A policeman knew my name
He said "You can go sleep at home tonight
If you can get up and walk away"

I staggered back to the underground
And the breeze blew back my hair
I remember throwin' punches around
And preachin' from my chair

chorus:
Well, who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
I really wanna know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
Tell me, who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
'Cause I really wanna know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)

Up next... Derby #100: Mystery

We're excited and frankly a little amazed that we've lasted 100 Derbies without being killed by rejection-crazed designers, so we're doing something a little more specialer this time...

All entries to this Derby will be posted anonymously, with the designer's name hidden until after voting ends. This includes any comments the designer posts in the entry's discussion thread. That means, theoretically, that voters will judge each design on merit and not on reputation. Now, we can't be too heavy-handed about it: the main Derby discussion will not be at all anonymized, and we won't reject anyone for outing themselves or anyone else. But we hope you'll get into the spirit of the thing; what fun is Hide and Seek if you're peeking?

Also, keep in mind: you're not anonymous to us. And when voting closes on Thursday, you won't be anonymous at all.

In keeping with that idea, this week's theme is Mystery. Take it however you will: in the detective-story sense, in the religious-secrets sense, in the ineffable-elusive-transcendent-truths-about-life sense. Just keep everything about this Derby mysterious and we'll all have a better time.

No text.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

This is exciting! Time to break out my best imitation of some other designer hoping to steal some "designer"-votes

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
SkekTek wrote:This is exciting! Time to break out my best imitation of some other designer hoping to steal some "designer"-votes

It would be even better if they didn't show how many votes each entry had.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:It would be even better if they didn't show how many votes each entry had.

I don't know if they can tweak their code that far.

eHalcyon

quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SkekTek wrote:I don't know if they can tweak their code that far.

I'm sure they could. Hiding a designer's name only on their own entries seems more difficult to me than would be extending the fog.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

PaperStreetSoapCo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PaperStreetSoapCo

Here's a design I'd like comments for. It's called "In search of Jack the Pitter"

First rule of Paper Street Soap Company- Don't ask where the soap is coming from.

eHalcyon

Maybe we should all enter pucker designs...

SBCJester21

quality posts: 9 Private Messages SBCJester21
SkekTek wrote:This is exciting! Time to break out my best imitation of some other designer hoping to steal some "designer"-votes

how do you post annoymously? where do you post? I've never done a Derby. I'm not particularlly good at Desktop publishing or art for that matter, so it probably doesn't even matter, but I'm jest wondering.

btw... since derby's get made into shirts which are sold on shirt.w00t... Wouldn't the Derby be better served being posted on the main w0w page?

eHalcyon

SBCJester21 wrote:how do you post annoymously? where do you post? I've never done a Derby. I'm not particularlly good at Desktop publishing or art for that matter, so it probably doesn't even matter, but I'm jest wondering.

btw... since derby's get made into shirts which are sold on shirt.w00t... Wouldn't the Derby be better served being posted on the main w0w page?

Woot derbies aren't normally anonymous. It's just to make the 100th derby a bit more "special". Submissions are the same as always - submit at this page.

The official post is indeed in the shirt.woot forums. The Cyberpub is just a place for off-topic chatter, mostly from shirt.woot peoples. Unfortunately, its usage has seriously declined since last year.

Schrobblehead

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
eHalcyon wrote:its usage has seriously declined since last year.

It's all your fault. It never recovered after the pemmican incident.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Didn't everyone jump ship and start forums on other sites?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:It's all your fault. It never recovered after the pemmican incident.

Actually, it was mostly Spryte going to Superspryteachu! I choose you!. She's got a major presence over in the derby threads, so when she stopped making the CyberPubs, viewership dropped.

But yes, the pemmican incident was horrifying.

SkekTek

SBCJester21 wrote:how do you post annoymously? where do you post? I've never done a Derby. I'm not particularlly good at Desktop publishing or art for that matter, so it probably doesn't even matter, but I'm jest wondering.

You can kinda post anonymously if you open another woot account, with a random name from say a new gmail or yahoo account e-mail, and post stuff from that. Of course, you have to have a decent (or lousy ) reputation on one username to successfully use another as a stealth account...

SkekTek

eHalcyon wrote:Maybe we should all enter pucker designs...

Someone ought to tell Cho to do a pucker design with Kenney just to see what would result.

Schrobblehead

dontwantaname wrote:Didn't everyone jump ship and start forums on other sites?

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

PaperStreetSoapCo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PaperStreetSoapCo

Comments please. Or I'll send my boys to collect items needed to make soap...

