hbanzapan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hbanzapan

This is the only shirt I've ever seen that actually conveys a sound. I can hear the droplets whenever I see it.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

Congrats on the print, loop!

This was a must-buy the minute I saw it last week. I love rain, or anything to do with rain. I have a humongous folder of music with rain in the title, lyrics, or somehow related to rain.

Also, I'm thinking of taking soothedbyrainfall's online persona (joke joke)

great job...

Reawen

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
silent7seven wrote:Does anyone else have a problem with the asphalt color turning a vibrant rust color in the armpits?

Well, I've never had that issue with woot shirts, but that would have to do either with your own sweat or possibly the type of deodorant you use. Either way, try washing them right after wearing. I often get lazy and put off doing laundry for a long time... but for things that have color issues like that, the longer you leave deodorant/sweat/whatever on the shirt, the more the color can shift.

Aaaanyway, great shirt infinityloop! I didn't think I would be getting anything from this derby, but couldn't keep my $10 in my wallet after seeing this one ^_^

mindyk1212

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mindyk1212
hbanzapan wrote:This is the only shirt I've ever seen that actually conveys a sound. I can hear the droplets whenever I see it.

Agreed! This design is just amazing. Congrats again to the artist.

Check out World of Dice- All things dice featuring a unique collection of dice jewelry.
And Gifts and Blessings- Buy gifts for one and provide blessings for many.

4Se7ens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4Se7ens
ztfreep wrote:Let us simply ignore copyright law for a moment.

To begin with, I wonder if any given design is the same size on all size shirts. I cannot imagine it varying. However, if a big shirt had a big copy of the design, you would prefer to buy one of those. If the design is the same size on all then it is irrelevant and you ought to buy one that you (or someone you wish to give it to) could wear it.

In any case, if you have a truly primo camera or have access to a friend who has one (and it is going to have to have RAW output available), you certainly could, with careful work, obtain an excellent and true-color electronic representation of the design

At this point, you have two (or possibly more) routes to take. You could merely depend on Really Good resampling algorithm and print it on decent acid-free glossy stock, frame it & there you go.

The alternative would be to import it into Photoshop or GIMP or whatever you like: in this case it has to be something that handles line drawings particularly well and represent the lines mathematically so that scaling is direct and exact. There is a format that works to this standard that Wikipedia prefers. The point being that when you make an enlargement, it ends up being about as perfect a copy as you can obtain. Then, once again you go through whatever printing process you happen to like or have available.

Then you'd have the art you could hand in the halls of a museum. Of course, you would have STOLEN the design, in effect, but at least you'd have it in the format you want and not as a T-shirt.

For what it is worth, that is why I always save off the "detail" copy of the graphics. I realize that they are generally too small to be used in the first method to speak of, but one might be able to deal with the second if the detail was not onerously complex.

In any case, I've got a 13x19 inch printer (and you should see how much the paper costs and how fast it slurps through ink!) Nonetheless, I have been able to take some better-than-average photographs - one of my favorites is the seed-empty head of a giant sunflower plant once all of the seeds have been picked out by the birds and the remain portions are a nearly continuous "pointy" field of structures that had previously held the seeds. One person might see it as an ugly dead plant, but I consider it to be not unlike some of the more modern, abstract and radially symmetrically pieces of art. Blown up to a fair portion of the big sheet of paper, (about5x enlargement from the original), it ends up being fairly impressive, particularly with dust in the air and a bright sun just off to the side behind it.

So... if you like a t-shirt design a lot, perhaps you can contact the artist and get a print made for some reasonable fee. Or else, you can go through the rather arcane process I've outlined above. If the artist found that enough people wanted prints made (and supposing that shirt.woot! doesn't hold some sort of exclusivity clause), then perhaps they could make a tidy profit performing this service - the topic seems to come up often enough here in the community, so there HAS to be some kind of outlet for that kind of energy.

So, your ex-girlfriend threw a book at your crotch?

bearysoft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bearysoft

YaY!!! Congrats on winning first place!!!
Ordered one for me & now waiting/hoping Salsa wins this weekend too. My son loves that one.

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

To begin with, I wonder if any given design is the same size on all size shirts. I cannot imagine it varying. However, if a big shirt had a big copy of the design, you would prefer to buy one of those. If the design is the same size on all then it is irrelevant and you ought to buy one that you (or someone you wish to give it to) could wear it.

In any case, if you have a truly primo camera or have access to a friend who has one (and it is going to have to have RAW output available), you certainly could, with careful work, obtain an excellent and true-color electronic representation of the design

At this point, you have two (or possibly more) routes to take. You could merely depend on Really Good resampling algorithm and print it on decent acid-free glossy stock, frame it & there you go.

