pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
cruzer wrote:My American Grammar book is at school, but if I remember correctly from that class, it should be Kroger's' because without the second apostrophe it doesn't show possession. I'm not a grammarian, though. I just took a class and teach it on the 4th grade level. That's not exactly a 4th grade level question...

Just seems like that second apostrophe SHOULD be there. But it looks wrong.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

Evening all! Just added 2 G ram to my 5 year old desktop. Moving much faster. YAY! Don't know why I didn't add it years ago. too lazy I guess.

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
pooflady wrote:Just seems like that second apostrophe SHOULD be there. But it looks wrong.

Oops... It's GEG but I agree that it seems like it should be there. Cruzer and I are trying to look it up on the internet somewhere.

cruzer

pooflady wrote:Just seems like that second apostrophe SHOULD be there. But it looks wrong.

Can you just change it to the employees of _________? That would be easier.

pooflady

cruzer wrote:Can you just change it to the employees of _________? That would be easier.

Uh, no, court reporters have to take testimony verbatim.

Iceback

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
cruzer wrote:Oops... It's GEG but I agree that it seems like it should be there. Cruzer and I are trying to look it up on the internet somewhere.

GEG this is for your Sarnia friend Ontario Song

In the end only kindness matters

cruzer

pooflady wrote:Uh, no, court reporters have to take testimony verbatim.

Oh, nevermind then. We couldn't find anything about it anywhere online. So, do what you think is right and no one else will really know because apparently it's not a commonly known rule?

Sorry we couldn't be more help

cruzer

Iceback wrote:GEG this is for your Sarnia friend Ontario Song

I'll pass it along.

pooflady

cruzer wrote:Oh, nevermind then. We couldn't find anything about it anywhere online. So, do what you think is right and no one else will really know because apparently it's not a commonly known rule?

Sorry we couldn't be more help

Thanks for trying.

kdccrosby

Gallery Furniture warehouse is on FIRE here in Houston. it is a HUGE fire. Mattress Mack won't be saving anyone any money this week...

cruzer

pooflady wrote:Thanks for trying.

I feel defeated now... I want to know now when you figure it out, so be sure to post the correct way it's written.

kdccrosby

going to bed. Goodnight all!

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:Gallery Furniture warehouse is on FIRE here in Houston. it is a HUGE fire. Mattress Mack won't be saving anyone any money this week...

Just saw it on TV here.

pooflady

cruzer wrote:I feel defeated now... I want to know now when you figure it out, so be sure to post the correct way it's written.

Just checked the Macy's website and they only have one apostrophe all the way through. I guess I'll go with Mrs. Ice and that.

pooflady

And now I somehow got into a punctuation argument in WOW without meaning to at all.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hello all. Poof, you inspired me. I have a Harvey Wallbanger cake in the oven. We're having our End-of-Year Meeting tomorrow. I'm bringing that for dessert. It's not on district property so that should be ok.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

DA59 wrote:Hello all. Poof, you inspired me. I have a Harvey Wallbanger cake in the oven. We're having our End-of-Year Meeting tomorrow. I'm bringing that for dessert. It's not on district property so that should be ok.

I envy you, mine's all gone.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Just checked the Macy's website and they only have one apostrophe all the way through. I guess I'll go with Mrs. Ice and that.

The Chicago Manual of Style gave a none answer:

Q. Is there an acceptable way to form the possessive of words such as Macy’s and Sotheby’s? Sometimes rewording to avoid the possessive results in less felicitous writing.

A. Less felicitous than “Sotheby’s’s”? I don’t think so.

The bottom section discusses it a bit Sounds like no firm rule.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady

DA59 wrote:The Chicago Manual of Style gave a none answer:

Q. Is there an acceptable way to form the possessive of words such as Macy’s and Sotheby’s? Sometimes rewording to avoid the possessive results in less felicitous writing.

A. Less felicitous than “Sotheby’s’s”? I don’t think so.

's's? Wow.
You're right, the question was ignored.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:I envy you, mine's all gone.

