no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:eHAL too. Though he's mostly sucking up to the so-called real designers now.



ehal is like the letter "y". sometimes like a vowel.





...if that makes sense, i suggest you seek professional help.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:ehal is like the letter "y". sometimes like a vowel.





...if that makes sense, i suggest you seek professional help.



He's more like a keyboard that used to use lowercase and uppercase letters, but now is on CAPSLOCK all the time.

hmm?

Schrobblehead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Schrobblehead
Josephus wrote:He's more like a keyboard that used to use lowercase and uppercase letters, but now is on CAPSLOCK all the time.

hmm?



I think he's more like the bottom half of a hamburger bun.

I'm a Christmas Unicorn! In a uniform made of gold, with a billy-goat beard, and a sorcerer's shield, and mistletoe on my nose!

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
no1 wrote:the only purpose i have left is someday to CRUSH the ebw'ers who have printed. meaning prof. tek and dr. j.

...someday...! (shakes fist)



I'd be careful, Dr. J's son's going for black belt. Me, I just barely got to green...

Yeah, I got printed, like 80 derbies ago Don't see me in the Do-overs ever, do you?

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

my major purpose seems to be tilting at Windmills a la Don Quixote. there's apparently no hope to shame Woot into being at all fair about how they run the derby- they're advertising one of the entries on all the woot pages again.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Josephus wrote:my major purpose seems to be tilting at Windmills a la Don Quixote. there's apparently no hope to shame Woot into being at all fair about how they run the derby- they're advertising one of the entries on all the woot pages again.



Hmm... well, if it doesn't get printed, I assume it's a slam dunk for HM. I'm thinking of resubbing mine, slightly tweaked, hoping to get votes...

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
SkekTek wrote:Hmm... well, if it doesn't get printed, I assume it's a slam dunk for HM. I'm thinking of resubbing mine, slightly tweaked, hoping to get votes...



my understanding is that the advertising people have been choosing these designs, not the shirt.woot staff. so, theoretically, the HM may be separate and unrelated to the advert.

It just simply blows. Somebody needs to knock their heads around, and explain to them that a competition has to be fair, in every way fair that they can make it. Clearly it isn't fair to advertise a single design, whether that affects the outcome in a visible way or not. Clearly it isn't fair to operate the competition in such a way that you give every advantage to the guy in the lead, making it harder for the guy trying to catch up, harder at every step.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
AttilaTheMom wrote:hey there pubbers. I have a very important job interview in california on monday (they are flying me out there and giving me the grand tour) and I would really appreciate all the good vibes and positive thoughts you guys and gals can send my way. I need a job.

Thanks!



Good luck, ATM!

kdccrosby wrote:Okay - I have been following the derbies for a few weeks now and really thinking about my votes (not that they seem to matter as my votes usually aren't for the winners)

I usually vote for two specific kinds of shirts a) shirts I would definitely wear and b) shirts that I think are really well done, follow the theme, look good and that I think other regular shirt wooters would wear. sometimes these overlap, sometimes they don't

I have a few questions for y'all if you feel like reading all of my ramblings..

Why do y'all hate the swirly type designs like music is life and the mask? at first glance, I kind of liked the mask - but the placement is too weird. It also is too similar to the music shirt and therefore didn't get my vote. wasn't original enough. I didn't buy music is life because I just don't see me wearing a shirt with headphones.

Who and how many folks vote in the derbies? I don't know the user names, but get the impressions from the posts I have read that there are a few folks who regularly end up in the top three and there are always people talking about how bad their designs are. who is voting for them? I don't like the shirts, but my tastes are a little different than the average shirt wooter I think.

What's the deal with the fog? I get the concept, but it is hard to resist the urge to only vote for those in the fog or close to it so that a shirt you like will win over the others. Seems like with the fog only being 4 shirts a lot of votes get funneled to those, ignoring a lot of others that are great designs. I really noticed this in the Sun derby. Wouldn't it be better if the fog had more entries - like 10?

I posted this in here since not as many people from derbies are posting in here; there are a few folks I like that I know post in here, and I didn't want to get attacked or called stupid by the derby folks. I'm just really really curious...

I like voting in the derbies and having a very slight chance of getting a shirt I like printed. I'll never be a designer, just a consumer.



1. Not everyone hates "swirly" designs. I don't have anything against them in particular, though I'm not crazy about them either. The main complaint most people have is probably that they all look so similar to each other. The other thing is that most "swirly" designs are just that and nothing much more - there's no real substance or concept.

2. I've no idea how many people vote, but the majority are passers-by who don't read the comments and don't know about all the drama. The vocal derby regulars are in the minority, by far.

3. The fog was introduced because people were attempting to game the system by making designs tie. In such an event, both shirts are offered together for the price of one. The fog was intended to prevent that from happening. Yes, the fog would be better if it was larger. That is just one of many ideas that have been put forth by derby regulars on how to improve the system. Woot hasn't acted on those ideas.


Josephus wrote:eHAL too. Though he's mostly sucking up to the so-called real designers now.