The alternative would be to import it into Photoshop or GIMP or whatever you like: in this case it has to be something that handles line drawings particularly well and represent the lines mathematically so that scaling is direct and exact. There is a format that works to this standard that Wikipedia prefers. The point being that when you make an enlargement, it ends up being about as perfect a copy as you can obtain. Then, once again you go through whatever printing process you happen to like or have available.

Then you'd have the art you could hand in the halls of a museum. Of course, you would have STOLEN the design, in effect, but at least you'd have it in the format you want and not as a T-shirt.

For what it is worth, that is why I always save off the "detail" copy of the graphics. I realize that they are generally too small to be used in the first method to speak of, but one might be able to deal with the second if the detail was not onerously complex.

In any case, I've got a 13x19 inch printer (and you should see how much the paper costs and how fast it slurps through ink!) Nonetheless, I have been able to take some better-than-average photographs - one of my favorites is the seed-empty head of a giant sunflower plant once all of the seeds have been picked out by the birds and the remain portions are a nearly continuous "pointy" field of structures that had previously held the seeds. One person might see it as an ugly dead plant, but I consider it to be not unlike some of the more modern, abstract and radially symmetrically pieces of art. Blown up to a fair portion of the big sheet of paper, (about5x enlargement from the original), it ends up being fairly impressive, particularly with dust in the air and a bright sun just off to the side behind it.

So... if you like a t-shirt design a lot, perhaps you can contact the artist and get a print made for some reasonable fee. Or else, you can go through the rather arcane process I've outlined above. If the artist found that enough people wanted prints made (and supposing that shirt.woot! doesn't hold some sort of exclusivity clause), then perhaps they could make a tidy profit performing this service - the topic seems to come up often enough here in the community, so there HAS to be some kind of outlet for that kind of energy.

There's a big problem with this post: The artist no longer has rights to the shirt; it's woot's exclusive copyright.

Second, I think it's best if someone just buys the shirt in their size, then flattens and wraps it around a piece of cardboard to frame it. If there's no desire to wear it ever, they could try one of these two framing how-tos to make it work. Something about T-shirt art needs to stay on a shirt. Googling "framing tshirts" would be a good place to start too.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | s.w: 16 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

toe2254

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toe2254

Congrats Loop! Hope this sells well for you too

Alohamora

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Alohamora

Wow, that's a gorgeous design.

wonderandawe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wonderandawe

Yay! First sucker and I wasn't even trying. I looked down at my clock and saw it was 12:02am and went to woot to buy my shirt. I guess either my computer is off or woot's servers.

mcfancher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcfancher

The dancers are pretty subtle. Had to take a second look to see that it was more than just rain.

mitchellp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp

Wow... Way to go Infinity Loop!!! I didn't know you were from P-Vegas?? Awesome.... A hometown winner!!!

dolphin76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dolphin76

Congrats on the print, infinityloop! Was rooting for this one all week, and just ordered one (I used my secret club code).

Can't wait to wear it!

w: 10 w.w: 15 s.w: 60 so.w: 3 k.w: 7

skirochester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester

congrats iLoop! you really dominated this week. and well deserved.

Andy47240

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240

This is a really nice concept and design. Great job.

cobolisdead

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead

Congrats on the print loopy! I can't wait to get mine in!

triplesalcho wrote:W.t.h. I thought Darth Dance Revolution would win for sure... I DIDNT EVEN SEE THIS SHIRT

It was in the fog and the hotness from noon Friday until Noon Thursday. It was obvious that it was going to print today.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

cobolisdead

Like the mod said, Loopy no longer owns the artwork. It's not just the rights to put it on a shirt that Woot gets when you win the derby, but the rights to the art itself. Now what should happen is shirt.woot needs to start offering poster prints of their shirt designs. That would be a great medium for this art.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

rglee129

quality posts: 29 Private Messages rglee129

Gorgeous, great idea, and I love the way you framed it with the shirt color. Congrats on a well-deserved first place!

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

Thanks to everyone who helped get this shirt to print! I find it hilarious that some people are seeing other images in the water. I swear I didn't try to do that, but now even I can see the slugs, lol. I also promise that my intentions for the couple were completely G rated, but hey, if it looks like they're enjoying something more than dancing that's okay. They're just passionate and living in the moment before they evaporate. ;)

rwrmkc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rwrmkc
silent7seven wrote:Does anyone else have a problem with the asphalt color turning a vibrant rust color in the armpits?

Pit stains are caused by the aluminum in deodorant reacting with sweat.
Various colors probably have to do with a combination of body chemistry, deodorant chemistry, and clothing material/dye/etc.
Longer time between wearing and washing will exacerbate the problem.
The best way to eliminate the problem is to eliminate one of the causes, and I don't know how to stop sweating.
Ever since I switched to an aluminum-free deodorant I haven't had a problem with stains.

davengvar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davengvar

I'm glad this shirt won the derby. It was one of my favorites. Congrats, Loop.

