speedbump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedbump
editorkid wrote:Hm. The type on the bottom of my unit (heyo!) doesn't have the A, but the box it came in does. I'm just going to shrug and figure the A means it's a reverb regardkess of the rest of the details. As I say, it's cosmetically flawless, doesn't leak, and it's strong enough to kick the ass of that butterfly in Japan that's gonna start the next hurricane.

I think the rule of thumb is if you only need the quarter turn to put your blades in, it's the older version and if you have to screw it in a turn or two, then it's the A revision. Either way, if you're happy, that's all that matters.

So far, I like mine. I didn't make smoothies before because my old blender was more pretty than functional and I'd have to use a spoon to push things toward the blade. In this thing, they're a cinch.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 40 Private Messages Pufferfishy

I got mine, and the problem is it's a monster. It lacks any and all finesse.

With my 35+ year old Osterizer I could GENTLY pulse the contents to get them going, and eventually up the revs until my stuff was all mixed. With this thing, you hit the button and the $h!t hits the fan at MACH 7.

Given that this thing normally retails for like $200 I am saddened to find that it has no concept of a "soft start". Had I paid full retail it would be on its way back from whence it came.... A real disappointment as I just LOVE my Breville juicer.

Not everyone is trying to blend an iPhone.

Don't even think about blending with the lid off - half your drink will end up covering a quarter of your kitchen.

IMO: f a i l. I'll keep using the Osterizzer til it croaks, then I'll try to deal with this food sledgehammer.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

speedbump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedbump
Pufferfishy wrote:I got mine, and the problem is it's a monster. It lacks any and all finesse.

With my 35+ year old Osterizer I could GENTLY pulse the contents to get them going, and eventually up the revs until my stuff was all mixed. With this thing, you hit the button and the $h!t hits the fan at MACH 7.

Don't even think about blending with the lid off - half your drink will end up covering a quarter of your kitchen.

Not to down-play your feelings, since everyone's needs/preferences are different, but I always thought the benefit of having something this powerful was the ability to toss everything in at once, close the lid and be hands-off after startup. What are you making that would benefit from being able to keep the lid off?

Is it not possible to use the center chute in the lid to add your stuff after the lid is on?

It's just that something like "soft-start", at least in my head, doesn't go so well with ice-crushing, etc., where the big bursts from the blades serve to mix the contents as well as keep them from jamming in the blades vs. using a high-torque, slow-speed to slowly crush stuff.

slaner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slaner
brookefowler wrote:Ok, on mine (and I'm not sure of the model because I'm not currently in front of my blender), the blades don't tighten at all. You align the arrows on the bottom and twist a quarter turn and the blades are locked in place. That's it... easy as pie.

that's exactly how mine is (non-A version w/o tool)

In testing, it didnt leak. Hopefully it continues to remain that way. Contemplating the extended warranty thing just in case

ibhunting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibhunting

Mine came today and it sure is pretty. But...
D.O.A.! Anyone else have this happen?
Wonder how I can get a replacement?
Bought this for my wife's early Christmas present, she has cancer and gets
nauseated easily, so was thinking smoothies for breakfast would help.

Briuah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Briuah

Got mine on the 25th. My first WOOT purchase. I am so pleased with this blender. I have had quite a few "smoothie" blenders and this by far takes them. Just push the button and walk away. It completely demolishes the ice no matter how much I put in. I got it with the blade removal tool. Looks brand new, not a scratch and the manual looks like it has never been opened.

slaner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slaner
ibhunting wrote:Mine came today and it sure is pretty. But...
D.O.A.! Anyone else have this happen?
Wonder how I can get a replacement?

in the other blender thread (from the wootoff) another person posted about their blender being DOA as well. They continued with how they phoned Breville and that Breville is taking care of it.

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2702416

editorkid

quality posts: 94 Private Messages editorkid
speedbump wrote:I think the rule of thumb is if you only need the quarter turn to put your blades in, it's the older version and if you have to screw it in a turn or two, then it's the A revision. Either way, if you're happy, that's all that matters.

So far, I like mine. I didn't make smoothies before because my old blender was more pretty than functional and I'd have to use a spoon to push things toward the blade. In this thing, they're a cinch.

Mmmm, that isn't still quite right though. Mine is definitely the older version, says so right on the bottom of the base, but it does require a turn or two to secure the blades and did come with the (unnecessary) blade removal tool, and as I say, the model number on the box had the /A. I think it's safe to reckon that the /A can mean it's either one of the new, redesigned units that some people are getting or a redo of an earlier model, but the only way to be sure is to check the base. Anyway, it sounds like we're both happy with the smoothies we're making, so everyone wins.

meshachw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages meshachw
nursejoan wrote:I bought a recert dyson ball here. It was noticably used. Very much, very thouroughly used. Used to the point that it didn't match advertised specs.
(hose was cut short...)
So expect recerts to be used.

My blender is definitely used. The LCD screen is scratched and the control panel is dented in in a few spots. Not too pretty. Everything else looks good though.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Ancient Chinese Proverb

"We are all born naked and screaming and if you're lucky that sort of thing won't stop there." -unknown

meshachw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages meshachw
kahawken wrote:Mine arrived today, 600XL with blade removal tool. Did a quick test, snow ice worked well, a small liquid drink (leaked!). Appears in good condition, no marks to be seen, underneath shows a little marks. The book however is used and a few rips :-( Need to read over posts to see what to do for leak. I've taken blade apart w/ gasket...assume I'll tighten and see how it works next time. A bit concerned, with such a high end machine that it would do this.

I received mine and it leaks too. Same unit as the one in the image below:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Breville_Ikon_Diecast_BlenderpdzDetail.jpg

I have strong hands, so I tighten it enough, that's for sure (have to use the tool to loosen.) No /A on my model.

Crizzap!

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Ancient Chinese Proverb

"We are all born naked and screaming and if you're lucky that sort of thing won't stop there." -unknown

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 40 Private Messages Pufferfishy

@speedbump:
Yeah, I see what your saying. I think for me it would have been nice to have a couple of "pulse" buttons - light / heavy. whatever. That's what my Osterizer has - 3 "pulse" speeds (and 9 "regular")

I just hate that half my drink ends up all over the inside of the blender - the lid, the sides, everywhere.

And - it doesn't even mix completely! I use whole nuts (about 1/2 cup) in my shakes - and after a minute on high I've had shakes with 5 or 6 un-chopped nuts in them... Sad.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

mtofsted

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtofsted

I have been bragging about this thing since I got it. The Smoothie setting is fully automatic and AWESOME. With a few simple ingredients and this blender you can create a milkshake or smoothie to rival anything McDonnalds or Wendys can offer, and if you do it right you can make them fat free and healthy!

Gizmojunkie99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gizmojunkie99

Mine only worked for three weeks, now its only good as a paperweight on my counter top. Good luck to everyone who purchased one of these.

GreyK

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GreyK
Gizmojunkie99 wrote:Mine only worked for three weeks, now its only good as a paperweight on my counter top. Good luck to everyone who purchased one of these.

1) You are dumb for not calling Breville to get it fixed.

2) I still have mine and I use it at least once a week since 10/2008. I need a second carafe now cause I'm using it more frequently and want to wash less.

Farmer John

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Farmer John

April 2012 - My blender is still going strong. I use it a lot and really like how well it works. I'm spoiled! Thanks Woot!