Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
no1 wrote:you're a shirt designer. make one.



Well if we're judging what I design based on the results, I'm a cr@p designer.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Schrobblehead wrote:Well if we're judging what I design based on the results, I'm a cr@p designer.



http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=12154

top ten within the past year!

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
no1 wrote:http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=12154

top ten within the past year!



Which brings my average place up to 105th.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Schrobblehead wrote:Which brings my average place up to 105th.



average isn't important, it's whether you can get printed. you are recently close.

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
no1 wrote:average isn't important, it's whether you can get printed. you are recently close.



I haven't submitted anything since August. I think I've lost my license by now.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Schrobblehead wrote:I haven't submitted anything since August. I think I've lost my license by now.



your license is good for 10 years. or is that your passport?

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Schrobblehead wrote:Well if we're judging what I design based on the results, I'm a cr@p designer.



And if we're judging by recognition by Woot for jobs well done, so am I apparently...

Where's my cat-o-nine tails? I need to self-flagellate.

Now someone go post this over in the random comments thread... Kenney...

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
SkekTek wrote:And if we're judging by recognition by Woot for jobs well done, so am I apparently...



we judge by "how many prints," "how many fogs," "how many top tens," "how many do-overs" within the past year.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
no1 wrote:we judge by "how many prints," "how many fogs," "how many top tens," "how many do-overs" within the past year.



Oh, then I guess I've been doing ok with everything except do-overs...

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

Thanks for the suggestions, no1. I'll keep them in mind.

Has anyone else been having trouble posting? I keep running into server errors when I try to PM or post in the shirt.woot forums...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

ChrisRisse


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisRisse

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
eHalcyon wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, no1. I'll keep them in mind.



i imagine now ehalc will rule his team(s) with an iron fist.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Up next... Derby #79: Myths and Legends

Hercules. Gilgamesh. King Arthur. Paul Bunyan. These figures are more than just guys with powerful beards, muscles, and body odors. They're mythological legends, or legendary myths, and they're the subject of this week's Derby. You don't need to go the proto-action-hero route - girlier myths about golden apples and enchanted flowers and stuff are cool, too. All cultures have them, stories and figures seemingly sprung from the collective consciousness of an entire society to express the way those people see the world. Now use these primal archetypes to affect how the world sees your t-shirt.

What do we mean by "myths and legends"? If your subject matter is known to originate with a single author, it probably doesn't qualify. Tarzan and Ichabod Crane are sorta legendary, but they're not what we have in mind here. Nor are we looking for references to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, Mario, or any other pop-cultural artifacts. If this makes it easier, think pre-1600 AD. Except...

The scriptural lore of the currently practiced major world religions is not acceptable subject matter, including Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism. We know, we know, you could make a case for any religion being "mythology", but we're not interested in getting into a whole big religion thing for this Derby.

No "urban legends". That's a subject for another Derby.

...

I may pass on this derby. The big artists already have 100 each of these kinds of things in their portfolios.

kenney9226


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:Up next... Derby #79: Myths and Legends

Hercules. Gilgamesh. King Arthur. Paul Bunyan. These figures are more than just guys with powerful beards, muscles, and body odors. They're mythological legends, or legendary myths, and they're the subject of this week's Derby. You don't need to go the proto-action-hero route - girlier myths about golden apples and enchanted flowers and stuff are cool, too. All cultures have them, stories and figures seemingly sprung from the collective consciousness of an entire society to express the way those people see the world. Now use these primal archetypes to affect how the world sees your t-shirt.

What do we mean by "myths and legends"? If your subject matter is known to originate with a single author, it probably doesn't qualify. Tarzan and Ichabod Crane are sorta legendary, but they're not what we have in mind here. Nor are we looking for references to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, Mario, or any other pop-cultural artifacts. If this makes it easier, think pre-1600 AD. Except...

The scriptural lore of the currently practiced major world religions is not acceptable subject matter, including Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism. We know, we know, you could make a case for any religion being "mythology", but we're not interested in getting into a whole big religion thing for this Derby.

No "urban legends". That's a subject for another Derby.

...

I may pass on this derby. The big artists already have 100 each of these kinds of things in their portfolios.



