nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
joyner wrote:Daughter has dumped a drink into her laptop. I've taken the battery or and open the case and dried it with a hair dryer.I put it in a plastic bag and dried it some more. It has been suggested that I close p the notebook, leave it in the plastic bag and put a lot of rice in the bag and close it up. Any thoughts? Anything else I should try? I think it's fried because daughter cut it on after it got wet and then it cut itself off.



Yeah, definitely never turn electronics on after they're wet. If you leave them off odds are decent that you can salvage them but once you turn them on you short circuit everything. Dry it out fully (the rice suggestion was a good one, its extremely absorbent) and then have a tech-savvy friend take a look.

joyner


quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
nbouscal wrote:Yeah, definitely never turn electronics on after they're wet. If you leave them off odds are decent that you can salvage them but once you turn them on you short circuit everything. Dry it out fully (the rice suggestion was a good one, its extremely absorbent) and then have a tech-savvy friend take a look.



Thanks everybody! I dried it some more in the plastic bag with back off and everything open that I could get to. I didn't try the rice. I was scared of the dust. It came back on.

EDIT: I had three screws left over!

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
joyner wrote:Thanks everybody! I dried it some more in the plastic bag with back off and everything open that I could get to. I didn't try the rice. I was scared of the dust. It came back on.

EDIT: I had three screws left over!



I usually give it overnight in the rice, but I'm glad it's working. Popping out the battery was very smart! I wouldn't expect to last as long as normal. The spills do tend to really take their toll.

When returning to the states from the Mediterranean, never put your duty free olive oil in your laptop bag!!!!! I think we spent weeks trying to get that stuff out of the laptop, I don't remember if it ever did work again.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

Beware the V'owls screech!

joyner


quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
KtCallista wrote:I usually give it overnight in the rice, but I'm glad it's working. Popping out the battery was very smart! I wouldn't expect to last as long as normal. The spills do tend to really take their toll.

When returning to the states from the Mediterranean, never put your duty free olive oil in your laptop bag!!!!! I think we spent weeks trying to get that stuff out of the laptop, I don't remember if it ever did work again.



I was scared of the dust from the rice. But it couldn't be must dirtier than it already is! I didn't know anybody that had used the rice on a notebook. Knew a guy that used it on a wet blackberry. Might try and get it back from daughter and put it in rice overnight.

KtCallista


quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
joyner wrote:I was scared of the dust from the rice. But it couldn't be must dirtier than it already is! I didn't know anybody that had used the rice on a notebook. Knew a guy that used it on a wet blackberry. Might try and get it back from daughter and put it in rice overnight.



If it's running it's probably dry. Any damage that the beverage is going to do is probably done by now.

___________________________________________________________________
Paper Napkins on the Edge of Insanity

Beware the V'owls screech!

joyner


quality posts: 1 Private Messages joyner
KtCallista wrote:If it's running it's probably dry. Any damage that the beverage is going to do is probably done by now.



Daughter wouldn't talk about what happened until now. She had lemonade but had finished it. All that was left in the glass was ice which had melted. She said a lot of the liquid went on her bed. I couldn't feel any liquid in the notebook when I took the back off. We have reinstated the no food or drink in your bedroom rule. I suppose that means me too?

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
KtCallista wrote:I gotta agree to both of those, but I was never an MJ fan.



Me neither, but I always felt sorry for him. He had a lousy father, no childhood. If it hadn't been for the huge amounts of money he had, he might have ended up a lot better off.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
PemberDucky wrote:I understand the burnout. I think I'm getting there, too.

But I am not surprised by the media madness. He was an influential figure.

I'm hard-pressed to think of many people--let alone entertainers--whose death will garner such a huge reaction.



Think back - Elvis, John Lennon. Elvis still. Oops, never mind. Forgot you weren't around.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

kdccrosby


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

Evening all - just got home. gotta go catch up on what happened in EBW today.

Oh - I went to work this morning with my shirt on inside-out. nice.

kdccrosby


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
KtCallista wrote:I'm not sure what our outside temp is yet, but I'm finally out from under the blanket. Might turn on the AC in an hour or so.





My AC won't be cut off until October or so...

kdccrosby


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
Iceback wrote:I feel more sorrow for Gerold



me TOO!!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
pooflady wrote:Think back - Elvis, John Lennon. Elvis still. Oops, never mind. Forgot you weren't around.



i thought ducky was talking about people alive today, based on her use of future tense.

kdccrosby


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
pooflady wrote:Me neither, but I always felt sorry for him. He had a lousy father, no childhood. If it hadn't been for the huge amounts of money he had, he might have ended up a lot better off.



I think his prescription pill problem started a lot sooner than people realized too - and an addict of any kind can definitely behave in weird ways.

I have a cousin with valid medical problems, but has become a prescription pill addict and has been on them for at least 10 years. He definitely has lost touch with reality and has a skewed view of life. Can't imagine how he would be if he had a bunch of money too!!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
kdccrosby wrote:I think his prescription pill problem started a lot sooner than people realized too



when do most people think his problem started and when do you think his problem started?

kdccrosby


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
no1 wrote:when do most people think his problem started and when do you think his problem started?



I think it started back after the pepsi commercial when he got hurt and then when he fell off the stage after that.

It seems like most people I know or have talked to think he started getting weird and then developed a problem later, after his success had waned.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
no1 wrote:i thought ducky was talking about people alive today, based on her use of future tense.



