KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

Want to join the woot Mario Kart racers? Have another game with online play and you want to swap numbers with some friendly people? Looking for some wii friends to share in the fun of online play?

Here is the Spot!

Post your Mario Kart Driver's licenses, or any other online game codes.

Compare and comment on the games you are playing and ask questions before you buy. Odds are one of us has played it!

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

MARIO KART WII

I have two Wii drivers that have driven on WFC before (well, three, but I only have the licenses for two of them right now).

EASTERN TIME ZONE

My Wii driver's license number is 0731-8934-0561. My Mii is named "Fat Daddy," as they say you should model your Mii after what you aspire to be...

One daughter's licence number is 4425-5777-2734. Her Mii is named "G-Bone." I don't know what that tells about her dreams and aspirations.

In order for my characters to show up as your friends, you need to share your license numbers as well-- I don't think we'll show up on anyone else's Wii unless each side has entered the license numbers of each other.

If there's enough interest, perhaps there can be a couple standard driving times where wooters can set up a room and race...

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
kenney9226 wrote:MARIO KART WII
*snip*
If there's enough interest, perhaps there can be a couple standard driving times where wooters can set up a room and race...

Or just bump this thread when you are going to be on...

KtCallista

MARIO KART WII

Here is my driver's number. I don't get online too much, but I love to race with friends and make a point to try to be there then.

My drivers license is: 4940-9913-1504 (username Athena)

My husband also has an account, but really he almost never gets online with it. He can post his numbers on his own

I'm in the Pacific Time Zone, so if you want to race, keep that in mind. I am occasionally home during the day though, so that can make things easier.

arcsus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus

MARIO KART WII
I haven't been on too much but if I see lots of fellow Wooters online I'll make an effort.

Here's my license number: 2965-4258-5570 (username: BK)

I'm in the Central Time zone

KtCallista

arcsus wrote:MARIO KART WII

I added you to my list of friends. If you add me, we should be friends by tomorrow.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Here's mine: 4726-3595-9447 (J-Dog)

-SkekTekkeroski

KtCallista

I ordered Animal Crossing with wii speak (newegg had a deal) It should be here soon. Anyone playing this game?

shan24

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shan24
KtCallista wrote:I ordered Animal Crossing with wii speak (newegg had a deal) It should be here soon. Anyone playing this game?

I'll be interested to know what you think of the game. I don't have it but I was wondering if it was worth the $$.

I just downloaded the demo of Rhythm Heaven from the Wii channel to my son's DS...that looks pretty good, I may have to get that one!

KtCallista

shan24 wrote:I'll be interested to know what you think of the game. I don't have it but I was wondering if it was worth the $$.

I just downloaded the demo of Rhythm Heaven from the Wii channel to my son's DS...that looks pretty good, I may have to get that one!

I have the gamecube version, so I will compare it to that. I don't have a DS, but I did buy wide world for a friend, and I've heard they are very similar.

On the review front, I know some of you guys are playing World of Goo. . . what's the overall feeling? Does it rock, does it pass the time, or is it just a great distraction from time to time?

shan24

KtCallista wrote:I have the gamecube version, so I will compare it to that. I don't have a DS, but I did buy wide world for a friend, and I've heard they are very similar.

On the review front, I know some of you guys are playing World of Goo. . . what's the overall feeling? Does it rock, does it pass the time, or is it just a great distraction from time to time?

I bought World of Goo from the WiiWare store...it was pretty good. I did finish it and haven't gone back to it since, but many of those levels were pretty tricky and I couldn't stop playing it until I beat them. Right now I'm playing Jewel Quest 3 on the pc and that is keeping me busy...I can't let it beat me haha.

NoneBlacker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NoneBlacker
shan24 wrote:I bought World of Goo from the WiiWare store...it was pretty good. I did finish it and haven't gone back to it since, but many of those levels were pretty tricky and I couldn't stop playing it until I beat them. Right now I'm playing Jewel Quest 3 on the pc and that is keeping me busy...I can't let it beat me haha.

ditto what he said. worth the $15.00.

KtCallista

Here is my Animal Crossing Town code!

0474-3968-3332
Town Name: Happy2.0
Character Name: Athena

I need your code before we can share, but I'd love to share towns with someone. Orc has a code too, but he can post that. I'm still working up a review, I wish I knew more about the DS version, but there are some very very pleasant upgrades from the gamecube version!

coffeenogrumpy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coffeenogrumpy

does anyone bowl?

pacific time

imagine a wooters bowling league

jqubed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jqubed
coffeenogrumpy wrote:does anyone bowl?

pacific time

imagine a wooters bowling league

Wii sports bowling can be played online?