The world is a business, Mr. Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime.

shonnelizabeth

quality posts: 7 Private Messages shonnelizabeth

This shirt tells the world: “I’m only happy when it… what do you mean, been done?”

I heart Garbage.

donnaluvswoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donnaluvswoot

Sounds like a personal problem...hahaha! JK!

dirtdirt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt

Great work Looper! Congratulations!

donnaluvswoot

cobolisdead wrote:Like the mod said, Loopy no longer owns the artwork. It's not just the rights to put it on a shirt that Woot gets when you win the derby, but the rights to the art itself. Now what should happen is shirt.woot needs to start offering poster prints of their shirt designs. That would be a great medium for this art.

ooooooohhh! I agree! I would love this on a poster.

donnaluvswoot

dirtdirt wrote:Great work Looper! Congratulations!

Hey dirt dirt!! Where you been man? I bought one of your "Gluttony, thy name is Pete" shirts, and gave it as a gift. The lady I gave it to loves it. Cats are her thing...mine too actually. And Ferrets...Why doesn't anyone do a cute ferret shirt??

Were you in this derby? I really haven't had time to look until today.

Excellent design Loop! Absolutely beautiful. Have a great weekend all!! :O)

cjsheriff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjsheriff

My first inclination after purchasing this shirt was to commission a print of it, but after reading the other posts, that doesn't seem like a likely prospect.

Is the artist not allowed to sell prints or high-res digital versions of the design since the shirt has come on woot? That is such a shame if so. A shirt on cardboard is not the same as a delicate piece of art gracing a room. Some of us aren't in college any longer.

I love the ethereal beauty of nature depicted in the design.

HunniD3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HunniD3

Very creative, love it

cobolisdead

cjsheriff wrote:My first inclination after purchasing this shirt was to commission a print of it, but after reading the other posts, that doesn't seem like a likely prospect.

Is the artist not allowed to sell prints or high-res digital versions of the design since the shirt has come on woot? That is such a shame if so. A shirt on cardboard is not the same as a delicate piece of art gracing a room. Some of us aren't in college any longer.

I love the ethereal beauty of nature depicted in the design.

Yeah, this piece of art is bound to be only on a shirt until woot either prints it as a poster/lithograph/etc or some ebay guy rips it off and trys to sell it on a bottlecap. Yeah, I am not even kidding on that. Loopy's Lust is like a flame shirt that printed here last year was ripped off and put on a bootlecap necklace or Earrings that was being sold in a guys Ebay store. I don't think woot ever made him take it down though.

fizzbang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fizzbang
cedaroo wrote:Ha. As I was in the process of buying a beautiful "raindrop dancers" shirt for my daughter, my wife walked in and said "it looks like they're copulating".

Your wife uses the word "copulating?" Wow. My wife would have said...well, um, never mind.

frantix

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frantix

I really like this one, great design! Not really seen anything that has caught my eye on here in a long time. Hope you sellout!!

theinfinityloop

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

Woot, I love The Rime of the Ancient Mariner reference in the condition description.

drummerkyo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drummerkyo

QUICK! Use Thunder, Pikachu! 100% for 5 turns ftwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

drummerkyo wrote:QUICK! Use Thunder, Pikachu! 100% for 5 turns ftwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

eHalcyon wrote:
That's a quality post in my book.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
drummerkyo wrote:QUICK! Use Thunder, Pikachu! 100% for 5 turns ftwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

That's a quality post in my book.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

mtriana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtriana

Beautiful design! It's a shame that its confined to a shirt... I prefer the funnier designs, but I found this one to be so beautiful that I had to say I'd rather see it in a painting in my house than on a shirt.

Good job, mate!

StarrsMom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages StarrsMom

Really like the design. In 4 3, 1 4 me & 1 4 each of my sisters in Pittsburgh. Can't wait to get them!

jenastaire

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jenastaire

I can't stop looking at this design. I don't know how many times I've been back this morning -- even after making my purchase. Beautiful!

Woot, count me in as a prospective re-buyer, should you offer a print!

As for the copulation theory, google-image "ballroom dance," and you'll see that there is not necessarily anything scandalous going on here. Don't be afraid to have your daughter wear this shirt!

FAWSTAR

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FAWSTAR
prateeko wrote:Not sure if people know this, but rain dances go back before Native American's all the way back to Ancient Egypt. Bu they're not entirely gone yet. In fact, Romania and Slavic places still have them (referred to as Perperuna in Slavic places). So before you go writing this shirt off, keep in mind that it's still relevant.

and before you go writing it up as a nod toward beautiful slavic rain dances keep in mind the artist probably wasn't at all even thinking about that or care....

FAWSTAR

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FAWSTAR
fizzbang wrote:Your wife uses the word "copulating?" Wow. My wife would have said...well, um, never mind.

word...

nephthys8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nephthys8

I bought one and it is my second woot. Really nice design!

13 tees from shirt.woot!