ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Morning all. No fog here. 29 degrees.
Heading for the post office to mail out of town boxes and cards.

Just got back. Was there at 9:00 when it opened. About 15 people in line. They finally rolled up the door at the counter at 9:05 with one man. About 5 minutes later, another one joined him. Sheesh.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

AZGman wrote:Howdy, daj

Morning Az!

Now it's drizzling. Either that or the fog is leaking.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Many inches of snow. They gave the kids a snow day. I don't think they really need a snow day. That's ridiculous.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
DA59 wrote:Just got back. Was there at 9:00 when it opened. About 15 people in line. They finally rolled up the door at the counter at 9:05 with one man. About 5 minutes later, another one joined him. Sheesh.

damn gov'ment workers.

cruzer

PemberDucky wrote:Many inches of snow. They gave the kids a snow day. I don't think they really need a snow day. That's ridiculous.

some times you just gotta give the kids a break.

I was pissed when it snowed 8" in one night and we still had to go to school.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
cruzer wrote:some times you just gotta give the kids a break.

I was pissed when it snowed 8" in one night and we still had to go to school.

when I was in grad school at Indiana, we had a blizzard one winter (1984? 85?) that shut down the entire midwest. the whole city was closed, even the airport. the medical school was open. we had medical center ids, so the police allowed us to drive on the streets. I did get stopped once.

it was creepy as hell. everything was grey, big snowdrifts everywhere, all the businesses were closed, no traffic on the roads, just us slowly creeping across the city to get to the school.

cruzer

Josephus wrote:when I was in grad school at Indiana, we had a blizzard one winter (1984? 85?) that shut down the entire midwest. the whole city was closed, even the airport. the medical school was open. we had medical center ids, so the police allowed us to drive on the streets. I did get stopped once.

it was creepy as hell. everything was grey, big snowdrifts everywhere, all the businesses were closed, no traffic on the roads, just us slowly creeping across the city to get to the school.

The worst is when we had a blizzard the night spring break started. we were snowed in for almost the entire week!

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
cruzer wrote:The worst is when we had a blizzard the night spring break started. we were snowed in for almost the entire week!

Hey, I was at the end of spring break when a blizzard hit-- I couldn't drive back to school and was stuck in Tampa for two extra days!!

PemberDucky

Staff

Josephus wrote:when I was in grad school at Indiana, we had a blizzard one winter (1984? 85?) that shut down the entire midwest. the whole city was closed, even the airport. the medical school was open. we had medical center ids, so the police allowed us to drive on the streets. I did get stopped once.

We had a few days like that in CO. Although I obviously never really had to go out in that kind of mess. It certainly is kind of surreal. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Well. Except for this STORM OF THE CENTURY.

The sun is shining and most of the snow has melted. I get the feeling a lot of people have already "checked out" as the holidays approach, so they figure...why not?

Josephus

cruzer wrote:The worst is when we had a blizzard the night spring break started. we were snowed in for almost the entire week!

Another year in college, as we left for spring break- Ft Lauderdale, a blizzard hit. As we drove through Ohio to get to I-75, and then down all the way through Atlanta, they closed the highway literally about 10 miles behind us, over and over. It was a great time, after we got to Fl, but man was it scary.

edit: did you know they have ALLIGATORS in Florida?
-for real, not like plaster or concrete ones you can sit on and get your picture taken, but live, with big teeth. man!

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Shoot, I remember during the winter of '88 when we was stuck inside for 6 weeks! We had to burn grandma for heat and ended up eating little Timmy.

Actually, it wasn't even snowing.

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining
Josephus wrote:Another year in college, as we left for spring break- Ft Lauderdale, a blizzard hit. As we drove through Ohio to get to I-75, and then down all the way through Atlanta, they closed the highway literally about 10 miles behind us, over and over. It was a great time, after we got to Fl, but man was it scary.

edit: did you know they have ALLIGATORS in Florida?
-for real, not like plaster or concrete ones you can sit on and get your picture taken, but live, with big teeth. man!

I am so tinkled off that woot rejected your design and said jerk face, not very nice of them.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Had something similar when we lived in WA. Had 22" of snow a few days before Christmas. We were due to fly out that night and surprisingly, the flight was only a couple hours delayed (3am instead of 1am).

We headed for the aiport at 10pm. Couldn't get on the freeway at our usual place as it was blocked with police cars. Traveled backroads for a while and did get on finally. There were no other cars moving but tons of stranded cars, jack-knifed articulated buses and trucks, etc. We were weaving in and out of all these deserted cars. Traveled about 20 miles like that. I'll never forget it.

