Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
no1 wrote:you're a shirt designer. make one.

Well if we're judging what I design based on the results, I'm a cr@p designer.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Schrobblehead wrote:Well if we're judging what I design based on the results, I'm a cr@p designer.

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=12154

top ten within the past year!

Schrobblehead

no1 wrote:http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=12154

top ten within the past year!

Which brings my average place up to 105th.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

no1

Schrobblehead wrote:Which brings my average place up to 105th.

average isn't important, it's whether you can get printed. you are recently close.

Schrobblehead

no1 wrote:average isn't important, it's whether you can get printed. you are recently close.

I haven't submitted anything since August. I think I've lost my license by now.

no1

Schrobblehead wrote:I haven't submitted anything since August. I think I've lost my license by now.

your license is good for 10 years. or is that your passport?

no1

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Schrobblehead wrote:Well if we're judging what I design based on the results, I'm a cr@p designer.

And if we're judging by recognition by Woot for jobs well done, so am I apparently...

Where's my cat-o-nine tails? I need to self-flagellate.

Now someone go post this over in the random comments thread... Kenney...

no1

SkekTek wrote:And if we're judging by recognition by Woot for jobs well done, so am I apparently...

we judge by "how many prints," "how many fogs," "how many top tens," "how many do-overs" within the past year.

SkekTek

no1 wrote:we judge by "how many prints," "how many fogs," "how many top tens," "how many do-overs" within the past year.

Oh, then I guess I've been doing ok with everything except do-overs...

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon

Thanks for the suggestions, no1. I'll keep them in mind.

Has anyone else been having trouble posting? I keep running into server errors when I try to PM or post in the shirt.woot forums...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

ChrisRisse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisRisse

no1

eHalcyon wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, no1. I'll keep them in mind.

i imagine now ehalc will rule his team(s) with an iron fist.

SkekTek

Up next... Derby #79: Myths and Legends

Hercules. Gilgamesh. King Arthur. Paul Bunyan. These figures are more than just guys with powerful beards, muscles, and body odors. They're mythological legends, or legendary myths, and they're the subject of this week's Derby. You don't need to go the proto-action-hero route - girlier myths about golden apples and enchanted flowers and stuff are cool, too. All cultures have them, stories and figures seemingly sprung from the collective consciousness of an entire society to express the way those people see the world. Now use these primal archetypes to affect how the world sees your t-shirt.

What do we mean by "myths and legends"? If your subject matter is known to originate with a single author, it probably doesn't qualify. Tarzan and Ichabod Crane are sorta legendary, but they're not what we have in mind here. Nor are we looking for references to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, Mario, or any other pop-cultural artifacts. If this makes it easier, think pre-1600 AD. Except...

The scriptural lore of the currently practiced major world religions is not acceptable subject matter, including Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism. We know, we know, you could make a case for any religion being "mythology", but we're not interested in getting into a whole big religion thing for this Derby.

No "urban legends". That's a subject for another Derby.

I may pass on this derby. The big artists already have 100 each of these kinds of things in their portfolios.

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:Up next... Derby #79: Myths and Legends

Hercules. Gilgamesh. King Arthur. Paul Bunyan. These figures are more than just guys with powerful beards, muscles, and body odors. They're mythological legends, or legendary myths, and they're the subject of this week's Derby. You don't need to go the proto-action-hero route - girlier myths about golden apples and enchanted flowers and stuff are cool, too. All cultures have them, stories and figures seemingly sprung from the collective consciousness of an entire society to express the way those people see the world. Now use these primal archetypes to affect how the world sees your t-shirt.

What do we mean by "myths and legends"? If your subject matter is known to originate with a single author, it probably doesn't qualify. Tarzan and Ichabod Crane are sorta legendary, but they're not what we have in mind here. Nor are we looking for references to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Zelda, Mario, or any other pop-cultural artifacts. If this makes it easier, think pre-1600 AD. Except...

The scriptural lore of the currently practiced major world religions is not acceptable subject matter, including Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism. We know, we know, you could make a case for any religion being "mythology", but we're not interested in getting into a whole big religion thing for this Derby.

No "urban legends". That's a subject for another Derby.

I may pass on this derby. The big artists already have 100 each of these kinds of things in their portfolios.

