wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926

I just noticed a change to the forums -- full post counts are not noted underneath the username, only "Quality Posts", which I can only assume are the times that an individual has gotten their question or post quoted in the WootBot post for a product.

What's up with that?

Quality Posts

Toadlet

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Toadlet

(Hover your cursor over the member name)

I appear to be melting.

myrlin

quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin

Apparently I have said something of value at some point today to have 1 quality post, but could a mod please do tell what it is that most appeases the woot gods to grant these dare i call them points of quality?

008 Barrels of Crud
183 Bottles of Juice

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

myrlin wrote:Apparently I have said something of value at some point today to have 1 quality post, but could a mod please do tell what it is that most appeases the woot gods to grant these dare i call them points of quality?

Bribes. You probably dropped ten bucks by accident and the post checker just misunderstood your intent.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

wizard7926

Toadlet wrote:(Hover your cursor over the member name)

Ooh, pretty. Thanks for the heads up, Toadlet

Wonder who has the most "Quality Posts"?

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
wizard7926 wrote:I just noticed a change to the forums -- full post counts are not noted underneath the username, only "Quality Posts", which I can only assume are the times that an individual has gotten their question or post quoted in the WootBot post for a product.

What's up with that?

What constitutes a quality post? is this cumulative? do tell. do tell.

terrimeyers

quality posts: 2 Private Messages terrimeyers

bectca i have none. :D
Edit: See!

Thanks SS for my new togs!

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
edthebedhead wrote:What constitutes a quality post? is this cumulative? do tell. do tell.

Here's how this works. In a forum thread (almost always the current Woot thread), you say something of interest, something funny, or ask/answer a good question. A moderator marks your post as 'quality' causing it to be displayed on the Woot home page that day and adding one to your quality post total (so, yes, it's cumulative).

Then, apparently, you give slydon $10 and he puts a good word in for you.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
dave bug wrote:Here's how this works. In a forum thread (almost always the current Woot thread), you say something of interest, something funny, or ask/answer a good question. A moderator marks your post as 'quality' causing it to be displayed on the Woot home page that day and adding one to your quality post total (so, yes, it's cumulative).

Yes, the $10 is mandatory.

Dave has pretty much nailed it on the head.
There are a few ways to get a quality post. Some are more likely than others, but here's a general breakdown:

1.) Ask a question (And not, "Does it work with Mac?" because it probably doesn't.), such as, "Is it possible to wallmount this screen?" for a television.
2.) Provide an answer to a question. E.g. "Yes, you can wallmount it, but you'll need this special bracket from BracketCo."
3.) Raise a valid concern. E.g. "I believe there's been a recall of this device."
4.) Provide additional information. E.g. Product specifications, additional product images, reviews, etc.
5.) Relate personal experiences with the product, positive or negative.
6.) Become a woot! staff member and provide up to date information about product status.
7.) Astound us with your wit. This one is, obviously, flexible and subjective. You might throw your $10 in here.
8.) The general "something needs attention drawn to it" category that's a catch-all for anything that doesn't fit in above. =)

These are general guidelines, not laws. For a better feel of what constitutes a quality post, feel free to check the main page on any given day, or look at the front page of any previous woot! product thread.

Note that quality posts tend to vary a bit from site to site, too. Over at wine.woot, you might notice additional tags like [WINERY] or [LABRAT], which, you know, designate the post as coming from one of our guests that week, or someone partaking of the labrat program. Shirt.woot will have an [ARTIST] from time to time and tends to rely more on humor.

Also, the closer the post is made to midnight (central time), the more likely it is to appear as a quality post.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

tehpwnerer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tehpwnerer

So, is there a way for mods to rate people down? I can think of a couple of people who need it.

Gatzby

tehpwnerer wrote:So, is there a way for mods to rate people down? I can think of a couple of people who need it.

There's no karma system like Slashdot has in place, no, but we all do get together for tea, gossip, and snicker. Well, Slydon just drinks rotgut whiskey instead of tea, but you get the idea.

Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Gatzby wrote:For a better feel of what constitutes a quality post, feel free to check the main page on any given day, or look at the Hey everybody, it burns when I pee. of any previous woot! product thread.

i like how mr. gatzby is subject to filtering as well.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Gatzby wrote:There's no karma system like Slashdot has in place, no, but we all do get together for tea, gossip, and snicker. Well, Slydon just drinks rotgut whiskey instead of tea, but you get the idea.

Interesting that you don't have any quality posts, Gatzby. Is this something that should come up in your yearly review?

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MHBoston

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston

What brought on the change?

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 24 | k.w ~ 1 |

no1

MHBoston wrote:What brought on the change?

hormones, would be my guess.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:i like how mr. gatzby is subject to filtering as well.

Why? The best thing I found is , I can put myself on probation!
Doesn't effect my ability to moderate either.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1

dontwantaname wrote:Why? The best thing I found is , I can put myself on probation!
Doesn't effect my ability to moderate either.

self-probation leads to hairy palms and blindness.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:self-probation leads to hairy palms and blindness.

You are thinking of something completely different.
That is a guy thing.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

Have to say, I love the change. How about a "Probation" count in there as well!!

Slydon

Staff

dave bug wrote:Then, apparently, you give slydon $10 and he puts a good word in for you.

This new forum design has my total support.

ps: there's a little tea mixed in, Gatz.

Gatzby

Slydon wrote:This new forum design has my total support.

ps: there's a little tea mixed in, Gatz.