First rule of Paper Street Soap Company- Don't ask where the soap is coming from.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

pretty suspicious. I know who this looks like, I think, but I ain't sayin'.

SkekTek

I assume this thread will stay pretty dead this week since people aren't going to be pimping their designs...

eHalcyon

SkekTek wrote:I assume this thread will stay pretty dead this week since people aren't going to be pimping their designs...

It's pretty dead all the time.

We need to brainstorm some ways to get this place hoppin' again.

Idea #1: Dr. Joe buys free beer for new pubbers. He's a Doctor so he should be able to afford it!

Idea #2: Get a code monkey to infiltrate Woot HQ and redirect various pages here.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
eHalcyon wrote:It's pretty dead all the time.

We need to brainstorm some ways to get this place hoppin' again.

Idea #1: Dr. Joe buys free beer for new pubbers. He's a Doctor so he should be able to afford it!

Idea #2: Get a code monkey to infiltrate Woot HQ and redirect various pages here.

idea #3: get a troop of code monkeys to return woot to ver. 2.0

idea #4: more posts by successful (printed) derby participants.

idea #5: more fine meats and cheeses

no1

eHalcyon wrote:It's pretty dead all the time.

in the past, the cyberpub wasn't dead.

then spryte went to japon and halc went back to school.

now pub dead.

...coinkydink? or mystery...?

SkekTek

no1 wrote:in the past, the cyberpub wasn't dead.

then spryte went to japon and halc went back to school.

now pub dead.

...coinkydink? or mystery...?

There is some nefariousness at work here. Why is everyone being deported? And why are the top vote getters strangely obvious. C'mon, the green mask uses the exact same swirly patterns as music is life...

Not that I'm bitter... I need to get my genius idea in the contest.

AttilaTheMom

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

hey there pubbers. I have a very important job interview in california on monday (they are flying me out there and giving me the grand tour) and I would really appreciate all the good vibes and positive thoughts you guys and gals can send my way. I need a job.

Thanks!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

SkekTek

AttilaTheMom wrote:hey there pubbers. I have a very important job interview in california on monday (they are flying me out there and giving me the grand tour) and I would really appreciate all the good vibes and positive thoughts you guys and gals can send my way. I need a job.

Thanks!

Good vibes going your way! Wow them, and enjoy the weather while you're there...

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
SkekTek wrote:C'mon, the green mask uses the exact same swirly patterns as music is life...

But that's not who you think it is. It's someone imitating them. And this imitator has several designs imitating the styles of others...and a few of them are doing really well. It's rather annoying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

dcshcmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcshcmo

The name hiding would be better if it didn't show their name when you quote one of their posts.

Schrobblehead

no1 wrote:idea #3: get a troop of code monkeys to return woot to ver. 2.0

idea #4: more posts by successful (printed) derby participants.

idea #5: more fine meats and cheeses

idea #6: get the people who posted here frequently interested in the derby again, since new ones aren't going to show up

idea #7:

idea #8: Profits!

Josephus

Schrobblehead wrote:idea #6: get the people who posted here frequently interested in the derby again, since new ones aren't going to show up

idea #7:

idea #8: Profits!

up to these, most of the ideas either cost ME money, or cost woot money. I vote for woot.

and without eHal and SkunkTek, there ain't enough population to make it work consistently.
SkekTek, I mean.

SkekTek

Josephus wrote:up to these, most of the ideas either cost ME money, or cost woot money. I vote for woot.

and without eHal and SkunkTek, there ain't enough population to make it work consistently.
SkekTek, I mean.

SkunkTek. I like that. Kinda describes how my design is doing this week.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

Okay - I have been following the derbies for a few weeks now and really thinking about my votes (not that they seem to matter as my votes usually aren't for the winners)

I usually vote for two specific kinds of shirts a) shirts I would definitely wear and b) shirts that I think are really well done, follow the theme, look good and that I think other regular shirt wooters would wear. sometimes these overlap, sometimes they don't

I have a few questions for y'all if you feel like reading all of my ramblings..

Why do y'all hate the swirly type designs like music is life and the mask? at first glance, I kind of liked the mask - but the placement is too weird. It also is too similar to the music shirt and therefore didn't get my vote. wasn't original enough. I didn't buy music is life because I just don't see me wearing a shirt with headphones.

Who and how many folks vote in the derbies? I don't know the user names, but get the impressions from the posts I have read that there are a few folks who regularly end up in the top three and there are always people talking about how bad their designs are. who is voting for them? I don't like the shirts, but my tastes are a little different than the average shirt wooter I think.