What am I supposed to do? My mythical legend is known to originate with a single author-- me!! Time to use the old noggin to think of something swift this week

oh, and Happy Manhattan Thursday to all my woot friends!

no1

kenney9226 wrote:What am I supposed to do? My mythical legend is known to originate with a single author-- me!! Time to use the old noggin to think of something swift this week

oh, and Happy Manhattan Thursday to all my woot friends!

pucker atlas
pucker throwing lightning bolts
the earth is a flat plate riding on three puckers standing on a turtle

SkekTek

I guess I'll do a Sissyphus mouse wearing a toga trying to push a giant roll of cheese up a steep hill, with a ceiling cat Zeus watching from above.

Schrobblehead

eHalcyon wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, no1. I'll keep them in mind.

Has anyone else been having trouble posting? I keep running into server errors when I try to PM or post in the shirt.woot forums...

I run into firewall errors with woot all the time, but I doubt our issues are related.

no1

it's weird to read this thread and see that there was this whole parallel conversation.

Schrobblehead

I've been burned out on the derby for a very long time... like over a year. I can't think of anything.

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:I've been burned out on the derby for a very long time... like over a year. I can't think of anything.

Since all the derbiers have given up, including Spryte, it's fitting that it turns into a chat thread...

Schrobblehead

SkekTek wrote:Since all the derbiers have given up, including Spryte, it's fitting that it turns into a chat thread...

But this place is deader than a street-walker's eyes, so the chat is a little lacking.

Maximillian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maximillian

Ignoring the color shift on the red, which works better?

2 color options and 2 spacing options on the background.

eHalcyon

Schrobblehead wrote:But this place is deader than a street-walker's eyes, so the chat is a little lacking.

I haven't given up! I'm just buried in a mountain of engineering papers and complicated and undocumented programs I have to figure out. YAY.

Schrobblehead

eHalcyon wrote:I haven't given up! I'm just buried in a mountain of engineering papers and complicated and undocumented programs I have to figure out. YAY.

I thought you were in college! I know you don't drink, but isn't there something fun you should be doing?

eHalcyon

Schrobblehead wrote:I thought you were in college! I know you don't drink, but isn't there something fun you should be doing?

Psh. I'm in Engineering. Engineering = beer and homework. I don't drink, so I'm just stuck with the homework.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eHalcyon wrote:Psh. I'm in Engineering. Engineering = beer and homework. I don't drink, so I'm just stuck with the homework.

my brother-in-law is an aeronautical engineer at Boeing.

Schrobblehead

Josephus wrote:my brother-in-law is an aeronautical engineer at Boeing.

I know a (retired) Boeing engineer fairly well myself.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Josephus wrote:my brother-in-law is an aeronautical engineer at Boeing.

How do you vote for jimiyos shirt? Is it under his real name?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

kenney9226

SkekTek wrote:I guess I'll do a Sissyphus mouse wearing a toga trying to push a giant roll of cheese up a steep hill, with a ceiling cat Zeus watching from above.

This is inspired and totally awesome! I think that with each passing month, there is one or two more folks who jump on the pucker bandwagon, and my prediction of victory in derby #387 may not be too far off!

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
dontwantaname wrote:How do you vote for jimiyos shirt? Is it under his real name?

there's a group of about 20 shirts that are eligible to be Bestee. His is the one with the mean lookin' panda. huge panda.
I think it was a sort of collaboration with another artist, so I don't know what name it's under.

try this link

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Maximillian wrote:

Ignoring the color shift on the red, which works better?

2 color options and 2 spacing options on the background.

The yellow on red is a bit harsh on the eyes. I'd prefer the blue, personally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

kenney9226

kenney9226

...and at the risk of splitting the pucker vote this week, I offer a second choice:

eHalcyon

I had to do it.

Now I won't have time for all my homework.

Schrobblehead

I know a good myth to use...

I think I would depict it as a little man in a boat looking at a map with a spot on it labelled "g" with a speech bubble saying "I don't really know where it is either."

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Schrobblehead wrote:I know a good myth to use...

I think I would depict it as a little man in a boat looking at a map with a spot on it labelled "g" with a speech bubble saying "I don't really know where it is either."

XD XD XD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

no1

i can't chunder!

SkekTek

no1 wrote:i can't chunder!

Sounds like a personal problem...

Schrobblehead

no1 wrote:i can't chunder!

I think ipecac syrup helps if you aren't willing to just stick a finger down your throat.