 'one' then make a singular reference to a group. I think (and I certainly would never conflate my opinion with fact) you might have meant "...THINK one can but..."

Now.... how about that awesome blender deal?

xtal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xtal

In for one.

Liquidity here I come!

sr885bk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sr885bk

It's friday night and I've been drinking. Ironically, I try to eat healthy and work out. I make a post-workout shake that can be quite thick, an has significantly bogged down every blender I have used. I figure that since I make this shake nearly every day, that alone is reason to invest in a good blender. At least it makes sense being "under the influence". Hopefully I will feel the same tomorrow because I just bought one...time for another Foster's...

mambo143

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mambo143

Saw one of these in Fargo. Pretty durable.

lilbearman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilbearman

In for one! Very very nice blender! Well worth the money and then some! Thanks woot!

strikerliker

quality posts: 7 Private Messages strikerliker

Um.... the word is spelled: "cannot" not "can not."

sribiswas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sribiswas

yes. this is a true one

cyncat62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyncat62

sr885bk...

Good wording for a person who has been drinking, only caught one slur.

Was actually going to write "...someone who has been drinking", but since I have been drinking myself, was afraid I might use "someone" improperly and be reduced to tears by the ridicule....

sribiswas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sribiswas

yes. this is a god one

TooOldForThis

Sweeeet wrote:Hmmmm... it's entirely immaterial, but I disagree.

Second, who is the 'they' to whom you refer in this statement? You begin by speaking of 'one' then make a singular reference to a group. I think (and I certainly would never conflate my opinion with fact) you might have meant "...THINK one can but..."

Now.... how about that awesome blender deal?

... and this is why serious arguments over the grammar and spelling in a blog posting are somewhat silly. Almost no one is going to spend the time and effort to thoroughly proof-read all of one's posts, which means that almost everyone will eventually get caught doing the very thing to which one was objecting.*

The blender looks great, but it's not for me. First, I already have a blender. I'm pretty sure it's older than many of my fellow W00ters. Second, I rarely use a blender. The one I have has probably been used fewer than two dozen times. We just don't have a lot of call for smoothies (or Margaritas).

* I'm pretty sure that "one" is incorrect, but "his/he" seems to have lost ground as an acceptable, gender-neutral designation. Feel free to substitute the pronouns of your choice.

TooOldForThis

sribiswas wrote:yes. this is a god one

You can't get better than this

DasCuddleMonster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DasCuddleMonster

is this mac compatible?

towootornot2woot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages towootornot2woot
TooOldForThis wrote:You can't get better than this

your write you cannot, noone can

cyncat62

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyncat62

Darn, don't see in the description that it comes with an adapter that would allow me to plug it into my cigarette lighter in my truck.