FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
KtCallista wrote:That right there is very sad. My daughters both have best friends who are Asian. As in their parents are immigrants here. Ver1 talks weekly about taking a trip to Taiwan to visit friends. In their play they travel to Taiwan.

I'm not going to say it's safer here, we have our own eccentric extremist groups, but. . . .

Mostly it would be my paranoia, but you run across so real crazies now and then. I guess it isn't as bad as I make it out to be. It also depends on where in the south you are. Where I am it isn't too bad, but if you went into the hills or something, I'm guessing it would be.

Still single, can't imagine why.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
FenStar wrote:Mostly it would be my paranoia, but you run across so real crazies now and then. I guess it isn't as bad as I make it out to be. It also depends on where in the south you are. Where I am it isn't too bad, but if you went into the hills or something, I'm guessing it would be.

Since our extremist hate groups made national news they've been laying low. Still there are towns I wouldn't suggest going to if you aren't a member of the "good-ol boys" club, heck they even go after women that aren't women-ly enough.

I feel blessed to live where I am, I know it is unique and mostly because we have two Universities here and not much else. It gives the area an international crossroads feel while still being a small town. We've sacrificed a bit to stay here, but things are good right now.

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

FenStar wrote:Are men allowed to wear Messenger Bags?

Yes, but you call it a Jack Bauer Bag.

EDIT: Ok, I don't think you could get away with calling THAT bag a Jack Bauer Bag.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

KtCallista wrote:Actually it wasn't just homophobia I was referring to, it's the culture down there, very closed minded, in a sad kinda way. It's very closed off and unwelcoming to change or outsiders. . .

I'm gonna start getting grumpy here in a bit.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

KtCallista

DA59 wrote:I'm gonna start getting grumpy here in a bit.

I've never been to Texas (in my memory - I went once as a baby), is it like the other South? I know the Southwest is different.

ThunderThighs

Staff

KtCallista wrote:I've never been to Texas (in my memory - I went once as a baby), is it like the other South? I know the Southwest is different.

I think it's inappropriate to lump everyone together as being closed minded (or anything else) based on a geographical location, race, or gender. Such generalizations serve no purpose.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Heading to bed before the discussion digresses more. Gnite.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
DA59 wrote:Heading to bed before the discussion digresses more. Gnite.

Yep, agree.

Night all. Tomorrow.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
FenStar wrote:If I was an African American, or an Asian, I would not live in the south. I would be afraid someone was going to kill me in the middle of the night.

It is not that bad!!!! I think it is probably worse in the small and more isolated towns, but I truly don't think it is that bad in more urban areas. It is just another stero-type to think that people in the south hate everyone who is non-white or straight.

As far as people mentioning that they know someone who is simply delightful when the subject is brought up - it could also just be a way to try to relate to the subject, or explain their views.

The bag was cute, but I wouldn't consider it business appropriate for either a man or a woman. But for personal use, sure.

I went to bed early and missed all kinds of interesting stuff!

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Mornin', folks.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

morning.

pooflady

Morning all. Going to be another beautiful day. (Any day without humidity is a beautiful day.)

LittleMissRachel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleMissRachel
pooflady wrote:Morning all. Going to be another beautiful day. (Any day without humidity is a beautiful day.)

Agreed. Humidity is just about the worst thing ever.

LMR's opinions are like margaritas: intoxicating, and best taken with a bit of salt.

kdccrosby

LittleMissRachel wrote:Agreed. Humidity is just about the worst thing ever.

I wouldn't know what a day without humidity is like. not in the Houston area. There is just humidity that feels like walking into a brick wall when you go outside, and humidity that isn't quite that bad.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:I wouldn't know what a day without humidity is like. not in the Houston area. There is just humidity that feels like walking into a brick wall when you go outside, and humidity that isn't quite that bad.

*shudder*

AZGman

Good afternoon . . . . for most of us!!

LittleMissRachel

kdccrosby wrote:I wouldn't know what a day without humidity is like. not in the Houston area. There is just humidity that feels like walking into a brick wall when you go outside, and humidity that isn't quite that bad.