What am I supposed to do? My mythical legend is known to originate with a single author-- me!! Time to use the old noggin to think of something swift this week


oh, and Happy Manhattan Thursday to all my woot friends!

___________________________________

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
kenney9226 wrote:What am I supposed to do? My mythical legend is known to originate with a single author-- me!! Time to use the old noggin to think of something swift this week


oh, and Happy Manhattan Thursday to all my woot friends!

___________________________________



pucker atlas
pucker throwing lightning bolts
the earth is a flat plate riding on three puckers standing on a turtle

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

I guess I'll do a Sissyphus mouse wearing a toga trying to push a giant roll of cheese up a steep hill, with a ceiling cat Zeus watching from above.

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
eHalcyon wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, no1. I'll keep them in mind.

Has anyone else been having trouble posting? I keep running into server errors when I try to PM or post in the shirt.woot forums...



I run into firewall errors with woot all the time, but I doubt our issues are related.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

it's weird to read this thread and see that there was this whole parallel conversation.

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead

I've been burned out on the derby for a very long time... like over a year. I can't think of anything.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Schrobblehead wrote:I've been burned out on the derby for a very long time... like over a year. I can't think of anything.



Since all the derbiers have given up, including Spryte, it's fitting that it turns into a chat thread...

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
SkekTek wrote:Since all the derbiers have given up, including Spryte, it's fitting that it turns into a chat thread...



But this place is deader than a street-walker's eyes, so the chat is a little lacking.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

Maximillian


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian





Ignoring the color shift on the red, which works better?

2 color options and 2 spacing options on the background.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Schrobblehead wrote:But this place is deader than a street-walker's eyes, so the chat is a little lacking.



I haven't given up! I'm just buried in a mountain of engineering papers and complicated and undocumented programs I have to figure out. YAY.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
eHalcyon wrote:I haven't given up! I'm just buried in a mountain of engineering papers and complicated and undocumented programs I have to figure out. YAY.



I thought you were in college! I know you don't drink, but isn't there something fun you should be doing?

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Schrobblehead wrote:I thought you were in college! I know you don't drink, but isn't there something fun you should be doing?



Psh. I'm in Engineering. Engineering = beer and homework. I don't drink, so I'm just stuck with the homework.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eHalcyon wrote:Psh. I'm in Engineering. Engineering = beer and homework. I don't drink, so I'm just stuck with the homework.



my brother-in-law is an aeronautical engineer at Boeing.

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
Josephus wrote:my brother-in-law is an aeronautical engineer at Boeing.



I know a (retired) Boeing engineer fairly well myself.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:my brother-in-law is an aeronautical engineer at Boeing.



How do you vote for jimiyos shirt? Is it under his real name?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

kenney9226


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:I guess I'll do a Sissyphus mouse wearing a toga trying to push a giant roll of cheese up a steep hill, with a ceiling cat Zeus watching from above.



This is inspired and totally awesome! I think that with each passing month, there is one or two more folks who jump on the pucker bandwagon, and my prediction of victory in derby #387 may not be too far off!

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
dontwantaname wrote:How do you vote for jimiyos shirt? Is it under his real name?


there's a group of about 20 shirts that are eligible to be Bestee. His is the one with the mean lookin' panda. huge panda.
I think it was a sort of collaboration with another artist, so I don't know what name it's under.

try this link

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Maximillian wrote:



Ignoring the color shift on the red, which works better?

2 color options and 2 spacing options on the background.



The yellow on red is a bit harsh on the eyes. I'd prefer the blue, personally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

kenney9226


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

kenney9226


quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

...and at the risk of splitting the pucker vote this week, I offer a second choice:

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

I had to do it.



Now I won't have time for all my homework.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead

I know a good myth to use...

I think I would depict it as a little man in a boat looking at a map with a spot on it labelled "g" with a speech bubble saying "I don't really know where it is either."

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Schrobblehead wrote:I know a good myth to use...

I think I would depict it as a little man in a boat looking at a map with a spot on it labelled "g" with a speech bubble saying "I don't really know where it is either."



XD XD XD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

i can't chunder!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
no1 wrote:i can't chunder!



Sounds like a personal problem...

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
no1 wrote:i can't chunder!



I think ipecac syrup helps if you aren't willing to just stick a finger down your throat.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!