Tea, in this case, meaning rum.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
dave bug wrote:Here's how this works. In a forum thread (almost always the current Woot thread), you say something of interest, something funny, or ask/answer a good question. A moderator marks your post as 'quality' causing it to be displayed on the Woot home page that day and adding one to your quality post total (so, yes, it's cumulative).

Question .... Someone reported that a quality post was made to embarass someone, rather than it being an actual quality post. Will this still happen?

Also, when does the quality post show up in your count? I was at 5, and got a "quality post" today, but it hasn't increased my count yet.

Wait, I forgot to email Slydon that the $10 is in the mail .....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Gatzby

MarkDaSpark wrote:Question .... Someone reported that a quality post was made to embarass someone, rather than it being an actual quality post. Will this still happen?

Also, when does the quality post show up in your count? I was at 5, and got a "quality post" today, but it hasn't increased my count yet.

Wait, I forgot to email Slydon that the $10 is in the mail .....

Chances are, everybody was kind of joking there and that falls under the humor category. You are, most likely, not going to see any posts dedicated to shaming someone.

Oh, I suppose you could be referring to the last woot-off, where there was some moderator fun going around. Like pretty much everything else, spotlighting is a bit more laid back during woot-offs.

And yes, I see your $10 went through, since you have 6 now.

YouCantWootThis

quality posts: 17 Private Messages YouCantWootThis

Seriously, I've posted quality stuff like:

1. Can I use this with iTunes? for vacuums.
2. Will this run Unix? for Bacon Salt
3. Bring on the Bought On Credit, this item vacuums! when there isn't a vacuum being offered.

With posts like that, how can they not count them as "quality posts"???

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

YouCantWootThis wrote:Seriously, I've posted quality stuff like:

1. Can I use this with iTunes? for vacuums.
2. Will this run Unix? for Bacon Salt
3. Bring on the Bought On Credit, this item vacuums! when there isn't a vacuum being offered.

With posts like that, how can they not count them as "quality posts"???

Guess it can't display negative numbers.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Corradovt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Corradovt
Slydon wrote:Bribes. You probably dropped ten bucks by accident and the post checker just misunderstood your intent.

Can I have my money back?

jawajohn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jawajohn

interesting new change....I never knew I'd received the honor of a quality post...is there anyway to see what they are besides going back through every woot to the day I joined?

fruit cocktail

Sure I know what sex is....a kind of cake....right?

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
jawajohn wrote:interesting new change....I never knew I'd received the honor of a quality post...is there anyway to see what they are besides going back through every woot to the day I joined?

I bet if you PM Slydon he'll be glad to look it up for you, and immediately reply; within about 5 or 6 minutes. I bet that'll happen.

Slydon

Staff

Josephus wrote:I bet if you PM Slydon he'll be glad to look it up for you, and immediately reply; within about 5 or 6 minutes. I bet that'll happen.

you're like pluto

dead to me

Josephus

Slydon wrote:you're like pluto

dead to me

Oh, no, I hadn't heard about Pluto. Mickey must be devastated!

< getting a lot of PMs, there, fella? >

majit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages majit
dave bug wrote:Here's how this works. In a forum thread (almost always the current Woot thread), you say something of interest, something funny, or ask/answer a good question. A moderator marks your post as 'quality' causing it to be displayed on the Woot home page that day and adding one to your quality post total (so, yes, it's cumulative)...

How about us Wooters voting for the "Quality Post"? That way, moderators can't be bribed for just a lousy $10.

Or better yet, Wooters can only vote if they have at least one purchase.

Or even better, Wooters can only vote if they have at least one purchase and at least one "Quality Post"

Or even better than that......

majit

majit wrote:How about us Wooters voting for the "Quality Post"? That way, moderators can't be bribed for just a lousy $10.

Or better yet, Wooters can only vote if they have at least one purchase.

Or even better, Wooters can only vote if they have at least one purchase and at least one "Quality Post"

Or even better than that......

majit, that is one fine quality post!

majit

majit wrote:majit, that is one fine quality post!

Thank you.

(Does a "Thank you" qualify for a "Quality Post"?)

undertow976

quality posts: 6 Private Messages undertow976

Is there any way of telling what post gave me a 'quality post' point? I think a cool addition would be a link from the quality post counter that would show us the posts.

Josephus

undertow976 wrote:Is there any way of telling what post gave me a 'quality post' point? I think a cool addition would be a link from the quality post counter that would show us the posts.

I bet if you PM Slydon he'll be glad to look it up for you, and immediately reply; within about 5 or 6 minutes. I bet that'll happen.*

*this is almost certainly false. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post it again, though, and I apologize for it.

gwp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwp
Josephus wrote:Oh, no, I hadn't heard about Pluto. Mickey must be devastated!

Don't be Goofy.

no1

how about actually marking the posts which have been tagged as quality posts as such? i notice that dave bug has been awarded a quality post in this thread, as noted in the first post by wiz, but the post itself is unadorned.

wizard7926

no1 wrote:how about actually marking the posts which have been tagged as quality posts as such? i notice that dave bug has been awarded a quality post in this thread, as noted in the first post by wiz, but the post itself is unadorned.

Yeah, kinda like how Gatz and other staffers have a different colored bar for the top of their posts.

Also, it definitely wasn't me who added the Quality Post info to my OP..

hobbie

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hobbie

Any way to get some QP for posts made months ago?

Komarimashitane!

windowphobe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages windowphobe

And, of course, the Quantity Posts count remains available.

Please, Reverend Jim, more Kool-Aid!