What's the deal with the fog? I get the concept, but it is hard to resist the urge to only vote for those in the fog or close to it so that a shirt you like will win over the others. Seems like with the fog only being 4 shirts a lot of votes get funneled to those, ignoring a lot of others that are great designs. I really noticed this in the Sun derby. Wouldn't it be better if the fog had more entries - like 10?

I posted this in here since not as many people from derbies are posting in here; there are a few folks I like that I know post in here, and I didn't want to get attacked or called stupid by the derby folks. I'm just really really curious...

I like voting in the derbies and having a very slight chance of getting a shirt I like printed. I'll never be a designer, just a consumer.

SkekTek

Ah, good commments. Truth is, there's been a long-running debate regarding how many fogged entries should be there. Four gives a little mystery, yet if you're a fan of one of them, you probably won't campaign as hard as when it's in 5th. But Woot probably won't change it since 4 fogged entries helps people decide whether to stay up til midnight for a shirt. More than that and although the outcome would be more fair (less voting), people would be disappointed more who stayed up, and therefore more crabbing. Now, there's a 75% chance that people who want a shirt in the fog get their wish.

Same thing for the hotness. Most designs in the hotness are at the top, so they get twice the push. I personally think there should be something like on www.shirtderbystats.com- hotness of things NOT in the fog. Obviously if you're in the fog, you're getting votes. But it's the hotness outside the fog where the real drama is, especially in the late days.

Regarding swirly designs- in the past, there have been numerous accusations that swirly designs (and to a lesser extent splatter designs) are the result of using free vector art packs, which isn't really artistic more than being able to do a good layout. I'm not against it, but I think this mystery derby has allowed people to mimick styles (not a necessarily bad thing since people who normally can't get printed based on their name are gonna get up there in votes due to the fanboy vote). And some of the mimics are too close to already entered designs, and should be rejected based on those grounds.

EDIT: I think there are more women voting than men, and more teens/twentysomethings than older. Therefore the ones that appeal to them tend to win (you don't see a lot of manly t-shirt designs winning).

I started designing for the derbies because I liked it, and I thought when it started I had a fighting chance. Now that the derby is one of the big contests, a lot of the DBH and Threadless bigguns have migrated over, and the talent has gone way up. Better quality shirts, but less cartoony and more anime-ish. But I still enjoy designing, and if I get >50 votes, I consider it a success.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

Thanks Skek! I definitely think the hotness should be for non-fog shirts.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my extremely long post and helping to clarify a few things for me!

I was caught in the fog trap and the hotness trap in the beginning. Now I look at the whole list of designs and put a lot more thought into who/what I vote for. Hopefully a shirt I like will win sometimes!

I like your designs - so I'm hoping one of yours will win too.

Schrobblehead

poops are sometimes swirly. i think they must hate poop.

SkekTek

Schrobblehead wrote:poops are sometimes swirly. i think they must hate poop.

Has the three shells design been rejected yet? That one was doing well and is about poop...

SkekTek

kdccrosby wrote:Thanks Skek! I definitely think the hotness should be for non-fog shirts.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my extremely long post and helping to clarify a few things for me!

I was caught in the fog trap and the hotness trap in the beginning. Now I look at the whole list of designs and put a lot more thought into who/what I vote for. Hopefully a shirt I like will win sometimes!

I like your designs - so I'm hoping one of yours will win too.

Thanks for the props on my designs. They make me happy, and I guess that is what matters most. Sometimes I design something that gets 30 votes, but makes me laugh, and that's enough.

I really gotta get my spreadshirt updated. The stuff on it is really poor quality compared to what I've been doing the last 30 or so derbies...

Josephus

SkekTek wrote:SkunkTek. I like that. Kinda describes how my design is doing this week.

better'n me.

Josephus

OK, free beers for everyone!
Son is now eligible to test for his black belt!

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
Josephus wrote:OK, free beers for everyone!
Son is now eligible to test for his black belt!

Congratulations to son!

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

no1

SkekTek wrote:Thanks for the props on my designs. They make me happy, and I guess that is what matters most. Sometimes I design something that gets 30 votes, but makes me laugh, and that's enough.

the only purpose i have left is someday to CRUSH the ebw'ers who have printed. meaning prof. tek and dr. j.

...someday...! (shakes fist)

Josephus

no1 wrote:the only purpose i have left is someday to CRUSH the ebw'ers who have printed. meaning prof. tek and dr. j.

...someday...! (shakes fist)

eHAL too. Though he's mostly sucking up to the so-called real designers now.