superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Say anything, right? Just be nice about it! As always, friendly derby discussion is welcome too. ^_^

Flames to dust
Lovers to friends
Why do all good things come to an end?

(from All Good Things (Come To An End) by Nelly Furtado)

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Derby 74: One Continuous Line

This week, you're not allowed to lift your metaphorical pen off your figurative paper. Show us what you can do with one unbroken line. The subject matter is entirely up to you (within our usual Derby rules), but you have to follow these rules:

Everything in your design should be part of the same continuous line. We should only be able to see two ends to your line. Any other line endings sticking out somewhere will be cause for rejection. And no autonomous little design elements away from the main one. Your continuous line should render everything on the shirt.

No retracing the same path. The line should always be distinct from itself, if that makes sense. Don't fill in a space and try to tell us it's just one line that overlaps itself. Don't try multiple line endings on the grounds that the line turns back on itself.

One color only. No changing the color mid-line or using gradients.

Text is permitted as long as the treatment meets all the rules above. If you can draw text with one unbroken line with no retracing, knock yourself out.

Moderating this Derby might involve some judgment calls on our part, so if your design even comes close to breaking any of these rules, back away or risk rejection.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

gimmick.

SkekTek

no1 wrote:gimmick.

It's actually one of the first things they make you do in art classes... I have a real nice one I'm ready to whip on an unsuspecting audience. Might be a bit artsy for the general woot crowd though.

no1

SkekTek wrote:It's actually one of the first things they make you do in art classes... I have a real nice one I'm ready to whip on an unsuspecting audience. Might be a bit artsy for the general woot crowd though.

still a gimmick.

edit: a cook should learn how to boil water. that doesn't mean i'd want to pay $$$ for a restaurant to serve me plain boiled water.

no1

this limitation is too artificial. as a potential (ha!) customer, i'd want to buy a shirt that looks nice, not one that simply shows how clever the artist was.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:gimmick.

yep. fun though.

benmeck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benmeck

I bet you'll be surprised at the quality of the entries. i predict some kick ass designs.

no1 wrote:this limitation is too artificial. as a potential (ha!) customer, i'd want to buy a shirt that looks nice, not one that simply shows how clever the artist was.

no1

benmeck wrote:I bet you'll be surprised at the quality of the entries. i predict some kick ass designs.

perhaps. the best ones are going to be the ones that don't look like it's made by one line. since it's apparently a basic exercise for budding artists, it seems to be no limitation at all for them. or it's just a test of cleverness on the part of the artist. either way, can you really say that a given kick-ass design couldn't have been even better if (say) the limitation was just one ink color instead?

t-shirts that proclaim that the artist was clever do not appeal to me. i'm not interested in boosting random artist egos.

no1

this derby is tilted towards clever people, which could be why i hate it.

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
no1 wrote:this limitation is too artificial. as a potential (ha!) customer, i'd want to buy a shirt that looks nice, not one that simply shows how clever the artist was.

I agree with this 100%.

SkekTek

no1 wrote:this derby is tilted towards clever people, which could be why i hate it.

Actually, yes. It's tilted towards folks with black and white design talents that can take their normal designs and decompose them creatively into lines of different thicknesses.

Specifically, anything in the line art derby (#32) could possibly be creatively tweaked to be in this one...

Josephus

no1 wrote:

t-shirts that proclaim that the artist was clever do not appeal to me. i'm not interested in boosting random artist egos.

oh, god.

like they need that.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

THey have to have *some* theme for the derby. Might as well be this.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Schrobblehead9226

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Schrobblehead9226

I will participate in the derby again only when the theme is "we give up, do whatever you want"

SkekTek

Here's my final of "Spoons and Olives"- a shirt for bartenders and lovers of fine detail. It's a single line of varying thickness that starts at the top left, and goes back and forward horizontally from top to bottom until the bottom left flourish. Thoughts? It's on a navy shirt template. Judging by no comments in the derby thread, I assume this shirt is either a) ugly and/or b) just ignored.

Click for max size here.

Josephus

OK, here it is:
any suggestions on problems with it or on the colors I ought to use would be great.
I still have time to mess with it.

SkekTek

I like the blue on navy but that's just me.

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:Here's my final of "Spoons and Olives"- a shirt for bartenders and lovers of fine detail. It's a single line of varying thickness that starts at the top left, and goes back and forward horizontally from top to bottom until the bottom left flourish. Thoughts? It's on a navy shirt template. Judging by no comments in the derby thread, I assume this shirt is either a) ugly and/or b) just ignored.

Click for max size here.

I don't think your varying width lines are gonna be allowed. You are using them to fill space, and with those right angles within one side of the line but not the other, it is pretty obvious.