She was. I chose to answer differently.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
pooflady wrote:She was. I chose to answer differently.



So...you ignored the grammar?

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Josephus wrote:So...you ignored the grammar?



Chose to, yes; not didn't understand.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Howdy all. Had a nice lunch with son and then a nice nap.

Cleaned up my genealogy database so it will sort better in Excel.

Missed America's Got Talent so I guess I watch it tomorrow.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

YAY! I got another chocolate coupon!



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
DA59 wrote:YAY! I got another chocolate coupon!



Me, too. Or at least they said they're sending me one. This is my third.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
kdccrosby wrote:Evening all - just got home. gotta go catch up on what happened in EBW today.

Oh - I went to work this morning with my shirt on inside-out. nice.



Did someone have to tell you or did you figure it out?



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

kdccrosby


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
pooflady wrote:Did someone have to tell you or did you figure it out?



the girl sitting next to me told me right when I walked in. I was just setting my stuff down, so at least it wasn't for long.

not the first time I have done that, probably won't be the last

Iceback


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Iceback
kdccrosby wrote:the girl sitting next to me told me right when I walked in. I was just setting my stuff down, so at least it wasn't for long.

not the first time I have done that, probably won't be the last



at least you didn't go in with it right side out then later have it inside out...I mean if I had a dime everytime THAT happened to me...

In the end only kindness matters

kdccrosby


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
Iceback wrote:at least you didn't go in with it right side out then later have it inside out...I mean if I had a dime everytime THAT happened to me...



LOL! That would be an ENTIRELY different scenario indeed!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kdccrosby wrote:the girl sitting next to me told me right when I walked in. I was just setting my stuff down, so at least it wasn't for long.

not the first time I have done that, probably won't be the last

I think the worst I did was wear 2 different shoes. I mean they didn't even look close to alike. I was walking down the hall towards my building and noticed someone stair at my feet. I looked down, turned around, and went right back home.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
DA59 wrote:I think the worst I did was wear 2 different shoes. I mean they didn't even look close to alike. I was walking down the hall towards my building and noticed someone stair at my feet. I looked down, turned around, and went right back home.



It would have been interesting to see if you could have pulled it off, "I did it on purpose."



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
pooflady wrote:It would have been interesting to see if you could have pulled it off, "I did it on purpose."



Trendsetter!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:It would have been interesting to see if you could have pulled it off, "I did it on purpose."

Yeah... I'm not secure enough to do that. Especially back then.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Rapca! Son just called. Granddaughter and bf are leaving for CA tomorrow. (They got tickets because bf's sister was getting married, but she canceled the wedding. So since there's relatives to stay with and they can't get their money back....) Anyway, they're flying out of Columbus (about two hours away). d-i-l was supposed to drive them. D-i-l seems to be coming down with what the other granddaughters had over the weekend. Can I take them? Of course. Pick them up at 7:15. WHAT???? Woe is I.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Rapca! Son just called. Granddaughter and bf are leaving for CA tomorrow. (They got tickets because bf's sister was getting married, but she canceled the wedding. So since there's relatives to stay with and they can't get their money back....) Anyway, they're flying out of Columbus (about two hours away). d-i-l was supposed to drive them. D-i-l seems to be coming down with what the other granddaughters had over the weekend. Can I take them? Of course. Pick them up at 7:15. WHAT???? Woe is I.

Ha-ha. Poof has to get up early!



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
DA59 wrote:Ha-ha. Poof has to get up early!



//smack//
//smack//
//smack//



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

kdccrosby


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
pooflady wrote:Rapca! Son just called. Granddaughter and bf are leaving for CA tomorrow. (They got tickets because bf's sister was getting married, but she canceled the wedding. So since there's relatives to stay with and they can't get their money back....) Anyway, they're flying out of Columbus (about two hours away). d-i-l was supposed to drive them. D-i-l seems to be coming down with what the other granddaughters had over the weekend. Can I take them? Of course. Pick them up at 7:15. WHAT???? Woe is I.



//snicker// that's early!

cruzer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
pooflady wrote://smack//
//smack//
//smack//



heh...poof smacked daj

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Not only that, it's been years since I've driven to the Columbus airport. I'm sure the kids can get me there, but I'll probably get lost coming home.

But, hey, it'll be a nice day for a four hour drive, right? If I don't get lost. Then it might be a five hour drive.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Rapca! Son just called. Granddaughter and bf are leaving for CA tomorrow. (They got tickets because bf's sister was getting married, but she canceled the wedding. So since there's relatives to stay with and they can't get their money back....) Anyway, they're flying out of Columbus (about two hours away). d-i-l was supposed to drive them. D-i-l seems to be coming down with what the other granddaughters had over the weekend. Can I take them? Of course. Pick them up at 7:15. WHAT???? Woe is I.



What is a 4 hour drive early in the morning?
Fun!

Better you than me.


WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote://smack//
//smack//
//smack//





Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cruzer wrote:heh...poof smacked daj

LURKER!



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pooflady wrote:Not only that, it's been years since I've driven to the Columbus airport. I'm sure the kids can get me there, but I'll probably get lost coming home.

But, hey, it'll be a nice day for a four hour drive, right? If I don't get lost. Then it might be a five hour drive.

I'll work on feeling sorry for you as soon as I stop laughing.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

nbouscal


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbouscal
DA59 wrote:LURKER!



Yes? :P