ⅉℚ Seventh Annual Woot! Bracketology | I'm Quality Peoples!

Skye — 1997-2007

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

I'm going to have to break down and get a Wii. All I have is my PS2 which I hardly play anymore. The idea of playing with others online sounds fun!

KtCallista

KtCallista’s review of Animal Crossing: City Folk.

Okay, I promised a review. I have been playing this game for 2 weeks, hardly enough time to discover all the quirks and hidden events. This is a good thing, because if I had seen it all by now and if the town animals had gotten annoying already, it would not be worth the money. I must say upfront, I relish the option to edit this review with online play and wii speak info (I should probably install that) once I find an online buddy to play with and see how that changes the game play.

Animal Crossing as a genre is similar to a kid friendly version of the Sims. In the game you control a person who moves into a small town (village?) of animals. Your appearance is initially determined by your answer to questions in the start up part of the game. You get a small house with a mortgage (with no time-table for repayment) and you go through a brief tutorial in the disguise of your “first job.” The job doesn’t last long and soon you are free to play Animal Crossing anyway you want. There are no set goals or objectives, no strict way to play, from here on out you control what you want out of the game.

Since I played Animal Crossing for the Gamecube it is very hard to play City Folk without making comparisons, and I know that some of these ideas were knew for the DS version of the game, but I only played that for about 15 minutes using a friend’s character. Graphically the game does not look drastically different from the original. The lines are cleaner, there are a greater variety of objects, in house, in the world, and for your person. There are more tools that you can use to enjoy the environment, and to create with. The big items of fishing, collecting bugs, and home decorating are still very prevalent. They have expanded these activities and incorporate the wii mote and nunchuk in an intuitive and entertaining way.

I don’t know if the variety of trees has been improved (you still start with only one kind of fruit tree), but the variety of flowers is much better and they look much nicer. Additionally, the flowers can be crossbred through carful planting and judicious use of the water can. The flowers don’t simply make the town and your house beautiful on the outside, but they can be picked to adorn your hair, potted inside your house, or sold to Nook (the resident store clerk). With the ax, shovel, and water can you have the ability to design your town in any way you see fit. Advice is available at the town hall to make your town meet a goal set by the game (and receive awards for that accomplishment), but there is very little penalty for doing your own thing. Neglect and each day brings weeds (2 per day) and occasionally dandelions, which can be blown for fun or sold.

There are more furniture sets and a greatly improved item storage system. You can now keep furniture sets in your in house storage without cluttering your basement, however; your storage is now fixed to a limited amount regardless how many storage devices you have. Clothes have become much nicer and designing your own has many options that previously weren’t available. You can now control the front back, and each sleeve’s design independently (while in the Able Sister’s shop). Your personal appearance is also no longer fixed. Instead of hiding your head in a hat, you can head into the city for a makeover, giving you stylish and colorful hair, which you can further adorn with a variety of hats and accessories.

The town holidays, museum, and special visitors are all still intact although some of them have changed what they bring and how you interact with them. The villagers are less annoying although they still have the same personality types. You commonly will have the grouchy man, the jock, the guy who is always hungry, the girl who is sweet and innocent, the trendy girl, and the girl in between those two extremes. These characters are far more interactive and have less repetitive dialog. The characters notice you and approach you to talk. You don’t have to prompt them to find out if you can do a favor for them, and their dialog stays on topic with repeated conversations. They also converse with one another and give you the chance to listen in. Additionally, items that you give them, or they acquire from each other do appear in their houses. Their houses are as dynamic as yours and they also redecorate regularly, allowing you to make some shrewd trades and influence the content of the houses in your town.

Reading and writing is still a big component of the game, which will add difficulty for the youngest players. My 4 year old loves to watch the game and wants to play for herself, but the villagers talk in animalese and are translated in text. Additionally, they expect you to write them letters from time to time. A well-written letter can benefit you greatly as they frequently reply by mail and send you gifts. If your letter is well liked the villagers will share them with other human players they encounter. There is a warning that this will carry over to villagers lost to WFC exchanges, so watch what you write!

I have been fortunate enough to stumble across a few random events. They do enhance the game and make it a lot more fun. I had the opportunity to play hide and seek with 3 villagers (and my 4 year old daughter). I’ve had a villager invite me to hang out at their house at a specific time. Additionally, I’ve been asked to relay messages to the other person in our town.