Say whaaat?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Chunder


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chunder
eHalcyon wrote:Say whaaat?



I think he meant sucking up to "so called t-shirt critics", because the one most people are concerned about you sucking up to is hardly a designer.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Chunder wrote:I think he meant sucking up to "so called t-shirt critics", because the one most people are concerned about you sucking up to is hardly a designer.



I'm not sucking up to anyone. I believe you're referring to Adder. If you actually follow the derby comments, you'll see that I disagree and argue with him a LOT. It doesn't mean I can't respect the guy.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eHalcyon wrote:I'm not sucking up to anyone. I believe you're referring to Adder. If you actually follow the derby comments, you'll see that I disagree and argue with him a LOT. It doesn't mean I can't respect the guy.



I'll be, an actual post!

I know you aren't really sucking up, but you don't really post anywhere except in the shirt threads now (which is what I was trying to express). and if Adder continues as he has recently to be reasonable, and not so rude, then I can like Adder a lot. My only disagreement with him has been the way he treated me and other people. He's not doing that now.

Although I have always thought that he was crazy about the Baltimore kids having 500 votes that they vote for their own shirts to get them into the hotness and fog, I'm swayed by the way Baltimore Boy's shirt has fogged. It just isn't exceptional at all.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
eHalcyon wrote:I'm not sucking up to anyone. I believe you're referring to Adder. If you actually follow the derby comments, you'll see that I disagree and argue with him a LOT. It doesn't mean I can't respect the guy.



Adder... there's a character.

I do lament the "changing of the derby guard" though. It used to be 2-3 designers would win, and random folks would get 2nd and 3rd. Now, it's the same 4-5 artists getting 1-3..

I miss patchitect and hammmy.
I miss V8r. Narwhal!
I miss Jimiyo. Wait, he's scoring dailies now and runs Teefury. Nevermind. However, he still was a blast when he was posting.

chade2001


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
SkekTek wrote:

I do lament the "changing of the derby guard" though. It used to be 2-3 designers would win, and random folks would get 2nd and 3rd. Now, it's the same 4-5 artists getting 1-3..



Yep. I don't have anything against the current top artist. They make good designs, but there are others also that make good designs. Part of the reason the top artist gets to be printed is that they have a fan base.

gone!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Josephus wrote:I'll be, an actual post!

I know you aren't really sucking up, but you don't really post anywhere except in the shirt threads now (which is what I was trying to express). and if Adder continues as he has recently to be reasonable, and not so rude, then I can like Adder a lot. My only disagreement with him has been the way he treated me and other people. He's not doing that now.

Although I have always thought that he was crazy about the Baltimore kids having 500 votes that they vote for their own shirts to get them into the hotness and fog, I'm swayed by the way Baltimore Boy's shirt has fogged. It just isn't exceptional at all.



Ah, ok.

I'd post here more if other people post here more.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
eHalcyon wrote:Ah, ok.

I'd post here more if other people post here more.



I spent the last 2 days reinstalling windows xp home edition on our laptop. 4 times I reinstalled it before it finally stuck. yu-uck.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
Josephus wrote:I spent the last 2 days reinstalling windows xp home edition on our laptop. 4 times I reinstalled it before it finally stuck. yu-uck.



I'm still dealing with a wireless dilemma on an XP Professional system, and one computer that is hard-wired up but for some reason I can't figure out is able to connect out but other network computers cannot connect IN...

I post here all the time, but most of the non-EBWer derbiers don't bother anymore.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

eHalcyon wrote:Ah, ok.

I'd post here more if other people post here more.



Not talking to us non derby people???????

I'll stop wearing your shirt in protest! Son had it on yesterday.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
dontwantaname wrote:Not talking to us non derby people???????

I'll stop wearing your shirt in protest! Son had it on yesterday.



I talk to you guys! I just don't hang out in PWA because it's scary in there. There are spiders.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

eHalcyon wrote:I talk to you guys! I just don't hang out in PWA because it's scary in there. There are spiders.



piff, no spiders.

Lions and tigers and bears. Not spiders!

Oh and dancing turtles!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:piff, no spiders.

Lions and tigers and bears. Not spiders!

Oh and dancing turtles!



Damn, I missed the dancing turtles.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Damn, I missed the dancing turtles.




You didn't buy the shirt????
Bad Poof!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
dontwantaname wrote:You didn't buy the shirt????
Bad Poof!



HEY! He said PWA. There's no shirts on PWA.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
pooflady wrote:HEY! He said PWA. There's no shirts on PWA.



o_o

Are there pants? Well, I know there are no pants on Friday, but what about the rest of the week?

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

eHalcyon wrote:o_o

Are there pants? Well, I know there are no pants on Friday, but what about the rest of the week?



Only every other day.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
SkekTek wrote: I'm still dealing with a wireless dilemma on an XP Professional system, and one computer that is hard-wired up but for some reason I can't figure out is able to connect out but other network computers cannot connect IN...



firewall?