FORUM MODERATOR

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! I think I have all the info and documents I need for the passports. Going this afternoon to apply. Hubby and I both have to go with daughter because she is under 16. We are going to the beach tomorrow and stay until after the first of the year unless oldest daughter decides to come home. Had car serviced. Need to wrap presents. Not enough time for everything!!!

Josephus

Raining wrote:I am so tinkled off that woot rejected your design and said jerk face, not very nice of them.

heh. It wasn't a serious entry. They got burned by their broccoli shirt- it was copyrighted, and they had to pay for the rights after they'd already sold the shirts. (according to my source- Sk__T_k).
I was just poking fun at them and at the people who were protesting the broccoli shirt. The best thing is that my shirt was carefully made so that they couldn't come up with a legitimate reason to reject it, and joel had to resort to 'jerkface'. I won!

the cauliflower shirt is cute as hell, though, isn't it?

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:heh. It wasn't a serious entry. They got burned by their broccoli shirt- it was copyrighted, and they had to pay for the rights after they'd already sold the shirts. (according to my source- Sk__T_k).
I was just poking fun at them and at the people who were protesting the broccoli shirt. The best thing is that my shirt was carefully made so that they couldn't come up with a legitimate reason to reject it, and joel had to resort to 'jerkface'. I won!

Jerkface? The guy is an actor. His tool is words. You would think he could come up with something better!

You are making trouble and I never saw it. Nope. Never.

The dog is barking. At what?
Fool.

Last night there was an office type desk chair covered with clear plastic, out at the curb down the block.
It must have been in good enough shape for someone to take if they wanted it. Garbage pickup is tomorrow.

Well, Rusty decided it was alive and he needed to bark at it!
I tried to bring him over and see it was a chair but he wouldn't go near it!
I couldn't drag him across the street.
Silly dog.
He is also still not sure about animated christmas stuff on the lawns. He stopped barking at them, but he watched them when we walk past.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Raining

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Raining
Josephus wrote:heh. It wasn't a serious entry. They got burned by their broccoli shirt- it was copyrighted, and they had to pay for the rights after they'd already sold the shirts. (according to my source- Sk__T_k).

It is cute.If you are ok with them. and you did win.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
dontwantaname wrote:Jerkface? The guy is an actor. His tool is words. You would think he could come up with something better!

You are making trouble and I never saw it. Nope. Never.

The dog is barking. At what?
Fool.

Last night there was an office type desk chair covered with clear plastic, out at the curb down the block.
It must have been in good enough shape for someone to take if they wanted it. Garbage pickup is tomorrow.

Well, Rusty decided it was alive and he needed to bark at it!
I tried to bring him over and see it was a chair but he wouldn't go near it!
I couldn't drag him across the street.
Silly dog.
He is also still not sure about animated christmas stuff on the lawns. He stopped barking at them, but he watched them when we walk past.

Sounds like standard dog behavior to me!!

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

DA59 wrote:Had something similar when we lived in WA. Had 22" of snow a few days before Christmas. We were due to fly out that night and surprisingly, the flight was only a couple hours delayed (3am instead of 1am).

We headed for the aiport at 10pm. Couldn't get on the freeway at our usual place as it was blocked with police cars. Traveled backroads for a while and did get on finally. There were no other cars moving but tons of stranded cars, jack-knifed articulated buses and trucks, etc. We were weaving in and out of all these deserted cars. Traveled about 20 miles like that. I'll never forget it.

We had the Mayor Linsdy blizzard in 68/69 or around then.
Nobody went anywhere. School was closed for days!!!
Even weeks later there were cars snowed in to the roof on streets that never got plowed.
It killed his chances of reelection, but us school kids loved him!
We didn't lose power. That is the real problem, power.

OK, now fdog is crying while wagging his tail...he wants a walk...again!

I've got stuff to do before the snow! Food, Gas, snow blower oil. More food from a totally different place, and maybe a few more gifts.

Plus cat comes today. Gotta move the rats upstairs so they can be locked in a room.
Stupid son is the one who got the rats and now he brings a animal that thinks they are food!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

AZGman

dontwantaname wrote:We had the Mayor Linsdy blizzard in 68/69 or around then.
Even weeks later there were cars snowed in to the roof on streets that never got plowed.

I've got stuff to do before the snow! Food, Gas, snow blower oil. More food from a totally different place, and maybe a few more gifts.