The controls are fairly intuitive for this game. Typing is still difficult as it involves pointing the wii mote at the screen and there is no longer a hot key for space and capitalization (well not that I have found yet), you do get the option to switch to a phone text keyboard if you prefer. For walking you use the nunchuk, the wii mote is used for manipulating tools and can be used for pointing. In the world you can do almost everything with the nunchuk as the buttons are mostly mirrored with the C button as the A and the Z button as the B.

Cons: Orc really thinks the daily watering of flowers bites. I don’t mind it as it gives you something to do while walking around town and makes you go to all of the map. It is still in essence a single player game. Only one person can play at a time unless you are connecting over WFC. Each wii can only have one town at a time so if you don’t want to share with your family (or you have more than 4 people who want to play regularly) you are going to have problems. Even opening up the game to WFC interaction has little effect until you get some friends to share the town with. The optional book is largely useless. It does have item lists and a calendar for villager birthdays and regular events, but things you really want to know, like directing the barber to give you a haircut you like before you shell out 3000 bells are not included. It also has a few errors.

Pros: It is a big improvement over the original game. The new features are fun and offer a much needed variety that the original lacked. The city adds another shopping element although it could be better. You aren’t as punished for not playing everyday. The open format of game play is more promoted this time with the evaluations being almost non-existent and the HRA (house decorating evaluation) being very flexible. It is now much easier to play for shorter, less consistent time periods.

So I guess that is what I have so far. I like the game. I am glad I have it. I know it isn’t for everyone. The lack of structure and clear goals can make the game less fun for some. Many find the letter aspect annoying and I confess it is hard to think of what to write to the computer. I look forward to exploring the online aspect of the game. I know that having a friend visit will cause villagers to move out of my town, but it’ll still be something new to try.

shan24

KtCallista wrote:KtCallista’s review of Animal Crossing: City Folk.

Thanks for doing that review! That is a good outline of the game and very informative. I don't know if an open-ended game like that would keep me involved enough...I like a game with tasks to do, puzzles to solve, levels to beat, that's what keeps me coming back. I'd be afraid I'd let my flowers die and all the villagers would hate me for being antisocial. haha Based on your review though, I may give it a try. If two or more of us in the house play it, would we have our own people in the same town then?

One game I really got into was Pitfall for the Wii. I got sucked into it for nostalgia value of course, but it actually was pretty good. The puzzles to solve were hard but fun enough to keep me coming back to finish it. At times the controls in the game felt a little poor, but overall it was definitely worth it for a lower-priced game.

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote: I know that having a friend visit will cause villagers to move out of my town, but it’ll still be something new to try.

Why would villagers move out if someone came to visit?

KtCallista

shan24 wrote:Thanks for doing that review! That is a good outline of the game and very informative. I don't know if an open-ended game like that would keep me involved enough...I like a game with tasks to do, puzzles to solve, levels to beat, that's what keeps me coming back. I'd be afraid I'd let my flowers die and all the villagers would hate me for being antisocial. haha Based on your review though, I may give it a try. If two or more of us in the house play it, would we have our own people in the same town then?

One game I really got into was Pitfall for the Wii. I got sucked into it for nostalgia value of course, but it actually was pretty good. The puzzles to solve were hard but fun enough to keep me coming back to finish it. At times the controls in the game felt a little poor, but overall it was definitely worth it for a lower-priced game.

There are 4 empty houses in the town. Up to four players can move in, each one taking their own house and decorating and everything on their own. You would share the same town with the same villagers.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:Why would villagers move out if someone came to visit?

That's from the origional. Whenever someone comes to your town a villager finds they need the change of pace and they go live in your friend's town. If you visit a friend's town the same thing happens for you. There are tons of NPC's built into the game, and I guess it does give you more variety to meet more of the characters, but you also have to start over making a new friend.

kdccrosby

I'll move my Animal Crossing talk over here so I don't drive everyone else crazy with it.

I've done pretty well so far, although I find it irritating that I can't change the floor or walls in the bedroom in my house.

I got to the city to late tonight to get my hair changed, and didn't have enough bells the first time. caught some butterflies, but no fish yet.

so far - I like it! I managed to be there to buy turnips this morning - so I'll sell them this week.

The whole real-time thing is a new touch for me.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:I'll move my Animal Crossing talk over here so I don't drive everyone else crazy with it.

I've done pretty well so far, although I find it irritating that I can't change the floor or walls in the bedroom in my house.

I got to the city to late tonight to get my hair changed, and didn't have enough bells the first time. caught some butterflies, but no fish yet.

so far - I like it! I managed to be there to buy turnips this morning - so I'll sell them this week.