Glad you liked it. Licking the bowl is even yummy. It's just about done.

pooflady

DA59 wrote:Glad you liked it. Licking the bowl is even yummy. It's just about done.

It took awhile for me to put the glaze on. I started with the cake on a wire rack with a plate underneath. After the first application, I waited some, transferred the cake to a cake plate, then spooned (carefully) some of the glaze from the first plate. Then waited and did it again.

coffeenogrumpy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coffeenogrumpy

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:It took awhile for me to put the glaze on. I started with the cake on a wire rack with a plate underneath. After the first application, I waited some, transferred the cake to a cake plate, then spooned (carefully) some of the glaze from the first plate. Then waited and did it again.

Yeah, I remember doing that. I'll wing it when I get in there... which is now.

ThunderThighs

Staff

DA59 wrote:Yeah, I remember doing that. I'll wing it when I get in there... which is now.

I put foil under the rack. I put a new piece of foil under the rack when done and then I could just fold it and pour it again. I use kabob spears to poke holes in the cake. Most of the glaze stays in the ridges on the top anyway.

pooflady

DA59 wrote:I put foil under the rack. I put a new piece of foil under the rack when done and then I could just fold it and pour it again. I use kabob spears to poke holes in the cake. Most of the glaze stays in the ridges on the top anyway.

I poked holes with kabob spears, too. No way would the glaze stay in the ridges. I put it on by teaspoonfuls and then kind of rubbed it in with the back of the spoon because it dripped down the sides. And the glaze was transparent, right?

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Night all

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady

dontwantaname wrote:Night all

Night, D'name.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:I poked holes with kabob spears, too. No way would the glaze stay in the ridges. I put it on by teaspoonfuls and then kind of rubbed it in with the back of the spoon because it dripped down the sides. And the glaze was transparent, right?

Yes, orangy transparent. My bunt pan might be a bit different than yours. Mine has a ridge alone the outer edge and then in the middle. Picture

pooflady

DA59 wrote:Yes, orangy transparent. My bunt pan might be a bit different than yours. Mine has a ridge alone the outer edge and then in the middle. Picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BundtCake.JPG

What's your glaze recipe? Mine was 1 oz. each of galliano, vodka and OJ, and 1 cup xxx sugar.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BundtCake.JPG

What's your glaze recipe? Mine was 1 oz. each of galliano, vodka and OJ, and 1 cup xxx sugar.

Powered sugar. Yes that was the recipe.

My pan may be closer to an angel food pan but it's scored with decorations with a flat bottom.

pooflady

DA59 wrote:Powered sugar. Yes that was the recipe.

Actually, here's a picture and the recipe for the one I made. I don't know where the orange slices come from. Doesn't seem like mine was that shiny.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Harvey-Wallbanger-Cake/Detail.aspx

ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Actually, here's a picture and the recipe for the one I made. I don't know where the orange slices come from. Doesn't seem like mine was that shiny.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Harvey-Wallbanger-Cake/Detail.aspx

Yep, that's the recipe. I have it from a small tag that was on a bottle of Galliano a long time ago. Mine isn't shiney either and I wouldn't put orange slices on it.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Gack! Midnight! I need to get to bed! Gnite!

pooflady

DA59 wrote:Gack! Midnight! I need to get to bed! Gnite!

Me too.

Night all. Tomorrow.

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon

*restraint*

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

Anyone going to Japan soon? $5 for shipping with a delivery time of 1-3 weeks on a $10 CD sux.

Still single, can't imagine why.

joyner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner

Good morning everybody! Hey Fen, school is out already? What are your summer plans?

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Krogers' employees" is plural/possessive.

Mornin' folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

cruzer

morning all.

I still say it's Kroger's employees even though the name is Kroger, not Kroger's as far as I know.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
cruzer wrote:morning all.

I still say it's Kroger's employees even though the name is Kroger, not Kroger's as far as I know.

your right - Kroger - although it would also be correct to say simply Kroger employees. I thought the store name ended in s.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.