*whimper*

LMR's opinions are like margaritas: intoxicating, and best taken with a bit of salt.

AZGman

Almost time to fire up the grill!!

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
AZGman wrote:Almost time to fire up the grill!!

Fired up and done!

Hamburgers and teriyaki chicken. Plus mushrooms all grilled.

Also, the assault on the carpenter bees continues. Just patched up about 10 holes on the underside of the slide of the wooden playset. And with my trusty tennis racket, the score is Human: 8, Bees: 0 for today.

LittleMissRachel

AZGman wrote:Almost time to fire up the grill!!

I'm glad it's finally warm enough to!

SkekTek

LittleMissRachel wrote:I'm glad it's finally warm enough to!

Amen. And not too hot or mosquito infested either.

AZGman

SkekTek wrote:Fired up and done!

Hamburgers and teriyaki chicken. Plus mushrooms all grilled.

Also, the assault on the carpenter bees continues. Just patched up about 10 holes on the underside of the slide of the wooden playset. And with my trusty tennis racket, the score is Human: 8, Bees: 0 for today.

Also done - London Broil medium rare

SkekTek

AZGman wrote:Also done - London Broil medium rare

Nice. I love grill steak.

pooflady

Top round roast is on the spit. Twice-baked potatoes in the oven. Creamed corn on the stove.

AZGman

SkekTek wrote:Nice. I love grill steak.

Cow is good!!

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Top round roast is on the spit. Twice-baked potatoes in the oven. Creamed corn on the stove.

Can I come over? yum. I'm getting ready to eat a salad.

KtCallista

LittleMissRachel wrote:I'm glad it's finally warm enough to!

What ya doing? I think I have something marinating in the fridge. . . it should be meat.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:Can I come over? yum. I'm getting ready to eat a salad.

I'll let you come over here. . . bring salad to share!

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:I'll let you come over here. . . bring salad to share!

That would be good, if the salad wouldn't be a sad salad by the time I got there.

KtCallista

kdccrosby wrote:That would be good, if the salad wouldn't be a sad salad by the time I got there.

still working on transporter theory, not making much progress either, sorry. . . .

SkekTek

KtCallista wrote:still working on transporter theory, not making much progress either, sorry. . . .

Someone's gotta invent the LAN barbeque. That'll be real progress.

KtCallista

SkekTek wrote:Someone's gotta invent the LAN barbeque. That'll be real progress.

That's tomorrow

kdccrosby

KtCallista wrote:That's tomorrow

I still don't really understand what you do at those. kind of, but not really. sounds interesting though!

pooflady

pooflady wrote:Top round roast is on the spit. Twice-baked potatoes in the oven. Creamed corn on the stove.

Usually I'll do a rump roast on the spit, but when I called to order it yesterday, the butcher said he didn't have any rump but he'd give me top round and that's better. I disagree as far as taste.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Usually I'll do a rump roast on the spit, but when I called to order it yesterday, the butcher said he didn't have any rump but he'd give me top round and that's better. I disagree as far as taste.

it wasn't as good? it still sounded yummy though! you would think from the name it would be better.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:it wasn't as good? it still sounded yummy though! you would think from the name it would be better.

Didn't seem as good to us. Maybe more tender.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:Didn't seem as good to us. Maybe more tender.

well, next time you'll get a good rump then! hee hee.

still sounds better than my salad, even though it was good.

pooflady

kdccrosby wrote:well, next time you'll get a good rump then! hee hee.

still sounds better than my salad, even though it was good.

How's this sound?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Onions/Detail.aspx

I read the reviews and would make a couple changes, but I'm going to have to try this.

SkekTek

KtCallista wrote:That's tomorrow

Nice to see Starcraft still being LANplayed...

Night all... sleepies are attacking us.

kdccrosby

pooflady wrote:How's this sound?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grilled-Onions/Detail.aspx

I read the reviews and would make a couple changes, but I'm going to have to try this.

Those sound good! what changes will you make? some of the ones in the comments sounded interesting. I love grilled onions.