My guess is that it's too detailed for the fanboys to comment on, because they go gaga over the real simple stuff, and the 'artists' don't hate you like they mostly do me, but they're too busy now. gotta go.

no1

Josephus wrote:I don't think your varying width lines are gonna be allowed. You are using them to fill space, and with those right angles within one side of the line but not the other, it is pretty obvious.

i'd let it pass. i think it looks similar to fancy brushwork. nice work prof tek.

aubreyb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aubreyb

pbbtt.

no1

aubreyb wrote:pbbtt.

gee, elmo, thought i saw a design you stole from dr. j, but i guess i was hallucinating, as usual.

edit: look at the pretty colors!

Josephus

no1 wrote:gee, elmo, thought i saw a design you stole from dr. j, but i guess i was hallucinating, as usual.

edit: look at the pretty colors!

that bastard!

Josephus

Please, bruddah, can you spare a vote for a knight down on his luck and having to toast his marshmallows via dragon?

SkekTek

Eh, don't think I'll submit the spoons. Not gonna win and I think it's too artsy for the Woot crowd and I don't want it rejected and stranded here for 60 days.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Josephus wrote:Please, bruddah, can you spare a vote for a knight down on his luck and having to toast his marshmallows via dragon?

Like the design for both concept and execution, but I think your comp is just terrible.

Voted anyway!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

JoeDeeDee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeDeeDee
eHalcyon wrote:Like the design for both concept and execution, but I think your comp is just terrible.

Voted anyway!

I agree, the comp doesn't really do it justice.

kenney9226

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kenney9226

I dunno. Is it maybe one too many lines?

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:

I dunno. Is it maybe one too many lines?

The spiral totally ruined the effect for me

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

Anyone heard of BiteFight? It's a game I've been playing. Anyway, I get points if you click on the link. It's an amusing game. ^_^

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

SkekTek

Up next: Derby #75: Cabin Fever

You're penned in, cooped up, locked down. It's cold outside, it's boring inside. And there's a long winter stretching out before you. Maybe it's you and eighteen in-laws, maybe it's just you and your cats and your Lean Cuisines. Either way, cabin fever is setting in, and you're longing for release. Use this week's Derby as an outlet for your claustrophobe tendencies - or your claustrophile tendencies, if you're into that sort of thing.

No text this week.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

Sigh, dead Cyberpub.

Was it more active when I was new because it was the summer?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

EmptyPromises

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EmptyPromises

Go, Duster!
Go, Duster!
Go, Go, Go, Duster!!

I bet you'll see a pucker tomorrow, and it'll have at least TWO VOTES by the time you see it!!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

eHalcyon wrote:Sigh, dead Cyberpub.

Actually most of the users broke off and made a site off of woot. Every time I checked, there were people there talking.
That was a loooooog time ago. I don't remember what the site was. Someone can tell you if you want it. Maybe supersprye?

These were people who didn't really want to mix with the ebw people.

I got two of your shirts coming!
Stop winning. I really don't need any more shirts!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Actually most of the users broke off and made a site off of woot. Every time I checked, there were people there talking.
That was a loooooog time ago. I don't remember what the site was. Someone can tell you if you want it. Maybe supersprye?

bah! to people who abandon the woot forums for a separate chat.

geekfactor12 wrote:

OMGHI2U Wooters!

Bad Tea Party chat has been posted before, but I guess you could call this the official relaunch. Since the original post it has evolved into a community of shirt designers and enthusiasts who hang out to talk about shirt websites, design, and sometimes just what everyone had for lunch.

If you want to talk about shirts, post links to your contest entries, or play with our doodle screen, go for it! Everyone is welcome

SkekTek

I'm not entering this week until tomorrow.. I've got a really goofy one in my head, but won't get it onto a shirt until the in-laws leave...

Think of what the first chimp in space thought as he saw the crescent, yellow moon in his capsule window...

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12
dontwantaname wrote:Actually most of the users broke off and made a site off of woot. Every time I checked, there were people there talking.

no1's linked it above, if anyone's interested, but it's been pretty depopulated since Christmas because so many people are out of town or otherwise enjoying time with their families The whole internet always seems to slow down a bit this time of year.

And just to clarify, it wasn't a matter of not wanting to mix with EBW- when we say that everyone is welcome, I'm serious about that. But we were all looking for a way to communicate that didn't involve long waits between posts and that didn't exclude people who had managed to be put on posting probation here, ahuhu (our chat actually started when a few of us were on probation). Feel free to drop in, we're always happy to have some new blood :D

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

geekfactor12 wrote:no1's linked it above, if anyone's interested, but it's been pretty depopulated since Christmas because so many people are out of town or otherwise enjoying time with their families The whole internet always seems to slow down a bit this time of year.

And just to clarify, it wasn't a matter of not wanting to mix with EBW- when we say that everyone is welcome, I'm serious about that. But we were all looking for a way to communicate that didn't involve long waits between posts and that didn't exclude people who had managed to be put on posting probation here, ahuhu (our chat actually started when a few of us were on probation). Feel free to drop in, we're always happy to have some new blood :D

You had different interests.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

eHalcyon wrote:Sigh, dead Cyberpub.

It was more active because it was new.