Plus cat comes today. Gotta move the rats upstairs so they can be locked in a room.
Stupid son is the one who got the rats and now he brings a animal that thinks they are food!

Kick his butt out into the back yard for five minutes!!!

ThunderThighs

Staff

Son got Splinter. You got these two.

FORUM MODERATOR

Josephus

If we don't immediately take Cletus out when (if) he makes signs of needing to go out, he'll just pee wherever he is. Sometimes I hate him.

In general, we take him out at regular intervals to avoid the situation.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
dontwantaname wrote:Jerkface? The guy is an actor. His tool is words. You would think he could come up with something better!

a writer's tool is words. an actor's tools are facial expression, body language, and voice. none of which are on display on woot (usually).

no1

Josephus wrote:If we don't immediately take Cletus out when (if) he makes signs of needing to go out, he'll just pee wherever he is. Sometimes I hate him.

for a second there i thought you were talking about me.

Josephus

no1 wrote:for a second there i thought you were talking about me.

for a second there, I was.
would it kill you not to pee on the floor?

no1

Josephus wrote:for a second there, I was.
would it kill you not to pee on the floor?

when you gotta go you gotta go.

trying to pee on the ceiling was a bad idea.

Josephus

no1 wrote:when you gotta go you gotta go.

trying to pee on the ceiling was a bad idea.

don't worry about it. If you pee on the upstairs floor, it doesn't take long until it turns out you were peeing on the downstairs ceiling.
and the couch, and the end table and lamp.

no1

does anybody else see a google ad for "motown: the complete no 1's" at the top of the woot page?

i think they're out to get me.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

'74, we were coming back from PA and had to stop outside of Cleveland because of the snow. We were in a Holiday Inn for three days before they opened 71. They were running out of food. Ran out of diapers for oldest son real quick. Borrowed some safety pins and used hand towels.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

AZGman

no1 wrote:does anybody else see a google ad for "motown: the complete no 1's" at the top of the woot page?

i think they're out to get me.

yes

AZGman

And now for something completely weird.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
PemberDucky wrote:Many inches of snow. They gave the kids a snow day. I don't think they really need a snow day. That's ridiculous.

hehe, I heard you had snow! They actually closed the University for a couple days last year. That only happens once every couple decades or something. Must remember to wear thermals to work tonight, the building got really cold on Tuesday night (came home while it was 4degrees out)

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

mwiseman

Oh, Jesus...it's your mom again.

PemberDucky

Staff

mwiseman wrote:

Oh, Jesus...it's your mom again.

God's wife is hot.

no1

PemberDucky wrote:God's wife is hot.

only if you mean in a menopausal way.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Looking for an unusual gift?

ThatsMyFace offers free online facial analysis as well as FaceStatues, which are glass or plastic statuettes custom-made from your facial profile.

Spooky.

FORUM MODERATOR

mwiseman

PemberDucky wrote:God's wife is hot.

Yeah, she's still kinda pissed over that whole "virgin" Mary thing.

KtCallista

Heavy weighty issue ALERT

Hey guys, umm I need some help talking to my Dad. I love the man, but we haven't been as close the last several years, I mean I try, but he kinda has his circle of existance and mine doesn't overlap a ton. Anyway, last night he sent out a form email to everyone in his address book announcing that he has been "downsized" He will still have to work Christmas weekend, but won't be returning to work in the new year. He's been at the company "25 years 5 months 13 days!" What do I say to him? They are in the final phases of building their retirement house (a project they''ve been planning and working on for at least 17 years!) He will still be working nights when we are there for Christmas, his last day is the 30th, we are planning on coming home the 29th.

I really love my Dad, I just don't know what to say. He will be 55 in April, and wasn't planning on retiring yet.

no1

KtCallista wrote:I really love my Dad, I ... don't know what to say.

be honest. tell him that. i think in this situation (really any situation) he'd really like to hear the first part. start there and mabe he'll want to talk... mabe not... but it might break the ice and start a conversation.

KtCallista

no1 wrote:be honest. tell him that. i think in this situation (really any situation) he'd really like to hear the first part. start there and mabe he'll want to talk... mabe not... but it might break the ice and start a conversation.

Thanks, unfortunately, he is working nights right now, so phone conversations have to be either carefully timed or not at all. Today being Thursday he should be home tonight (of course I'll be at work), but I may try calling. I just don't feel right sending an email saying that I don't know what to say. . . it's not really helpful ya know.