SkekTek wrote:I post here all the time, but most of the non-EBWer derbiers don't bother anymore.



not enuf drama.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
no1 wrote:not enuf drama.



No, it isn't the firewall.. something about XP professional not liking XP Home too much I suspect. Dunno why. Simple file sharing is off, Netbios is enabled on all machines, but no dice. No other computer can access this one for some reason.

On the t-shirt design side, I'm going to submit my Mondrian Tetris design to Threadless. I'll link it when it's up...

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
SkekTek wrote:No, it isn't the firewall.. something about XP professional not liking XP Home too much I suspect. Dunno why. Simple file sharing is off, Netbios is enabled on all machines, but no dice. No other computer can access this one for some reason.



which one is xp home and which one is xp pro?

i found this: "XP Pro lets users limit the number of connections to shared folders and control user access by account. XP Home users access shared folders through the Guest account, which is disabled by default in XP Pro." mabe relevant?

also xp home doesn't support domains, but i'd guess you don't have domains there...?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SkekTek wrote:On the t-shirt design side, I'm going to submit my Mondrian Tetris design to Threadless. I'll link it when it's up...



Cool beans. I've got an idea for their "pre-loved" theme; I wasn't going to do it but looking at the first few entries that got put up for it, I think I will. Nothing there seems particularly awesome, though it's early yet.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
eHalcyon wrote:Cool beans. I've got an idea for their "pre-loved" theme; I wasn't going to do it but looking at the first few entries that got put up for it, I think I will. Nothing there seems particularly awesome, though it's early yet.



The good news is nothing there is awesome. Which means good designs have a shot. However, I assume the big names will have something in a few days. Then the contest will be over.

I however am not filled with ideas. I want to enter, because the idea of a VW prize is way more tempting than coming in 87th in the next derby...

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
dontwantaname wrote:You didn't buy the shirt????
Bad Poof!



I got eH's dancing turtles in a random shirt pack. Nice shirt to wear under an open short-sleeved shirt, I must add.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:I got eH's dancing turtles in a random shirt pack. Nice shirt to wear under an open short-sleeved shirt, I must add.



3 shirts get comments all the time.
The dancing turtle
Your fish in the pocket....even though your beautiful fix it job washed out and I just went at it with a magic marker!
The greedy s na il (why is that filtered?) with all the shells on his back.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

SkekTek


quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
dontwantaname wrote:3 shirts get comments all the time.
The dancing turtle
Your fish in the pocket....even though your beautiful fix it job washed out and I just went at it with a magic marker!
The greedy s na il (why is that filtered?) with all the shells on his back.



Man, I am so peeved about that shirt... Thought it was gonna be permanent with those so-called "garment" markers...

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SkekTek wrote:Man, I am so peeved about that shirt... Thought it was gonna be permanent with those so-called "garment" markers...



What happened with the markers now?

Just a guess, but "garment markers" would probably be something used for sartorial purposes, and therefore you'd want the markings to come out with no stains whatsoever, right? I really have no idea though.

You know, as much as I wear woot shirts, I almost never get any comments about them. I got a compliment on "Almost Human" once. Not sure what else...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Well, it's another Derby in which I've thought of my best idea and it's Monday night, too late to use it. I'll go ahead with the idea and draw it for another website, I guess.
sigh.

What we need is a separate Derby for late ideas. Call it a 'Second Heat' Derby.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

SkekTek wrote:Man, I am so peeved about that shirt... Thought it was gonna be permanent with those so-called "garment" markers...



The autograph faded out too.
I was getting coffee and a guy was staring at it.
No at my boobs, but the fish.
He finally said, "there is no pocket, right?"

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

eHalcyon wrote:What happened with the markers now?

Just a guess, but "garment markers" would probably be something used for sartorial purposes, and therefore you'd want the markings to come out with no stains whatsoever, right? I really have no idea though.

You know, as much as I wear woot shirts, I almost never get any comments about them. I got a compliment on "Almost Human" once. Not sure what else...



My frist comment was also getting coffee. Starbucks. The girl behind the counter said "Threadless?"
I said no, woot.
So she knew she saw the shirt somewhere online!

I haven't found anyone who knew the Boss shirt, Boss. I know.


WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

AttilaTheMom


quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom

Thanks for the happy thoughts people. I think things went well, and I like the area (there are MOUNTAINS everywhere I look!) So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AttilaTheMom wrote:Thanks for the happy thoughts people. I think things went well, and I like the area (there are MOUNTAINS everywhere I look!) So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.



Good luck!
If you get it, I hope you love the area and wonder why you never lived there!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

pooflady


quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

Before the movie started today there was I think a Sprint commercial, and some of the aps on a new phone and I could have sworn they said something about letting all your Woot friends know.

Oops, meant to put this in PWA. Sorry.



When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pooflady wrote:Before the movie started today there was I think a Sprint commercial, and some of the aps on a new phone and I could have sworn they said something about letting all your Woot friends know.

Oops, meant to put this in PWA. Sorry.



There was a woot aps in the ad for the iphone.
Full page ad.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.