The whole real-time thing is a new touch for me.

You can tweak the time. When you start the game and Rover says Hi, you can do "Other Things" and there is a time setting in there. We set ours to a two hour delay since we primarily play after we put the kids in bed and are tired of only having an hour to shop before the store closes.

The first time you get a make-over at Shampoodle in the city it is free! (it lets you get a mask of any Mii on your system).

What fruit do you have? I have apples and pears. I got given a pear by a villager and planted it. Now I have a bunch of pear trees.

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:You can tweak the time. When you start the game and Rover says Hi, you can do "Other Things" and there is a time setting in there. We set ours to a two hour delay since we primarily play after we put the kids in bed and are tired of only having an hour to shop before the store closes.

The first time you get a make-over at Shampoodle in the city it is free! (it lets you get a mask of any Mii on your system).

What fruit do you have? I have apples and pears. I got given a pear by a villager and planted it. Now I have a bunch of pear trees.

I only have apples so far. I planted a few flowers by my house, oh and planted one red turnip? I think I need to at least log in and water that one every day?

Oh - I found several fossils and donated them to the museum. That was fun. And I played with a pinwheel.

I'll try tweaking the time so that I can get my makeover. pink hair is just not my thing.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:I only have apples so far. I planted a few flowers by my house, oh and planted one red turnip? I think I need to at least log in and water that one every day?

Oh - I found several fossils and donated them to the museum. That was fun. And I played with a pinwheel.

I'll try tweaking the time so that I can get my makeover. pink hair is just not my thing.

I had brown when I started, but then I had blonde, now it is white. My husband has blue hair. My daughter picked it for him. My starting hair was a nightmare! I was so happy to get it changed. I finally got a pinwheel in the city today, first time the prize guy as been there! My husband got a pink bubble wand.

If I come to your town I will bring pears, they sell for more.

I love the museum! We finished our first dinosaur today, the velociraptor.

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:I had brown when I started, but then I had blonde, now it is white. My husband has blue hair. My daughter picked it for him. My starting hair was a nightmare! I was so happy to get it changed. I finally got a pinwheel in the city today, first time the prize guy as been there! My husband got a pink bubble wand.

If I come to your town I will bring pears, they sell for more.

I love the museum! We finished our first dinosaur today, the velociraptor.

It never occured to me the fossiles could be used to complete something! I have three so far.

I think this game is more fun for me b/c I have you and others to talk about it with, and eventually visit. I'm glad I got it!

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:It never occured to me the fossiles could be used to complete something! I have three so far.

I think this game is more fun for me b/c I have you and others to talk about it with, and eventually visit. I'm glad I got it!

Having it be social does make it more fun!

I even designed a new flag for when you come visit.

shan24

KtCallista wrote:Having it be social does make it more fun!

I even designed a new flag for when you come visit.

Ok you guys are making me want this game a little bit! Maybe I'll ask for one for mother's day If I tell my husband that now though, he'll go buy it now and then be like "so what do you want for mother's day? I don't know what to get you." haha

I didn't realize the game wanted you to play it 24/7 though to be able to do everything. I don't play the Wii very much overall, so I'd have to make a point to check in on the game once a night. If I didn't play it all morning or afternoon, only at night, will I miss out on half the game?

KtCallista

shan24 wrote:Ok you guys are making me want this game a little bit! Maybe I'll ask for one for mother's day If I tell my husband that now though, he'll go buy it now and then be like "so what do you want for mother's day? I don't know what to get you." haha

I didn't realize the game wanted you to play it 24/7 though to be able to do everything. I don't play the Wii very much overall, so I'd have to make a point to check in on the game once a night. If I didn't play it all morning or afternoon, only at night, will I miss out on half the game?

There are two remedies. One; you can change the time everytime you login. Not a huge deal, but if you get to messing with it too much you get your days off and you never know what time it is in the game (although there is an ingame clock). Two; you can just play at night, but shift your time towards mid-day. Most events happen around mid-day or are morning or afternoon, if your time is set to mid-day you should see everything (KK Slider bringing music each Saturday night and meteor showers are the only two major events I think you would miss doing this). A little time shifting for early or late events and you'd have it covered. There is a good community site for the game, the wii game is AC:City Folk. It is good for learning about the happenings.

Personally I usually play at night, but I play during my kid's nap on the days I am home. We have our town shifted 2 hours behind our local time. So when it is 10 at home it is only 8 in the game. If we want to buy turnips it gives us time after church. But it makes it so KK doesn't show up until late and catching the Wisp (who only appears very late at night) hard - we haven't done yet. I do have the lamp for him, but I haven't time shifted my game nor stayed up late/got up early enough to catch him.

KtCallista

newegg is running the deal on Animal Crossing again. . . $40 and it comes with wii speak.

If you are being seduced by the game or know someone who is, this is a good deal.

kdccrosby

Okay KtC - I added you to my friend roster

Here is my info:

code: 2450-1266-8797

name: Kim (original I know)

town name: Banita

I found the frog fish! and finally figured out how to get out an umbrella. It's raining in Banita right now...

Edit: I got a makeover, and made myself look like the ONE Mii I had created, only now my head looks HUGE on the little body. My Mii was much taller.

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

Here is my Animal Crossing Town code!

1204-5499-6172
Character Name: Jason

It's the same town as KtC, just you get to hangout with me instead.

shan24

I got Animal Crossing for Mother's Day! It seems pretty cool so far. I did all the jobs at Nook's Cranny, caught a bunch of fish, went to the City, don't remember what all I did. Towards the end I was just sort of wandering around wondering what to do, but it was still fun. I turned it on this morning (son wanted me to see if that cardboard box he wanted me to order had come in yet - haha) and I could tell that different things were happening, some strange camel was wandering around looking for old carpets, etc. Is there something in particular I should be doing, or working towards, or saving money for? I got the bundle with the Wii Speak, but haven't used that yet.

kdccrosby

Orcrist42 wrote:Here is my Animal Crossing Town code!

1204-5499-6172
Character Name: Jason

It's the same town as KtC, just you get to hangout with me instead.

I somehow missed this post when you posted it.. I'm going to add you to my town.

kdccrosby

shan24 wrote:I got Animal Crossing for Mother's Day! It seems pretty cool so far. I did all the jobs at Nook's Cranny, caught a bunch of fish, went to the City, don't remember what all I did. Towards the end I was just sort of wandering around wondering what to do, but it was still fun. I turned it on this morning (son wanted me to see if that cardboard box he wanted me to order had come in yet - haha) and I could tell that different things were happening, some strange camel was wandering around looking for old carpets, etc. Is there something in particular I should be doing, or working towards, or saving money for? I got the bundle with the Wii Speak, but haven't used that yet.

Every day I play I look for fossils (the star on the ground that you dig up), fish and catch stuff and sell it. you want to pay off your first mortgage so that your house will get bigger! Also, as you talk to everyone, they will give you little jobs to do.

If you have the Wi Connect hooked up, feel free to add me and you can come visit my town.

KtCallista

shan24 wrote:I got Animal Crossing for Mother's Day! It seems pretty cool so far. I did all the jobs at Nook's Cranny, caught a bunch of fish, went to the City, don't remember what all I did. Towards the end I was just sort of wandering around wondering what to do, but it was still fun. I turned it on this morning (son wanted me to see if that cardboard box he wanted me to order had come in yet - haha) and I could tell that different things were happening, some strange camel was wandering around looking for old carpets, etc. Is there something in particular I should be doing, or working towards, or saving money for? I got the bundle with the Wii Speak, but haven't used that yet.

The animals will start to point you towards goals. The first goal really is paying off your first loan, although once you find a dresser or wardrobe you can start expanding your catalog of items and find a theme for both your wardrobe and your house. Every time you pay off your loan the house will get bigger until you have the biggest house, however; the loan becomes less important once you have enough space to build a style.

Linking with friends really adds to the game. I've really enjoyed hanging out with kdc and visiting each other's towns. The animals suggest playing games with friends (fishing/bug hunt contests, playing hide and seek, other games). Once in the original game I stored a ton of items and pitfalls and played a treasure hunt with my friends (of course then they had to login one at a time on my gamecube then).

Posting your info is relatively safe here, because a person needs you to add them before they can access your town.

kdccrosby

I added Orc to my list.

completed my first fossil today! but I forgot which one it was. I played hide-n-go seek yesterday. lot's to do in my little town.

shan24

On Animal Crossing, did anyone notice the colors of the bus that takes you to town where you go shopping? A coincidence? Or a conspiracy...?

kdccrosby

shan24 wrote:On Animal Crossing, did anyone notice the colors of the bus that takes you to town where you go shopping? A coincidence? Or a conspiracy...?

conspiracy!!

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon

This isn't really a Wii thing, but I noticed some of you have DS's as well. Have any of you actually completed a trade via Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass's boxes?